These sad love quotes are sure to resonate with anyone who just lost an important relationship in their life.
In the comment section below, share which quote you related to the most.
You may also enjoy our article on:
What are the benefits of reading sad love quotes?
Allow these sad quotes to inspire you to see a light at the end of the tunnel and push you past the heartache.
These words might help you:
- Find a new perspective
- Remind you that you are not alone in your feelings
- Remember that your life has meaning
- Motivate yourself to reach a happier place
Sadness is a natural part of life that’s usually associated with certain experiences of loss or pain.
It has been said that the pain of loss is the price we pay for love.
But despite all the pain associated with it, sadness has some benefits as well.
Experts have also discovered that sadness helps one to think in a more detailed and attentive way.
What are some of the saddest quotes about life and love?
Although it has some benefits, frequently feeling sad can impact your quality of life.
You can avoid this by taking proactive measures such as focusing on improving your well-being, taking actions to be happier, and sharing your feelings with a trusted one.
Many things could make us sad, such as the loss of a loved one, conflict, failure, helplessness, and disappointment.
These loneliness quotes speak to a time of prolonged sadness, the period where we feel we are on our own when it comes to battling life’s challenges.
To help you through the hard times, here is our collection of uplifting, wise, and comforting sad quotes, sad sayings, and sad proverbs, collected from various sources over the years.
If you’re suffering from a broken heart, don’t hesitate to read our compilation of comforting heartbreak quotes that will make you feel better.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Read more related content on our inspirational quotes category page.
You will also enjoy our article on lonely quotes.
Sad Love Quotes to Lift Your Spirits
1. “Our greatest joy and our greatest pain come in our relationships with others.” – Stephen R. Covey
You will also enjoy our article on love quotes for her.
2. Tears come from the heart and not from the brain. – Leonardo da Vinci
You will also enjoy our article on deep love quotes.
3. “It is sad not to love, but it is much sadder not to be able to love.” – Miguel de Unamuno
You will also enjoy our article on love quotes for him.
4. “Some people are going to leave, but that’s not the end of your story. That’s the end of their part in your story.” ― Faraaz Kazi
You will also enjoy our article on falling in love quotes for him and her.
5. “If we must part forever, Give me but one kind word to think upon, And please myself with, while my heart’s breaking.” – Thomas Otway
You will also enjoy our article on unrequited love quotes about this complicated matter.
6. “It’s amazing how someone can break your heart and you can still love them with all the little pieces.” – Ella Harper
You will also enjoy our article on bad relationship quotes.
7. “There is one pain, I often feel, which you will never know. It’s caused by the absence of you.” – Ashleigh Brilliant
You will also enjoy our article on break up quotes.
8. “When you think your first falling in love, just then you realize you’re falling out of love.” – David Grayson
You will also enjoy our article on disappointment quotes.
9. “You can close your eyes to things you don’t want to see, but you can’t close your heart to things you don’t want to feel.” – Johnny Depp
You will also enjoy our article on broken heart quotes.
10. Sad things happen. They do. But we don’t need to live sad forever. – Mattie Stepanek
You will also enjoy our article on thinking of you quotes.
Sad love quotes to lighten your sorrows
11. “The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keeps out the joy.” – Jim Rohn
You will also enjoy our article on depression quotes.
12. Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn’t stop for anybody. – Stephen Chbosky
You will also enjoy our article on pain quotes.
13. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” ― Dr. Seuss
You will also enjoy our article on break-up quotes.
14. “You make me feel like a firefly. Trapped in a belljar; starved for love.” ― Ayushee Ghoshal
You will also enjoy our article on hurt quotes.
15. Part of me aches at the thought of her being so close yet so untouchable. – Nicholas Sparks
You will also enjoy our article on girlfriend quotes.
16. “It is better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.” ― Samuel Butler
You might also like these heart touching quotes celebrating love and life.
17. “Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” – Kahlil Gibran
You will also enjoy our article on missing someone quotes.
18. “He was acting like our kiss had broken him, and his reaction was breaking me.” ― Shannon A. Thompson
You will also enjoy our article on rejection quotes.
19. Love lies in those unsent drafts in your mailbox. Sometimes you wonder whether things would have been different if you’d clicked ‘Send’. – Faraaz Kazi
You will also enjoy our article on jealousy quotes.
