The following co-parenting quotes show why it is the right style of parenting for separated parents.
Parenting is never easy. When you become a parent for the first time there’s no guidebook that comes with your child. It’s a hard road to navigate at times. However, that road can become even harder when you and your partner decide to go in separate directions. You become two separate parents trying to raise the same child.
This situation can make it not only harder on you but also much harder on your children. Learning how to co-parent with your ex can be the best option available for your child if the two of you are unable to work things out together.
Below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and helpful co-parenting quotes and sayings, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Also check out these children quotes that will fill your heart with love and laughter.
Co-parenting quotes from celebrities
1. “We do bedtime every day. We felt like as much togetherness as possible would be ideal, and fortunately, we really love each other and are best friends, and so that works.” – Sienna Miller
2. “If Matt and I had a great relationship, we would still be together, but we chose to move on because we had different visions of how we wanted to live our lives. That doesn’t mean, though, that we can’t rebuild something that would be the best thing for the kids.” – Kate Hudson
3. “You have to get to that point as a divorced parent, as any parent, where you’re not putting yourself first. You want the kids’ experience to be its own and not like, ‘Well, I need to have my time!’ We have been very good about that.” – Ryan Phillippe
4. “We decided as a family it was the right decision for Flynn, so Orlando and I both relocated and we live five minutes from each other … Everything revolves around my son and his welfare.” – Miranda Kerr
5. “[Our son] comes first and you have to get past your own egos and you never talk bad about each other.” – Idina Menzel
6. “We both realize that we’re parents and we’re in it for our kid, and that’s made it really easy.” – Pete Wentz
7. “I have pictures up of me and Wiz in [our son’s] room so he can always come in and see us being happy together. We try to have family days with him, even though we’re not together. Kids want to see their parents together and if you can’t be together in a relationship, you’ve got to come together as friends for your baby.” – Amber Rose
8. “I’m very fortunate because we’re committed to co-parenting our children together.” – Elle Macpherson
9. “But at the end of the day, we’ve got a great kid who’s got two parents who love him very much. And we’re finding a way to navigate this while still remaining friends and still being kind to one another.” – Chris Pratt
10. “I’m really fortunate because my ex and I are very good friends and I talk to him every day. Our daughter is growing up seeing two people who care about each other. We may not be a traditional family on paper but we are a family and I tell her that families come in all shapes and sizes, but [a family is] love and I see her really flourishing because she sees two people treating each other with respect.” – Angela Kinsey
11. “At the end of the day, you’ve got to be a little selfless. You have to say ‘It’s not about us. This didn’t work out quite how we wanted it to but look at the amazing blessing that we have in these wonderful children.’ So you kinda put everything else to the side and really focus.” – Nick Cannon
12. “We are both totally committed to raising our son and being in love with our son… It’s a concept that’s fairly new, particularly in the psychology of raising a child in divorce. And the idea is, it’s really not the child’s fault that you got divorced. It’s your fault and therefore it should not be the child’s problem to go back and forth between two different homes.” – Josh Lucas on the “bird nesting” co-parenting arrangement
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of divorce quotes that will help you get through the pain of separation.
13. “I find co-parenting really easy. Scott and I communicate all the time. You have to keep discussing what’s going on because as the children grow older, the rules need to be renegotiated.” – Kourtney Kardashian
Insightful co-parenting quotes
14. “This is probably one of the most difficult challenges any parent could face, learning to love the other parent enough to make the children first.” – Lyanila Vanzant
15. “Co-parenting is not asking permission. It’s about discussing your child’s needs and wants and deciding what’s best.” – Unknown
16. “It’s a collaboration of parents doing what is best for the child regardless of their situation or feelings for one another.” – Unknown
17. “Co-parenting. It’s not a competition between two homes. It’s a collaboration of parents doing what is best for the kids.” – Heather Hetchler
Co-parenting quotes on why it’s best for the child
18. “The best security blanket a child can have is parents who respect each other.” – Jane Blaustone
19. “I don’t think children’s inner feelings have changed. They still want a mother and father in the very same house; they want places to play.” – Beverly Cleary
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Father-Son quotes about the power of their bond.
