These Lou Holtz quotes will inspire you to live life with purpose.
Lou Holtz is best known for his illustrious career coaching college football.
He played college ball at Kent State University while earning a degree in History.
He then became an assistant coach as he pursued his Master’s degree.
What are the 3 rules of coach Holtz?
In his own words, he wasn’t the best at playing football.
This is something that led him on his life’s path: “Had I been a great athlete, I’m not sure I would have even gone into coaching. I may have turned out feeling that my life ended when my athletic career ended, as happens so many times with various athletes.”
Lou had lots to say about football, life, and general advice.
In fact, his three rules of coaching can apply to nearly everything!
- Rule #1 – Do right
- Rule #2 – Do everything to the best of your ability within the time allotted
- Rule #3 – Show people you care
If you enjoy this collection, check out our inspirational quotes category page.
Lou Holtz’s wise words about life
Lou’s record at Notre Dame is impressive, 100-30-2, but his outlook on life makes him something to aspire to.
1. “Coaching is nothing more than eliminating mistakes before you get fired.” ― Lou Holtz
2. “In football, it’s the job of the player to play, the coach to coach, the official to officiate. Each guy is charged with upholding his end, nothing more. In golf, the player, coach, and official are rolled into one, and they overlap completely. Golf really is the best microcosm of life – or at least the way life should be.” ― Lou Holtz
3. “On this team, we’re all united in a common goal: to keep my job.” ― Lou Holtz
4. “I won’t accept anything less than the best a player’s capable of doing… and he has the right to expect the best that I can do for him and the team!” ― Lou Holtz
5. “Football coaches don’t have real problems.” ― Lou Holtz
6. “A lifetime contract for a coach means if you’re ahead in the third quarter and moving the ball, they can’t fire you.” ― Lou Holtz
7. “If Tiger Woods had played football, he would have been a quarterback.” ― Lou Holtz
8. “No matter what happens on the field, getting an education makes you a winner.” ― Lou Holtz
9. “The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it.” ― Lou Holtz
10. “To win a national championship, you’ve got to be a little lucky.” ― Lou Holtz
Lou Holtz quotes about how to live
11. “Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it.” ― Lou Holtz
12. “I never learn anything talking. I only learn things when I ask questions.” ― Lou Holtz
13. “If you’re bored with life – you don’t get up every morning with a burning desire to do things – you don’t have enough goals.” ― Lou Holtz
14. “I think that everybody needs four things in life. Everybody needs something to do regardless of age. Everybody needs someone to love. Everybody needs something to hope for, and, of course, everybody needs someone to believe in.” ― Lou Holtz
15. “I think life is a matter of choices and that wherever we are, good or bad, is because of choices we make.” ― Lou Holtz
16. “My philosophy in life is decide what you want to do. You have to have something to hope for.” ― Lou Holtz
17. “I just have an enthusiasm for life.” ― Lou Holtz
18. “Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. attitude determines how well you do it.” ― Lou Holtz
19. “You’re never as good as everyone tells you when you win, and you’re never as bad as they say when you lose.” ― Lou Holtz
20. “We can all be successful and make money, but when we die, that ends. But when you are significant is when you help other people be successful. That lasts many a lifetime.” ― Lou Holtz
Lou Holtz quotes that speak to struggle
Even the greatest coaches lose and face adversity.
21. “It’s not the load that breaks you down, it’s the way you carry it.” ― Lou Holtz
22. “Show me someone who has done something worthwhile, and I’ll show you someone who has overcome adversity.” ― Lou Holtz
23. “Don’t tell your problems to people: eighty percent don’t care, and the other twenty percent are glad you have them.” ― Lou Holtz
24. “If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven’t done anything today.” ― Lou Holtz
25. “You aren’t going to find anybody that’s going to be successful without making a sacrifice and without perseverance.” ― Lou Holtz
26. “Everyone goes through adversity in life, but what matters is how you learn from it.” ― Lou Holtz
27. “Nothing on this earth is standing still. It’s either growing or it’s dying. No matter if it’s a tree or a human being.” ― Lou Holtz
28. “I think everyone should experience defeat at least once during their career. You learn a lot from it.” ― Lou Holtz
29. “No one has ever drowned in sweat.” ― Lou Holtz
30. “If you try to fight the course, it will beat you.” ― Lou Holtz
Lou Holtz has three rules of coaching
Holtz led the team to win the national championship in 1988, so clearly, these rules of coaching work.
Which of these Lou Holtz quotes resonates with you the most?
