These How I Met Your Mother quotes are funny and come from each of the characters, giving you a picture of just what that life in NY might have looked like!
How I Met Your Mother was a popular American comedy sitcom that ran from 2005-2014.
The series had a unique framing model, which involved Bob Saget doing voice-over narration for the character of Ted Mosby, who was telling his adolescent children the story of how he met their mother.
The role of Ted Mosby was played by Josh Radnor and was based on the life of Carter Bays.
Carter and Craig Thomas (the inspiration for Marshall Eriksen) came up with the idea for the show because they wanted to write about their life in NY.
The pair worked together as writers on The Late Show with David Letterman and apparently did a lot of “stupid stuff” with their friends.
The show kept audiences on the edge of their couches while we wondered if Robin would end up in a relationship with either Ted or Barney.
The show does tell viewers early on that Robin is, in fact, “not the mother,” but that doesn’t stop them from teasing us with storylines based on a potential romance!
Marshall and Lily are an adorable couple, and Lily is actually based on Craig Thomas’ wife!
Don’t miss these How I Met Your Mother quotes from Marshall and Lily.
Another thing that has been teased for a long time was the series spin-off show How I Met Your Dad.
Find out why HIMYM was canceled and why the spin-off didn’t air back in 2014 after reading through these How I Met Your Mother quotes.
Don’t forget to also check out these ‘Friends’ quotes from the hit 90’s sitcom.
Also, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily wisdom.
See the rest of our quote database for even more inspirational ideas and thoughts.
How I Met Your Mother quotes that will make you laugh
1. “That cake. Best cake I ever had. Seriously, my stomach was like, ‘Hey bro, I don’t know what you’re eating cause I don’t have any eyes but it’s basically awesome, so keep sending it down Gullet Alley.’” — Marshall Eriksen
2. “I finally found the one, Marshall. Her name is Bacon.” — Ted Mosby
3. “Your package has always been big enough. You may not realize this, Marshall Eriksen, but you’ve got a huge package.” — Lily Aldrin
4. “Look, I know the odds are the love of my life isn’t going to magically walk through that door in a pumpkin costume at 2:43 in the morning. But it just seems as nice a spot as any to just, you know, sit and wait.” — Ted Mosby
5. “I’ve been dreaming of that since I was five. Well, that and my own operational Death Star.” — Barney Stinson
6. “The Bro Code has been around for centuries. Nay… whatever’s more than centuries.” — Barney Stinson
7. “Well, that answers all the questions I didn’t ask.” — Robin Scherbatsky
8. “That’s right, I’m a ghost. I died fifteen years ago, kind of like that pickup line.” — Robin Scherbatsky
9. “I just want to say from the bottom of my heart… I’m going to kill you.” — Robin Scherbatsky
10. “Oprah wasn’t built in a day.” — Lily Aldrin
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of Tina Belcher quotes from the eldest child on Bob’s Burgers.
Life lessons and inspiration from these How I Met Your Mother quotes
11. “It’s just, eventually, we’re all gonna move on. It’s called growing up.” — Lily Aldrin
12. “The future is scary, but you can’t just run back to the past because it’s familiar. Yes, it’s tempting, but it’s a mistake.” — Robin Scherbatsky
13. “Because sometimes even if you know how something’s gonna end, that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the ride.” — Ted Mosby
14. “That’s life, you know. We never end up where you thought you wanted to be.” — Marshall Eriksen
15. “Revenge fantasies never work out the way you want.” — Marshall Eriksen
16. “So really the biggest mistake would be not to make that mistake, because then you’ll go your whole life not knowing if something was a mistake or not.” — Lily Aldrin
17. “The great moments of your life won’t necessarily be the things you do, they’ll also be the things that happen to you.” — Ted Mosby
18. “You can ask the universe for signs all you want, but ultimately we’ll only see what we want to see… when we’re ready to see it.” — Ted Mosby
19. “You can’t just skip ahead to where you think your life should be.” — Lily Aldrin
20. “Whatever you do in this life, it’s not legendary, unless your friends are there to see it.” — Barney Stinson
How I Met Your Mother quotes about love, breakups, and everything in between
21. “Everyone has an opinion on how long it takes to recover from a breakup.” — Ted Mosby
22. “Oh my god, look at you cowards. So afraid of any kind of change. So terrified of anything new. So, so desperate to cling to anything comfortable and familiar.” — Robin Scherbatsky
23. “The three-day rule is a childish, manipulative mind game. But yeah, you wait three days.” — Lily Aldrin
24. “I’ve never asked Lily to do anything ‘no questions asked’ because I never wanted to. She’s the love of my life. I never keep anything from her.” — Marshall Eriksen
25. “I don’t wanna get married right now, maybe ever, and if we got together, I’d feel like I’d either have to marry you or break your heart, and I just couldn’t do either of those things. Just like you can’t turn off the way you feel.” — Robin Scherbatsky
Which of these How I Met Your Mother quotes is your favorite?
So, why was How I Met Your Mother canceled?
It basically came down to the actors moving on and having other projects.
The show did run for 9 seasons, which is no small feat!
The spin-off was supposed to air following the show’s end, but creative differences between the writers and CBS crept up.
Ultimately, CBS scrapped the project.
However, if you are a fan of the show, you can watch How I Met Your Father (Hulu’s reworked version of How I Met Your Dad).
The new show will star Hillary Duff, who plays Sophie.
Much like the original, Sophie is recounting the story of how she met her son’s father.
This time the characters are navigating life in the digital age of dating.
Isaac Aptaker and Elizabeth Berger (This Is Us alumni) are set as showrunners on HIMYF and exec producers.
They will join Bays and Thomas, along with the original series director Pam Fryman who will resume her role.
Are you excited about the new show?
Unfortunately, it will be a while until we even see a trailer, so in the meantime, you might want to rewatch How I Met Your Mother!
Did you enjoy reading these How I Met Your Mother quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.