Admiral McRaven Quotes From the Retired Navy Admiral
May 24, 2023 1:43 AM EST
Take a look at these Admiral McRaven quotes by this high-achieving former Naval Officer.
William Harry McRaven was born in Pinehurst, North Carolina, in 1955.
He graduated from The University of Texas at Austin and has a master’s degree from the Naval Postgraduate School.
McRaven is a retired Navy four-star admiral who became the ninth commander of the United States Special Operations Command from 2011 through 2014.
You will also enjoy our articles on:
McRaven went through BUD/S training and became a Navy Seal in 1978.
He then served under the command of the legendary Commander Richard Marcinko.
He rose to the rank of assault team leader before being let go by Marcinko due to differing ideas on leadership.
He was assigned to an East Coast Seal Team, where he continued to serve and eventually became the leader of the “Task Force 714” battle group, which focused on targeting Al Qaeda in Iraq.
Take a look at these Admiral McRaven quotes to learn more about his career.
The Best Admiral McRaven Quotes
Here are some of the best Admiral McRaven Quotes!
1. “I’m not a political guy.” — Admiral McRaven
2. “At some point, we will all confront a dark moment in life.” — Admiral McRaven
3. “Work hard. Be humble, and I think that will serve you well in life.” — Admiral McRaven
4. “Changing the world can happen anywhere, and anyone can do it.” — Admiral McRaven
5. “That obstacle course is going to beat you every time unless you start taking some risks.” — Admiral McRaven
6. “SEALs aren’t the only heroes out there. Everyone who puts on a uniform meets that threshold.” — Admiral McRaven
7. “Sometimes, no matter how well you prepare or how well you perform, you still end up a ‘sugar cookie.’” — Admiral McRaven
8. “I think ninjas are probably quieter than SEALs, but we are better swimmers, and also better with guns and blowing things up.” — Admiral McRaven
9. “It is easy to think that where you were raised, how your parents treated you, or what school you went to is all that determines your future. Nothing could be further from the truth.” — Admiral McRaven
10. “But if you take some risks, step up when times are toughest, face down the bullies, lift up the downtrodden, and never, ever give up—if you do these things, then you can change your life for the better… and maybe the world!”— Admiral McRaven
Wise Admiral McRaven Quotes
Here are some wise quotes from Admiral McRaven
11. “Keep your cool, even when those around you can’t.” — Admiral McRaven
12. “If you want to change the world, find someone to help you paddle.” — Admiral McRaven
13. “If you can’t do the little things right, you will never do the big things right.” — Admiral McRaven
14. “If you want to be a SEAL, you must do two things: Listen to your parents and be nice to the other kids.” — Admiral McRaven
15. “Without courage, men will be ruled by tyrants and despots. Without courage, no great society can flourish.” — Admiral McRaven
16. “Bullies are all the same, whether they are in the schoolyard, in the workplace, or ruling a country through terror. They thrive on fear and intimidation.” — Admiral McRaven
17. “Our struggles in this world are similar, and the lessons to overcome those struggles and to move forward changing ourselves and changing the world around us will apply equally to all.” — Admiral McRaven
Inspirational Admiral McRaven Quotes
These quotes from Admiral McRaven are sure to inspire you to greatness!
18. “Sometimes all it takes is one person to make a difference.” — Admiral McRaven
19. “Help as many people as you can. Make as many friends as you can.” — Admiral McRaven
20. “I realized that the past failures had strengthened me, taught me that no one is immune from mistakes.” — Admiral McRaven
21. “With hope, you can inspire nations to greatness. With hope, you can raise up the downtrodden.” — Admiral McRaven
22. “In a special operations mission, the concept of speed is simple. Get to your objective as fast as possible.” — Admiral McRaven
23. “True leaders must learn from their failures, use the lessons to motivate themselves, and not be afraid to try again or make the next tough decision.” — Admiral McRaven
24. “Life is a struggle, and the potential for failure is ever present, but those who live in fear of failure, or hardship, or embarrassment will never achieve their potential.” — Admiral McRaven
25. “And if by chance you have a miserable day, you will come home to a bed that is made – that you made – and a made bed gives you encouragement that tomorrow will be better.” — Admiral McRaven
Admiral McRaven’s Military Retirement
In June 2014, Admiral McRaven retired from his 37-year career, and in 2015 he became the chancellor of the University of Texas System.
He served in this role until 2018, when he stepped down due to health and a desire to spend time with his family, including his wife, Georgeann Brady, and their three children.
Please share these Admiral McRaven quotes with your friends and family and post any comments about the Admiral in the comment section below.