Even though it’s over a century old, this book holds great wisdom as you’ll see in these As a Man Thinketh quotes.
The book As a Man Thinketh was written by James Allen back in 1903.
And even though his book on the power of our thoughts is over a century old, many people continue to struggle with the very issues that he addressed so long ago.
James Allen wrote his book to share with people the difference that they could make in their life simply by learning to control their thoughts and the way they process the situations happening around them.
He tried to make his book easy for others to access and understand and yet it’s still a message that many struggle with.
Allow the wisdom in these words to transform your life.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Explore our complete collection of motivational quotes here.
As a Man Thinketh Quotes about the power of thoughts
1. “Self-control is strength. Right thought is mastery. Calmness is power.” – As a Man Thinketh
2. “A man’s mind may be likened to a garden, which may be intelligently cultivated or allowed to run wild; but whether cultivated or neglected, it must, and will, bring forth. If no useful seeds are put into it, then an abundance of useless weed seeds will fall therein and will continue to produce their kind.” – As a Man Thinketh
3. “Only the wise man, only he whose thoughts are controlled and purified, makes the winds and the storms of the soul obey him.” – As a Man Thinketh
4. “A man can only rise, conquer, and achieve by lifting up his thoughts. He can only remain weak, and abject, and miserable by refusing to lift up his thoughts.” – As a Man Thinketh
5. “When a man makes his thoughts pure, he no longer desires impure food.” – As a Man Thinketh
6. “Strong, pure, and happy thoughts build up the body in vigor and grace. The body is a delicate and plastic instrument, which responds readily to the thoughts by which it is impressed, and habits of thought will produce their own effects, good or bad, upon it.” – As a Man Thinketh
7. “The outer conditions of a person’s life will always be found to be harmoniously related to his inner state…Men do not attract that which they want, but that which they are.” – As a Man Thinketh
As a Man Thinketh quotes about others
8. “A strong man cannot help a weaker unless the weaker is willing to be helped, and even then the weak man must become strong of himself; he must, by his own efforts, develop the strength which he admires in another. None but himself can alter his condition.” – As a Man Thinketh
9. “They themselves are makers of themselves.” – As a Man Thinketh
10. “As the reaper of his own harvest, man learns both by suffering and bliss.” – As a Man Thinketh
11. “By pursuing this process, a man sooner or later discovers that he is the master gardener of his soul, the director of his life.” – As a Man Thinketh
12. “During the process of putting himself right, he will find that as he alters his thoughts towards things, and other people, things and other people will alter towards him.” – As a Man Thinketh
13. “Men are anxious to improve their circumstances, but are unwilling to improve themselves.” – As a Man Thinketh
14. “Every man is where he is by the law of his being.” – As a Man Thinketh
As a Man Thinketh quotes about becoming what you think
15. “All that a man achieves and all that he fails to achieve is the direct result of his own thoughts.” – As a Man Thinketh
16. “Act is the blossom of thought.” – As a Man Thinketh
17. “As a man thinketh in his heart so is he.” – As a Man Thinketh
18. “Man is made or unmade by himself; in the armoury of thought he forges the weapons by which he destroys himself; he also fashions the tools with which he builds for himself heavenly mansions of joy and strength and peace.” – As a Man Thinketh
19. “Good thoughts and actions can never produce bad results; bad thoughts and actions can never produce good results. This is but saying that nothing can come from corn but corn, nothing from nettles but nettles. Men understand this law in the natural world, and work with it; but few understand it in the mental and moral world (though its operation there is just as simple and undeviating), and they, therefore, do not cooperate with it.” – As a Man Thinketh
20. “A man is literally what he thinks, his character being the complete sum of all his thoughts.” – As a Man Thinketh
21. “The strength of character gained will be the measure of his true success, and this will form a new starting-point for future power and triumph.” – As a Man Thinketh
22. “A particular train of thought persisted in, be it good or bad, cannot fail to produce its results on the character and circumstances.” – As a Man Thinketh
23. “He who has conquered weakness, and has put away all selfish thoughts, belongs neither to oppressor nor oppressed. He is free.” – As a Man Thinketh
24. “As the physically weak man can make himself strong by careful and patient training, so the man of weak thoughts can make them strong by exercising himself in right thinking.” – As a Man Thinketh
25. “The oak sleeps in the acorn; the bird waits in the egg; and in the highest vision of the soul a waking angel stirs. Dreams are the seedlings of realities.” – As a Man Thinketh
26. “Dream lofty dreams, and as you dream, so shall you become.” – As a Man Thinketh
27. “The body is the servant of the mind. It obeys the operations of the mind, whether they be deliberately chosen or automatically expressed. At the bidding of unlawful thoughts the body sinks rapidly into disease and decay; at the command of glad and beautiful thoughts it becomes clothed with youthfulness and beauty.” – As a Man Thinketh
28. “As the plant springs from, and could not be without the seed, so every act of a man springs from the hidden seeds of thought.” – As a Man Thinketh
More As a Man Thinketh quotes
29. “As he thinks, so he is; as he continues to think, so he remains.” – As a Man Thinketh
30. “The soul attracts that which it secretly harbours; that which it loves, and also that which it fears.” – As a Man Thinketh
31. “Suffering ceases for him who is pure. A perfectly pure and enlightened being could not suffer.” – As a Man Thinketh
32. “A man does not come to the almshouse or the jail by the tyranny of fate or circumstance, but by the pathway of groveling thoughts and base desires.” – As a Man Thinketh
33. “Let a man radically alter his thoughts, and he will be astonished at the rapid transformation it will effect in the material conditions of his life.” – As a Man Thinketh
34. “Mind is the master weaver.” – As a Man Thinketh
35. “Circumstance does not make the man; it reveals him to himself.” – As a Man Thinketh
36. “Even the man whole sole object is to acquire wealth must be prepared to make great personal sacrifices before he can accomplish his object.” – As a Man Thinketh
37. “The people who live in fear of disease are the people who get it. Anxiety quickly demoralizes the whole body, and lays it open to the entrance of disease.” – As a Man Thinketh
38. “As you cannot have a sweet and wholesome abode unless you admit the air and sunshine freely into your rooms, so a strong body and a bright, happy, or serene countenance can only result from the free admittance into the mind of thoughts of joy and goodwill and serenity.” – As a Man Thinketh
39. “He is the maker of his character, the molder of his life, and the builder of his destiny.” – As a Man Thinketh
40. “The dreamers are the saviours of the world.” – As a Man Thinketh
What did you learn from these As a Man Thinketh quotes?
Our thoughts are powerful and play a big role in what happens in our lives every day.
We process the good and the bad around us through the way that we think about them.
If we choose to think negative thoughts, we will see things in a negative light.
If we choose to think in a positive way, we will see things with a positive spin.
Your thoughts are something that only you have control over.
Learning the power that you hold in the way that you think is something that can transform the way that you live.
Use the James Allen quotes above from As a Man Thinketh to inspire change in your own life.
Or hunt down the book and soak in the wisdom from over a hundred years ago.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these As a Man Thinketh quotes and lines?
Which other books should we feature on Everyday Power?
Let us know in the comment section below.