Step your game up with these thought-provoking friend zone quotes.
The friend zone is discussed as a purgatory of emotion, a terribly awkward place where feelings are not validated, and our desires are never met.
But is the friend zone such a horrible place to be?
Tell us which friend zone quote resonated most with you in the comment section below.
What are the benefits of reading these friend zone quotes?
Humans are complex beings.
We do not always immediately know exactly what we want, particularly regarding relationships.
This is perfectly normal; we all need time to determine what we prefer and do not.
Our tastes and preferences evolve.
A friendship is a beautiful way to get to know someone authentically, which is a good thing.
Friendships are like romantic relationships; they must begin on solid ground for them to last.
Those who start with a friendship have a much better chance of developing a solid foundation as romantic partners than those who start a relationship based solely on physical attraction.
You can try to avoid the friend zone by:
- have a plan for your time spent together
- be clear that you have feelings for someone, and don’t pretend you just want to be friends
- tell the other person what you like about them
Of course, our feelings are not always reciprocated, so respect is important.
Being self-aware and assertive are not bad things, though!
Friend zone quotes
1. “I’ve definitely done time in the friend zone.” — Demetri Martin
2. “Always a boyfriend, never a boyfriend.” — Christian Simamora
3. “Love is blind friendship closes its eyes.” — Neera Kapur Badhwar
4. “If friends make good lovers, then why didn’t it work out for me?” — Crisel Blenda
5. “Friendzone teenage purgatory; like a mirage of an oasis in a sweltering desert.” — Marshall Wagoner
6. “Friend zone’ being friend zone is like.. moon around the earth but earth around the sun.” — Dharam Singh Rathore
Friend zone meaning quotes
7. “Climbing out of the friend zone one sweet moment at a time.” — Anonymous
8. “I was the best friend that a person could be until they realized I was more.” — Anonymous
9. “Not all great loves happen instantly. Sometimes platonic becomes romantic over time.” — Anonymous
10. “Rejection is the friend you never knew you needed. It usually saves you time and money.” ― Kevin Darné
11. “There is boy friend and then there is boyfriend that tiny little space is known as the friend zone. Don’t get it twisted.” — Anonymous
12. “Eventually, I spent so much time in the friend zone that I grew to think of it as some kind of magical home away from home.” — Dylan Garity
13. “Once you have accepted the fact that the best relationship that you two can have is friendship, then you can finally move on and find a new love.” — Crisel Blenda
Friend zone lyrics quotes
14. “Climbing out of the friend zone one sweet moment at a time.” — Anonymous
15. “Perhaps this is the nature of true deprivation, a lifetime of love, tenderly spurned.” — Jane Avrich
16. “Should I smile because we are friends? Or cry because we’ll never be anything more?” — Latifah Bates
17. “I’ve often liked a girl, made her laugh, and thought she liked me, and then found out that she didn’t like me that way.” — Demetri Martin
18. “He chuckles and says, “Finally. More than friends.” I put on the most serious face I can muster and offer, “yeah, more than friends… Best friends forever!” — Belle Aurora
19. “But I can’t just be your buddy because as much as I enjoy the concept of being “just friends” in reality it’s a bizarre form of torture and I’m just not willing to participate in it.” — Joey
Friend zone books quotes
20. “Once a girl decides you’re her ‘friend,’ it’s game over. You’ve become a complete non-sexual entity in her eyes, like her brother, or a lamp.” — Ryan Reynolds
21. “If they thought you were possibly ‘the one,’ they would not risk leaving you on the open market. After all, there is no such thing as being ‘exclusive friends.’” — Kevin Darné
22. “The friend becomes a traitor by breaking, however unwillingly or sadly, out of our own zone. A hard judgment is passed on him, for all the pleas of the heart.” — Elizabeth Bowen
23. “But being ‘nice’ doesn’t mean girls want to date you. Being ‘nice’ doesn’t mean girls should date you. Girls shouldn’t have to do anything because you’re ‘nice’ to them.” — Will Gallagher
24. “The truth is he’ll never see me as more than a friend; I’ve known that all along and accepted the fact right away. But, still, the fool in me grasps at what little hope there is.” — Jen Albino
25. “People who blame the friend zone are cowards who choose to think that the girl never gave them a chance; but in truth, every girl has thoroughly weighed out the pros and cons before rejecting guys.” — Daphne Sze
