Alexander the Great Quotes to Inspire You to Do the Impossible
January 14, 2023 5:00 AM EST
These famous Alexander the Great quotes will encourage you to conquer your goals.
Alexander III of Macedon, better known as Alexander the Great, is a famed Macedonian king and world conqueror.
You may also enjoy our article on:
These inspirational quotes highlight his love of philosophy, power, and knowledge.
This legendary leader created one of the most expansive empires of the ancient world, spanning from Greece, to North Africa, and India and Asia.
These Alexander the Great quotes will inspire and encourage you to reach your goals.
Throughout the ages, Alexander the Great has been celebrated as a successful, undefeated military commander.
Read these wise words and thoughtful insights to boost your own ambitions.
You can accomplish your wildest dreams if you believe in yourself and put your plans into action.
This collection of Alexander the Great quotes will motivate you to conquer your fears and live your life to the fullest potential.
Also check out those Joan of Arc quotes about leadership, faith, and strong women.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quote category page has even more inspirational and educational quotes.
Alexander the Great quotes to help you believe in your true potential
1. “There is nothing impossible to him who will try.” – Alexander the Great
You will also enjoy our article on diogenes of sinope quotes.
2. “I am not afraid of an army of lions led by sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.” – Alexander the Great
You will also enjoy our article on warrior quotes.
3. “Remember, upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all.” – Alexander the Great
You will also enjoy our article on Spartan quotes.
4. “Whatever possession we gain by our sword cannot be sure or lasting, but the love gained by kindness and moderation is certain and durable.” – Alexander the Great
You will also enjoy our article on greek philosopher quotes.
5. “Through every generation of the human race there has been a constant war, a war with fear. Those who have the courage to conquer it are made free and those who are conquered by it are made to suffer until they have the courage to defeat it, or death takes them.” – Alexander the Great
You will also enjoy our article on seneca quotes.
6. “I am indebted to my father for living, but to my teacher for living well.” – Alexander the Great
You will also enjoy our article on winston churchill quotes.
7. “I had rather excel others in the knowledge of what is excellent, than in the extent of my power and dominion.” – Alexander the Great
You will also enjoy our article on thomas paine quotes.
8. “You shall, I question not, find a way to the top if you diligently seek for it; for nature hath placed nothing so high that is out of the reach of industry and valor.” – Alexander the Great
You will also enjoy our article on diversity unity quotes.
9. “For my own part, I would rather excel knowledge of the highest secrets of philosophy than in arms.” – Alexander the Great
You will also enjoy our article on epictetus quotes.
10. “I would rather live a short life of glory than a long one of obscurity.” – Alexander the Great
Alexander the Great quotes will inspire you to always pursue your ambitions
11. “Let us conduct ourselves so that all men wish to be our friends and all fear to be our enemies.” – Alexander the Great
You will also enjoy our article on victory quotes.
12. “Every light is not the sun.” – Alexander the Great
13. “There is something noble in hearing myself ill spoken of when I am doing well.” – Alexander the Great
You will also enjoy our article on inspirational quotes for all seasons of life.
14. “With the right attitude, self-imposed limitations vanish.” – Alexander the Great
You will also enjoy our article on gravity falls quotes.
15. “As for a limit to one’s labors, I, for one, do not recognize any for a high-minded man, except that the labors themselves should lead to noble accomplishments.” – Alexander the Great
You will also enjoy our article on motivational quotes of the day.
