Learn how sadness can be a point of connection with these A Long Way Down quotes.
A Long Way Down is a novel by British author Nick Hornby.
As you will see, A Long Way Down is ultimately a hopeful and uplifting novel that reminds us of the power of human connection.
Tell us your favorite A Long Way Down quote in the comment section.
What are the benefits of reading these A Long Way Down quotes?
Reading quotes from A Long Way Down reminds us of the importance of meaningful relationships and connections.
The story is about four strangers who meet on a rooftop, each with the intention of committing suicide, and the subsequent bond they form.
Both humorous and poignant, A Long Way Down explores human nature and the complexities of relationships.
The book deals with suicide, loneliness, depression, and the importance of human connection.
The four main characters of the story are:
- JJ, a failed musician
- Jess, a rebellious teenage girl
- Martin, a disgraced TV personality
- Maureen, a single mother caring for her disabled son
As they come together on the rooftop, they form an unlikely bond and decide to postpone their suicides and help each other out.
The book is told from each character’s perspective, giving the reader insight into their individual stories and motivations.
As they spend time together, they form a support group, and their lives become intertwined unexpectedly.
They discover that despite their different backgrounds and problems, they all struggle with similar issues and need connection and understanding.
The characters in A Long Way Down are given a second chance at life through their unexpected meeting on the rooftop.
The book beautifully illustrates the importance of reaching out for help and not giving up during difficult times because someone out there will know how you feel and are never alone.
Enjoy these quotes from A Long Way Down.
Top Ten A Long Way Down Quotes
Here is a list of the ten best quotes from A Long Way Down, authored by Nick Hornby.
1. “Human beings are millions of things in one day.” — Nick Hornby
2. “Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.” — Nick Hornby
3. “There’s nothing you can’t fuck up if you try hard enough.” — Nick Hornby
3. “I read the fuck out of every book I can get my hands on.” — Nick Hornby
4. “Everyone knows how to talk, and no one knows what to say.” — Nick Hornby
5. “Life is what happens while you’re busy making other plans.” — Nick Hornby
6. “Sometimes the truth hurts. And sometimes it feels real good.” — Nick Hornby
7. “Even bad times have good things in them to make you feel alive.” — Nick Hornby
8. “One could argue that most of the trouble in the world is caused by introspection.” — Nick Hornby
9. “When your sad–like really sad–you only want to be with other people who are sad.” — Nick Hornby
10. “People should take risks with their life. It’s the fear of the unknown that keeps us stuck in the same place.” — Nick Hornby
Humorous A Long Way Down Quotes
Despite the serious nature of the book, it has many funny moments.
11. “He’s at the chocolate teapot end of the competency scale.” — Nick Hornby
12. “You’re not allowed to say anything about books because they’re books, and books are, you know, God.” — Nick Hornby
13. “‘The fuck?’ means ‘What the fuck?’ In America, they’re so busy that they don’t have time to say the ‘what.’” — Nick Hornby
14. “I don’t think you can call it stalking when it’s just phone calls and letters and emails and knocking on the door.” — Nick Hornby
15. “You can’t keep the birds of sadness from flying over your head, but you can keep them from nesting in your hair.” — Nick Hornby
16. “It’s no good pretending that any relationship has a future if your record collections disagree violently or if your favorite films wouldn’t even speak to each other if they met at a party.” — Nick Hornby
Quotes About Living and Dying
Here are some memorable A Long Way Down quotes about life and death.
17. “In my day, people got shot at the end of films, after learning only that life is hollow, dismal, brutish, and short.” — Nick Hornby
18. “Sometimes you don’t need a goal in life; you don’t need to know the big picture. You just need to know what you’re going to do next!” — Nick Hornby
19. “There’s no point in asking yourself what’s the meaning of life if you’re the kind of person who thinks it’s just a matter of getting up in the morning and watching the sunrise.” — Nick Hornby
20. “And it isn’t that I’m so unhappy I don’t want to live anymore. That’s not what it feels like. It feels more like I’m tired and bored, and the party’s gone on too long and I want to go home. I feel flat and there doesn’t seem to be anything to look forward to, so I’d rather call it a day.” — Nick Hornby
A Long Way Down Quotes About Sadness
Being sad is a prominent theme in the book and is something the characters bond over.
21. “Do people get sad on holiday sometimes? I can imagine they do, having all that time to think.” — Nick Hornby
22. “When your sad–like really sad–you only want to be with other people who are sad.” — Nick Hornby
23. “Once you stop pretending that everything’s shitty and you can’t wait to get out of it…then it gets more painful, not less.” — Nick Hornby
24. “And another way of explaining it is to say that shit happens, and there’s no space too small, too dark and airless and fucking hopeless, for people to crawl into.” — Nick Hornby
25. “If you haven’t heard him…man, it’s like he boiled down all the melancholy in the world, all the bruises and all the fucked-up dreams you’ve let go, and poured the essence into a little tiny bottle and corked it up.” — Nick Hornby
More Books from Nick Hornby
Nick Hornby is a well-known author and has written several books besides A Long Way Down.
You have likely heard of many of his other works if you haven’t already read them.
Some of Hornby’s most well-known books include:
1. High Fidelity
This novel follows the story of a record store owner, Rob Fleming, who revisits his past relationships after his girlfriend leaves him.
2. About a Boy
This is the story of a shallow bachelor named Will who befriends a 12-year-old boy named Marcus, leading to unexpected personal growth for them both.
3. Juliet, Naked
This book is about a woman named Annie who begins a correspondence with the former rock star Tucker Crowe, who is also the ex-boyfriend of her partner.
4. Fever Pitch
This non-fiction work chronicles Hornby’s obsession with soccer.
All the books listed here have also been adapted into major motion pictures, as was A Long Way Down in 2014.
Tell us your favorite quote in the comment section.
If you liked these quotes from A Long Way Down, please share them with others by clicking the Share button!