31. “I follow three rules: Do the right thing, do the best you can, and always show people you care.” ― Lou Holtz
32. “Winners embrace hard work. They love the discipline of it, the trade-off they’re making to win. Losers, on the other hand, see it as punishment. And that’s the difference.” ― Lou Holtz
33. “Virtually nothing is impossible in this world if you just put your mind to it and maintain a positive attitude.” ― Lou Holtz
34. “Successful people will always tell you you can do something. It’s the people who have never accomplished anything who will always discourage you from trying to achieve excellent things.” ― Lou Holtz
35. “When people need love and understanding and support the most is when they deserve it the least.” ― Lou Holtz
36. “Do right. Do your best. Treat others as you want to be treated.” ― Lou Holtz
37. “I think that we have opportunities all around us – sometimes we just don’t recognize them.” ― Lou Holtz
38. “I believe that having a spiritual life is so important in everybody’s life.” ― Lou Holtz
39. “My wife told me if there are any rumors about me, it better be about politics and not about my social life.” ― Lou Holtz
40. “Whenever you give up something, you must replace it with something.” ― Lou Holtz
Witty one-liners from Lou Holtz
These Lou Holtz quotes will show you how sharp and witty he could be with only a few words!
41. “When all is said and done, more is said than done.” ― Lou Holtz
42. “If you burn your neighbor’s house down, it doesn’t make your house look any better.” ― Lou Holtz
43. “Don’t be a spectator, don’t let life pass you by.” ― Lou Holtz
44. “It is a fine thing to have ability, but the ability to discover ability in others is the true test.” ― Lou Holtz
45. “I think that we have opportunities all around us – sometimes we just don’t recognize them.” ― Lou Holtz
46. “I’m so old, I don’t buy green bananas anymore.” ― Lou Holtz
47. “You’ll never get ahead of anyone as long as you try to get even with him.” ― Lou Holtz
48. “The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren’t in a very good mood.” ― Lou Holtz
49. “How do you know what it’s like to be stupid if you’ve never been smart?” ― Lou Holtz
50. “One thing about me is I try to be honest.” ― Lou Holtz
Lou Holtz’s motivational thoughts about life
As you can tell from these Lou Holtz quotes, he has a lot to say about life and success.
51. “Remember. Every day, some ordinary person does something extraordinary. Today, it’s your turn.” ― Lou Holtz
52. “Everybody is looking for instant success, but it doesn’t work that way. You build a successful life one day at a time.” ― Lou Holtz
53. “In life, be a participant, not a spectator.” ― Lou Holtz
54. “You must have dreams and goals if you are ever going to achieve anything in this world.” ― Lou Holtz
55. “Never settle for second when first is available.” ― Lou Holtz
56. “The way you motivate a football team is to eliminate the unmotivated ones.” ― Lou Holtz
57. “If you don’t make a total commitment to whatever you are doing, then you start looking to bail out the first time the boat starts leaking.” ― Lou Holtz
58. “No matter how bad someone has it, there are others who have it worse. Remembering that makes life a lot easier and allows you to take pleasure in the blessings you have been given.” ― Lou Holtz
59. “You build a successful life a day at a time.” ― Lou Holtz
60. “In this world, you’re either growing, or you’re dying, so get in motion and grow.” ― Lou Holtz
What can this football coach teach you?
Did you learn something you can apply to your life from these Lou Holtz quotes?
Lou Holtz has been married to his wife since 1961, which is another accomplishment that has nothing to do with football.
Although his titles and championship record are impressive!
He coached at several schools, including Minnesota and Arkansas.
However, Lou is best known for his eleven-year coaching stint at Notre Dame and being an ESPN analyst for college games.
He retired from ESPN in 2015.
Lou Holtz had a tremendous impact on the world of college football, and his words can help us all live life with purpose.
He may not be coaching or analyzing football games anymore, but it sure sounds like he is one of those people who got to live life doing what they love.
Did you enjoy these Lou Holtz quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
Ready to get inspired and uplifted? These words of wisdom are here for you, friend!
Your mindset is your most powerful tool, and the best thing you can do with it is to remind yourself of all the good in your life each morning using positive affirmations.
Discover why hard work beats talent and why it’s the sustaining factor that will push you to the top of the heap and keep you there!
Inspirational biographies, however, provide insight into the life struggles of the rich and successful.
Check out these related quote articles:
Check out this list of education quotes that will help you appreciate the power of learning.
The human spirit has an unwavering ability to overcome, as seen in these challenge quotes.
From locker room pep talks to post-match interviews, athletes and coaches have delivered timeless words of wisdom that resonate far beyond the field of play.
These college quotes will inspire you to get good grades while having a memorable experience.