20. “I wonder if I could take back every ‘I love you’ ever said to you, would I do it?” ― Faraaz Kazi
Sad quotes that might just change your outlook toward love and life
21. “Don’t let the scars on your heart define the way you love.” ― Laura Chouette
You will also enjoy our article on seduction quotes.
22. “You can’t buy love, but you can pay heavily for it.” ― Henny Youngman
You will also enjoy our article on soulmate quotes.
23. “There is nothing more painful in this world than to be in love with something that never can be.” ― Laura Chouette
You will also enjoy our article on feeling lost quotes.
24. Just let me keep the last piece of my heart before you tear it all apart.— Lykke Li
25. “Sometimes temporary feels like a blessing in a world where love only lasts a second.” ― Laura Chouette
26. “Never make a decision when you are upset, sad, jealous or in love.” – Mario Teguh
27. “There is love of course. And then there’s life, its enemy.” — Jean Anouilh
28. “Love isn’t there to make us happy. I believe it exists to show us how much we can endure.” — Hermann Hesse
29. “Since I can’t be with you right now I will have to be content just dreaming about when we will be together again.” – Susan Polis Schutz
30. “Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it’s better to leave them broken than try to hurt yourself putting it back together.”
Don’t forget to read these cheating quotes that will help you heal.
Sad quotes about love and life
31. Nothing is worse than when someone who’s supposed to love you just leaves.— Ava Dellaira
32. “Falling in love is like holding a candle. Initially it lightens up the world around you. Then it starts melting and hurt you. Finally it goes off and everything is darker than ever and all you are left with is the.. BURN!” ― Syed Arshad
33. I wish I could give you my pain just for one moment so you can understand how much you hurt me.— Mohsen El-Guindy
34. “I’ve lost love. I’ve tried to reclaim a lost love and didn’t know how to do it.” — Sam Worthington
35. It hurts to leave a light on for nobody.— Graham Foust
36. “As the light begins to intensify, so does my misery, and I wonder how it is possible to hurt so much when nothing is wrong.”― Tabitha Suzuma
37. “There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love.” — Washington Irving
38. It’s sad when someone you know becomes someone you knew. – Henry Rollins
39. Let my soul smile through my heart and my heart smile through my eyes, that I may scatter rich smiles in sad hearts. – Paramahansa Yogananda
40. “I cannot eat, I cannot drink; the pleasures of youth and love are fled away: there was a good time once, but now that is gone, and life is no longer life.” – Plato
Sad love quotes to help fix a broken heart
41. “Your absence has gone through me
Like thread through a needle
Everything I do is stitched with its color.”― W.S. Merwin
42. “He taught me how to love, but not how to stop.” ― Anonymous
43. “How could an Angel break my heart? Why didn’t he catch my falling star? I wish I didn’t wish so hard. Maybe I wished our love apart.” ― Tony Braxton
44. You ruin your love because you don’t think you deserve anything good.— Warsan Shire
45. The word ‘happy’ would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. – Carl Jung
46. First, accept sadness. Realize that without losing, winning isn’t so great. – Alyssa Milano
47. You can never control who you fall in love with, even when you’re in the most sad, confused time of your life. You don’t fall in love with people because they’re fun. It just happens. – Kirsten Dunst
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of confused quotes about the ups and downs of life.
48. “Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don’t know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of withering, of tarnishing.” – Anais Nin
49. You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness. – Jonathan Safran Foer
50. It will never rain roses: when we want to have more roses, we must plant more roses. – George Eliot
Also, see these toxic relationship quotes that will encourage you to love yourself.
Sad quotes to get you through the tough times
51. The good times of today, are the sad thoughts of tomorrow. – Bob Marley
52. For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, “It might have been.” – John Greenleaf Whittier
53. Sadness is but a wall between two gardens. – Khalil Gibran
54. Sadness is also a kind of defence. – Ivo Andric
55. When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us. – Alexander Graham Bell
56. “Rather than crying & craving for those who left our path during dark moments of our life, lets spend some time to thank them who stood and helped us to pass those dark paths.”― Nehali Lalwani
57. “People love each other for many reasons, not all of them good […]. They love each other because it’s easy. Or because they’re used to it. Or because they’ve given up. Or because they’re scared.” ― Nathan Hill
58. “Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad.” ― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
59. “Tears shed for another person are not a sign of weakness. They are a sign of a pure heart.” ― José N. Harris
60. “Tears are words that need to be written.” ― Paulo Coelho
If you’re enjoying this article, you might also like these break up quotes that will help you overcome the pain of separation.
