If you’re feeling stuck and frustrated, these quotes about change might be what you’re searching for to make the leap forward and change something for good.
1. “True life is lived when tiny changes occur.”― Leo Tolstoy
2. “Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.”― Rumi
3. “One day spent with someone you love can change everything.”― Mitch Albom, For One More Day
4. The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking. ― Albert Einstein
5. Your success in life isn’t based on your ability to simply change. It is based on your ability to change faster than your competition, customers, and business.― Mark Sanborn
6. “We are products of our past, but we don’t have to be prisoners of it.”― Rick Warren, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here for?
7. “Let him who would move the world first move himself.”― Socrates (see other inspirational Socrates quotes)
8. “But you’re so busy changing the world. Just one smile can change all of mine”― Jack Johnson
9. “You can’t stop the future
You can’t rewind the past
The only way to learn the secret
…is to press play.”
― Jay Asher, Thirteen Reasons Why
Also read these inspirational reality quotes aimed at helping you live your best life.
Allow these best quotes about life and change to be what you needed to inspire you to change yourself and your situation for the better.
We change for many reasons, because we need to change, because we want to change, and because it is the right thing to do. What gives us the courage to have the strength and courage to make real and lasting change?
To help make your life better, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and insightful change quotes, change sayings, and change proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Don’t forget to also check out our collection of inspirational butterfly quotes to help spark your own metamorphosis.
Change Quotes for Life, Love and the Art of Letting Go
10. Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.― Margaret Mead
11. Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.― Arnold Bennett
12. “Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.”― Lao Tzu
13. “Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.”― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
Change Quotes About Life
14. “No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side. Or you don’t.”― Stephen King, The Stand
15. If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.― Maya Angelou
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of attitude quotes that will set you up for success.
16. “Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.”― William Jennings Bryan
17. “Vulnerability is the birthplace of innovation, creativity and change.”― Brené Brown
18. “Sure, everything is ending,” Jules said, “but not yet.”― Jennifer Egan, A Visit from the Goon Squad
19. “Nothing is as painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change.”― Mary Shelley, Frankenstein
Quotes About Change In the World
20. Be the change that you wish to see in the world.― Mahatma Gandhi
21. Change is inevitable. Change is constant.― Benjamin Disraeli
22. “Love can change a person the way a parent can change a baby- awkwardly, and often with a great deal of mess.”― Lemony Snicket, Horseradish
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of baby quotes that new parents can relate to.
23. Just Because…..“Fashion changes, but style endures.”― Coco Chanel
24. “If you love deeply, you’re going to get hurt badly. But it’s still worth it.”― C.S. Lewis
25. I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.― Mother Teresa
26. “Believe something and the Universe is on its way to being changed. Because you’ve changed, by believing. Once you’ve changed, other things start to follow. Isn’t that the way it works?”― Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard
27. “Desperation is the raw material of drastic change. Only those who can leave behind everything they have ever believed in can hope to escape. ”― William S. Burroughs
28. “If you want to change attitudes, start with a change in behavior.”― Katharine Hepburn
29. “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”― Nelson Mandela
Quotes About Change and choices
30. Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.― John Kenneth Galbraith
31. When you’re finished changing, you’re finished.― Benjamin Franklin
32. “Change will not come if we wait for some other person, or if we wait for some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.”― Barack Obama
33. “I wanted to change the world. But I have found that the only thing one can be sure of changing is oneself.”― Aldous Huxley, Point Counter Point
34. “Things changed, people changed, and the world went rolling along right outside the window.”― Nicholas Sparks, Message in a Bottle
35. The first step toward change is awareness. The second step is acceptance. – Nathaniel Branden
36. “Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change.”― Wayne W. Dyer
37. “The beautiful journey of today can only begin when we learn to let go of yesterday.”― Steve Maraboli, Unapologetically You: Reflections on Life and the Human Experience
38. “Change not only was inevitable, but usually brought its own rewards.”― Nicholas Sparks, The Last Song
39. “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”― Margaret Mead
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Margaret Mead quotes challenging societal stereotypes.
Quotes About Change in Politics and Business
40. Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future. -John F. Kennedy
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of life changing quotes about love, life and death.
