50 Ricky Gervais Quotes on Life and Humor
April 9, 2023 5:00 AM EST
These Ricky Gervais quotes about jokes will make you laugh until you cry.
Ricky Gervais is an English comedian, actor, writer, and producer best known for his role in creating the original British television series, The Office.
This collection of Ricky Gervais’ best lines and most insightful quotes will brighten your day.
Whether you’re looking for advice or for laughs, you’ll love these quotes.
These hilarious Ricky Gervais quotes will give you a fresh perspective on politics, religion, animal rights, and the many other varied subjects that inspire him.
You may also enjoy our article on:
A 2019 study by the University of Colorado Boulder found that laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural painkillers, and promotes social bonding.
This statistic supports Gervais’ quote, “Laughter is the greatest thing in the world,” and highlights the physical and social benefits of humor.
What are the best jokes about?
The Ricky Gervais quotes below about dogs, humanity, and the afterlife prove that you can joke about anything.
This standup comic is widely regarded as one of the funniest people in the world.
If you consider yourself to be a Ricky Gervais fan, you’ll definitely want to read this collection of his best lines and quotes.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
Browse our entire collection of inspirational quotes for more motivating ideas and concepts.
Ricky Gervais quotes on life and humor
According to a 2021 survey by the American Psychological Association, 80% of adults reported that the pandemic has caused significant stress in their lives.
This statistic supports Gervais’ quote, “I think people are too scared to say how they feel,” and highlights the importance of being open and honest about mental health struggles.
1. “Famous people are above the law.” ― Ricky Gervais
You will also enjoy our article on mirror quotes.
2. “Mondays are fine. It’s your life that sucks.” ― Ricky Gervais
You will also enjoy our article on wolf quotes sayings and proverbs.
3. “You won’t burn in hell. But be nice anyway.” ― Ricky Gervais
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about having fun.
4. “I think everyone has the ability to be loved.” ― Ricky Gervais
You will also enjoy our article on funny wine quotes.
5. “You do your own thing and you see if you survive.” ― Ricky Gervais
You will also enjoy our article on kims convenience quotes.
6. “You can laugh at anything. It depends on the joke.” ― Ricky Gervais
You will also enjoy our article on best life advice i have ever received.
7. “Unlike religious people, I look at all religions equally.” ― Ricky Gervais
You will also enjoy our article on After Life quotes.
8. “Remember, if you don’t sin, then Jesus died for nothing.” ― Ricky Gervais
You will also enjoy our article on cherry quotes.
9. “Just because you’re offended, doesn’t mean you’re right.” ― Ricky Gervais
You will also enjoy our article on positivity quotes.
10. “I am not a wolf in sheep’s clothing, I’m a wolf in wolf’s clothing.” ― Ricky Gervais
You will also enjoy our article on funny inspirational quotes.
Ricky Gervais quotes to brighten your day
A 2020 study by the University of Warwick found that employees who were happy were 12% more productive than those who were not.
This statistic supports Gervais’ quote, “The best advice I’ve ever received is, ‘No one else knows what they’re doing either,'” and highlights the importance of creating a positive and supportive work environment.
11. “Beliefs do not change facts. Facts, if one is rational, should change beliefs.” ― Ricky Gervais
You will also enjoy our article on vegan quotes.
12. “Your critics want you to be as unhappy, unfulfilled, and unimportant as they are. Let your happiness eat them up from inside.” ― Ricky Gervais
You will also enjoy our article on instagram bio quotes.
13. “It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.” ― Ricky Gervais
14. “Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others. The same applies when you are stupid.” ― Ricky Gervais
15. “Telling someone with depression to pull themselves together is about as useful as telling someone with cancer to just stop having cancer.” ― Ricky Gervais
16. “That’s the other thing I learned that day, that the truth, however shocking or uncomfortable, in the end, leads to liberation and dignity.” ― Ricky Gervais
17. “If you can’t joke about the most horrendous things in the world, what’s the point of jokes? What’s the point in having humor? Humor is to get us over terrible things.” ― Ricky Gervais
18. “Honor is a gift a man gives himself. You can be as good as anyone that ever lived. If you can read, you can learn everything that anyone ever learned. But you’ve got to want it.” ― Ricky Gervais
19. “I think doing something creative is the most important thing to me, and I think it’s probably just good for the soul for anyone, whatever it is. You don’t have to be a film director – you can do gardening or something – but I think everyone needs to create something.” ― Ricky Gervais
20. “Everything I do is somehow rooted in humanity. It’s always about people; it’s always about ego. It’s always about desperation. It’s quite existential. You know, ‘Am I leading a good life?’ That might be because I’m an atheist, and I think this is all we’ve got, so you better be nice. And have fun.” ― Ricky Gervais
You will also enjoy our article on Krishna quotes.
Ricky Gervais quotes to put a smile on your face
A study conducted by the University of California, San Diego found that laughter can have a positive impact on physical and mental health, including reducing stress, boosting the immune system, and increasing pain tolerance.
This suggests that sharing and reading humorous quotes like those from Ricky Gervais could have a positive impact on the well-being of readers.
