If you were a fan of the show, share your favorite Alias Grace quotes with us.
Alias Grace is a Canadian TV series based on Margaret Atwood’s 1996 true story novel. The series revolves around Grace, a woman living in the 1800s who is imprisoned for murder for the past 15 years. However, she has no memory of the actual murders or the events that lead to the actual crime.
Grace was a product of a dysfunctional society. She was sexually abused by her father and lived a poor life all her life. Furthermore, the story highlighted the dangerous and unforgiving world women had to live during those times which still exist in our society.
Here are the bravest Alias Grace quotes you don’t wanna miss.
Don’t forget to also check out these Margaret Atwood quotes that prove words are powerful.
Alias Grace quotes from Grace Marks
1. “You should never let your picture be in a magazine or newspaper if you can help it, as you never know what ends your face may be made to serve by others, once it has got out of your control.” — Grace Marks
2. “Those who have been in trouble themselves are alert to it in others.” — Grace Marks
3. “There is no use crying over spilt milk if you don’t know whether the milk is spilt or not.” — Grace Marks
4. “The road to death is a lonely highway, and longer than it appears, even when it leads straight down from the scaffold, by way of a rope. And it’s a dark road, with never any moon shining on it, to light your way.” — Grace Marks
5. “Once you are found with a man in your room, you are the guilty one, no matter how they get in.” — Grace Marks
6. “If the world treats you well, sir, you come to believe you are deserving of it.” — Grace Marks
7. “Having a thought is not the same as doing it. If we were all on trial for our thoughts, we would all be hanged.” — Grace Marks
8. “A little white lie is a small price to pay for peace and quiet.” — Grace Marks
9. “When people are afraid, they often behave with cruelty.” — Grace Marks
10. “To go from a familiar thing into the unknown, is always a matter for apprehension.” — Grace Marks
11. “People want a guilty person. If there has been a crime, they want to know who did it.” — Grace Marks
12. “It is not always the one who strikes the blow, that is the actual murderer.” — Grace Marks
13. “Guilt comes to you not from the things you have done, but from the things others have done to you.” — Grace Marks
Alias Grace quotes from Mary Whitney
14. “We didn’t lose. We just haven’t won yet.” — Mary Whitney
15. “The difference between ignorant and stupid is that ignorant can learn.” — Mary Whitney
16. “Because men are liars by nature, Grace. They’ll say anything to get what they want out of you, then think better of it and be off on the next boat.” — Mary Whitney
Alias Grace quotes from the novel
17. “If we were all on trial for our thoughts, we would all be hanged.” — Margaret Atwood, Alias Grace
18. “Gone mad is what they say, and sometimes Run mad, as if mad is a different direction, like west; as if mad is a different house you could step into, or a separate country entirely. But when you go mad you don’t go any other place, you stay where you are. And somebody else comes in.” — Margaret Atwood, Alias Grace
19. “There is no fool like an educated fool…” — Margaret Atwood, Alias Grace
20. “I am afraid of falling into hopeless despair, over my wasted life, and I am still not sure how it happened.” — Margaret Atwood, Alias Grace
21. “The small details of life often hide a great significance.” — Margaret Atwood, Alias Grace
22. “A prison does not only lock its inmates inside, it keeps all others out. Her strongest prison is of her own construction.” — Margaret Atwood, Alias Grace
23. “When I was younger I used to think that if I could hug myself tight enough I could make myself smaller, because there was never enough room for me, at home or anywhere, but if I was smaller then I would fit in.” — Margaret Atwood, Alias Grace
24. “I am certain that a Sewing Machine would relieve as much human suffering as a hundred Lunatic Asylums, and possibly a good deal more.” — Margaret Atwood, Alias Grace
25. “People dressed in a certain kind of clothing are never wrong. Also, they never fart.” — Margaret Atwood, Alias Grace
What did you learn from these Alias Grace quotes?
The series presented interesting story building by unfolding each event gradually making the viewer question their initial judgement of the murder.
In addition, the series highlighted the wonders of human psychology and how the mind adapts to the pleasures and trauma it experiences.
Grace was able to get pardoned for her crime, and lived a married and peaceful life. In the end, it was revealed that the narration was a long letter written by Grace to Dr. Jordan, her long-lost lover, who unbeknownst to her, was severely injured and in a semi-catatonic state.
After reading these Alias Grace quotes and sayings, share the melodramatic ending of this series with your friends and reflect on how fragile life can be.
January 14, 2022 7:00 AM EST