Sad love quotes to inspire and teach
61. “Percy let me go, she croaked. You can’t pull me up. Never” ― Rick Riordan
62. “Who would have listened to his tales of woe when his love was the flickering lamp over his own decaying tomb?” ― Faraaz Kazi
63. “And in the end, I said you would love me. We’re in the end and there’s only one of us here.” ― Dominic Riccitello
64. “I’ll love you even when I can’t”
“I’ll love you even when I shouldn’t” ― Colleen Hoover
65. “Me wondering why they don’t say nothing about a kiss being salty as a tear.” ― Lindsay Hunter
66. “Sometimes you don’t realize how much you care for someone until they stop caring for you.” – Anonymous
67. “The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keeps out the joy.”- Jim Rohn
68. “There is no disguise which can hide love for long where it exists, or simulate it where it does not.” – La Rochefoucauld
69. “Hearts are not had as a gift, But hearts are earned…” – William Butler Yeats
70. “Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love.” – Charlie Brown
Sad love quotes to cheer you up
71. “The worst feeling in the world is knowing you’ve done everything you can to show someone you love them, and yet they still choose someone else over you.” – Bernajoy Vaal
72. “So it’s true, when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love.” – E.A. Bucchianeri
73. “Hearts can break. Yes, hearts can break. Sometimes I think it would be better if we died when they did, but we don’t.” – Stephen King
74. “The worst feeling is not being lonely. It’s when someone makes you feel special, then suddenly leaves you and you have to pretend you don’t mind at all.” – Nishan Panwar
75. “Hearts are breakable. Even when you heal, you’re never what you were before.” – Cassandra Clare
76. “Among my stillness was a pounding heart.”― Shannon A. Thompson
77. “I felt her absence. it was like waking up one day with no teeth in your mouth. you wouldn’t need to run to the mirror to know they were gone.” – James Dashner
78. “Missing someone special to you bring tears to your eyes, but remembering all the good times you had brings a smile to your face.” – Nishan Panwar
79. “I just wanted to tell you that I understand if you go. It’s okay if you have to leave us. It’s okay if you want to stop fighting.” – Gayle Forman
80. “I wore your promise on my finger for one year. I’ll wear your name on my heart till I die. Because you were my boy, you were my only boy forever.” – Coco J. Ginger
81. “Sometimes we get sad about things and we don’t like to tell other people that we are sad about them. We like to keep it a secret. Or sometimes, we are sad but we really don’t know why we are sad, so we say we aren’t sad but we really are.”– Mark Haddon
82. “The sweetest part of being a couple is sharing your life with someone else. But my life, evidently, had not been good enough to share.” – Charlaine Harris
83. “When the person you love can’t see your love for them beneath the painful things you say when they reject you, remember this: Love is blind.”― Shannon L. Alder
84. “Tears are words the mouth can’t say nor can the heart bear.”– Joshua Wisenbaker
85. “Every night, I laid awake with your memories flooding through my eyes with the hope to be with you when sleep arrived.”― Anmol Rawat
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of shame quotes for dealing with self-conscious emotions.
Sad love quotes about heartbreak
86. “One day you’re going to remember me and how much I loved you… then you’re gonna hate yourself for letting me go.” – Aubrey Drake Graham
87. “Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.” – Richard Puz
88. “Don’t cry when the sun is gone, because the tears won’t let you see the stars.” – Violeta Parra
89. “Love is the most beautiful of dreams and the worst of nightmares.” – Aman Jassal
90. “The heart was made to be broken.” – Oscar Wilde
91. “A broken heart is just the growing pains necessary so that you can love more completely when the real thing comes along.” – J.S.B. Morse
92. “The clouds wept when my heart sang a song of sorrow.” – Sonya Watson
93. “Unrequited love is the infinite curse of a lonely heart.” – Christina Westover
94. “Sometimes it takes a heartbreak to shake us awake and help us see we are worth so much more than we’re settling for.” – Mandy Hale
95. “The way to my heart was shattered when you left me, but I was glad because your memories were invulnerable, locked inside my heart.” – Anmol Rawat
96. “It is strange how often a heart must be broken before the years can make it wise.” – Sara Teasdale
97. “I understand that if you have never suffered a broken heart, then you have never really known what it is to truly be alive.” – Patti Roberts
98. “I’d rather love a million times and have my heart broken every time, than hold a permanently empty heart forever.” – H.C. Paye
99. “I know my heart will never be the same but I’m telling myself I’ll be okay.” – Sara Evans
100. “The shattering of a heart when being broken is the loudest quiet ever.” – Carroll Bryant
Sad love quotes for the broken hearted
101. “You know, I’ll be loving you still. The nights are lonely, the days are so sad and I just keep thinking about the love that we had. And I’m missing you and nobody knows it but me.” – Shayne Ward
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of miss you quotes to fill that loneliness in your heart.
