Braveheart is a film from 1995 starring Mel Gibson. The movie has all the makings of the best stories: love, loss, rebellion, and a quest for freedom.
There are many famous lines from Braveheart (included in these 50 braveheart quotes), but none so iconic as the rebel yell when the prisoner “wishes to say a word.”
Do you think this movie is an epic tale of love and freedom?
I haven’t seen this movie (I know, I know…my husband was incredulous about this as well), but I might have to!
He asked me, “If I had really lived if I hadn’t seen this movie?” He is a little melodramatic…but not nearly as much as some of these characters!
These Braveheart quotes about freedom, life and death, betrayal, and character are sure to help inspire you!
Also check out our collection of Seinfeld quotes that are sure to make you laugh.
Braveheart quotes about freedom
1. “Your heart is free. Learn to follow it.” – William Wallace
2. “Never in my whole life did I swear allegiance to him.” – William Wallace
3. “Your heart is free. Have the courage to follow it.” – Malcolm Wallace
4. “Freeeedommm!” – William Wallace
5. “It’s all for nothing if you don’t have freedom.” – William Wallace
6. “There’s a difference between us. You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom. And I go to make sure that they have it.” – William Wallace
7. “Fight and you may die. Run, and you’ll live… at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin’ to trade all the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they’ll never take… our freedom!” – William Wallace
8. “In the year of our Lord thirteen fourteen, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields of Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom.” – Narrator
9. “I AM William Wallace! And I see a whole army of my countrymen, here, in defiance of tyranny. You’ve come to fight as free men, and free men you are. What will you do with that freedom? Will you fight?” – William Wallace
10. “I want a wife and children, and grow crops, but it’s all for nothing if you don’t have freedom.” – William Wallace
Braveheart quotes about England and Scotland
11. “The trouble with Scotland is that it’s full of Scots.” – King Edward I
12. “Oh, it’s good Scottish weather, madam. The rain is falling straight down. Well, slightly to the side like.” – William Wallace
13. “She was my wife. We married in secret because I would not share her with an English lord. They killed her to get to me. I’ve never spoken of it, I don’t know why I tell you now, except… I see her strength in you. One day, you’ll be a queen. And you must open your eyes. You tell your king that William Wallace will *not* be ruled… and nor will any Scot while I live.” – William Wallace
14. “Go back to England and tell them there that Scotland’s daughters and sons are yours no more. Tell them Scotland is free.” – William Wallace
15. “I shall tell you of William Wallace. Historians from England will say I am a liar, but history is written by those who have hanged heroes.” – Robert the Bruce
16. “Saying goodbye in their own way. Playing outlawed tunes on outlawed pipes.” – Argyle Wallace
Also check out these hilarious Ron Burgundy quotes.
Braveheart quotes about life and death
17. “We all end up dead, it’s just a question of how and why.” – William Wallace
18. “Give me the strength to die well.” – William Wallace
19. “Every man dies, not every man really lives.” – William Wallace
20. “Lower your flags and march straight back to England, stopping at every home you pass by to beg forgiveness for a hundred years of theft, rape, and murder. Do that and your men shall live. Do it not, and every one of you will die today.” – William Wallace
21. “Not the archers. My scouts tell me their archers are miles away and no threat to us. Arrows cost money. Use up the Irish. The dead cost nothing.”– King Edward I
22. “I’ve lived long enough to live free. And proud to see you become the man that you are. I’m a happy man.” – Campbell
23. “Bring me, Wallace, alive if possible, dead…just as good.” – King Edward I
Braveheart quotes about fighting, betrayal, and hate
24. “What does that mean to be noble? Your title gives you claim to the throne of our country, but men don’t follow titles, they follow courage.” – William Wallace
25. “All men betray. All lose heart.” -Robert’s Father
26. “At last, you know what it means to hate. Now you’re ready to be a king.” -Robert’s Father
27. “My hate will die with you.” – Robert the Bruce
28. “I have nothing. Men fight for me because if they do not, I throw them off my land and I starve their wives and their children. Those men who bled the ground red at Falkirk, they fought for William Wallace, and he fights for something that I never had. And I took it from him when I betrayed him. I saw it in his face on the battlefield and it’s tearing me apart.” – Robert the Bruce
29. “Go home. Some of us are in this; can’t help that, now. But you can help yourselves. Go home.” – William Wallace
30. “The king will be dead in a month and his son is a weakling. Who do you think is going to rule this kingdom?” – Princess Isabelle
31. “The answer is yes. Fight for me, you get to kill the English.” – William Wallace
32. “You see? Death comes to us all. But before it comes to you, know this: your blood dies with you. A child who is not of your line grows in my belly. Your son will not sit long on the throne. I swear it.” – Princess Isabelle
Don’t forget to also read these hilarious Minion quotes that will charm and delight you.