16. “I do not steal victory.” – Alexander the Great
17. “In the end, when it’s over, all that matters is what you’ve done.” – Alexander the Great
18. “How should a man be capable of grooming his own horse, or of furbishing his own spear and helmet, if he allows himself to become unaccustomed to tending even his own person, which is his most treasured belonging?” – Alexander the Great
19. “A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient.” – Alexander the Great
20. “Who does not desire such a victory by which we shall join places in our Kingdom, so far divided by nature, and for which we shall set up trophies in another conquered world?” – Alexander the Great
Also check out these Fyodor Dostoyevsky quotes that will inspire you to follow your dreams
Alexander the Great quotes that will encourage you to reach your goals
21. “Now that the wars are coming to an end, I wish you to prosper in peace. May all mortals from now on live like one people in concord and for mutual advancement. Consider the world as your country, with laws common to all and where the best will govern irrespective of tribe. I do not distinguish among men, as the narrow-minded do, both among Greeks and Barbarians. I am not interested in the descendance of the citizens or their racial origins. I classify them using one criterion: their virtue. For me every virtuous foreigner is a Greek and every evil Greek worse than a Barbarian. If differences ever develop between you never have recourse to arms, but solve them peacefully. If necessary, I should be your arbitrator.” – Alexander the Great
22. “When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never take back.” – Alexander the Great
23. “Now you fear punishment and beg for your lives, so I will let you free, if not for any other reason so that you can see the difference between a Greek king and a barbarian tyrant, so do not expect to suffer any harm from me. A king does not kill messengers.” – Alexander the Great
24. “My treasure lies in my friends.” – Alexander the Great
25. “Holy shadows of the dead, I am not to blame for your cruel and bitter fate, but the accursed rivalry which brought sister nations and brother people to fight one another. I do not feel happy for this victory of mine. On the contrary, I would be glad, brothers, if I had all of you standing here next to me, since we are united by the same language, the same blood and the same visions.” – Alexander the Great
26. “Each moment free from fear makes a man immortal.” – Alexander the Great
27. “Sex and sleep alone make me conscious that I am mortal.” – Alexander the Great
28. “For as a newborn babe cannot be nourished without the nurse’s milk, nor conducted to the approaches that lead to growth in life, so a city cannot thrive without fields and the fruits thereof pouring into its walls.” – Alexander the Great
29. “If I were not Alexander, I should wish to be Diogenes.” – Alexander the Great
30. “In faith and hope the world will disagree, but all mankind’s concern is charity.” – Alexander the Great
Alexander the Great quotes to help you conquer your fears
31. “Heaven cannot brook two suns, nor earth two masters.” – Alexander the Great
32. “I send you a kaffis of mustard seed, that you may taste and acknowledge the bitterness of my victory.” – Alexander the Great
33. “I want the road to be covered with my treasure so that everybody sees that material wealth acquired on earth, stays on earth.” – Alexander the Great
34. “How happy had it been for me had I been slain in the battle. It had been far more noble to have died the victim of the enemy than fall a sacrifice to the rage of my friends.” – Alexander the Great
35. “On their side more men are standing, on ours more will fight!” – Alexander the Great
36. “Are you still to learn that the end and perfection of our victories is to avoid the vices and infirmities of those whom we subdue?” – Alexander the Great
37. “O fortunate youth, to have found Homer as the herald of your glory!” – Alexander the Great
38. “My father will anticipate everything. He will leave you and me no chance to do a great and brilliant deed.” – Alexander the Great
39. “I foresee a great funeral contest over me.” – Alexander the Great
40. “Our enemies are Medes and Persians, men who for centuries have lived soft and luxurious lives; we of Macedon for generations past have been trained in the hard school of danger and war.” – Alexander the Great
More Alexander the Great quotes to inspire you
41. “How great are the dangers I face to win a good name in Athens.” – Alexander the Great
42. “I am dying from the treatment of too many physicians.” – Alexander the Great
43. “I want the best doctors to carry my coffin to demonstrate that, in the face of death, even the best doctors in the world have no power to heal.” – Alexander the Great
44. “To the strongest!” – Alexander the Great
45. “The end and object of conquest is to avoid doing the same thing as the conquered.” – Alexander the Great
46. “Without Knowledge, Skill cannot be focused. Without Skill, Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength, Knowledge may not be applied.” – Alexander the Great
47. “Toil and risk are the price of glory, but it is a lovely thing to live with courage and die leaving an everlasting fame.” – Alexander the Great
48. “Bury my body and don’t build any monument. Keep my hands out so the people know the one who won the world had nothing in hand when he died.” – Alexander the Great
49. “True love never has a happy ending, because there is no ending to true love.” – Alexander the Great
50. “Glory crowns the deeds of those who expose themselves to toils and dangers.” – Alexander the Great
51. “When my casket is being carried to the grave, leave my hands hanging outside. For empty-handed, I came into this world and empty-handed, I shall go! My whole life has been a hallow waste, a futile exercise, for no one at death can take anything with them!” – Alexander the Great
52. “A horse must be a bit mad to be a good cavalry mount, and its rider must be completely so.” – Steven Pressfield
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of horse quotes that will inspire you to take a ride.