41. The price of doing the same old thing is far higher than the price of change.― Bill Clinton
42. “Change will not come if we wait for some other person, or if we wait for some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.”― Barack Obama
43. “No matter who you are, no matter what you did, no matter where you’ve come from, you can always change, become a better version of yourself.”― Madonna
44. “I realized how truly hard it was, really, to see someone you love change right before your eyes. Not only is it scary, it throws your balance off as well.”― Sarah Dessen, The Truth About Forever
45. Change your thoughts and you change your world. –Norman Vincent Peale
46. “Some changes look negative on the surface but you will soon realize that space is being created in your life for something new to emerge.”― Eckhart Tolle
47. “Anger, resentment and jealousy doesn’t change the heart of others– it only changes yours.”― Shannon L. Alder, 300 Questions to Ask Your Parents Before It’s Too Late
48. “To change one’s life:
- Start immediately.
- Do it flamboyantly.
- No exceptions.”
― William James
49. “Grief does not change you, Hazel. It reveals you.”― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars (see more The Fault in Our Stars quotes)
Quotes About Change and letting go
50. People can cry much easier than they can change.― James Baldwin
51. The world hates change, yet it is the only thing that has brought progress.― Charles Kettering
52. “They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.”― Andy Warhol, The Philosophy of Andy Warhol
53. “You cannot change what you are, only what you do.”― Philip Pullman, The Golden Compass
54. “Every woman that finally figured out her worth, has picked up her suitcases of pride and boarded a flight to freedom, which landed in the valley of change.”― Shannon L. Alder
55. People don’t resist change. They resist being changed.― Peter Senge
56. “I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.”― Mother Teresa
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of inspiring Mother Teresa quotes on kindness, love, and charity.
57. “If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door.”― Milton Berle
58. “Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labeled “This could change your life.”― Helen Exley
59. “Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.”― Leo Tolstoy
Quotes About Change In Life
60. Change before you have to.― Jack Welch
61. If you don’t like change, you will like irrelevance even less.― General Eric Shinseki
62. “Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself; I am large — I contain multitudes.”― Walt Whitman
63. “Growing up happens when you start having things you look back on and wish you could change ― Clary Fray”― Cassandra Clare, City of Ashes
64. “The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.”― Alan W. Watts
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of dance quotes to help you find the perfect words about movement.
65. You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.― R. Buckminster Fuller
66. “We are taught you must blame your father, your sisters, your brothers, the school, the teachers – but never blame yourself. It’s never your fault. But it’s always your fault, because if you wanted to change you’re the one who has got to change.”― Katharine Hepburn, Me: Stories of My Life
67. “Don’t confuse poor decision-making with destiny. Own your mistakes. It’s ok; we all make them. Learn from them so they can empower you!”― Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free
68. “A bend in the road is not the end of the road…Unless you fail to make the turn.”― Helen Keller
69. “Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn’t stop for anybody.”― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Change quotes about letting go
70. He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery.― Harold Wilson
71. Change means that what was before wasn’t perfect. People want things to be better. -Esther Dyson
72. “The snake which cannot cast its skin has to die. As well the minds which are prevented from changing their opinions; they cease to be mind.”― Friedrich Nietzsche
73. “Change, like healing, takes time.”― Veronica Roth, Allegiant
74. “If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write.”― Martin Luther
75. Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better. -Sydney J. Harris
76. “And that is how change happens. One gesture. One person. One moment at a time.”― Libba Bray, The Sweet Far Thing
77. “When people are ready to, they change. They never do it before then, and sometimes they die before they get around to it. You can’t make them change if they don’t want to, just like when they do want to, you can’t stop them.”― Andy Warhol, Andy Warhol in His Own Words
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Andy Warhol quotes that will inspire you to look at the world differently today.
78. “I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: “If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?” And whenever the answer has been “No” for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.”― Steve Jobs
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of mirror quotes that will change your perception.
