These Magic Johnson quotes will give you a glimpse into how he built his empire.
Earvin Magic Johnson has evolved to become one of the most successful business people in America.
Even if you are not a basketball fan, the chances are high that you have heard the name Magic Johnson before.
Who is Magic Johnson?
Earvin Johnson is a Hall of Fame basketball player and an incredibly successful businessman.
He was born on August 14, 1959, in Lansing, Michigan.
He earned the nickname Magic as a student-athlete because of his fantastic passing and ball-handling abilities.
Magic led his high school to a state championship.
Later he went to Michigan State University, where he won the NCAA championship in 1979 against Larry Bird.
Magic led the Los Angeles Lakers to five NBA championships as a professional.
How did Magic deal with adversity?
It is well known that during the height of his professional basketball career, Magic contracted HIV.
On November 7, 1991, Johnson made headlines when he shared that he was HIV-positive and was retiring from basketball.
The world of sports was shocked, considering Magic was the all-time assist leader during this era.
He returned to basketball during the 1992 All-Star Game, where he won the MVP award.
Later he went to join the Dream Team and captured a gold medal in the Olympics for basketball.
He played with the Lakers briefly in 1995 and became a minority team owner until 2010.
Since retiring from professional sports, Magic has amassed an impressive business empire of restaurants, movie theaters, and business ventures, including purchasing the Los Angeles Dodgers.
He reminds people, “I’m at peace with myself. The main thing is not letting people dictate what I do or what I am.”
Magic advocates for HIV awareness and treatment and uses his fortune and likeness to promote HIV education and research.
If you love basketball or are a fan of Magic, you will love our Magic Johnson quotes!
Check out our awesome selections below for more amazing content.
You will also enjoy our article on basketball quotes.
Short Magic Johnson life lesson quotes
These short quotes from Magic have wisdom we can all benefit from including in our lives.
1. “Whatever your dream is, go for it.” — Magic Johnson
2. “I may be up early, but I’m in bed early too.” — Magic Johnson
3. “You’re the only one who can make the difference.” — Magic Johnson
4. “I look three to five years ahead, not ten years behind.” — Magic Johnson
5. “When you face a crisis, you know who your true friends are.” — Magic Johnson
Magic Johnson quotes about friendships and teamwork
Magic was known as one of the most dazzling passers in NBA history; he knows a thing or two about friendship and cooperation.
6. “When you are honest and open with young people, they let you in.” — Magic Johnson
7. “Every kid, every minority kid, can be so successful if they focus on their education.” — Magic Johnson
8. “Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates.” — Magic Johnson
9. “If you’re a competitive, that stays with you. You don’t stop. You always look over your shoulder.” — Magic Johnson
10. “If people around you aren’t going anywhere, if their dreams are no bigger than hanging out on the corner, or if they’re dragging you down, get rid of them.” — Magic Johnson
Magic Johnson quotes about loving family and honoring our parents
Magic is a family man who consistently gives respect to the hard work his parents put in.
11. “My dad was my hero. And I got my personality from my mother.” — Magic Johnson
12. “God blessed me with two unbelievable parents, and I am just like both of them.” — Magic Johnson
13. “My father is my idol, so I always did everything like him. He used to work two jobs and still come home happy every night.” — Magic Johnson
14. “I have the smile and charisma of my mother and the big heart of my mom because she wants to save the world and help the world, so I am just like her.” — Magic Johnson
15. “My father was a great example of a strong and good man and Christian man, and my mother taught all my six sisters how to be young ladies and mothers and how to take care of your family.” — Magic Johnson
Magic Johnson quotes about making the most out of life’s opportunities
Magic grew up with few resources but worked hard and dedicated himself to his craft until he succeeded.
16. “I grew up poor, but I didn’t have poor dreams.” — Magic Johnson
17. “Life doesn’t stop because something happens to you.” — Magic Johnson
18. “Just celebrate the life you had, not the life you could’ve had.” — Magic Johnson
19. “I’m the one who will take chances, not worry about the backlash.” — Magic Johnson
20. “I like things going on in my life. I don’t want to be on a beach somewhere just relaxing.” — Magic Johnson
Magic Johnson quotes about how to succeed in business
Magic Johnson is a billionaire and has many successful business ventures. These quotes shed light on how he built his empire.
21. “I think that there are always goals for me to try to achieve, and I’m going to work toward those goals.” — Magic Johnson
22. “I am a businessman. This is what I do each and every day. I love it. I love coming to work. I never have a bad day.” — Magic Johnson
23. “I think you just have to keep knocking down doors, you have to keep being aggressive, and even if somebody says ‘No,’ then you have to knock on the next door.” — Magic Johnson
24. “Research your idea. See if there’s a demand. A lot of people have great ideas, but they don’t know if there’s a need for it. You also have to research your competition.” — Magic Johnson
25. “I was able to see what I wanted to do, I could see the opportunity, even when others could not, and I stay committed to doing it and doing it well, no matter what.” — Magic Johnson
Why is Magic Johnson a basketball legend?
Magic Johnson reached legendary status on and off the basketball court.
As a player, he achieved all of the highest levels of success: Rookie of the Year, MVP, Champion, Assist Leader, Olympic Gold Medalist, and was named a top fifty player of all time.
Off of the court, Magic has shown us that despite our conditions, we can always bounce back and push ourselves further.
His battle with contracting HIV and promoting awareness about the virus illustrates that Magic is both mentally and physically tough.
When asked what the key to his success is, he responded with the following quote:
“I motivate others by making sure that they understand to go after their dreams and don’t let anyone tell you you can’t. If you are motivated enough and put the work in that you can achieve anything in life that you set your mind to.”
Do you have a favorite Magic Johnson quote?
Please, be sure to let us know in the comments below.