These JP Morgan quotes offer insights into what it takes to be successful in the business world.
You probably recognize the name JP Morgan from the investment banking company JP Morgan Chase.
John Pierpont Morgan was a smart person and a savvy businessman.
He was born into a successful family and started his career as an accountant.
But he had a keen eye for business.
He is most famously known for coming into companies and reorganizing them to be more stable and profitable.
He was also behind some of the consolidations that led to the formation of U.S. Steel and General Electric.
Morgan was one of the original players in American capitalism.
And there’s no denying that he knew what it took to be successful in the business world as you’ll see from these quotes.
Don’t forget to also check out these business motivational quotes about massive success.
Famous JP Morgan quotes
1. “You can’t unscramble eggs.” – JP Morgan
2. “Go as far as you can see; when you get there you’ll be able to see farther.” – JP Morgan
3. “You can’t pick cherries with your back to the tree.” – JP Morgan
4. “When you expect things to happen – strangely enough – they do happen.” – JP Morgan
5. “I feel bound in honor when I reorganize a property and am morally responsible for its management, to protect it – and I generally do protect it.” – JP Morgan
6. “Nothing so undermines your financial judgment as the sight of your neighbor getting rich.” – JP Morgan
7. “A man generally has two reasons for doing a thing. One that sounds good, and a real one.” – JP Morgan
8. “When a man abuses his power, he loses it.” – JP Morgan
9. “No price is too great for a work of unquestioned beauty and known authenticity.” – JP Morgan
10. “No problem can be solved until it is reduced to some simple form. The changing of a vague difficulty into a specific, concrete form is a very essential element in thinking.” – JP Morgan
11. “You have no right to own a yacht if you ask that question.” – JP Morgan
12. “The first thing [in credit] is character… before money or anything else. Money cannot buy it.” – JP Morgan
13. “Let every lion do his duty.” – JP Morgan
14. “Never sell a bear in the United States.” – JP Morgan
15. “Any man who is bearish on the United States will go broke.” – JP Morgan
16. “Anyone can be a millionaire, but to become a billionaire you need an astrologer.” – JP Morgan
17. “Of all forms of tyranny the least attractive and the most vulgar is the tyranny of mere wealth, the tyranny of plutocracy.” – JP Morgan
JP Morgan quotes on life and success
18. ”The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are.” – JP Morgan
19. “I made a fortune getting out too soon.” – JP Morgan
20. “I do not remember in my whole life I ever willfully misrepresented anything to anybody at any time. I have never knowingly had a connection with a fraudulent scheme.” – JP Morgan
21. “A man I do not trust could not get money from me on all the bonds in Christendom. I think that is the fundamental basis of business.” – JP Morgan
22. “If you have to ask how much it costs, you can’t afford it.” – JP Morgan
23. “It was not really a question of price. It was a question of success.” – JP Morgan
24. “If you want time to pass quickly, just give a banker your note for 90 days.” – JP Morgan
25. “Remember, my son, that any man who is a bear on the future of this country will go broke.” – JP Morgan
26. “People without homes will not quarrel with their leaders. This is well known among our principle men now engaged in forming an imperialism of capitalism to govern the world. By dividing the people we can get them to expend their energies in fighting over questions of no importance to us except as teachers of the common herd.” – JP Morgan
27. “Well, I don’t know as I want a lawyer to tell me what I cannot do. I hire him to tell how to do what I want to do.” – JP Morgan
28. “When I have business on hand I think it is better to have it done quickly.” – JP Morgan
29. “Giving debt relief to people that really need it, that’s what foreclosure is.” – JP Morgan
JP Morgan quotes on character
30. “The wise man bridges the gap by laying out the path by means of which he can get from where he is to where he wants to go.” – JP Morgan
31. “Money equals business which equals power, all of which come from character and trust.” – JP Morgan
32. “A man always has two reasons for doing anything: a good reason and the real reason.” – JP Morgan
33. “Don’t talk to me about appealing to the public. I am done with the public, for the present anyway. The public reads the headlines and that is all. The story itself is fair and shows the facts. That would be all right if the public read the facts. But it does not. It reads the headline and listens to the demagogues and that’s the stuff public opinion is made of.” – JP Morgan
JP Morgan quotes on business
34. “Gold is money. Everything else is credit.” – JP Morgan
35. “My first guess is sometimes right. My second never is.” – JP Morgan
36. “I don’t want a lawyer who tells me what I can’t do. I hire a lawyer to tell me how I can do what I want to do!” – JP Morgan
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of insightful lawyer quotes about justice for all.
37. “Congress should know how to levy taxes, and if it doesn’t know how to collect them, then a man is a fool to pay the taxes.” – JP Morgan
38. “When asked what the stock market will do: It will fluctuate.” – JP Morgan
39. “Millionaires don’t use Astrology, billionaires do.” – JP Morgan
40. “If that’s all he can get, and he takes it, I should say it’s enough.” – JP Morgan
41. “When a shoe shiner takes an interest in stocks, he needs to leave the market immediately.” – JP Morgan
What did you learn from these JP Morgan quotes?
When many people think of the business world, it can seem very complicated.
And while there is a lot to learn and know about if you want to reach the heights of success that JP Morgan did, there is also somewhat of simplicity to it as you can see from the quotes above.
JP Morgan’s words don’t make things seem complicated.
It appears he learned well the basic principles and because of it, he knew what to expect from people in business.
If financial success is what you’re after, studying the likes of JP Morgan can help you see what he knew and how he used it in the business landscape.
So, what’s your biggest takeaway from these JP Morgan quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
January 6, 2021 7:00 AM EST