Bo Schembechler Quotes From the College Hall of Fame Football Coach
May 15, 2023 4:07 AM EST
College Football Fans will love these Bo Schembechler quotes from the legendary coach!
Bo Schembechler’s full name is Gleen Edward “Bo” Schembechler Jr.
He was born in Barberton, Ohio, in 1929 and died in Southfield, Michigan, in 2006.
Bo lived a full life and was a well-known and successful football coach and molder of young men.
Bo was a good athlete when he was growing up and went on to play college football for the University of Miami of Ohio, where he would later coach.
What Bo is best known for, however, is his tenure as coach and later Athletic Director at the University of Michigan.
Bo took over as the Coach of Michigan in 1969 when Michigan was stuck in mediocrity.
Bo quickly turned UofM football around by beating Michigan’s bitter rival and defending National Champion Ohio State in his first game coaching against them.
Bo and the legendary Woody Hayes, who coached Ohio State, then led their teams against each other for the duration of what became known as “The Ten-Year War,” where the two teams dominated the Big Ten.
Take a look at these Bo Schembechler quotes to learn more about the legendary coach!
Best Bo Schembechler Quotes
Here are some of the best Bo Schembechler quotes!
1. “Early is on time, and on time is late.” — Bo Schembechler
2. “Nothing good ever happens after midnight.” — Bo Schembechler
3. “Not making a decision is the worst thing you can do.” — Bo Schembechler
4. “Every day, you either get better, or you get worse. You never stay the same.” — Bo Schembechler
5. “If you think my career has been a failure because I have never won a national title, you have another thing coming.” — Bo Schembechler
6. “Just do the best you can at the job you have now, and the offers will come.” — Bo Schembechler
7. “In times of difficulty, those brave enough to stay the course will be victors in the end.” — Bo Schembechler
8. “Wait for the right opportunity, and turn down all the rest. It will make all the difference.” — Bo Schembechler
9. “I do not believe in sitting on a problem. Because the longer you sit on that thing, the longer it’ll irritate you.” — Bo Schembechler
10. “I figured this was the easy stuff, and if we couldn’t show up on time, looking right and acting right, we weren’t going to be able to do anything else.” — Bo Schembechler
You will also enjoy our article on Tom Landry quotes.
Bo Schembechler Quotes About Coaching
Enjoy these Bo Schembechler about his philosophy as a coach.
11. “The team, the team, the team.” — Bo Schembechler
12. “A Michigan man is going to coach Michigan.”— Bo Schembechler
13. “Every coach, every executive, every leader: They all know right from wrong.” — Bo Schembechler
14. “No man is more important than The Team. No coach is more important than The Team” — Bo Schembechler
15. “Deep down, your players must know you care about them. This is the most important thing.” — Bo Schembechler
16. “When your team is winning, be ready to be tough, because winning can make you soft.” — Bo Schembechler
17. “I never brought it up when I coached, but I have close ties at Ohio State. Unfortunately, I even have a graduate degree from there.” — Bo Schembechler
Inspirational Bo Schembechler Quotes
After reading these Bo Schembechler quotes, you will be ready to lace up your cleats and take to the field!
18. “Those who stay will be champions.” — Bo Schembechler
19. “If some men hate you, have no care.” — Bo Schembechler
20. “Sing your song, dream your dreams, hope your hopes, and pray your prayers.” — Bo Schembechler
21. “If you want to be a truly great leader, you’ll develop other great leaders below you.” — Bo Schembechler
22. “Our goals always have been to win the Big Ten title and the Rose Bowl. If we do that, then we consider it a successful season.” — Bo Schembechler
23. “We’re gonna believe in each other, we’re not gonna criticize each other, we’re not gonna talk about each other, we’re gonna encourage each other.” — Bo Schembechler
24. “If you do not like people, you will not take the time to get to know them, and if you don’t get to know them, you will have no idea what scares them, what inspires them, what motivates them.” — Bo Schembechler
25. “You don’t treat the so-called little people poorly because we don’t have any little people here! The trainers, the managers, the secretaries, the people who work in the dorms and cafeterias and classroom buildings are all professionals, and they’re all important, or they wouldn’t be working for Michigan football.” — Bo Schembechler
What Made Bo a Legend?
Bo brought with him a toughness not seen at Michigan in quite some time, and his Michigan teams never experienced a losing season.
Bo is famous for the phrase, “Those Who Stay Will Be Champions,” which he told to his players.
Bo kept his word as every player that played for Bo for the full four seasons of eligibility won at least one Big Ten Championship!
Please share these Bo Schembechler quotes with your friends and family and post any comments about the hall-of-fame coach in the comment section below.