These Navy quotes and sayings show us why having a strong Navy force is important to maintaining peace and stability in the United States.
All factions of the United States military are incredibly important to maintaining peace and protecting our country and each sector has a very specific role.
Since three sides of the continental U.S. are surrounded by water, it is important to have a strong Navy force.
The Navy is in charge of defending against offensive operations carried out by enemy forces and in protecting our borders, territory, and trade.
Here is our list of Navy quotes and sayings that honor the United States Navy and share the Navy’s strong philosophy of teamwork and leadership.
Don’t forget to also check out these military quotes to honor our heroes.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
Browse our entire collection of inspirational quotes for more motivating ideas and concepts.
Famous Navy quotes and sayings
1. “I have not yet begun to fight!” — John Paul Jones
2. “A good Navy is not a provocation to war. It is the surest guaranty of peace.” — President Theodore Roosevelt
3. “Don’t give up the ship!” — James Lawerence
4. “We have met the enemy and they are ours…” — Oliver Hazard Perry
5. “Damn the torpedoes, Full speed ahead!” — David Glasgow Farragut
6. “Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!” — Howell Maurice Forgy
7. “Sighted Sub, Sank Same.” — Donald Francis Mason
8. “Anchors aweigh, my boys, anchors aweigh.” — Joyce Eilers & Bob Lowden
9. “Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.” – Shane Patton
10. “No matter what happens, the U.S. Navy is not going to be caught napping.” – Frank Knox
Navy quotes about the Navy
11. “Until we meet again, here’s wishing you a happy voyage home.” — Joyce Eilers & Bob Lowden
12. “And without a respectable navy – alas, America!” – John Paul Jones
13. “It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.” — George Washington
14. “I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm’s way.” — John Paul Jones
15. “A navy is essentially and necessarily aristocratic.” – John Paul Jones
16. “My plan for forming a proper corps of sea officers is by teaching them the naval tactics in a fleet of evolution.” – John Paul Jones
17. “A captain of the line must at this day be a tactician.” – John Paul Jones
18. “But I need use no arguments to convince you of the necessity of making the emoluments of our navy equal, if not superior, to theirs.” – John Paul Jones
19. “Much wisdom, and more knowledge than we possess, is in my humble opinion necessary to the formation of such a naval constitution as is absolutely wanting.” – John Paul Jones
20. “I propose not our enemies as an example for our general imitation, yet, as their navy is the best regulated of any in the world, we must, in some degree, imitate them and aim at such farther improvement as may one day make ours vie with – and exceed – theirs.” – John Paul Jones
21. “There is now, perhaps, as much difference between a battle between two ships and an engagement between two fleets, as there is between a duel and a ranged battle between two armies.” – John Paul Jones
22. “The Navy has both a tradition and a future ─ and we look with pride and confidence in both directions.” — George Anderson
Navy SEAL quotes and sayings
23. “All your excuses are lies.” – Jocko Willink
24. “I don’t stop when I’m tired, I stop when I’m done.” – David Goggins
25. “It’s all mind over matter, if I don’t mind, then it doesn’t matter.” – Kory Knowles
26. “Farewell to foreign shores, we sail at break of day, of day.” — Joyce Eilers & Bob Lowden
27. “Truly – my mind never told me to give up though my body was beaten down.” – Stew Smith
28. “Your mind is the epicenter of sustained personal growth. Strengthen it in silence.” – Mark Divine
29. “The Navy ship returned fire after being fired upon.” —Charlie Brown
Motivational Navy quotes about teamwork and leadership
30. “It doesn’t take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.” – General Norman Schwarzkopf
31. “If there is not the war, you don’t get the great general; if there is not a great occasion, you don’t get a great statesman; if Lincoln had lived in a time of peace, no one would have known his name.” — Theodore Roosevelt
32. “Because the crew was convinced that I was “on their team” there were never any issues with negative criticism… You as a mentor have to establish that you are sincerely interested in the problems of the person you are mentoring.” — David Marquet
33. “In teamwork, silence isn’t golden. It’s deadly.” — Mark Sanborn
34. “Effective teamwork begins and ends with communication.” — Mike Krzyzewski
35. “If we don’t communicate, we certainly can’t get much done and if we don’t communicate authentically, what we get done is less effective.” — Michele Jennae