102. “Sometimes we hurt the ones we love, but hurting ourselves to avoid it doesn’t make it better.”― Shannon A. Thompson
103. “Love is never supposed to hurt. Love is supposed to heal, to be your haven from misery, to make living worthwhile.” – Mia Asher
104. “It’s the love that goes through the hardest trials and survives that’s worth having.” – Katie Ashley
105. “Just because we can’t be together doesn’t mean I don’t love you.” – Cecily von Ziegesar
106. “I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them together again and tell myself that the mended whole was as good as new. What is broken is broken — and I’d rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived.” – Margaret Mitchell
107. “The flame of love is now just a cold loneliness.” – Uniek Swain
108. “It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.” – Samuel Butler
109. “Let your tears come. Let them water your soul.” – Eileen Mayhew
110. “To live in a hallucination of being loved is more painful than rejection.”― Vinaya Panicker
111. “Life goes on… with or without you.” – Faraaz Kazi
112. “To fall in love is awfully simple, but to fall out of love is simply awful.” – Bess Myerson
113. “To the world, you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.” – Bill Wilson
114. “Every heart needs a cutting part sharper than a blade to stab agony.”― Munia Khan
115. “The worst feeling is to be ignored once, then twice, then again and again by someone you consider precious.” – Betsy Kenton
Sad love quotes to enlighten
116. “Pleasure of love lasts but a moment. Pain of love lasts a lifetime.” – Bette Davis
117. “To live in this world you must be able to do three things: to love what is mortal; to hold it against your bones knowing your own life depends on it; and when the time comes to let it go, to let it go.” – Mary Oliver
118. “He is not a lover who does not love forever.” – Euripides
119. “The hottest love has the coldest end.” – Socrates
120. “I was born when you kissed me. I died when you left me. I lived a few weeks while you loved me.” – Humphrey Bogart
121. “Love seeketh not itself to please, nor for itself hath any care, but for another gives its ease, and builds a Heaven in Hell’s despair.” – William Blake
122. “Love is or it ain’t. Thin love ain’t love at all.” – Toni Morrison
123. “Sometimes you need to run away just to see who will come after you.” – Lisa Page Brooks
124. “I wonder if I could take back every ‘I love you’ ever said to you, would I do it?” – Faraaz Kazi
125. “When people can walk away from you: Let them walk.” –
T. D. Jakes
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of walk away quotes to help you find the motivation and courage you need to change your life.
Sad love quotes to express your sad feelings
126. “Love is hard to find, hard to keep, and hard to forget.” ― Alysha Speer
127. “This is what it felt like to have a broken heart. It felt less like a cracking down the middle and more like she had swallowed it whole and it sat bruised and bleeding in the pit of her stomach.”― Wendy Wunder
128. “I did the searching and remembering, She did the disappearing and the forgetting.” ― Ann Brashares
129. “She had tricked him. She had made him leave his old self behind and come into her world, and then before he was really at home in it but too late to go back, she had left him stranded there–like an astronaut wandering about on the moon. Alone.”― Katherine Paterson
130. “Love must not suffocate but breathe on its own.”― Soraya Naomi
131. “Envy hurt exponentially more than heartbreak because your soul was torn in two, half soaring with happiness for another person, half mired in a well of selfpity and pain.”― Diana Peterfreund
132. “If you love something, let it go…”― Karen Shreck
133. “Love can sometimes be magic..but magic can sometimes ..just be an illusion.” – Javan
134. “Sometimes waiting is the hardest thing of all.”― Luanne Rice
135. “I love you forever. I am sorry I cannot love you now.” ― Nick Harkaway
Sad love quotes for the broken-hearted
136. “Sometimes, when one person is missing, the whole world seems depopulated.” – Lamartine
137. “Love hurts, if rejected or betrayed.
