Check out these Edward Bernays quotes from one of the pioneers in propaganda and public relations.
Edward Louis Bernays was born in Vienna, Austria-Hungary, in 1891 and died in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1995 at age 103.
He is best known for being a publicist that was one of the pioneers in propaganda and public relations and how to sway people’s opinions.
You might also enjoy these related articles:
Bernays wrote many books during his lifetime, and one of his main theories was that the masses are irrational and would react to the “herd instinct.”
His knowledge of how and when to control the masses led him to work for politicians, nonprofits, governments, and large corporations such as Procter and Gamble and General Electric.
Read these Edward Bernays quotes for a few minutes to learn more about this influential man.
Wise Edward Bernays Quotes
Take a look at these Edward Berynays quotes showcasing his wisdom.
1. “People want to go where they wanted to be led.” — Edward Bernays
2. “The great enemy of any attempt to change men’s habits is inertia.” — Edward Bernays
3. “Modern business must have its finger continuously on the public pulse.” — Edward Bernays
4. “It is sometimes possible to change the attitudes of millions but impossible to change the attitude of one man.” — Edward Bernays
5. “The engineering of consent is the very essence of the democratic process, the freedom to persuade and suggest.” — Edward Bernays
6. “We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of.” — Edward Bernays
7. “When I came back to the United States, I decided that if you could use propaganda for war, you could certainly use it for peace.” — Edward Bernays
8. “We are dominated by the relatively small number of persons who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses.” — Edward Bernays
9. “If you can influence the leaders, either with or without their conscious cooperation, you automatically influence the group which they sway.” — Edward Bernays
10. “Any person or organization depends ultimately on public approval, and is therefore faced with the problem of engineering the public’s consent to a program or goal.” — Edward Bernays
Edward Bernays Quotes About Propaganda
Here are some Edward Bernays quotes all about propaganda.
11. “The best defense against propaganda: more propaganda.” — Edward Bernays
12. “Propaganda is the executive arm of the invisible government.” — Edward Bernays
13. “The only difference between ‘propaganda’ and ‘education,’ really, is in the point of view.” — Edward Bernays
14. “The advocacy of what we believe in is education. The advocacy of what we don’t believe in is propaganda.” — Edward Bernays
15. “We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of.” — Edward Bernays
16. “Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country.” — Edward Bernays
17. “If we understand the mechanism and motives of the group mind, it is now possible to control and regiment the masses according to our will without them knowing it.” — Edward Bernays
More Edward Bernays Quotes
Enjoy some more of Edward Bernays best quotes.
18. “Civilization is limited by inertia.” — Edward Bernays
19. “The best place to find things: the public library.” — Edward Bernays
20. “It is they who pull the wires which control the public mind.” — Edward Bernays
21. “Men are rarely aware of the real reasons which motivate their actions.” — Edward Bernays
22. “This is an age of mass production. In the mass production of materials, a broad technique has been developed and applied to their distribution.” — Edward Bernays
23. “The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in a democratic society.” — Edward Bernays
24. “The three main elements of public relations are practically as old as society: informing people, persuading people, or integrating people with people.” — Edward Bernays
25. “Universal literacy was supposed to educate the common man to control his environment. Once he could read and write, he would have a mind fit to rule.” — Edward Bernays
Edward Bernays Personal Life
They moved from Vienna to the United States in the 1890s, and Edward later got a degree from Cornell University.
He married Doris E. Fleischman in 1922, and they had two children together before she died in 1980.
Please share these Edward Bernays quotes with your family and friends and post any comments about Bernays in the comment section below.