These Navy quotes and sayings show us why having a strong Navy force is important to maintaining peace and stability in the United States.
All factions of the United States military are incredibly important to maintaining peace and protecting our country and each sector has a very specific role.
Since three sides of the continental U.S. are surrounded by water, it is important to have a strong Navy force.
The Navy is in charge of defending against offensive operations carried out by enemy forces and in protecting our borders, territory, and trade.
Here is our list of Navy quotes and sayings that honor the United States Navy and share the Navy’s strong philosophy of teamwork and leadership.
Don’t forget to also check out these military quotes to honor our heroes.
Famous Navy quotes and sayings
1. “I have not yet begun to fight!” — John Paul Jones
2. “I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm’s way.” — John Paul Jones
3. “Don’t give up the ship!” — James Lawerence
4. “We have met the enemy and they are ours…” — Oliver Hazard Perry
5. “Damn the torpedoes, Full speed ahead!” — David Glasgow Farragut
6. “Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!” — Howell Maurice Forgy
7. “Sighted Sub, Sank Same.” — Donald Francis Mason
8. “Anchors aweigh, my boys, anchors aweigh.” — Joyce Eilers & Bob Lowden
9. “Farewell to foreign shores, we sail at break of day, of day.” — Joyce Eilers & Bob Lowden
10. “Through our last night ashore, drink to the foam.” — Joyce Eilers & Bob Lowden
11. “Until we meet again, here’s wishing you a happy voyage home.” — Joyce Eilers & Bob Lowden
12. “And without a respectable navy – alas, America!” – John Paul Jones
Navy quotes about the Navy
13. “It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.” — George Washington
14. “A good Navy is not a provocation to war. It is the surest guaranty of peace.” — President Theodore Roosevelt
15. “A navy is essentially and necessarily aristocratic.” – John Paul Jones
16. “My plan for forming a proper corps of sea officers is by teaching them the naval tactics in a fleet of evolution.” – John Paul Jones
17. “A captain of the line must at this day be a tactician.” – John Paul Jones
18. “But I need use no arguments to convince you of the necessity of making the emoluments of our navy equal, if not superior, to theirs.” – John Paul Jones
19. “Much wisdom, and more knowledge than we possess, is in my humble opinion necessary to the formation of such a naval constitution as is absolutely wanting.” – John Paul Jones
20. “I propose not our enemies as an example for our general imitation, yet, as their navy is the best regulated of any in the world, we must, in some degree, imitate them and aim at such farther improvement as may one day make ours vie with – and exceed – theirs.” – John Paul Jones
21. “There is now, perhaps, as much difference between a battle between two ships and an engagement between two fleets, as there is between a duel and a ranged battle between two armies.” – John Paul Jones
22. “The Navy has both a tradition and a future ─ and we look with pride and confidence in both directions.” — George Anderson
Navy SEAL quotes and sayings
23. “The only easy day was yesterday.” — Unknown
24. “Get comfortable being uncomfortable.” — Unknown
25. “Don’t run to your death.” — Unknown
26. “Have a shared sense of purpose.” — Unknown
27. “Move, shoot, communicate.” — Unknown
28. “No plan survives first contact with the enemy.” — Unknown
29. “All in, all the time.” — Unknown
Motivational Navy quotes about teamwork and leadership
30. “It doesn’t take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.” – General Norman Schwarzkopf
31. “If there is not the war, you don’t get the great general; if there is not a great occasion, you don’t get a great statesman; if Lincoln had lived in a time of peace, no one would have known his name.” — Theodore Roosevelt
32. “Because the crew was convinced that I was “on their team” there were never any issues with negative criticism… You as a mentor have to establish that you are sincerely interested in the problems of the person you are mentoring.” — David Marquet
33. “In teamwork, silence isn’t golden. It’s deadly.” — Mark Sanborn
34. “Effective teamwork begins and ends with communication.” — Mike Krzyzewski
35. “If we don’t communicate, we certainly can’t get much done and if we don’t communicate authentically, what we get done is less effective.” — Michele Jennae
36. “A leader must inspire or his team will expire.” — Orrin Woodward
37. “There is no such thing as a self-made man. You will reach your goals only with the help of others.” — George Shinn
38. “Trust is knowing that when a team member does push you, they’re doing it because they care about the team.” — Patrick Lencioni
39. “Teamwork builds trust and trust builds speed.” — Russel Honore
40. “A team is not a group of people who work together. It is a group of people who trust each other.” — Simon Sinek
Other inspirational US Navy quotes
41. You may fire when you are ready Gridley.” — George Dewey
42. “I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: ‘I served in the United States Navy.” – John F. Kennedy
43. “Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.” — John F. Kennedy
44. “For the first time in a long time, I felt like I had a purpose being in the Navy. It wasn’t about money and rank or prestige. It was about raising the flag. We do what we do because no one else can or will do it. We fight so others can sleep at night. And I had forgotten that.” – Timothy Ciciora
45. “The world is a navy in an empty ocean.” — Dejan Stojanovic
46. “You should be concerned when a corrupt government has control of nuclear weapons, nuclear power generation facilities and a nuclear-powered navy.” ― Steven Magee
47. “The battle of Iwo Island [Jima] has been won. The United States Marines, by their individual and collective courage, have conquered a base which is as necessary to us in our continuing forward movement toward final victory as it was vital to the enemy in staving off ultimate defeat…. Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue.” — Chester W. Nimitz
48. “For in this modern world, the instruments of warfare are not solely for waging war. Far more importantly, they are the means for controlling peace. Naval officers must therefore understand not only how to fight a war, but how to use the tremendous power which they operate to sustain a world of liberty and justice, without unleashing the powerful instruments of destruction and chaos that they have at their command.” — Arleigh Burke
49. “Events of October 1962 indicated, as they had all through history, that control of the sea means security. Control of the seas can mean peace. Control of the seas can mean victory. The United States must control the seas if it is to protect your security…” — John F. Kennedy
50. “I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: ‘I served in the United States Navy.’” — John F. Kennedy
What did you learn from these Navy quotes?
While great teamwork and leadership are important in all aspects of society, it is especially crucial to have excellent teamwork and leadership in the military. Sailors in the Navy must have a special sense of comradery and trust because they have to rely on each other for survival. Often, during their missions, lives are at stake, and so a strong sense of teamwork and leadership must be in place.
There is so much we can learn from those in the military and so much to be grateful for. We honor all military veterans whether they be sailors, soldiers, marines, or airmen, and thank them for the service they have provided to our country and people.
Did you enjoy these Navy quotes and sayings? Which quote was your favorite? Let us know in the comments below.
July 27, 2021 7:00 AM EST