If not at all, then love is all around.”― Toba Beta
138. “My love lies bleeding.” – Thomas Campbell
139. “The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost.” – G.K. Chesterton
140. “Love reckons hours for months, and days for years; and every little absence is an age.” – John Dryden
141. “Love bleeds you dry until the red organ ceases to beat.” ― Sonya Watson
142. “All my memories still smell of you!”― Avijeet Das
143. “The more I know of the world, the more I am convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love.” – Jane Austen
144. “But love is not a joke, it also means sharing someone else’s pain.”― Banana Yoshimoto
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of relationship quotes celebrating real love.
145. “You flew off with the wings of my heart and left me flightless.” – Terri Guillemets
Sad love quotes about feeling hurt
146. “Every time your heart is broken, a doorway cracks open to a world full of new beginnings, new opportunities.” – Patti Roberts
147. “Regret not that you suffer in love, regret if you don’t.” ― Abhijit Naskar
148. “We were inseparable once. And today I hate even thinking about you.”― Garima Soni
149. “Only the one you will love will have the ability to hurt you.” ― Purvi Mehta
150. “I don’t mind the pain you give me. As long as you promise to heal me with your love.” ― Garima Soni
151. “There is a distinct, awful pain that comes with loving someone more than they love you.” – Steve Maraboli
152. “There are many ways of breaking a heart. Stories were full of hearts broken by love, but what really broke a heart was taking away its dream – whatever that dream might be.” – Pearl Buck
153. “You gave me wings to fly, then took away my sky.” – Leonora Speyer
154. “Every time we fall in love we fall more apart.” ― Laura Chouette
155. “The magic of first love is our ignorance that it can ever end.” – Benjamin Disraeli
Have you seen these disappointment quotes that will inspire you to bounce back?
Deep sad love quotes
156. “Let them go if they always have an excuse to stay away from you.”― Garima Soni
157. “Loving someone and being with them are two different things. Just cherish the magical times that both interlink.” ― Rasheed Ogunlaru
158. “Love is stupid. All we do is break one another’s heart.” ― Holly Black
159. “Moving on is tough, specially when you gave too much love.”― Heather Mae Buban
160. “Love without return is like a question without an answer.” – Alfred Lord Tennyson
161. “He was my sweetest fantasy and my bitter reality.” ― Luffina Lourduraj
162. “We are fools to believe to believe that we have LOVED when it is just a sugar-coated word for NEED,”― Mystqx Skye
163. “We must get our hearts broken sometimes. This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
164. “You know you love someone when you can’t hate them for breaking your heart.” – Unknown
165. “Never love with all your heart, it only ends in breaking.” – English Proverb
Sad love quotes to express how you really feel
166. “I’m technically single but my heart is taken by someone I can’t call my own.” – Unknown
167. “I will never regret you or say I wish I’d never met you. Because once upon a time you were exactly what I needed.” – Unknown
168. “I wish I could just ask you what you think of me.” – Unknown
169. “I wish I could hurt you the way you hurt me. But I know that if I had the chance, I wouldn’t do it.” – Unknown
170. “It’s hard to sleep when your heart is at war with your mind.” – Unknown
171. “A heart doesn’t have to stop beating to be dead.” – Unknown
172. “How do you tell someone that the reason you’re sad is that you love them?” – Unknown
173. “I miss the time when you just wanted to spend every second of your life with me.” – Unknown
174. “My mistake was making you a priority when I was your second choice.” – Unknown
175. “The worst feeling in the world is when you can’t love anyone else because your heart still belongs to the one who broke it.” – Unknown
You might also like these love quotes for him to help you make your man feel special.
Sad love quotes for the broken-hearted
176. “Don’t let your happiness depend on something you may lose.” – C.S Lewis
177. “We are afraid to care too much, for fear that the other person does not care at all.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
178. “Sometimes your eyes are not the only place the tears fall from.” – Faraaz Kazi
179. “Relationships fail because people take their own insecurities and try and twist them into their partner’s flaws.” — Baylor Barbee
180. “I’m sorry I was not good enough. But I tried to be.” – Unknown
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of I’m sorry quotes for when you can’t find the right words.