20. “It is critical to maintain boundaries between adult problems and children. Please protect your children’s innocence and allow them to remain children. They must not be burdened by adult problems. Kids don’t have the coping skills or the intellectual ability to understand money worries, adult relationship issues or their parents’ unhappiness.” – Unknown
21. “As kids do, they’re smart, and even if parents try to keep things away from them, conflict and issues and whatnot, kids pick up on what’s happening.” – Anna Gunn
22. “At the end of the day, the most overwhelming key to a child’s success is the positive involvement of the parents.” –Jane D. Hull
23. “Don’t worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you.” –Robert Fulghum
24. “Children shouldn’t have to sacrifice so that you can have the life you want. You make sacrifices so your children can have the life they deserve.” – Unknown
Co-parenting quotes about children
25. “Instead of raising children who turn out okay despite their childhood, let’s raise children who turn out extraordinary because of their childhood.” –L.R. Knost
26. “Make a positive difference in your children’s lives. Act and speak about your co-parent with respect and integrity.” – Allison Pescosolido
27. “If you love your child more than you hate your ex, you can solve most co-parenting problems.” – Helen Fried
28. “Don’t ever talk trash to a child about their other parent. After all, you found some good in them long enough to reproduce.” – Unknown
29. “The greatest thing a father can do for his children is to respect the woman that gave birth to his children. It is because of her that you have the greatest treasures in your life. You may have moved on, but your children have not. If you can’t be her soulmate, then at least be thoughtful. Whom your children love should always be someone that you acknowledge with kindness. Your children notice everything and will follow your example.” – Shannon Alder
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of father daughter quotes about their unbreakable bond.
30. “When you tell a child you hate their other parent, you are telling them you hate half of who they are.” –unknown
Co-parenting quotes to enlighten you
31. “To be in your children’s memories tomorrow, you have to be in their lives today.” – Barbara Johnson
32. “Don’t worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you.” – Robert Fulghum
33. “Why are you measuring? This is how you block, delay, hinder, obstruct and deny his place in the life as a father.” – Iyanla Vanzant
34. “Your ex is not your child’s ex… remember that.” – Unknown
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of ex quotes to help you make the most out of your break-up.
35. “Think of it as an important business project; you don’t always love the person that you’re working with, but you work together to get the project done. Co-parents need to adopt this same business model when co-parenting their children.” –Kela Price
36. “Thumbs up for parents and step-parents who co-parent! Children need to feel safe and loved in both homes.” – Unknown
37. “You are demonstrating to men that they can come back and get their kids. All of those fatherless sons and daddy-less daughters and the men who didn’t know how to go back, you are demonstrating to the world that they can.” – Iyanla Vanzant
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of Father’s Day quotes, celebrating dads all around the world.
More co-parenting quotes
38. “A narcissist will never co-parent with you. They will counter parent. They don’t care about the emotional damage that the constant drama inflicts upon the children as long as it causes emotional drama to you.” – A. Price
39. “Effective parenting has nothing to do with pointing out our faults and everything to do with working out solutions.” – L.R. Knost
40. “Co-parents need to suck it up and become a collaborative team for the sake of the child.” – Sherrill Ellsworth
Did these co-parenting quotes remind you to keep your children first?
As you can see, when it comes to parenting, it’s the same for both celebrities and the average person. Trying to co-parent your children with a person that you were in a past relationship with isn’t always easy. It requires you to put aside your hurt feelings and possibly overcome a lot of negative emotions that come with a failed relationship.
However, when you want what is best for your kids, it can require you to do things that you might not want to do. But the more you focus on your children and giving them the best upbringing that you can, the easier it can become.
Which of these co-parenting quotes and sayings resonated with you best? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
April 10, 2020 7:15 AM EST