79. “Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”― Rob Siltanen
Change quotes about life
80. I cannot say whether things will get better if we change; what I can say is they must change if they are to get better.― Georg C. Lichtenberg
81. Resistance at all cost is the most senseless act there is.― Friedrich Durrenmatt
82. “I have accepted fear as part of life – specifically the fear of change… I have gone ahead despite the pounding in the heart that says: turn back….”― Erica Jong
83. “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”― R. Buckminster Fuller
84. “We are the change we have been waiting for.”― Barack Obama
85. It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory.― W. Edwards Deming
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of survival quotes to motivate you to keep going.
86. “Those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.”― George Bernard Shaw
87. “I find the best way to love someone is not to change them, but instead, help them reveal the greatest version of themselves.”― Steve Maraboli, Unapologetically You: Reflections on Life and the Human Experience
88. “Stepping onto a brand-new path is difficult, but not more difficult than remaining in a situation, which is not nurturing to the whole woman.”― Maya Angelou
89. And just for fun… “Change is inevitable–except from a vending machine.”― Robert C. Gallagher
Change quotes about people
90. When people shake their heads because we are living in a restless age, ask them how they would like to life in a stationary one, and do without change.― George Bernard Shaw
91. If we don’t change, we don’t grow. If we don’t grow, we aren’t really living.― Gail Sheehy
92. “The present changes the past. Looking back you do not find what you left behind.”― Kiran Desai, The Inheritance of Loss
93. “Time takes it all, whether you want it to or not.”― Stephen King, The Green Mile
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Stephen King quotes to give you a feel for some of his greatest works.
94. “To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.”― Winston S. Churchill
95. There is nothing wrong with change, if it is in the right direction.― Winston Churchill
96. “One child, one teacher, one book, one pen can change the world.”― Malala Yousafzai
97. “Forget yesterday – it has already forgotten you. Don’t sweat tomorrow – you haven’t even met. Instead, open your eyes and your heart to a truly precious gift – today.”― Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free
98. “We are not trapped or locked up in these bones. No, no. We are free to change. And love changes us. And if we can love one another, we can break open the sky.”― Walter Mosley, Blue Light
99. To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.― Winston Churchill
100. Those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.―George Bernard Shaw
Famous quotes about change
101. “There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world.” ― Orson Scott Card, Ender’s Game
102. “You really can change the world if you care enough.” ― Marian Wright Edelman
103. “If you don’t change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news?” ― William Somerset Maugham
104. “It is hard to believe that something that seems so permanent was once so different. Change. I guess that really is one thing you can count on…” ― Ellen Hopkins, Impulse
105. “You can’t start the change unless dare to be different.” ― Toba Beta
106. “…things happen when you least expect them. Things that can change your whole life.” ― Lesley Kagen
107. “Change happens when the pain of staying the same is greater than the pain of change.” ― Tony Robbins
108. “Change is like that: you are no longer where you were; you are not yet where you will get; you are nowhere exactly.” ― Lionel Shriver
109. “Growth is painful. Change is painful. But nothing is as painful as staying stuck somewhere you don’t belong.” ― Mandy Hale
110. “It’s brainless to assume that making changes to your window’s view will give a new perspective” ― Death Cab for Cutie
Inspirational quotes about change in life
111. “There is no greater force for change than people inspired to live a better life.” ― Steve Maraboli
If you’re enjoying this collection of quotes, then you’ll love our collection of short inspirational quotes that will help you remain positive and optimistic.
112. “Change happens very slow and very sudden.” ― Dorothy Bryant
113. “If we can’t alter the tide of events, at least we can be nearby with towels to mop up.” ― Peter David, Q-In-Law
114. “You must be willing to give up what you are, to become what you want to be.” ― Orrin Woodward
115. “What you have become is the price you paid to get what you used to want.” ― Mignon McLaughlin
116. “Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change.” ― Michael Michalko
117. “Sometimes, being true to yourself means changing your mind. Self changes, and you follow.” ― Vera Nazarian
118. “It is not until you change your identity to match your life blueprint that you will understand why everything in the past never worked.” ― Shannon L. Alder
119. “To shift your life in a desired direction, you must powerfully shift your subconscious.” ― Kevin Michel
120. “If you want truly to understand something, try to change it.” ― Kurt Lewin
121. “Sometimes, things need to change, because there just isn’t any way for them to stay the same.” ― Jay Crownover, Jet
Wise quotes about change in life
122. “Keep in mind that neither success nor failure is ever final.” – Roger W. Babson
123. “The most successful people are those who are good at plan B.” – James Yorke
124. “Entrepreneurship is about creating change, not just companies.” – Mark Zuckerberg (see more quotes by Mark Zuckerberg)
125. “To succeed in this world, you have to change all the time.” – Sam Walton
126. “Innovation is the ability to see change as an opportunity – not a threat.” – Steve Jobs
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of innovation quotes that will inspire you to find new successes by trying new things.