181. “The heart will break, but broken live on.” — Lord Byron
182. “That feeling you get in your stomach when your heart’s broken. It’s like all the butterflies just died.” – Unknown
183. “The cure for a broken heart is simple, my lady. A hot bath and a good night’s sleep.” — Margaret George
184. “You stopped saying good morning, you stopped saying goodnight, that’s when I knew I had lost you.” – Unknown
185. “Sharp are the arrows of a broken heart.” — Cassandra Clar
More sad love quotes
186. “Moving on is simple; it’s what you leave behind that makes it so difficult.” – Unknown
187. “A deadness occurs in relationships when people are no longer willing to tell each other how they really feel.” — Shakti Gawain
188. “When I first met you. I didn’t know you were going to be this important to me.” – Unknown
189. “Only time can heal your broken heart. Just as only time can heal his broken arms and legs.” — Miss Piggy
190. “A person that truly loves you will never let you go, no matter how hard the situation is.” – Unknown
191. “Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.” — Marilyn Monroe
192. “I can’t even look at you anymore, all I see is this stranger that once meant everything to me.” – Unknown
193. “It’s hard asking someone with a broken heart to fall in love again.” — Eric Kripke
194. “I only miss you when I’m breathing.” – Unknown
195. “When you think you’re first falling in love, just then you realize you’re falling out of love.” – David Grayson
196. “A teardrop is insignificant in a pool of water, but it can touch the soul as it runs down someone’s face.” – Unknown
197. “Just because I let you go doesn’t mean I wanted to.” – Unknown
198. “Someone can walk into your life and it is not until after they walk out that you realize that they were even there.” – Unknown
199. “Sometimes you just have to accept the fact that things will not go back to the way they used to be.” – Unknown
200. “Sometimes you have to forget what’s gone, appreciate what still remains, and look forward to what’s coming next.” – Unknown
Sad love quotes to relate to
201. “You can love them, forgive them, want good things for them … but still move on without them.” – Mandy Hale
202. “How do you know when it’s over?” “Maybe when you feel more in love with your memories than with the person standing in front of you.” – Gunnar Ardelius
203. “The hardest thing is not talking to someone you used to talk to every day.” – Unknown
204. “The hardest thing I’ll ever do is walk away still loving you.” – Tracy Lawrence
205. “You don’t need closure. You just need to give yourself permission to move on.” – Steve Harvey
206. “What appears to be the end, is actually a new beginning.” – Unknown
207.”Life goes on after a breakup.” – Andi Dorfman
208. “I don’t think breakups are ever easy for anybody. If they are, they aren’t much of a breakup.” – Chris Young
209. “It is very easy to say “Hi” but it is very hard to say goodbye.” – Unknown
210. “I learned that people leave. Even if they have promised a thousand times that they won’t.” – Unknown
Sad love quotes that touch the heart
211. “I won’t ever leave you, even though you’re always leaving me.” – Audrey Niffenegger, The Time Traveler’s Wife
212. “You left with my soul in your fists and my heart in your teeth, and I don’t want either of them back.” – Colleen Hoover, November 9
213. “I don’t know why they call it heartbreak. It feels like every other part of my body is broken too.” – Terri Guillemets
214. “What a painful thing to taste forever in the eyes of someone who doesn’t see the same.” – Perry Poetry
215. “Love that remains longest in your heart is the one that is not returned.” – Unknown
216. “Lonely’s a different kind of pain, it doesn’t hurt as bad as heartbreak. I preferred it and embraced it ‘cause I reckoned it was one or the other.” – Kristen Ashley, For You
217. “The sorrow we feel when we lose a loved one is the price we pay to have had them in our lives.” – Rob Liano
218. “Come back! Even as a shadow, even as a dream.” — Euripides, Herakles
219. “The emotion that can break your heart is sometimes the very one that heals it.” – Nicholas Sparks, At First Sight
220. “Perhaps someday I’ll crawl back home, beaten, defeated. But not as long as I can make stories out of my heartbreak, beauty out of sorrow.” – Sylvia Plath
Sad love quotes anyone can relate to
221. “I think the worst part about a breakup sometimes, if one could choose a worst part, would possibly be if you get out of a relationship, and you don’t recognize yourself because you changed a lot about you.” – Taylor Swift
222. “When someone leaves, it’s because someone else is about to arrive.” – Paulo Coelho
223. “Breakups can be sad, but sometimes tears are the price we pay for a freedom we need.” – Steve Maraboli
224 “Love is unconditional. Relationships are not.” – Grant Gudmunson
225. “Let it hurt. Let it bleed. Let it heal. And let it go.” – Nikita Gill
226. “Roses lose their petals. But they bloom again.” – Unknown
227. “What is meant to stay will stay.” – Unknown
228. “It hurts because it mattered.” – John Green
229. “My heart is broken but my mind says I’m okay.” – Unknown
230. “When you leave me it feels like someone has made a hole in my heart.” – Unknown
Don’t forget to also read our collection of quotes about losing a loved one to help you express the feelings behind loss.
