These Dr. Sebi quotes share his wise words about health and food.
Alfredo Darrington Bowman, or more commonly known as Dr. Sebi, was a Honduran herbalist and holistic practitioner.
Dr. Sebi believed that a vegan diet, comprising certain herbs, would cure everything that ails you. He held some beliefs that were not quite supported by science, but he wasn’t wrong that the food you eat affects your health.
Most of what Dr. Sebi learned about the healing power of herbs came from his grandmother, Mama Hey. He suffered from many ailments, including diabetes and impotence, which he believed were cured by a Mexican herbalist.
Don’t forget to also check out these healthy eating quotes celebrating better food choices.
Dr. Sebi quotes about food
1. “It is the food that you eat that would reconnect you with the energies of life, and then the words are unnecessary because you could see. You’re connected.” – Dr. Sebi
2. “The zookeeper doesn’t feed the gorilla the food of the polar bear, am I right? So how come we eat the food of everybody?” – Dr. Sebi
3. “Food that we eat is the very substance that causes the whole hormonal structure of the body to go haywire because it’s on acid-base. So you’re going to get acid thoughts.” – Dr. Sebi
4. “You don’t have to eat less. You just have to eat right.” – Dr. Sebi
5. “Do you and I know what our mother ate in Africa?” – Dr. Sebi
6. “You’re made of elements. Take the time to learn the foods with high element properties in order to save your health and your body.” – Dr. Sebi
7. “Changes cannot be accomplished and will not be forthcoming if the diet has not changed.” – Dr. Sebi
8. “Glucose is the underlying enemy. Whenever you indulge in glucose, it will be difficult to lose fat.” – Dr. Sebi
9. “Sugar is not for us. Sugar is very bad.” – Dr. Sebi
10. “Real soul food is food that enhances the soul, our central sun, our melanin, our carbon. Fruits, vegetables, grains, this is the real soul food.” – Dr. Sebi
11. “Hippocrates said that your medicine should be your food, and your food should be your medicine.” – Dr. Sebi
Dr. Sebi quotes about love and other people
12. “Because the one thing you want to do is to LOVE, and that love should begin with you. Once you love you, you love the whole world. It’s delicious to love everybody, and everything.” – Dr. Sebi
13. “I love you now; I loved you then, and I will love you forever!” – Dr. Sebi
14. “I say to brothers and sisters. If nothing else we do, let us be tolerant of each other – and share LOVE.” – Dr. Sebi
15. “Everybody resonates differently. And everybody comes with a good message afforded in a different way.” – Dr. Sebi
16. “It is my duty to visit those who are doing things on a higher level than I to learn how to help in complementing people in need.” – Dr. Sebi
17. “A flower can’t grow without sunshine, and man can’t live without love.” – Dr. Sebi
18. “I hope that I continue to be the servant to you that I always wanted to be, that I always pride myself on being.” – Dr. Sebi
Wise Dr. Sebi quotes
19. “You could have all the money in the world and if you do not have peace, then acquiring money is of no avail. But if there is peace, man, money could come later.” – Dr. Sebi
20. “The minute that you dislike a foreigner, you are saying a lot about yourself.” – Dr. Sebi
21. “If we were meant to be opened up, we would have zips.” – Dr. Sebi
22. “If you can’t do it for life, it’s not a lifestyle.” – Dr. Sebi
23. “I don’t follow leaders. The only leader I follow is my mind.” – Dr. Sebi
24. “This is what we have failed to see. We always measure things with up and down and good and bad and in between. No, things are different.” – Dr. Sebi
25. “A society that keeps cures a secret so they can continue to sell medication for huge profits is not a real society but a huge mental asylum.” – Dr. Sebi
26. “Keep going every day. Remember that progress is progress, no matter how small.” – Dr. Sebi
Dr. Sebi quotes about how to live life
27. “I want to live truth, even if it kills me.” – Dr. Sebi
28. “It is oxygen that heals, nothing else but oxygen.” – Dr. Sebi
29. “If nature didn’t make it, do not take it!” – Dr. Sebi
30. “I hope that I continue to be the servant to you that I always wanted to be, that I always pride myself on being.” – Dr. Sebi
31. “Mucus is the cause of every disease. Eliminate the mucus and you eliminate the disease.” – Dr. Sebi
32. “I met many people, and I learned the value of interacting with different ethnics groups and nationalities.” – Dr. Sebi
33. “Make one healthy choice every day.” – Dr. Sebi
34. “I cannot use the yardstick of another because I am unique like everyone else is unique.” – Dr. Sebi
35. “Healing has to be consistent with life itself. If it isn’t, then it’s not healing. The components have to be from life.” – Dr. Sebi
36. “Your speed doesn’t matter, forward is forward.” – Dr. Sebi
37. “I am removing plaque from the system; I am removing inflammation. That is the basis of all disease.” – Dr. Sebi
Dr. Sebi quotes about Mama Hey
38. “Mama Hay gave her grandson certain ethical and moral standards because she knew that one day I would have to face the world.” – Dr. Sebi
39. “Mama Hay, in reality, is the pillar of my foundation. She is the very pillar in which all of the things I have done lays.” – Dr. Sebi
40. “What I see now avails me the privilege to look at things from outside the box, I was never in the box because I had the freedom to think as I wish for myself. That’s the one thing Mama Hay afforded me.” – Dr. Sebi
What did you learn from these Dr. Sebi quotes?
Dr. Sebi had quite the following and famous clients, like Michael Jackson. Unfortunately, he focused solely on the debunked alkaline diet theory. He also had several rich clients such as John Travolta and Lisa Lopez, who paid him a great deal of money for his advice.
Sadly, he was arrested for money laundering and contracted pneumonia while in jail. He would die from complications before his trial. There are those who believed he was silenced because his teachings are not in line with medical practices.
There is a lot to be said about our diet, and certain diets can help with inflammation and disease. That said, western medicine also has its uses and shouldn’t be ignored.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Dr. Sebi quotes and sayings? Do you have any other insightful quotes to add? Share your thoughts below!
December 2, 2020 7:00 AM EST