These hero quotes show that you don’t have to be a comic book star to be a hero in real life.
It’s easy to fall for the lie that only certain people can be heroes. However, heroes come in all shapes and sizes.
Every day we are protected by heroes such as servicemen and women, police officers, firefighters, and first responders.
Then, there are those such as teachers and people that stand up for children and others that can’t protect themselves.
Any one of us can be a hero. The hero quotes and sayings below will help inspire you to make a difference in your everyday life.
Don’t forget to also read these superhero quotes to inspire the best version of you.
Hero quotes on what defines one
1. “To be a hero or a heroine, one must give an order to oneself.” – Simone Weil
2. “You cannot be a hero without being a coward.” – George Bernard Shaw
3. “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” – Joseph Campbell
4. “Heroes are made by the paths they choose, not the power they are graced with.” – Brodi Ashton
5. “Heroes are made in the hour of defeat. Success is, therefore, well described as a series of glorious defeats.” – Mahatma Gandhi
6. “I think of a hero as someone who understands the degree of responsibility that comes with his freedom.” – Bob Dylan
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of Bob Dylan quotes from the iconic Folk singer.
7. “A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.” – Christoper Reeve
8. “A hero is someone who, in spite of weakness, doubt or not always knowing the answers, goes ahead and overcomes anyway.” – Christopher Reeve
9. “To be heroic is to be courageous enough to die for something; to be inspirational is to be crazy enough to live a little.” – Criss Jami
10. “The real hero is always a hero by mistake; he dreams of being an honest coward like everybody else.” – Umberto Eco
Meaningful hero quotes
11. “Nothing is given to man on earth – the struggle is built into the nature of life, and conflict is possible – the hero is the man who lets no obstacle prevent him from pursuing the values he has chosen.” – Andrew Bernstein
12. “To be heroic may mean nothing more than this then, to stand in the face of the status quo, in the face of an easy collapse into the madness of an increasingly chaotic world and represent another way.” – Mike Alsford
13. “Anyone who does anything to help a child in his life is a hero to me.” – Fred Rogers
14. “The prudent see only the difficulties, the bold only the advantages, of a great enterprise; the hero sees both; diminishes the former and makes the latter preponderate, and so conquers.” – Johann Kaspar Lavater
15. “The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men.” – Henry David Thoreau
16. “A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is braver five minutes longer.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
17. “Heroism is not only in the man, but in the occasion.” – Calvin Coolidge
18. “Real heroes are men who fall and are flawed, but win out in the end because they’ve stayed true to their ideals and beliefs and commitments.” – Kevin Costner
19. “People are not born heroes or villains; they’re created by the people around them.” – Chris Colfer
20. “The ordinary man is involved in action, the hero act. An immense difference.” – Henry Miller
If you’re enjoying this article, make sure to also check out these military quotes to honor our heroes.
Everyday hero quotes
21. “I am of certain convinced that the greatest heroes are those who do their duty in the daily grind of domestic affairs whilst the world whirls as a maddening dreidel.” – Florence Nightingale
22. “I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people.” – Maya Angelou
23. “Heroes are those who can somehow resist the power of the situation and act out of noble motives, or behave in ways that do not demean others when they easily can.” – Philip G. Zimbardo
24. “A hero is a man who is afraid to run away.” – English Proverb
25. “Friends are the real superheroes. They battle our worst enemies—loneliness, grief, anxiety, depression, fear, and doubt—every time they come around.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
26. “A true hero isn’t measured by the size of his strength, but by the strength of his heart.” – Hercules
27. “We do not have to become heroes overnight. Just a step at a time, meeting each thing that comes up… discovering we have the strength to stare it down.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
28. “True heroism is remarkably sober, very dramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others, at whatever cost.” – Arthur Ashe
Hero quotes to show appreciation for those who make a difference in our lives
29. “Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.” – Winston E. Churchill
30. “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” – John F. Kennedy
31. “My heroes are those who risk their lives every day to protect our world and make it a better place—police, firefighters, and members of our armed forces.” – Sidney Sheldon
32. “Honor to the soldier and sailor everywhere, who bravely bears his country’s cause. Honor, also, to the citizen who cares for his brother in the field and serves; as he best can, the same cause.” – Abraham Lincoln
33. “For the veteran, thank you for bravely doing what you’re called to do so we can safely do what we’re free to do.” – Unknown
34. “How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!” – Maya Angelou
Don’t forget to also check out these warrior quotes on having an unbeatable mind.