36. “A leader must inspire or his team will expire.” — Orrin Woodward
37. “There is no such thing as a self-made man. You will reach your goals only with the help of others.” — George Shinn
38. “Trust is knowing that when a team member does push you, they’re doing it because they care about the team.” — Patrick Lencioni
39. “Teamwork builds trust and trust builds speed.” — Russel Honore
40. “A team is not a group of people who work together. It is a group of people who trust each other.” — Simon Sinek
Other inspirational US Navy quotes
41. You may fire when you are ready Gridley.” — George Dewey
42. “I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: ‘I served in the United States Navy.” – John F. Kennedy
43. “Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.” — John F. Kennedy
44. “For the first time in a long time, I felt like I had a purpose being in the Navy. It wasn’t about money and rank or prestige. It was about raising the flag. We do what we do because no one else can or will do it. We fight so others can sleep at night. And I had forgotten that.” – Timothy Ciciora
45. “The world is a navy in an empty ocean.” — Dejan Stojanovic
46. “You should be concerned when a corrupt government has control of nuclear weapons, nuclear power generation facilities and a nuclear-powered navy.” ― Steven Magee
47. “I’m a huge fan of the Navy. My father was a Naval historian, and I’ve been studying Naval battles forever.” – Peter Berg
48. “I’m blessed to be in a command position in a Navy this good.” – Michael Mullen
49. “Events of October 1962 indicated, as they had all through history, that control of the sea means security. Control of the seas can mean peace. Control of the seas can mean victory. The United States must control the seas if it is to protect your security…” — John F. Kennedy
50. “I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: ‘I served in the United States Navy.’” — John F. Kennedy
More navy quotes and sayings
51. “I’m glad I was in the Navy.” – Yogi Berra
52. “It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it is not fought on U.S. soil.” – Chester W. Nimitz
53. “The Navy speaks in symbols and you may suit what meaning you choose to the words.” – Patrick O’Brian
54. “I was in World War II; I cried when they took me in the Navy. That’s the last time I cried.” – Don Rickles
55. “Through our last night ashore, drink to the foam.” — Joyce Eilers & Bob Lowden
56. “My grandfather was a commander in the Navy. He was very proud of his service, and he lived his entire life as though he was still serving.” – Dean Cain
57. “I know from my experience as a Navy SEAL that barriers work.” – Dan Crenshaw
58. “We all know the Navy is never wrong, but in this case it was a little weak on being right.”
– Wendell Mayes
59. “The United States Navy is the envy of every other navy in the world. They don’t want to be like us–they want to be us.” – Leighton Smith
60. “The Navy is much more than a job; much more than service to country. It is a way of life. It gets in your blood.” – Albert F. Pratt
Navy quotes and sayings about excelling
61. “A captain of the Navy ought to be a man of strong and well-connected sense, with a tolerable good education, a gentleman, as well as a seaman both in theory and practice.” – John Paul Jones
62. “We were rugged individualists in the Navy, but we all had health care.” – Joe Sestak
63. “For much of my life, the Navy was the only world I knew. It is still the world I know best and love most.” – John McCain
64. “Whatever may be my feelings of personal gratitude to the Navy of the United States, I feel myself under still greater obligations to them for the honor they have done to the American name in every part of the globe.” – Marquis de Lafayette
65. “Being a Navy SEAL and sniper taught me all about risk management. Take away all the risk variables under your control and reduce it to an acceptable level. The same fundamentals apply in business.” – Brandon Webb
66. “My father volunteered in early 1941, before Pearl Harbor, and became an officer in the U.S. Navy. As I was growing up, he taught me the responsibility of command: A leader is ultimately responsible for every aspect of the welfare of people under his or her care. That was a deeply felt obligation in his generation.” – Chelsey Sullenberger
67. “All of our men and women in uniform, including our brave sailors in the U.S. Navy, deserve to have the best tools needed to carry out their mission to support and defend the Constitution of the United States.” – Lauren Boebert