53. “Soldiers, I had lately like to have been taken from you by the attempt of a few desperate men, but by the grace and providence of the gods, I am still preserved.” – Alexander the Great
Thought Provoking Alexander the Great Quotes
54. “May God keep you away from the venom of the cobra, the teeth of the tiger, and the revenge of the Afghans.” ― Alexander the Great
55. “There are no more worlds to conquer!” ― Alexander the Great
56. “God must have loved Afghans because he made them so beautiful.” ― Alexander the Great
57. “His father is governor of Media, and though he has the greatest command given him of all the rest of my generals, he still covetously desires more, and my being without issue spurs him on to this wicked design. But Philotas takes wrong measures.” — Alexander the Great
58. “My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” ― Alexander the Great
59. “When you bury my body, don’t build any momentum and keep my hands outside so that the world knows that the person who won the whole world had nothing in his hand while dying.” ― Alexander the Great
60. “I am dying with the help of too many physicians.” ― Alexander the Great
61. “I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion!” ― Alexander the Great
62. “I consider not what Parmenio should receive, but what Alexander should give.” ― Alexander the Great
63. “Do you not think it a matter worthy of lamentation that when there is such a vast multitude of them [worlds], we have not yet conquered one?” ― Alexander the Great
Alexander the Great Quotes To Bring You Memories
64. “But truly, if I were not Alexander, I would be Diogenes.” — Alexander the Great
65. “I do not pilfer victory.” — Alexander the Great
66. “What an excellent horse do they lose, for want of address and boldness to manage him! … I could manage this horse better than others do.” — Alexander the Great
67. “I am involved in the land of a leonine and brave people, where every foot of the ground is like a well of steel, confronting my soldier. You have brought only one son into the world, but everyone in this land can be called an Alexander.” — Alexander the Great
68. “So far as I am concerned, I could not be accused of having set eyes, or having wished to set eyes, upon Darius’ wife: on the contrary, I have refused even to listen to those who spoke to me of her beauty.” — Alexander the Great
69. “I wish that the Indians believed me a god, for upon the report of an enemy’s valor oftentimes depends the success of a battle, and false reports have many times done as great things as true courage and resolution.” — Alexander the Great
70. “Shall I pass by and leave you lying there because of the expedition you led against Greece, or shall I set you up again because of your magnanimity and your virtues in other respects?” — Alexander the Great
71. “O Athenians, what toil do I undergo to please you!” — Alexander the Great
72. “At Achilles tomb, O fortunate youth, to have found Homer as the herald of your glory!” — Alexander the Great
73. “Are there no more worlds that I might conquer?” — Alexander the Great
Alexander the Great Quotes from Ancient Times
74. “Shall I, that have destroyed my Preservers, return home?” — Alexander the Great
75. “For my part, I think that to a man of spirit there is no other aim and end of his labours except the labours themselves.” — Alexander the Great
76. “The best prophet is he who guesses well.” — Alexander the Great
77. “It is better to have no women to dinner at all than to have only ugly ones.” — Alexander the Great
78. “Oh! Most miserable wretch that I am! Why have I not learnt how to swim?” — Alexander the Great
79. “Your ancestors came to Macedonia and the rest of Hellas [Greece] and did us great harm, though we had done them no prior injury.” — Alexander the Great
80. “I have been appointed leader of the Greeks, and wanting to punish the Persians I have come to Asia, which I took from you.” — Alexander the Great
81. “Youths of the Pellaians and of the Macedonians and of the Hellenic Amphictiony and of the Lakedaimonians and of the Corinthians.” — Alexander the Great
82. “And of all the Hellenic peoples, join your fellow-soldiers and entrust yourselves to me, so that we can move against the barbarians and liberate ourselves from the Persian bondage, for as Greeks we should not be slaves to barbarians.” — Alexander the Great
83. “So would I, if I were Parmenion.” — Alexander the Great
Which of these inspirational Alexander the Great quotes motivates you the most?
The legacy of Alexander the Great lives on through his incredible quotes and speeches.
Read these words of wisdom whenever you seek encouragement, advice, or motivation.
As a leader and commander, Alexander III understood the sacrifices that must be made for success.
If you want to achieve your goals, you have to work hard and believe in your true potential.
Victory is the ultimate reward for those who put in the effort.
These Alexander the Great quotes prove that anything is possible for people who never give up.
You limit your potential every time you doubt your abilities or self worth.
These quotes serve as a helpful reminder to always pursue your ambitions.
Share these motivational sayings with someone who could use a boost of inspiration.
What are your favorite Alexander the Great quotes and sayings about conquest, ambitions, and power?
Let us know in the comment section below.