Lighthearted Braveheart quotes
33. “Of course, running a farm is a lot of work, but that will all change when my sons arrive.” – William Wallace
34. “Well, my kilt will fly up, but I’ll try.” – William Wallace
35. “I hope you washed your ass this morning, it’s about to be kissed by a king.” – English Commander
36. “The Almighty says this must be a fashionable fight. It’s drawn the finest people.” – Stephen
37. “Who is this person that speaks to me as though I needed his advice?” – King Edward I
38. “What in the hell are the Irish doing fighting with the English?” – Hamish
39. “Well, we didn’t get dressed up for nothing.” – Hamish
40. “Yes, I’ve heard. Kills men by the hundreds. And if he were here, he’d consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse.” – William Wallace
41. “Stephen is my name and I’m the most wanted man on my island, except I’m not on my island of course.” – Stephen
42. “Incompetence is often highly regarded in governmental circles.” – William Wallace
Braveheart quotes about what makes a man
43. “And the common man, who bleeds on the battlefield, does he risk less?” – William Wallace
44. “I have been given nothing. God makes men what they are.” – William Wallace
45. “I know. I know you can fight. But it’s our wits that make us men.” – Malcolm Wallace
46. “I don’t want to lose heart. I want to believe as he does.” – Robert the Bruce
47. “Well, the test of a soldier is not in his arm, it’s here.” [points at his head] – William Wallace
48. “Forgive me, sire. I thought that generosity might demonstrate your greatness to those you mean to rule.” – Princess Isabelle
49. “Truth is truth, even when told by a liar. – William Wallace
50. “This Wallace, he doesn’t even have a knighthood, but he fights with passion and he inspires.” – Robert the Bruce
More Braveheart quotes
51. “No one knows what you have been through or what your pretty little eyes have seen, but I can reassure you ~ whatever you have conquered, it shines through your mind.” – Nikki Rowe
52. “Awake, O brave one! Arise, O lion-heart! Be the messenger that spreads compassion.” – Abhijit Naskar
53. “You can raise your hand on two occasions, one to surrender the other to challenge.” – Dr.P.S. Jagadeesh Kumar
54. “The courage to TRY is more important than talent itself.” – Nicky Verd
55. “Love was only for the brave. It made you more vulnerable than anything ever could. When you gave someone your heart, you also gave them the power to destroy you.” – Emery Rose
56. “In the game of life; Sometimes we win, Sometimes we loss, Either ways, we should always keep playing.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
57. “Go forward and conquer any mountain on your path.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
58. “When you’re scared but you still do it anyway, that’s brave.” – Neil Gaiman
59. “A brave heart doesn’t pump coward’s blood.” – Toba Beta
60. “Never, never, give in to fear. It is better to have tried and failed than never trying.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
Which of these Braveheart quotes struck a chord with you?
I am not going to lie, I am intrigued by all the storyline and my husband has insisted on watching this the whole time I have been typing.
He told me I read “all these Scottish romance novels” and that means I would love Braveheart. I might just let him convince me to give it a shot!
Wallace was a hero and we could all take heed of his advice to really live life. Have a favorite scene or quote from Braveheart that you would like to share? Drop a comment below and let me know!
March 1, 2021 6:00 AM EST