She was all about love, healing, and helping as you’ll see in these Elisabeth Kubler-Ross quotes.
Death is a topic that many of us want to forget about or ignore until life forces us to confront it. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross took a different approach. She had a few personal experiences with watching peaceful passings during her childhood and then work to help communities rebuild after World War II.
While in a concentration camp, she met a young survivor who shared her story of focusing on peace and forgiveness instead of hatred and bitterness. This is a message that Elisabeth carried forward.
She became a psychiatrist and created what is now famously titled “Five Stages of Grief”. Her work in helping dying patients and loved ones was transformational for people and will continue to be.
Don’t forget to also check out these grief quotes celebrating the life of someone who passed away.
Elisabeth Kubler-Ross Quotes about Knowledge and Wisdom
1. “The opinion which other people have of you is their problem, not yours.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
2. “It is very important that you only do what you love to do. you may be poor, you may go hungry, you may lose your car, you may have to move into a shabby place to live, but you will totally live.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
3. “There is within each one of us a potential for goodness beyond our imagining; for giving which seeks no reward; for listening without judgment; for loving unconditionally.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
4. “Mankind’s greatest gift, also its greatest curse, is that we have free choice. We can make our choices built from love or from fear.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
5. “Today, in our “shut up, get over it, and move on” mentality, our society misses so much, it’s no wonder we are a generation that longs to tell our stories.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
6. “The more you learn, the harder the lessons get.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
7. “When someone is telling you their story over and over, they are trying to figure something out.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
8. “Your sorrow is the inevitable result of circumstances beyond your control.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
9. “We need time to move through the pain of loss. We need to step into it, really to get to know it, in order to learn.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
10. “We often tend to ignore how much of a child is still in all of us.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
11. “Education makes you humble, it doesn’t make you proud.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Elisabeth Kubler-Ross Quotes about Love and Peace
12. “The ultimate lesson all of us have to learn is unconditional love, which includes not only others but ourselves as well.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
13. “There is no need to go to India or anywhere else to find peace. You will find that deep place of silence right in your room, your garden, or even your bathtub.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
14. “If we could raise one generation with unconditional love, there would be no Hitlers. We need to teach the next generation of children from Day One that they are responsible for their lives.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
15. “Forgive yourself.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
16. “You are worthy and lovable, just as you are, on your own.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
17. “But intellect does not inform matters of the heart. Regrets.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
18. “Forgive them if you need to.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
19. “So many ways, loss shows us what is precious, while love teaches us who.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
20. “Learning lessons is a little like reaching maturity. You’re not suddenly more happy, wealthy, or powerful, but you understand the world around you better, and you’re at peace with yourself.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
21. “Love is really the only thing we can possess, keep with us, and take with us.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Beautiful Elisabeth Kubler-Ross Quotes about Hope and Faith
22. “There are no mistakes, no coincidences. All events are blessings given to us to learn from.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
23. “Learn to get in touch with the silence within yourself.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
24. “Live, so you do not have to look back and say: ’God, how I have wasted my life.’” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
25. “The wholeness we seek lives here, with and within us, now, in reality.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
26. “We will never like this reality or make it okay, but eventually we accept it.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
27. “We do things hopefully because they add life to our living.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
28. “A ship exists on the ocean, even if it sails out beyond the limits of our sight. The people in the ship have not vanished; they are simply moving to another shore.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
29. “Religious patients seemed to differ little from those without a religion.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
30. “Learning life’s lessons is not about making your life perfect, but about seeing life as it was meant to be.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
31. “We search for meaning, love, and power. We try to understand fear, loss, and time. We seek to discover who we are and how we can become truly happy.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Elisabeth Kubler-Ross Quotes about Beauty and Honesty
32. “Should you shield the canyons from the windstorms you would never see the true beauty of their carvings.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
33. “I believe that we are solely responsible for our choices, and we have to accept the consequences of every deed, word, and thought throughout our lifetime.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
34. “The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
35. “People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
36. “We think sometimes we’re only drawn to the good, but we’re actually drawn to the authentic. We like people who are real more than those who hide their true selves under layers of artificial niceties.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
37. “The truth does not need to be defended.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
38. “If people would get in touch with their spirits, they would be able to heal, emotionally and physically.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Elisabeth Kubler-Ross Quotes about Life and Death
39. “For those who seek to understand it, death is a highly creative force. The highest spiritual values of life can originate from the thought and study of death.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
40. “I’ve told my children that when I die, to release balloons in the sky to celebrate that I graduated. For me, death is a graduation.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
41. “The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not ‘get over’ the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will heal and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same nor would you want to.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
42. “It’s only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth — and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up — that we will begin to live each day to the fullest as if it was the only one we had.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
43. “When I die I’m going to dance first in all the galaxies…I’m gonna play and dance and sing.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
44. “Everything in this life has a purpose, there are no mistakes, no coincidences.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
45. “My patients taught me not how to die, but how to live.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
46. “Watching a peaceful death of a human being reminds us of a falling star; one of a million lights in a vast sky that flares up for a brief moment only to disappear into the endless night forever.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
47. “Is war perhaps nothing else but a need to face death, to conquer and master it, to come out of it alive — a peculiar form of denial of our mortality?” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
48. “You have entered an abnormal, lonely, and unwelcome new world where you are nothing but an island of sadness.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
49. “The truth is that life is risky and dangerous.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
50. “The only incontrovertible fact of my work is the importance of life.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
What did you learn from these Elisabeth Kubler-Ross quotes?
Elisabeth Kubler-Ross spent her life dedicated to making a positive difference in the world for people. In 2007, she was inducted into the National Woman’s Hall of Fame.
She received many honorary degrees throughout her life and estimates that she taught well over 100,000 students through the courses she taught on death and dying.
She’s even credited with starting the first prison hospice in the world and her foundation website shares that she was, “trying to seat an AIDS hospice for abandoned babies” when she retired.
There are some people who spend their life in a way that makes a big and lasting impact on others, Elisabeth Kubler-Ross was definitely one of those people.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Elisabeth Kubler-Ross quotes and sayings? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
May 4, 2021 7:00 AM EST