127. “Maturity is when you stop complaining and making excuses, and start making changes.” – Roy T. Bennett
128. “Rather than wishing for change, you first must be prepared to change.” – Catherine Pulsifer
129. “Some people don’t like change, but you need to embrace change if the alternative is disaster.” – Elon Musk
130. “We are either progressing or retrograding all the while. There is no such thing as remaining stationary in this life.” – James Freeman Clarke
131. “Just for the record darling, not all positive change feels positive in the beginning.” – S.C. Lourie
132. “Growth is the only evidence of life.” – John Henry Newman
133. “There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” – Anais Nin
134. “You change the world by being yourself.” – Yoko Ono
135. “Let your smile change the world but never let the world change your smile.” – Unknown
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of smile quotes to help keep a smile on your face.
136. “You can’t change what’s going on around you until you start changing what’s going on within you.” – Unknown
Quotes about change to improve your life
137. “The secret of change is to focus all of your energy not on fighting the old, but on building the new.” – Socrates
138. “To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly.” —Henri Bergson
139. “The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings.” —Kakuzō Okakura
140. “People who wait for changes to occur on the outside before they commit to making changes on the inside will never make any changes at all.” – Unknown
141. “Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change.” —Jim Rohn
142. “It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.” – Charles Darwin
143. “All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy, for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter into another.” —Anatole France
144. “The only way that we can change is if we learn.” – C. JoyBell C.
145. “When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.” —Victor Frankl
146. “Don’t just change, transform.” – Roy T. Bennett
Quotes about change to elevate your mind
147. “Love change, fear staying the same.” – Maxime Lagacé
148. “The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.” – William Arthur Ward
149. “People wish to be settled; only as far as they are unsettled is there any hope for them.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
150. “Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.” – Dalai Lama
151. “In any given moment we have two options: to step forward into growth or step back into safety.” – Abraham Maslow
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of safety quotes about the power of paying attention.
152. “They must often change, who would be constant in happiness or wisdom.” – Confucius
153. “If I am an advocate for anything, it is to move. As far as you can, as much as you can. Across the ocean, or simply across the river.” – Anthony Bourdain
154. “Change is the law of life and those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.” – John F. Kennedy
155. “When the winds of change blow, some people build walls and others build windmills.” – Chinese proverb
156. “Change your thinking, change your life.” – Ernest Holmes
More sayings and quotes about change
155. “Times and conditions change so rapidly that we must keep our aim constantly focused on the future.” – Walt Disney
156. “You cannot change anyone, but you can be the reason someone changes.”― Roy T. Bennett
157. “Play to your strengths. If you aren’t great at something, do more of what you’re great at.” – Jason Lemkin
158. “Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.”― William James
159. “There is nothing permanent except change.” – Heraclitus
160. “Change is the end result of all true learning.”― Leo Buscaglia
161. “Just take any step, whether small or large. And then another and repeat day after day. It may take months, maybe years, but the path to success will become clear” – Aaron Ross
162. “Changing is what people do when they have no options left.”― Holly Black
163. “Things don’t have to change the world to be important” – Steve Jobs
164. “The changes we dread most may contain our salvation.”― Barbara Kingsolver
165. “Nothing endures but change.”― Heraclitus
Did you enjoy these change quotes
Now that you are armed with all sorts of powerful advice and motivation to change, go out and ace it.
Be who you want to be, don’t question yourself or your abilities, and most of all, always believe in yourself and that you can be whomever you want to be.
Which of these change is good quotes was your favorite? What other change quote would you add to the list? Let us know in the comment section below. Also, don’t forget to share and inspire your friends and followers.
October 15, 2020 6:00 AM EST