These Luke Skywalker quotes are derived from several of the Star Wars films.
Luke Skywalker, the fictional character and protagonist of the original film trilogy of the Star Wars franchise, was created by George Lucas.
Actor Mark Hamill portrayed Luke, who first appeared in Star Wars, retroactively titled Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope (1977). He then returned in The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Return of the Jedi (1983).
Luke was originally a farmer on Tatooine living with his aunt and uncle. He becomes an integral figure in the Rebel Alliance, which battles against the Galactic Empire.
Hamill reprised the role three decades later when he returned as Luke in the Star Wars sequel trilogy: The Force Awakens (2015), The Last Jedi (2017), and The Rise of Skywalker (2019).
Thanks to digital de-aging he was able to also voice Luke Skywalker in The Mandalorian episode “Chapter 16: The Rescue” (2020). It is revealed that Luke is the son of Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker (turned Sith Lord Darth Vader) and Padmé Amidala.
Even if you are not a Star Wars fan, chances are you have heard someone say, in their best Darth Vader voice, “Luke, I am your father.”
Keep reading these Luke Skywalker quotes to learn more about the iconic character and his relationship with other Star Wars staples.
Don’t forget to also check out these Darth Vader quotes from the Star Wars villain.
Luke Skywalker quotes from A New Hope
1. “Alderaan? I’m not going to Alderaan, I’ve gotta get *home*, it’s late, I’m in for it as it is!” — Luke Skywalker
2. “Look, I can’t get involved. I’ve got work to do. It’s not that I like the Empire; I hate it, but there’s nothing I can do about it right now… It’s all such a long way from here.” — Luke Skywalker
3. “Rich, powerful. Listen, if you were to rescue her, the reward would be… Well, more wealth than you can imagine!” — Luke Skywalker
4. “I have a very bad feeling about this.” — Luke Skywalker
5. “If there’s a bright center to the universe, you’re on the planet that it’s farthest from.” — Luke Skywalker
6. “No, my father didn’t fight in the Clone Wars. He was a navigator on a spice freighter.” — Luke Skywalker
7. “They’re gonna execute her! Look, a few minutes ago you said you didn’t want to just wait here to be captured. Now all you want to do is stay?” — Luke Skywalker
8. “Not unless you can alter time, speed up the harvest or teleport me off this rock.” — Luke Skywalker
9. “ I want to come with you to Alderaan. There’s nothing for me here now. I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi like my father.” — Luke Skywalker
10. “I’m Luke Skywalker. I’m here to rescue you.” — Luke Skywalker
Luke Skywalker quotes from Return of the Jedi
11. “ I’ll not leave you here. I’ve got to save you.” — Luke Skywalker
12. “Your thoughts betray you, Father. I feel the good in you, the conflict.” — Luke Skywalker
13. “You couldn’t bring yourself to kill me before and I don’t believe you’ll destroy me now.” — Luke Skywalker
14. “I’ll never turn to the Dark Side. You’ve failed, your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me.” — Luke Skywalker
15. “Master Yoda, you can’t die.” — Luke Skywalker
16. “Soon I’ll be dead, and you with me.” — Luke Skywalker
17. “Your overconfidence is your weakness.” — Luke Skywalker
18. “Search your feelings, Father, you can’t do this. I feel the conflict within you. Let go of your hate.” — Luke Skywalker
19. “ You’re wrong, Leia. You have that power too. In time you’ll learn to use it as I have. The Force runs strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. And… my sister has it. Yes. It’s you, Leia.” — Luke Skywalker
20. “You can either profit by this or be destroyed. It’s your choice, but I warn you not to underestimate my powers.” — Luke Skywalker
Luke Skywalker quotes from The Empire Strikes Back
21. “I’m looking for a great warrior.” — Luke Skywalker
22. “Vader… Is the dark side stronger?” — Luke Skywalker
23. “But how am I to know the good side from the bad?” — Luke Skywalker
24. “Oh, come on! How can you know my father? You don’t even know who I am. Oh, I don’t even know what I’m doing here! We’re wasting our time!” — Luke Skywalker
25. “ There’s something not right here… I feel cold. Death.” — Luke Skywalker
26. “ I want my lamp back. I’m gonna need it to get out of this slimy mudhole.” — Luke Skywalker
27. “Chewie, I’ll be waiting for your signal. Take care, you two. May the force be with you.” — Luke Skywalker
28. “You’ll find I’m full of surprises.” — Luke Skywalker
29. “Now all I got to is find this Yoda. If he even exists. It’s a really strange place to find a Jedi Master. This place gives me the creeps.” — Luke Skywalker
30. “But I’ve learned so much since then. Master Yoda, I promise to return and finish what I’ve begun. You have my word.” — Luke Skywalker
Luke Skywalker quotes from The Last Jedi
31. “I’m ending all of this. The tree, the texts, the Jedi. I’m going to burn it all down.” — Luke Skywalker
32. “Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.” — Luke Skywalker
33. “No one’s from nowhere.” — Luke Skywalker
34. “I’ve seen this raw strength only once before in Ben Solo. It didn’t scare me enough then. It does now.” — Luke Skywalker
35. “It offered something you needed. And you didn’t even try to stop yourself.” — Luke Skywalker
36. “I only know one truth: It’s time for the Jedi to end.” — Luke Skywalker
37. “This is not going to go the way you think.” — Luke Skywalker
38. “The original Jedi texts. Just like me, they’re the last of the Jedi religion.” — Luke Skywalker
39. “And I became a legend. For many years, there was balance and then I saw… Ben. My nephew with that mighty Skywalker blood. And in my hubris, I thought I could train him, I could pass on my strengths.” — Luke Skywalker
40. “No one’s ever really gone.” — Luke Skywalker
Which of these Luke Skywalker quotes is your favorite?
Luke trains to be a Jedi under Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda and helps to restore the Jedi Order. For most of the film, Luke and Princess Leia maintain a flirty relationship while they act as allies in the fight.
The pair even share a kiss in The Empire Strikes Back. However, it is later revealed that Luke is her twin brother. This makes him Han Solo’s brother-in-law.
He also helps train his nephew, Ben Solo and mentors Rey, the human Jedi Master. Despite fan theories that somehow Rey was related to Luke, the series explains that her father was a genetic clone of The Emporer.
Luke dies at the end of The Last Jedi, but returns as a Force spirit in The Rise of Skywalker, where he encourages Rey to face her grandfather (the resurrected Emperor Palpatine).
The spirits of both Luke and Leia give Rey their blessing to adopt the Skywalker surname at the end of the film.
Which of these Luke Skywalker quotes and sayings is your favorite? You can let us know using the comment section below!
December 15, 2021 7:00 AM EST