26. “When they’re happy, it brightens the world. When they’re sad, your world erodes. When you look at them, you see utter brilliance, magnificence perfectness, but when they see you, they only see one thing: Friend.” — Marshall Wagoner
Friend zone song quotes
27. “Relationship status: friend zone.” — Anonymous
28. “As everyone else passes through their life, I will remain… even if it’s only in the friend zone.” — Anonymous
29. “But I worried that we’d never take that perilous leap of faith toward becoming a real couple, a permanent team.” — Emily Giffin
30. “I don’t like relationships, though. I mean, it is nice and all, but I prefer to be the friend. I don’t know why. They’re kind of exhausting.” — Abraham M. Alghanem
31. “The truth is, I’m scared to be your friend, because I’m always going to want more. But then I got to thinking that I would rather have you in my life as a friend than not at all.” — Chris
32. “I think once you’re in the friend zone, I’m not sure how you get out. Well, actually, I do know how you get out. You act like the friend back. That’s how you get out.” — Emma Roberts
33. “If you run into each other here and there and talk for hours and maybe even hook up, but you don’t hear from him after… he likes you, he just doesn’t like you enough.” — Sabrina Alexis
34. “This is the girl of your dreams! Ravish her! What if she doesn’t want to be ravished? What if she wants to stay friends? Friends don’t ravish each other. Friends watch New Year’s Rockin’ Eve.” — Chris
Friend zone meme quotes
35. “Think of the friend zone as the safe zone. Friends are forever.” — Anonymous
36. “Seeking a good partner? Check the members of your friend zone.” — Anonymous
37. “The ‘friend zone’ is like the penalty box of dating, only you can never get out.” — Ryan Reynolds
38. “The friend zone can be a dark place. It makes it hard to see the true gems.” — Anonymous
39. “I couldn’t just be your friend. And at first I thought that was my flaw. But it was a flaw in you, for asking that of me.” — Kirsten Corley
40. “Some love comes like the wind off the sea, while others grow slowly from the seeds of friendship and kindness.” — Raymond E. Feist
41. “So we can be friends, right?’ Wait, what? I stare at her, a frown forming at my mouth. Did I..? Did I just get Friend-zoned?” — Belle Aurora
42. “There’s a guy out there who will want to tell everyone that he is your boyfriend. Quit goofing around and go find him.” — Greg Behrendt
Friend zone best friends romance quotes
43. “Being in the ‘zone’ does not mean the end of things for you.” — Crisel Blenda
44. “You wanna know what the truth is? I still love you and I probably will love you for a very long time.” — Joey
45. “When you give someone your whole heart and he doesn’t want it, you cannot take it back. It’s gone forever.” — Sylvia Plath
46. “I would rather be in the friend zone than in a relationship with someone who doesn’t appreciate me.” — @friendzonequote, Twitter
47. “So right now what I wanna do is just move on and get over you and the only way for me to do that is to not be around you anymore.” — Joey
48. “Sure, we were friends who exchanged soulful glances, friends who slept in a bed filled with sexual tension, friends who found any excuse to touch.” — Emily Giffin
49. “I’ll probably always love you. And when and if our paths cross again I know, I’ll be breaking on the inside. I’ll break for all we were, all we weren’t, and all you’ve probably forgotten, that I can’t seem to.” — Kirsten Corley
50. “You treated his efforts as a brother willing to protect his sister, his sweetness as a token of kindness, his aggressiveness as a playful taunt. Never has it ever dawned you that he likes you—not in a million years. You treated him as your wingman, your close friend and your confidant—to you he is a friend and nothing more.” — Daphne Sze
Learning lessons from the friend zone
Sometimes we must be in the right place at the right time for specific experiences to align or manifest, especially with relationships.
This is where being in the friend zone can have its perks.
Let’s say you meet someone, but it’s just not the right time for you two to align.
In that case, the safest thing to do is not push things.
This is an important lesson to learn.
We must be okay with the idea that not everyone is romantically interested in us.
When we know not to take disappointment or rejection personally, we actually afford ourselves more time by not wasting energy on unavailable people while reinforcing that our value is not determined by someone else.
The friend zone also gives us a clear perception of ourselves by allowing us to take a realistic stock of what values we bring to the table.
If you found this article helpful, please share it on social media.