These Bobby Bowden quotes will motivate you to work towards your dreams.
Bobby Bowden was an American football coach who lived from 1929 to 2021.
He worked as the head coach of the Florida State Seminoles Football team from 1976 to 2009.
Throughout his career, he coached 377 wins and took his team to the National Championship twice, in 1993 and 1999.
Bowden is widely considered one of the best college football coaches of all time.
In addition to coaching football, Bowden also authored a few books throughout his life, including Called to Coach: Reflections on Life, Faith, and Football, Bobby Bowden’s Tales from Florida State, The Wisdom of Faith, and The Bowden Dynasty.
Below is our collection of inspirational Bobby Bowden quotes. Enjoy!
Don’t forget to read these John Madden quotes from the American football coach.
Bobby Bowden quotes to motivate you
1. “I was always going to church with my mom, dad, and sister. I was literally raised under the godly influence both at home and church. There was no alcohol and no smoking at our house. That was the way a Bowden was supposed to live. My dad always to me to represent the Bowden name in a respectful manner.” – Bobby Bowden
2. “When I go after something, I go after it hard. It has always been that way. I don’t know, it’s in my blood.” – Bobby Bowden
3. Courage is doing something you need to do that might get you hurt.” – Bobby Bowden
4. “Don’t go to the grave with life unused.” – Bobby Bowden
5. “Something has to happen that you can’t coach.” – Bobby Bowden
6. “Somehow, I went from being too young to being too old. Somewhere in there, I must have been just right.” – Bobby Bowden
7. “Son, you’ve got a good engine, but your hands aren’t on the steering wheel.” – Bobby Bowden
8. “Discipline to me is sacrifice; it’s willingness to give up something you want to do, so you can better yourself.” – Bobby Bowden
9. “The greatest mistake is to continue to practice a mistake.” – Bobby Bowden
10. “Integrity makes my job easier. It’s deception and dishonesty that requires so much diligent effort.” – Bobby Bowden
You might also like these Dabo Swinney quotes by the American football coach.
Bobby Bowden quotes to inspire and teach
11. “He died right after he retired, and seeing that made me feel more conscious of a man needing a motive to live. If I ever got out of coaching, I would have to get a job somewhere, or I’m afraid I’d wilt on the vine, too.” – Bobby Bowden
12. “I’ve never felt like you could develop character without adversity.” – Bobby Bowden
13. “I’ve always said it takes more courage to stand back there and throw a ball knowing you’re fixing to get drilled than anything I can think of in football.” – Bobby Bowden
14. “I learned a long time ago that you don’t have to go around using bad language and trying to hurt people to show how macho you are.” – Bobby Bowden
15. “A lot of coaches put so much into coaching football games that they have nothing left.” – Bobby Bowden
16. “I suppose I’m like most coaches now, standing on the sideline hoping somebody asks them a question.” – Bobby Bowden
17. “He who gets the best players usually wins.” – Bobby Bowden
18. “People that are brilliant and successful, we think they’ve just always been that way. Most of them have had some tough adversity in their life.” – Bobby Bowden
19. “Get mentally tough or get out of coaching.” – Bobby Bowden
20. “No one becomes wise by accident.” – Bobby Bowden
You will also enjoy our article on Bill Belichick quotes.
What did you learn from these Bobby Bowden quotes?
In 2006, Bowden was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.
He also won a few awards throughout his career, including the Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year award in 1980, the Amos Alonzo Stagg Award in 2011, and the Walter Camp Coach of the Year Award in 1991.
Bowden coached college football for 44 seasons as a head coach, 40 of which were winning seasons.
He led the Florida State team to 14 seasons in a row with ten or more victories from 1987 to 2000.
Bowden passed away from pancreatic cancer in August 2021.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Bobby Bowden quotes and sayings? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.