Short sad love quotes
231. “Love is a hole in the heart.” — Ben Hecht
232. “The sweetest joy, the wildest woe is love.” — Pearl Bailey
233. “Love is like heaven, but it can hurt like hell.” — Anonymous
234. “Love is like war: easy to begin but hard to end.” — Anonymous
235. “Love is the wisdom of the fool and the folly of the wise.” — S. Johnson
236. “The pain of love is the pain of being alive. It is a perpetual wound.” — Maureen Duffy
237. “Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a teardrop.” — Anonymous
238. “To love and win is the best thing. To love and lose, the next best.” — William M. Thackeray
239. “No matter how badly your heart is broken, the world does not stop for your grief.” — Anonymous
240. “I never felt true love until I was with you, and I never felt true sadness until you left me.” — Anonymous
Sad Love Quotes To Overcome A Heartbreak
241. “I gave you my love, I gave you my heart, I gave you everything you ever wanted and all you did was take it for granted…leaving me broken hearted.” — Chris Elam
242. “Every relationship is just so tenuous and precarious.” — Larry David
243. “Better to have loved and lost than to live with regret.” — Big Pun
244. “I love sad songs. They say so much. I love country music but even the happy songs sound really sad.” — Beth Ditto
245. “There is no such thing as a lovers’ oath.” — Plato
246. “And ever has it been known that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” — Khalil Gibran
247. “A person isn’t who they are during the last conversation you had with them – they’re who they’ve been throughout your whole relationship.” — Rainer Maria Rilke
248. “The best way to mend a broken heart is time and girlfriends.” — Gwyneth Paltrow
249. “Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart.” — Washington Irving
250. “They always say the hottest love has the coldest end.” — Drake
Sad Love Quotes That We Can Relate To
251. “The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected.” — Nicholas Sparks
252. “There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.” — Dante Alighieri
253. “I always like walking in the rain, so no one can see me crying.” — Charlie Chaplin
254. “Loneliness is proof that your innate search for connection is intact.” — Martha Beck
255. “Goodbye always makes my throat hurt.” — Charles M. Schultz
256. “The largest part of what we call ‘personality’ is determined by how we’ve opted to defend ourselves against anxiety and sadness.” — Alain de Botton
257. “There is a time for departure, even when there’s no certain place to go.” — Tennessee Williams
258. “All great and precious things are lonely.” — John Steinbeck
259. “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” — A. A. Milne
260. “The more you love, the more you cry.” — Priyanshu Singh
Sad Love Quotes for When You Are Heartbroken
261. “Tonight I can write the saddest lines I loved her, and sometimes she loved me too.” — Pablo Neruda
262. “To be forgotten by the one to whom you never forget is the worst thing ever happens.” — Zubair Ahmed
263. “That’s what love is like: mother of the greatest bliss and stepmother of the most tragic misery.” — Stefanos Livos
264. “Absence is to love what wind is to fire; It extinguishes the small, it inflames the great.” — Roger de Rabutin
265. “When you go through a breakup, it feels like someone died. And the truth is that someone has died – the relationship.” — Osayi Osar-Emokpae
266. “If you love somebody, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. And if they don’t, they never were.” — Kahlil Gibran
267. “They say when you are missing someone that they are probably feeling the same, but I don’t think it’s possible for you to miss me as much as I’m missing you right now.” — Edna St. Vincent Millay
268. “When one person is in control of another, love cannot grow deeply and fully, as there is no freedom.” — Henry Cloud
269. “Plant each hour a thought of love for those who have hurt you, destroy the idea that anyone can take away your happiness.” — Albert E. Cliffe
270. “Every broken heart has screamed at one time or another: Why can’t you see who I truly am?” — Shannon L. Alder
Sad Love Quotes When Finding True Love
271. “We are all so much together, but we are all dying of loneliness.” ― Albert Schweitzer
272. “I think you have to pay for love with bitter tears.” — Edith Piaf
273. “Loss alone is but the wounding of a heart; it is memory that makes it our ruin.” — Brian Ruckley
274. “I used to think you were the best thing that happened, but now I think you might maybe be the worst thing.” — Silver
275. “Real relationships are the product of time spent, which is why so many of us have so few of them.” ― Craig D. Lounsbrough
276. “I know I am but summer to your heart, and not the full four seasons of the year.” ― Edna St. Vincent Millay
