From one of the most acclaimed actors of his time, these John Wayne quotes speak about the value of manhood and what it means to live your life intentionally.
John Wayne is known for his roles in American westerns such as The Searchers and True Grit, and used the wisdom found in his movies to guide his everyday life.
What can we learn about the importance of manhood from John Wayne?
Wayne often focused on what he believed made a man, but the truth is, his values trace back to just a few things: sincerity, honesty, and the ability to stand your ground – values that any human being should include in their life.
The John Wayne quotes listed below will bring you through his philosophies and much more.
They will allow you to explore his movies, as well as his way of thinking.
Don’t forget to also read Johnny Cash quotes that will inspire you to live a full life.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Read more related content on our inspirational quotes category page.
John Wayne Quotes About Life
1. “Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.” – John Wayne
You will also enjoy our article on goodbye quotes.
2. “When you stop fighting, that’s death.” – John Wayne
You will also enjoy our article on marine quotes.
3. “Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway.” – John Wayne
4. “A man who won’t stand for what he believes isn’t a man!” – John Wayne
5. “Life is getting up one more time than you’ve been knocked down.” – John Wayne
6. “A man ought to do what he thinks is right.” – John Wayne
7. “A man’s got to have a code, a creed to live by.” – John Wayne
8. “A man deserves a second chance, but keep an eye on him.” – John Wayne
9. “Nobody should come to the movies unless he believes in heroes.” – John Wayne
10. “A goal, a love, and a dream give you total control over your body and your life.” – John Wayne
John Wayne Quotes to Motivate You to do Your Best
11. “I’m not the sort to back away from a fight. I don’t believe in shrinking from anything. It’s not my speed; I’m a guy who meets adversities head on.” – John Wayne
12. “Get off your butt and join the Marines.” – John Wayne
13. “I suppose my best attribute if you want to call it that, is sincerity. I can sell sincerity because that’s the way I am.” – John Wayne
14. “There’s right and there’s wrong. Y’gotta do one or the other, do the other and you may be walking around, but you’re dead as a beaver hat.” – John Wayne
15. “I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.” – John Wayne
16. “Hurry it up. We’re burning daylight!” – John Wayne
17. “I would like to be remembered, well… “FeoFuerte y formal,” which means he was ugly, strong, and had dignity.” – John Wayne
18. “I define manhood simply: men should be tough, fair, and courageous, never petty, never looking for a fight, but never backing down from one either.” – John Wayne
19. “When you come to see a picture of mine, I want you to know that I’m not going to do anything that will make you uncomfortable. I want you to know that you won’t be disappointed.” – John Wayne
John Wayne Quotes About the Reality of Human Beings
20. “I’d like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living.” – John Wayne
21. “You can take everything a man has as long as you leave him his dignity.” – John Wayne
22. “Real art is basic emotion. If a scene is handled with simplicity—and I don’t mean simple—it’ll be good, and the public will know it.” – John Wayne
23. “Nothing is so discouraging to an actor than to have to work for long hours upon hours in brightly lighted interior sets.” – John Wayne
24. “In my acting, I have to identify with something in the character. The big tough boy on the side of right — that’s me.” – John Wayne
25. “Life is hard; it’s harder if you’re stupid.” – John Wayne
What did you learn from these John Wayne quotes?
These John Wayne quotes show us what he valued in people as he moved through his life.
Wayne often placed his values on manhood, likely due to the tougher roles he played in his movies.
An acclaimed actor and filmmaker, Wayne set the stage for the modern western film.
How can his films influence how we look at our lives as a whole?
John Wayne often placed importance on the fact that a man is someone who sticks to his word no matter what, and yet lives peacefully when he can.
That’s a philosophy that should be applied to all our lives.
Stay grounded and peaceful, but don’t let anyone push you around.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these inspirational John Wayne quotes?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Tell us in the comment section below.
September 28, 2022 5:00 AM EST