21. “The best advice I’ve ever received is, ‘No one else knows what they’re doing either.’” ― Ricky Gervais
22. “A Christian telling an atheist they’re going to hell is as scary as a child telling an adult they’re not getting any presents from Santa.” ― Ricky Gervais
23. “With Netflix, I browse; I watch documentaries about things I’d never dream of, but I think, ’I might as well.’” ― Ricky Gervais
24. “It’s a privilege to be in such a great category of people and… I don’t believe in God, so I’d like to thank dogs. Dogs have given me everything.” ― Ricky Gervais
25. “Life is just a series of peaks and troughs. And you don’t know whether you’re in a trough until you’re climbing out, or on a peak until you’re coming down. And that’s it you know, you never know what’s round the corner. But it’s all good.” ― Ricky Gervais
26. “The existence of God is not subjective. He either exists or he doesn’t. It’s not a matter of opinion. You can have your own opinions. But you can’t have your own facts.” ― Ricky Gervais
27. “I think you can make fun of anything except things people can’t help. They can’t help their race or their sex or their age, so you ridicule their pretension or their ego instead. You can ridicule ideas – ideas don’t have feelings. You can ridicule an idea that someone holds without hurting them.” ― Ricky Gervais
28. “The world is bigger than all the parts. That’s the important thing, and one thing can throw everything off-kilter. And you must never let yourself off. You’ll let yourself off by mistake. So you shouldn’t do it consciously. You have to be above it all and just be very disciplined with it. Just be very disciplined with it.” ― Ricky Gervais
29. “Why buy a book when you can join a library?” ― Ricky Gervais
30. “I could always take a joke. I could always be the butt of the joke. I could always hand it out. That was just who I was.” ― Ricky Gervais
You will also enjoy our article on sarcastic quotes.
Ricky Gervais quotes that will make you think
According to a survey conducted by YouGov, Ricky Gervais is one of the most quoted living people, with many of his humorous quotes shared on social media and other online forums.
This indicates that there is already a built-in audience for Gervais’ wit and humor, making them a potentially popular topic for articles and social media posts.
31. “There’s no difference between fame and infamy now. There’s a new school of professional famous people that don’t do anything. They don’t create anything.” ― Ricky Gervais
32. “Same-sex marriage isn’t a gay privilege, it’s equal rights. Privilege would be something like gay people not paying taxes. Like churches don’t.” ― Ricky Gervais
33. “Where there’s a will – there’s a relative!” ― Ricky Gervais
34. “Comedy and drama are different sides of the same coin. And the thing about comedy and drama is about likability. It’s about character first. It’s about the story. And for me, it’s about empathy, and I think the more real someone is, the further you can go either way with them.” – Ricky Gervais
35. “The grass isn’t always greener on the other side!” ― Ricky Gervais
36. “People have let me down in the past. I’ve loved something, and it’s become a disgrace. I’d rather start again.” ― Ricky Gervais
37. “Dear Religion, This week I safely dropped a man from space while you shot a child in the head for wanting to go to school. Yours, Science.” ― Ricky Gervais
38. “I think sometimes you get given a good pile of goodwill, and it’s whether you use it up in the first six months or spread it out over a career.” ― Ricky Gervais
39. “If there is a God, why did he make me an atheist?” ― Ricky Gervais
40. “We only do what we think is good and what we’re happy with. I’d rather have something that’s completely mine fail than something succeed that I’m not proud of.” ― Ricky Gervais
More Ricky Gervais quotes
A study conducted by the University of Maryland found that humor can be an effective way to increase engagement and interest in educational materials.
This suggests that incorporating humorous quotes from Ricky Gervais into articles or other educational materials could make them more engaging and memorable for readers.
41. “I never think of myself as a celebrity – or even an actor, actually. I think of myself as a writer-director.” ― Ricky Gervais
42. “Next time someone tells me they believe in God, I’ll say ‘Oh which one? Zeus? Hades? Jupiter? Mars? Odin? Thor? Krishna? Vishnu? Ra?…’ If they say ‘Just God. I only believe in the one God,’ I’ll point out that they are nearly as atheistic as me. I don’t believe in 2,870 gods, and they don’t believe in 2,869.” ― Ricky Gervais
43. “Stupidity without malice isn’t horrible; some people can’t help it.” ― Ricky Gervais
44. “I think it’s important to hold a mirror up to society and yourself.” ― Ricky Gervais
45. “Science is constantly proved all the time. If we take something like any fiction, any holy book, and destroyed it, in a thousand years’ time, that wouldn’t come back just as it was. Whereas if we took every science book and every fact and destroyed them all, in a thousand years they’d all be back because all the same tests would be the same result.” ― Ricky Gervais
46. “I think being nice is more important than being clever.” ― Ricky Gervais
47. “When I was about to be famous, I feared it on a few levels. I feared it because I didn’t want people to lump me in with those people who’d do anything to be famous. I didn’t like the word ‘celebrity.’ I feared intrusion, you know? Make me famous, and suddenly you can go through my trash bins.” ― Ricky Gervais
48. “That’s the buzz for me, the creative process. An idea is never as good as when it’s in your head. And then it’s just how little you ruin it.” ― Ricky Gervais
49. “People confuse the subject of the joke with the target of the joke, and they’re very rarely the same.” ― Ricky Gervais
50. “Enjoy life. Have fun. Be kind. Have worth. Have friends. Be honest. Laugh. Die with dignity. Make the most of it. It’s all we’ve got.” ― Ricky Gervais
What are your favorite Ricky Gervais quotes about dogs, laughter, and life?
Ricky Gervais is an extremely passionate person who uses his comedy to make a point.
Whether you’re interested in atheism, politics, or jokes, these Ricky Gervais quotes on life will really make you think.
Whenever you’re in a bad mood and want to be cheered up, you should listen to his standup or read this collection of Ricky Gervais’ best lines.
Laughter is the best medicine for most things in life.
As a talented writer and comedian, Ricky Gervais has won five British Comedy Awards, two Emmy Awards, a Golden Globe Award, and many other accolades.
His comedy is influential and beloved around the world.
Let his words put a smile on your face.
What are your favorite Ricky Gervais quotes and sayings about dogs, politics, and religion?
Let us know in the comment section below.