277. “It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.” — Friedrich Nietzsche
278. “It is so difficult in the world for people to find love, true love.” — LaToya Jackson
279. “Hearts live by being wounded.” — Oscar Wilde
280. “The most painful thing is losing yourself in the process of loving someone too much, and forgetting that you are special too.” — Ernest Hemingway
Sad Love Quotes For Emotions You Can’t Control
281. “The opposite of the happy ending is not actually the sad ending—the sad ending is sometimes the happy ending. The opposite of the happy ending is actually the unsatisfying ending.” — Orson Scott Card
282. “He had a word, too. love, he called it. But I had been used to words for a long time. I knew that that word was like the others: just a shape to fill a lack.” — William Faulkner
283. “Love is a sickness full of woes.” — Samuel Daniel
284. “Failed relationships can be described as so much wasted make-up.” — Marian Keyes
285. “To lose someone you love is to alter your life forever. You don’t get over it because “it” is the person you loved. The pain stops, there are new people, but the gap never closes. How could it?” — Jeanette Winterson
286. “What love we’ve given, we’ll have forever. What love we fail to give, will be lost for all eternity.” — Leo Buscaglia
287. “How can I be reasonable? To me our love was everything and you were my whole life. It is not very pleasant to realize that to you it was only an episode.” — W. Somerset Maugham
288. “A pain stabbed my heart, as it did every time I saw a girl I loved who was going the opposite direction in this too-big world.” — Jack Kerouac
289. “He broke my heart. You merely broke my life.” — Vladimir Nabokov
290. “Let’s not forget that the little emotions are the great captains of our lives and we obey them without realizing it.” — Vincent Van Gogh
Sad Love Quotes To Cry It All Out
291. “There is something beautiful about all scars of whatever nature. A scar means the hurt is over, the wound is closed and healed, done with.” — Harry Crews
292. “The farewell kiss which resembles greeting, that last glance of love which becomes the sharpest pang of sorrow.” — George Eliot
293. “We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.” — Kenji Miyazawa
294. “Nothing hurts more than realizing they meant everything to you, but you meant nothing to them.” — Maya Angelou
295. “Cry. Forgive. Learn. Move on. Let your tears water the seeds of your future happiness.” — Steve Maraboli
296. “O Gentle Love, ungentle for thy deed, / Thou makest my heart / A bloody mark / With piercing shot to bleed.” — George Peele
297. “It’s hard to believe that there’s nobody out there. It’s hard to believe that I’m all alone. At least I have her love, the city she loves me. Lonely as I am, together we cry.” — Anthony Kiedis
298. “The soul would have no rainbow had the eyes no tears.” — John Vance Cheney
299. “If you are going through hell, keep going.” — Winston Churchill
300. “Some things can be fixed. Some things are just too broken.” — Susan Vaught
Sad Love Quotes About Heartfelt Lost Love
301. “I loved her, and I still do, but now my love for her is like a ghost, haunting me.” ― Sylvia Plath
302. “I loved her, and I still do. But I let her go, and that’s the biggest regret of my life.” ― Jane Austen
303. “I loved her, and I lost her. But the memory of her will always be with me, a constant reminder of what could have been.” ― J.D. Salinger
304. “Love is never wrong.” ― Melissa Etheridge
305. “The saddest thing about love is that not only that it cannot last forever, but that heartache is soon forgotten.” ― William Faulkner
306. “Love is not a feeling of happiness. Love is a willingness to sacrifice.” ― J.D. Greear
307. “The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” ― Victor Hugo
308. “I have waited for this opportunity for more than half a century, to repeat to you once again my vow of eternal fidelity and everlasting love.” ― Gabriel Garcia Marquez
309. “Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds.” ― William Shakespeare
310. “I loved her against reason, against promise, against peace, against hope, against happiness, against all discouragement that could be.” ― Charles Dickens
Which are your favorite sad love quotes
Feelings of sadness are inevitable in life.
No matter your status, you’re bound to experience sadness at some point in your life.
It could be as a result of death, break-ups, failure, conflict, or any other undesirable event.
Luckily, there are things you can do to overcome sadness.
Hopefully, these sad quotes have helped lift your spirits and given you ideas on how to cope with sadness.
Did you enjoy these sad love quotes?
Which of the quotes was your favorite?
We would love to hear all about it in the comment section below.
January 27, 2023 5:00 AM EST