Top 50 Thunder Quotes to Energize You
April 18, 2023 6:00 AM EST
Enjoy these thunder quotes about one of the earth’s many natural wonders.
Thunder is caused by air being heated by nearby lightning and rapidly expanding, creating a shock wave.
The shock wave gives off the loud, booming sound we experience and call thunder.
Tell us your favorite thunder quote in the comments section below!
You may also enjoy reading these related quotes:
The benefits of reading quotes about thunder
Reading quotes about thunder will give you a greater appreciation for this fascinating natural phenomenon.
A few interesting facts about thunder include:
- Thunder travels at the speed of sound (1,125 feet per second) at sea level.
- Thunder can be heard up to 25 miles away from the lightning that caused it
- Scientists studying the atmosphere can determine the temperature, pressure, and humidity of the air by analyzing the sound of thunder
- The fear of thunder (and lightning) is called astraphobia
While we understand a lot about thunder from a scientific standpoint, it manages to retain an air of mystery about it.
Many ancient cultures believed thunder held mythical powers.
Myths and legends surrounding thunder can be found in the folklore of Greece, Norway, China, Africa, Native Americans, and many more.
In Chinese mythology, thunder was associated with the god Lei Gong, and it was believed to be a sign of good luck and prosperity.
Ancient Hindus believed thunder symbolized power and strength and could protect the faithful by defeating demons and warding off evil spirits.
Thunder continues to be a source of pleasure and awe for many of us today.
Some people find thunderstorms to be audibly exciting, with their loud crashes and rolling waves of sound.
For others, the deep rumble of thunder is a soothing and comforting sound that helps them relax and feel calm.
One nice side effect of thunderstorms is their cooling effect.
They often bring a drop in temperature that provides relief from hot and humid weather, which frequently occurs with thunderstorms.
All in all, thunderstorms are a reminder of the power and beauty of nature, and for many, they help them feel more connected to the world around them.
Thunder quotes for Instagram
These short lines on thunder are perfect to use as an IG caption.
1. “I go where the sound of thunder is.” — Alfred M. Gray
2. “Singing in a storm silences thunder’s threats.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
3. “Thunder blossoms gorgeously above our heads.” ― Jean Toomer
4. “The stronger the thunder, the heavier the rainfall.” ― Israelmore Ayivor
5. “And somehow, the thunder in him silenced the thunder in me.” ― Mira Hadlow
6. “A storm will always have a chaotic chorus of accompaniment.” ― Anthony T. Hincks
7. “Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.” ― Rumi
8. “Be loving like a flower. Be wonderous like thunder.” ― Debasish Mridha
9. “I exist in that thunder that shakes the heart of your world and brings it down to its knees.” ― Akshay Vasu
10. “When it rains, God sits on his throne and listens to his favorite music — the sound of thunder.” ― Michael Bassey Johnson
Thunder quotes from Native American and other proverbs
As you’ll see, thunder was attached to many different meanings throughout history.
11. “Thunder heralds a new beginning.” — Sioux Proverb
12. “Thunder is the voice of the sky gods.” — Hopi Proverb
13. “The sound of thunder needs no translation.” — Gaelic Proverb
14. “Thunder brings rain, and rain brings life.” — Vietnamese Proverb
15. “When thunder roars, the clouds are speaking.” — Nigerian Proverb
16. “Thunder is nature’s warning that danger is near.” — Native American Proverb
17. “Thunder is the sound of hoofbeats in heaven.” — Native American Proverb
18. “When the thunder speaks, the spirit gods are angry.” — Native American Proverb
19. “Thunder is the warning I give to you, the voice of anger and the voice of love.” — Jamaican Proverb
20. “Thunder is the sound of the hoofbeats of the thunder god as he rides across the sky.” — Native American Proverb
Thunder quotes from African and other proverbs
Enjoy these quotes from old proverbs.