68. “If I were to listen to people all the time when they say, ‘Hey, this is a really high challenge, this is a high climb, the bar is pretty steep,’ then I wouldn’t have gone to the academy. I wouldn’t have become an aircraft carrier pilot. I wouldn’t have become a Navy SEAL for sure. And I probably wouldn’t have applied to Harvard.” – Gabriel E. Gomez
69. “As a Navy SEAL, and sniper, one of the things I learned was that excellence matters.” – Brandon Webb
70. “I wanted to be a veterinarian and go to school in Boston. It didn’t quite work out that way, and I ended up joining the Navy as a suggestion of my big brother. It was really awesome – and I didn’t realize it at the time, -but provided a lot of leadership and followership teamwork opportunities.” – Sunita Williams
Navy quotes and sayings about safety and protection
71. “For in this modern world, the instruments of warfare are not solely for waging war. Far more importantly, they are the means for controlling peace. Naval officers must therefore understand not only how to fight a war, but how to use the tremendous power which they operate to sustain a world of liberty and justice, without unleashing the powerful instruments of destruction and chaos that they have at their command.” – Admiral Arleigh Burke
72. “I’ve been to a number of places and seen for myself the caliber of people who are in the Navy today – in all the services for that matter. This is an altogether different bunch. These people of today are really bright, young, good people.” – Ernest Borgnine
73. “To compel the nation with challenge the traditional American doctrine of freedom of the seas, every man and every ship in the navy is solemnly pledged.” – Josephus Daniels
74. “Obviously I was challenged by becoming a Naval aviator, by landing aboard aircraft carriers and so on.” – Alan Shepard
75. “The US Navy has several people on every ship that can navigate by the stars. They don’t fool with that.” – BIll Nye
76. “Hearts of oak are our ships, Gallant tars are our men.” – David Garrick
77. “The Navy is very old and very wise.” – Rudyard Kipling
78. “There’s this misconception that the Navy is this cruise ship, and you get to go out and sail around, and every now and then, you have to swab the deck. But, no, it is a very impressive group of young people that live at sea, in this place that’s very uncomfortable. They exude a pride that is well-deserved.” – Tom Hanks
79. “If you’ve never met a navy seal and you ran into one at a bar, you probably still wouldn’t know he’s a navy seal.” – Howard E. Wasdin
80. “Where’er thy navy spreads her canvas wings, homage to thee, and peace to all, she brings.” – Edmund Waller
Navy Quotes And Sayings To Celebrate Their Dedication
81. “The heart and soul of a Navy SEAL is somebody who’s committed to their country and committed to their teammates.” ― Howard E. Wasdin
82. “The contention that a standing army and navy is the best security of peace is about as logical as the claim that the most peaceful citizen is he who goes about heavily armed.” ― Emma Goldman
83. “If it takes the entire army and navy to deliver a postcard in Chicago, that card will be delivered.” ― Grover Cleveland
84. “Before the BBC, I joined the Navy in order to travel.” ― David Attenborough
85. “I went to military college in Canada and graduated as an officer in the Navy but also as an engineer.” ― Marc Garneau
86. “I always wanted to go into the military or something like that – my whole family, all my friends are either Air Force, Navy, or Marines.” ― RJ Mitte
87. “I enlisted when I was a boy. The Navy looked after me like my mother. It fed me, took care of me and gave me wonderful opportunities.” ― Tony Curtis
88. “In armies, navies, cities, or families, in nature herself, nothing more relaxes good order than misery.” ― Herman Melville
89. “I joined the Navy hoping to be a submariner and ended up in the sub service aboard a tender in the Pacific.” ― Tony Curtis
90. “I have the complete support of the military. I personally served in the navy.” ― Juan Manuel Santos
What did you learn from these Navy quotes?
While great teamwork and leadership are important in all aspects of society, it is especially crucial to have excellent teamwork and leadership in the military.
Sailors in the Navy must have a special sense of comradery and trust because they have to rely on each other for survival.
Often, during their missions, lives are at stake, and so a strong sense of teamwork and leadership must be in place.
There is so much we can learn from those in the military and so much to be grateful for.
We honor all military veterans whether they be sailors, soldiers, marines, or airmen, and thank them for the service they have provided to our country and people.
Did you enjoy these Navy quotes and sayings?
Which quote was your favorite?
Let us know in the comments below.
September 27, 2022 5:00 AM EST