These Braveheart quotes about freedom, life and death, betrayal, and character will help inspire you!
Braveheart is a film from 1995 directed by and starring Mel Gibson.
The movie has all the makings of the best stories: love, loss, rebellion, and a quest for freedom.
You may also enjoy our article on:
Do you think this movie is an epic tale of love and freedom?
I haven’t seen this movie (I know; my husband was incredulous about this as well), but I might have to!
He asked me, “If I had really lived if I hadn’t seen this movie?”
He is a little melodramatic… but not nearly as much as some of these characters!
Released on May 24, 1995, Braveheart was a critical and commercial success.
It grossed over $210.4 million worldwide, making it the thirteenth-highest-grossing film of 1995.
What are the benefits of reading Braveheart quotes?
Along with being a box office hit, the film won five Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director for Gibson.
There are many famous lines from Braveheart (included in these 25 Braveheart quotes), but none so iconic as the rebel yell when the prisoner “wishes to say a word.”
These Braveheart quotes will:
- give you the courage to fight for what matters to you
- express why freedom for everyone matters
- give you a new perspective on things like betrayal and hate
- expand your thinking on life and death
Also, check out our collection of Seinfeld quotes that are sure to make you laugh.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Look through our complete collection of inspirational quotes here.
Braveheart quotes about freedom
1. “Your heart is free. Learn to follow it.” – William Wallace
You will also enjoy our article on betrayal quotes.
2. “Never in my whole life did I swear allegiance to him.” – William Wallace
You will also enjoy our article on liar quotes.
3. “Your heart is free. Have the courage to follow it.” – Malcolm Wallace
You will also enjoy our article on Anchorman quotes.
4. “Freeeedommm!” – William Wallace
5. “It’s all for nothing if you don’t have freedom.” – William Wallace
6. “There’s a difference between us. You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom. And I go to make sure that they have it.” – William Wallace
7. “Fight and you may die. Run, and you’ll live… at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin’ to trade all the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they’ll never take… our freedom!” – William Wallace
8. “In the year of our Lord thirteen fourteen, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields of Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom.” – Narrator
9. “I AM William Wallace! And I see a whole army of my countrymen, here, in defiance of tyranny. You’ve come to fight as free men, and free men you are. What will you do with that freedom? Will you fight?” – William Wallace
10. “I want a wife and children, and grow crops, but it’s all for nothing if you don’t have freedom.” – William Wallace
Braveheart quotes about England and Scotland
11. “The trouble with Scotland is that it’s full of Scots.” – King Edward I
12. “Oh, it’s good Scottish weather, madam. The rain is falling straight down. Well, slightly to the side like.” – William Wallace
13. “She was my wife. We married in secret because I would not share her with an English lord. They killed her to get to me. I’ve never spoken of it, I don’t know why I tell you now, except… I see her strength in you. One day, you’ll be a queen. And you must open your eyes. You tell your king that William Wallace will *not* be ruled… and nor will any Scot while I live.” – William Wallace
You will also enjoy our article on Gladiator quotes.
14. “Go back to England and tell them there that Scotland’s daughters and sons are yours no more. Tell them Scotland is free.” – William Wallace
You will also enjoy our article on freedom of speech quotes.
15. “I shall tell you of William Wallace. Historians from England will say I am a liar, but history is written by those who have hanged heroes.” – Robert the Bruce
You will also enjoy our article on unforgettable memories quotes.
16. “Saying goodbye in their own way. Playing outlawed tunes on outlawed pipes.” – Argyle Wallace
Also, check out these hilarious Ron Burgundy quotes.
Braveheart quotes about life and death
17. “We all end up dead, it’s just a question of how and why.” – William Wallace
You will also enjoy our article on lion king quotes.
18. “Give me the strength to die well.” – William Wallace
You will also enjoy our article on Grey’s Anatomy quotes.
19. “Every man dies, not every man really lives.” – William Wallace
You will also enjoy our article on rain man quotes.
20. “Lower your flags and march straight back to England, stopping at every home you pass by to beg forgiveness for a hundred years of theft, rape, and murder. Do that and your men shall live. Do it not, and every one of you will die today.” – William Wallace
21. “Not the archers. My scouts tell me their archers are miles away and no threat to us. Arrows cost money. Use up the Irish. The dead cost nothing.”- King Edward I
22. “I’ve lived long enough to live free. And proud to see you become the man that you are. I’m a happy man.” – Campbell
23. “Bring me, Wallace, alive if possible, dead…just as good.” – King Edward I
Braveheart quotes about fighting, betrayal, and hate
24. “What does that mean to be noble? Your title gives you claim to the throne of our country, but men don’t follow titles, they follow courage.” – William Wallace
25. “All men betray. All lose heart.” -Robert’s Father
Which of these Braveheart quotes struck a chord with you?
I will not lie, I am intrigued by the storyline, and my husband has insisted on watching this the whole time I have been typing.
He told me I read “all these Scottish romance novels, ” which means I would love Braveheart.
I might just let him convince me to give it a shot!
Wallace was a hero, and we could all heed his advice to live life.
Have a favorite scene or quote from Braveheart that you would like to share?
Drop a comment below and let me know!