These martial arts quotes from the world’s favorite martial artists will inspire you to know when to fight and when to choose peace instead.
While Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Chuck Norris are all well-known for their movie careers as martial artists on the silver screen, they were and are all great martial artists off set as well.
Bruce Lee was a master in Chinese martial arts, boxing, Jeet Kune Do, and Wing Chun. Jackie Chan is also a master in Chinese martial arts and Jeet Kune Do, as well as Taekwondo, Judo, and Hapkido.
Chuck Norris founded a karate style called Chun Kuk Do which is based in Tang Soo Do. He also has a 3rd-degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and has practiced in karate, Judo, and Taekwondo.
Miyamoto Musashi was a Japanese fighter in the 17th century whose philosophy of fighting and of life is still studied today.
Taekwondo and martial arts quotes from Bruce Lee
1. “If you truly love life, don’t waste time because time is what life is made of.” – Bruce Lee
2. “Don’t fear failure. — Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.” – Bruce Lee
3. “The great mistake is to anticipate the outcome of the engagement; you ought not to be thinking of whether it ends in victory or defeat. Let nature take its course, and your tools will strike at the right moment.”- Bruce Lee
4. “Defeat is a state of mind; no one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as a reality.” – Bruce Lee
5. “It’s not the daily increase but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential.” – Bruce Lee
6. “Do not allow negative thoughts to enter your mind for they are the weeds that strangle confidence.” – Bruce Lee
7. “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” – Bruce Lee
8. “The successful warrior is the average man, with laser-like focus.” – Bruce Lee
9. “In order to control myself I must first accept myself by going with and not against my nature.” – Bruce Lee
10. “In the middle of chaos lies opportunity” – Bruce Lee
Martial arts quotes from Chuck Norris
11. “I don’t initiate violence; I retaliate.” — Chuck Norris
12. “Whatever luck I had, I made. I was never a natural athlete, but I paid my dues in sweat and concentration and took the time necessary to learn karate and become world champion.” — Chuck Norris
13. “From 1964 to 1968, I won many state, national, and international amateur karate titles.” — Chuck Norris
14. “I’ve got a bulletin for you, folks. I am no superman. I realize that now, but I didn’t always.” — Chuck Norris
15. “As a six-time world karate champion and then a movie star, I put too much trust in who I was, what I could do, and what I acquired. I forgot how much I needed others, and especially God.” — Chuck Norris
16. “In 1968, I fought and won the world middleweight karate championship by defeating the world’s top fighters. I then held that title until 1974, when I retired undefeated.” — Chuck Norris
17. “Martial arts was really the first thing in my life that I followed through on and accomplished a degree of proficiency for.” — Chuck Norris
18. “It wasn’t until I went to Korea out of high school and got exposed to the martial arts for the first time and was just completely enamored with the physical ability of the martial arts and making my black belt.” — Chuck Norris
19. “Anytime you get action legends together, it has to be a classic.” — Chuck Norris
20. “What was Bruce Lee like? How did you meet? What was it like to choreograph the fight scene in Rome with him? Did you spend much time together off-screen? Those are a small sampling of the inquiries I’m asked often wherever I go around the world.” — Chuck Norris
Martial arts quotes from Jackie Chan
21. “Do not let circumstances control you. You change your circumstances.” – Jackie Chan
22. “I do small things. I try to do good things every day.” – Jackie Chan
23. “The ads all call me fearless, but that’s just publicity. Anyone who thinks I’m not scared out of my mind whenever I do one of my stunts is crazier than I am.” – Jackie Chan
24. “When you are learning about a martial art, it is about respect.” – Jackie Chan
25. “The best fights are the ones we avoid.” – Jackie Chan
26. “Kung fu lives in everything we do. It lives in how we put on a jacket and how we take off a jacket. It lives in how we treat people. Everything is kung fu.” – Jackie Chan
27. “We learn martial arts as helping weakness. You never fight for people to get hurt. You’re always helping people.” – Jackie Chan
28. “I hate violence, yes I do. It’s kind of a dilemma, huh?” – Jackie Chan
29. “I’m tired of fighting. I’ve always known that I can’t be an action star all my life.” – Jackie Chan
30. “Bruce Lee brought the martial arts movie to the attention of the world – and without him, I don’t think that anyone would have ever heard of Jackie Chan.” – Jackie Chan
Martial arts quotes from Miyamoto Musashi
31. “I have trained in the way of strategy since my youth, and at the age of thirteen, I fought a duel for the first time. My opponent was called Arima Kihei, a sword adept of the Shinto ryū, and I defeated him.” — Miyamoto Musashi
32. “At the age of sixteen, I defeated a powerful adept by the name of Akiyama, who came from Tajima Province. At the age of twenty-one, I went up to Kyōtō and fought duels with several adepts of the sword from famous schools, but I never lost.” — Miyamoto Musashi
33. “From one thing, know ten thousand things.” ― Miyamoto Musashi
34. “In battle, if you make your opponent flinch, you have already won.” ― Miyamoto Musashi
35. “You can only fight the way you practice.” ― Miyamoto Musashi
36. “If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you.” ― Miyamoto Musashi
37. “The important thing in strategy is to suppress the enemy’s useful actions but allow his useless actions.” ― Miyamoto Musashi
38. “The only reason a warrior is alive is to fight, and the only reason a warrior fights is to win.” ― Miyamoto Musashi
39. “To become the enemy, see yourself as the enemy of the enemy.” ― Miyamoto Musashi
40. “Know your enemy, know his sword.” ― Miyamoto Musashi
Motivational martial arts quotes
41. “However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.” — Winston Churchill
42. “You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
43. “A good battle plan that you act on today can be better than a perfect one tomorrow.” — General George S. Patton
44. “The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in combat.” — Richard Marcinko
45. “On the day of victory no fatigue is felt.” — German Proverb
46. “Good judgement is the result of experience, and experience the result of bad judgement.” — Mark Twain
47. “Call no man happy till he is dead.” — Aeschylus
48. “Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes.” — Gautama Buddha
49. “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” — Confucius
50. “Overnight success feels great after playing 10 years in honky-tonks behind chicken wire.” — Willie Nelson
Who is your favorite martial artist?
While Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, and Chuck Norris are all famous for the many roles they have played in Hollywood films, Miyamoto Musashi might be a little less known.
Musashi grew up on a farm in Japan during the late 1500s. He is well-known for being an accomplished sword-fighter and he fought his first duel at the age of 13 where he won against a grown man.
However, Musashi was also an incredibly accomplished martial artist. He wrote two documents in his lifetime, The Book of Five Rings, which describes in detail his martial arts style, and The Path of Aloneness, which covers the philosophy behind his fighting technique as well as his ideas on life.
We hope you enjoyed these martial arts quotes and sayings. Let us know your favorite quote in the comment below!
July 27, 2021 7:00 AM EST