These emoji quotes about everyone’s favorite text and social media post additions will have you laughing out loud!
Most of us add fun little emojis to our posts and texts, whether it is to express happiness, sadness, or some other emotion.
If you are wondering why they are called emojis, you have come to the right place.
At first, I thought it was an acronym for something, but it is not.
It is actually a blend of two Japanese words.
The Japanese word ‘e’ means picture, and the Japanese word ‘moji’ means character.
They aren’t new either.
In fact, emojis were first used in cell phone communication in Japan back in 1999! There are many more now.
Interestingly, the Oxford English Dictionary chose an emoji—the one crying tears of joy—as the word of the year in 2015.
Keep reading through the end of these emoji quotes to find out the difference between an emoticon and an emoji!
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Check out more inspirational quotes on our motivational quotes category page.
Funny emoji quotes
1. “Hi, Gina Linetti, the human form of the 100 emoji.” — Gina Linetti
2. “Emojis are good to express our emotions in a sticker form.” — John McWhorter
3. “I’m a notorious late-night texter. I seem to use a lot of lip, heart, and tongue emoji.” — Sam Heughan
4. “After our date on Monday, I put the heart-eyes emoji next to his name in my contact.” — Angie Thomas
5. “Sending someone all of the possible birthday party emoji is extra festive: great!” — Gretchen McCulloch
6. “My emoji vocabulary is pretty limited to, like, the smiling poop and the rainbow and a unicorn or something.” — Bob Morley
7. “I am emoji-heavy as hell. I would use the same emoji 140 times just to communicate how excited I am.” — Frankie Grande
8. “I text nonstop, and I love emoji. I’m also on the phone quite a bit for work – probably more than 10 calls per day.” — Evan Spiegel
9. “No sooner my kids leave their friends than they start texting them. And it’s all in code in a language I totally don’t understand.” — Bill Engvall
10. “My favorite emoji is definitely the sad face, like the ‘See, I’m sorry’ sad face, which I use all the time… Or the monkey face, where he’s covering his eyes.” — Jade Thirlwall
Emoji quotes about communication
11. “Emojis are an awesome way to text someone in a fun way.” — Unknown
12. “She’s the only person I know who speaks in emojis.” — Micheal Benzehabe
13. “Emojis are the rise of casual language and it is a celebration of non-textual conversation at its best.” — Unknown
14. “It was brutal to read. After two years the relationship was ended with a “:/,” not even a fully fleshed-out emoji.” — Aziz Ansari
15. “People are hard-pressed for time but they do need to communicate. Emojis are here to help and make it smooth.” — John McWhorter
16. “There is this distance between all of us because we’re speaking to each other through cameras and monitors and icons and Emojis.” — Rami Malek
17. “If you text ‘I love you’ to a person and the person writes back an emoji — no matter what that emoji is, they don’t love you back.” — Chelsea Peretti
18. “Every text message is complete with an emoji in it. Every chat is complete with an emoji in it. They have become an integral part of our lives.” — Unknown
19. “Life has become a lot easier with the coming of emoji. An entire sentence is easily replaced with just an emoji and yet leaving the same impact.” — Unknown
20. “Emojis are by no means taking away from our written language but rather accentuating it by providing a tone that words on their own often cannot. They are, in a sense, the most evolved form of punctuation we have at our disposal.” — Emmy J. Favilla
Emoji quotes about expression and emotion
21. “Emojis are not only the stickers, it’s an emotion.” — Unknown
22. “Today the world seems incomplete without emojis, they are our power to express.” — Unknown
23. “If you want to express emotions, you should use emojis. It’s what they’re there for.” — A.D. Aliwat
24. “When we don’t have enough words to write, then emojis help convey the emotions.” — Unknown
25. “Chatting was never so much of fun until we had emojis to express ourselves in a much better way.” — Unknown
26. “Emoji, a Japanese expression, roughly means “picture word” and was created by Shigetaka Kurita in 1990.” — Unknown
27. “Your normal expression can only be seen by the person sitting on the other end of the screen with the help of an emoji.” — Unknown
28. “What makes emojis special is the fact that it has helped millions express themselves better than even the wide array of words in the oxford dictionary.” — Nancy Gibbs
29. “Thanks to the red flag emoji, Twitter users can just punctuate a tweet with the symbol, or even use a whole row of them to show something is troublesome.” — Erin Carson
30. “Oceans of emotion can be transmitted through a text message, an emoji sequence, and a winking semicolon, but humans are hardwired to respond to visuals.” — Jenna Wortham
Short emoji quotes
31. “I’d rather stay Emoji.” — Au/Ra
32. “I’m an emoji enthusiast.” — Chelsea Peretti
33. “Life is a complete emoji pack.” — Unknown
34. “I don’t use emojis. I go vintage.” — Rami Malek
35. “I don’t really use emojis. Is that weird?” — Ross Butler
36. “I feel like guys don’t think it’s cool to use emojis.” — Donald Glover
37. “I’m an emoji, I’ve got to have some sort of purpose here.” — Gene
38. “Every mountain high, every valley low *insert mountain emoji*.” — Unknown
39. “What are the two biggest things online? Selfies and emojis.” — Howie Mandel
40. “Welcome to the loser lounge where the emojis who never get used hang out.” — Hi-5
Thought-provoking emoji quotes
41. “A writer that needs emojis to give feedback to other writers is no writer.” — Rohit Panjwani
42. “You share the best relation with the one to whom you can send any emoji without backspace key.” — Amol Gade
43. “I have a song about how much I hate emojis and the lazy thinking of people who use them. I wish that more people had respect for the English language.” — Margaret Cho
44. “The true emoji question is what billions of people are currently doing with emoji, not what an advertiser or a philosopher thinks they could hypothetically do with them.” — Gretchen McCulloch
45. “I didn’t expect much from a movie about LEGOS, and that ended up being amazing! I didn’t expect much from a movie about emojis, and… suffice to say, lightning did not strike twice.” — Sean Moore
The difference between an emoji and an emoticon
Those of us who are a little older might remember including emoticons in our early cellphone and email communication.
An emoticon is how we represented human facial expressions using only keyboard characters, such as letters, numbers, and punctuation marks.
They were all the rage in the 1990s!
The word emoticon is a portmanteau.
A portmanteau is a word that blends the sounds and meanings of two other words.
In this case, the emoticon is the combining the words emotion and icon.
The difference between an emoticon and an emoji is simple!
Emoticons are built from keyboard characters put together in a certain way to represent a facial expression.
An emoji is an actual image.
What are some of your favorite emoticons from back in the day?
Do you have any othef emoji quotes and sayings to add?
Leave them (and your favorite emojis) in the comment section below!
April 15, 2022 7:00 AM EST