Hero quotes that will make your day
35. “To have no heroes is to have no aspiration, to live on the momentum of the past, to be thrown back upon routine, sensuality, and the narrow self.” – Charles Horton Cooley
36. “A hero is somebody who is selfless, who is generous in spirit, who just tries to give back as much as possible and help people. A hero to me is someone who saves people and who really deeply cares.” – Debit Mazar
37. “Don’t forget, you are the hero of your own story.” – Greg Boyle
38. “A hero is born among a hundred, a wise man is found among a thousand, but an accomplished one might not be found even among a hundred thousand men.” – Plato
39. “No hero is mortal till he dies.” – W.H. Auden
40. “The hero is never the star of the story.” – Marilyn Manson
41. “It doesn’t take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.” – Norman Schwarzkpof
42. “For one thing, I don’t think that anybody in any war thinks of themselves as a hero.” – Steven Spielberg
43. “Dr. Martin Luther King is not a black hero. He is an American hero.” – Morgan Freeman
44. “A hero is one who knows how to hang on one minute longer.” – Novalis
45. “A hero cannot be a hero unless in a heroic world.” – Nathaniel Hawthorne
46. “What makes Superman a hero is not that he has power, but that he has the wisdom and the maturity to use the power wisely. From an acting point of view, that’s how I approached the part.” – Christopher Reeve
47. “A hero is someone right who doesn’t change.” – George Foreman
More hero quotes and sayings
48. “The thing about a hero, is even when it doesn’t look like there’s a light at the end of the tunnel, he’s going to keep digging, he’s going to keep trying to do right and make up for what’s gone before, just because that’s who he is.” – Joss Whedon
49. “Aspire rather to be a hero than merely appear one.” – Baltasar Gracian
50. “Those who say that we’re in a time when there are no heroes, they just don’t know where to look.” – Ronald Reagan
51. “Heroes are not giant statues framed against a red sky. They are people who say: This is my community, and it’s my responsibility to make it better.” – Tom McCall
52. “The hero, in living her own life, in being true to herself; radiates a light by which others may see their own way.” – Laurence Boldt
53. “If you look inside yourself, and you believe, you can be your own hero.” – Mariah Carey
54. “Everyone is the hero of their own story.” – Barbara Nickless
55. “Being a hero is not necessarily wearing a mask and cape and saving the world, it can be as simple as doing the right thing.” – Steven Magee
56. “True heroes know that the most heroic thing about being a hero is not letting anyone else know that you are one.” – Craig D. Lounsbrough
57. “Heroes are made because they are moved. Not in their head, but in their heart.” – Eric Ludy
58. “Being a hero doesn’t mean you’re invincible. It just means that you’re brave enough to stand up and do what’s needed.” – Rick Riordan
59. “You were created a hero and born to prove it. Stand on challenges and make a difference.” – Israelmore Ayivor
60. “If you have the courage and you have the heart, that hero just might be you.” – Waylon Jennings
What did you learn from these hero quotes?
The hero quotes above can inspire you to great action. They can motivate you to be a hero in your own life or to be a hero to others.
They can also be a great reminder of making sure to thank the heroes that are in your own life. It could be someone that made a positive difference in your life when you were a child or a soldier that fought to protect you.
We all have choices to make each day on how we’re going to live. And we can always choose to live in a way that makes a positive difference for others.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these hero quotes and sayings? Which of the quotes resonated with you best? Let us know your opinion in the comment section below.
March 9, 2020 7:40 AM EST