These Margaret Thatcher quotes highlight who she was and will inspire you to fight for what you believe in.
Not only was Margaret Thatcher Britain’s first female prime minister, but she was also the longest running prime minister since 1827.
Her strong will and firm stand in her political beliefs gave her the nickname, the Iron Lady.
What qualities do you think make a great leader?
During her time in office, Thatcher instigated some controversial policies.
She believed in free capitalism, cut social welfare, and privatized a few state-owned companies.
She also faced the Falklands War, cut trade union power, and initiated the unpopular poll tax.
While she served three terms in office, eventually, her strong conservative stance caused her popularity to stifle, and in 1990, she resigned from office.
Whatever your political opinion, there is no denying that Margaret Thatcher was a leader with a strong will.
Below you will find a collection of our favorite Margaret Thatcher quotes.
Don’t forget to also check out our collection of leadership quotes that will spark your fire.
Margaret Thatcher quotes about strong will
1. “If you lead a country like Britain, a strong country, a country which has taken a lead in world affairs in good times and in bad, a country that is always reliable, then you have to have a touch of iron about you.” –Margaret Thatcher
2. “If you set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time, and you would achieve nothing.” –Margaret Thatcher
3. “I’ve got a woman’s ability to stick to a job and get on with it when everyone else walks off and leaves it.”- Margaret Thatcher
4. “Any leader has to have a certain amount of steel in them, so I am not that put out being called the Iron Lady.”- Margaret Thatcher
5. “To wear your heart on your sleeve isn’t a very good plan; you should wear it inside, where it functions best.” – Margaret Thatcher
6. “There are still people in my party who believe in consensus politics. I regard them as Quislings, as traitors… I mean it.” –Margaret Thatcher
7. “I don’t mind how much my Ministers talk, so long as they do what I say.” –Margaret Thatcher
8. “If you want to cut your own throat, don’t come to me for a bandage.” – Margaret Thatcher
9. “I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.” –Margaret Thatcher
10. “I love argument, I love debate. I don’t expect anyone just to sit there and agree with me, that’s not their job.” –Margaret Thatcher
11. “Platitudes? Yes, there are platitudes. Platitudes are there because they are true.” –Margaret Thatcher
Margaret Thatcher quotes about leadership
12. “There is no such thing as society: there are individual men and women, and there are families.” – Margaret Thatcher
13. “People think that at the top there isn’t much room. They tend to think of it as an Everest. My message is that there is tons of room at the top.” –Margaret Thatcher
14. “Constitutions have to be written on hearts, not just paper.”-Margaret Thatcher
15. “It is always important in matters of high politics to know what you do not know. Those who think that they know, but are mistaken, and act upon their mistakes, are the most dangerous people to have in charge.” –Margaret Thatcher
16. “Any woman who understands the problems of running a home will be nearer to understanding the problems of running a country.” –Margaret Thatcher
17. “There is much to be said for trying to improve some disadvantaged people’s lot. There is nothing to be said for trying to create heaven on earth.” –Margaret Thatcher
18. “To me, consensus seems to be the process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values and policies. So it is something in which no one believes and to which no one objects.” –Margaret Thatcher
19. “You don’t tell deliberate lies, but sometimes you have to be evasive.” –Margaret Thatcher
20. “It pays to know the enemy – not least because at some time you may have the opportunity to turn him into a friend.” –Margaret Thatcher
21. “Do you know that one of the great problems of our age is that we are governed by people who care more about feelings than they do about thoughts and ideas.” –Margaret Thatcher
22. “My policies are based not on some economics theory, but on things I and millions like me were brought up with: an honest day’s work for an honest day’s pay; live within your means; put by a nest egg for a rainy day; pay your bills on time; support the police.” –Margaret Thatcher
23. “Every family should have the right to spend their money, after tax, as they wish, and not as the government dictates. Let us extend choice, extend the will to choose and the chance to choose.” –Margaret Thatcher
You might also like these political quotes that show all perspectives.
Margaret Thatcher quotes about discipline
24. “It’s passionately interesting for me that the things that I learned in a small town, in a very modest home, are just the things that I believe have won the election.”-Margaret Thatcher
25. “Look at a day when you are supremely satisfied at the end. It’s not a day when you lounge around doing nothing; it’s a day you’ve had everything to do and you’ve done it.” –Margaret Thatcher
What did you learn from these Margaret Thatcher quotes?
Margaret Thatcher was a wise and disciplined woman with strong will and determination when making decisions about running her country.
While not everyone may agree on the political decisions she made, there is no doubt that she had the qualities of a strong leader.
It is for this reason that Margaret Thatcher is widely considered one of the most famous politicians in British history.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these powerful Margaret Thatcher quotes?
What qualities do you think make a great leader?
Do you need more than the qualities that Thatcher exhibited?
Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.
August 10, 2022 5:00 AM EST