21. “The thunder speaks, but the lightning strikes.” — Zulu proverb
22. “Thunder is the herald of the coming storm.” — German Proverb
23. “Thunder heralds the arrival of the god of war.” — African Proverb
24. “Thunderbolts and lightning, the gods are angry.” — African Proverb
25. “Thunder is the sound of the voice of the Almighty.” — African Proverb
26. “When thunder arises, even the gods are afraid.” — Sri Lankan Proverb
27. “Thunder is the music of the gods, and lightning is their dance.” — African Proverb
28. “As the sound of the cymbals echoes through the hills, so the voice of the thunder rumbles through the universe.” — Chinese Proverb
29. “Thunder is the voice of the gods, and the lightning is their anger.” — Maasai proverb
30. “Thunder is the voice of heaven, and lightning is the messenger.” — Swahili Proverb
Quotes about thunder relating to gods, heaven, the soul, and peace
See the meaning of thunder that many have attached to it in the following quotes.
31. “Thunder is the footfall of the divine.” — Phaedrus
32. “Thunder is the warning voice of God.” — Anne Bradstreet
33. “The voice of thunder makes us believe in the existence of the gods” — Jean-Pierre Vernant
34. “Thunder is the herald of joy and the wail of the gods.” — Sri Aurobindo
35. “The thunder claps indicate that the gods are angry with the deeds of men.” — Lailah Gifty Akita
36. “Thunder is the tumultuous applause of the heavens, announcing a great event.” — Thomas Carlyle
37. “When thunder rolls, the brave seek shelter, the fearful run for cover, and the wise pause and reflect.” — John C. Maxwell
38. “Thunder reminds us that even the heavens scream sometimes, but that doesn’t mean they’re not still beautiful.” — R.M. Drake
39. “The thunderbolts are the arrows of the gods, the instruments of their vengeance and the symbols of their power.” — Gustave Flaubert
40. “When thunder rolls, the brave seek shelter, the fearful pray for help but the wise know that time and tide wait for no one.” — Roger L’Estrange
Inspirational and thoughtful thunder quotes to live by
Learn from these quotes about thunder.
41. “For it is when calm clouds gather that thunder is made.” ― Soroosh Shahrivar
42. “The thunder of guns split the air, and for a moment, silence.” — Max Brooks
43. “Be grateful for luck. Pay the thunder no mind — listen to the birds. And don’t hate nobody.” — Eubie Blake
44. “Thunder is nature’s paradox that makes us feel both threatened and protected at the same time.” ― Meeta Ahluwalia
45. “Rolling thunder on a sunny day is like a fit of rage with a plastered on smile… true hypocrisy.” ― Natasha Meyer
46. “If you wonder how thunder can put things asunder, ponder no further; a mature thunder does not fonder.” ― Vincent Okay Nwachukwu
47. “Only one thing that you can see and hear that is beautiful and frightening at the same time, and that is a thunderstorm.” ― R.K. Cowles
48. “As a thunderstorm clears the air and leaves the world cleansed and fresh, so forgiveness cleans the soul and makes the heart new.” — Donna Fargo
49. “The thunder rumbles in the mountain passes, and lightning rattles the eaves of our houses. Floods follow hard upon droughts; mudslides follow wildfires.” — Edward Abbey
50. “Thunder and lightning require time, the light of the stars requires time, deeds require time even after they are done before they can be seen and heard.” — Franz Kafka
Where to go to appreciate thunder
Depending on your location, you may experience thunder often or not at all.
Thunderstorms can occur anywhere in the world, but they are most common in regions with warm and humid climates.
Tropical areas and areas in the mid-latitudes experience thunderstorms most often.
For example, thunderstorms are most common in the Southeast, Midwest, and Plains regions in the United States.
They also occur more frequently in areas with complex terrains, like mountains or large hills and valleys.
In these areas, the heating and cooling of air create the ideal conditions for thunderstorms to develop.
If you haven’t experienced much thunder and wish to, your best bet is to head to Florida.
According to the National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI), Florida had the highest average number of thunderstorm days per year, averaging 90-100 days of thunderstorm occurrence in some areas.
Tell us your favorite thunder quotes in the comments section below!
If you enjoyed these quotes about thunder, share them with others by clicking the Share button!