These W.E.B. Du Bois quotes will challenge the way you think and stimulate your hunger for knowledge.
Du Bois was a spokesperson for African-American rights whose work helped change the way that the lives of blacks were seen in American society. He rose to national prominence as the leader of the Niagara Movement and was one of the founders of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)
Born on February 23, 1868, in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, Du Bois
was the first person in his extended family to attend high school, and the first African-American to earn a doctorate at Harvard.
W.E.B Du Bois died on August 27, 1963 in Ghana, while working on an encyclopedia of the African diaspora. He will always be remembered as one of 20th century’s most brilliant individuals.
In honor of the first great scholar of black life in America, here is our collection of inspirational, wise, and thought-provoking W.E.B. Du Bois quotes.
W.E.B. Du Bois quotes honoring the power of education
1. ”Whether you like it or not the millions are here, and here they will remain. If you do not lift them up, they will pull you down. Education must not simply teach work – it must teach life.” – W. E. B. Du Bois
2. ”Now is the accepted time, not tomorrow, not some more convenient season. It is today that our best work can be done and not some future day or future year. It is today that we fit ourselves for the greater usefulness of tomorrow. Today is the seed time, now are the hours of work, and tomorrow comes the harvest and the playtime.” – W. E. B. Du Bois
3. ”The function of the university is not simply to teach breadwinning, or to furnish teachers for the public schools, or to be a centre of polite society; it is, above all, to be the organ of that fine adjustment between real life and the growing knowledge of life, an adjustment which forms the secret of civilization.” – W. E. B. Dubois
4. ”The return from your work must be the satisfaction which that work brings you and the world’s need of that work. With this, life is heaven, or as near heaven as you can get. Without this — with work which you despise, which bores you, and which the world does not need — this life is hell.” – W. E. B. Dubois
5. ”Education and work are the levers to uplift a people.” –W. E. B. Du Bois
6. “There is in this world, no such force as the force of a person determined to rise. The human soul cannot be permanently chained.” – W.E.B. Du Bois
7. ”Be honest, frank and fearless and get some grasp of the real values of life… Read some good, heavy, serious books just for discipline: Take yourself in hand and master yourself.” – W.E.B. Du Bois
8. ”In all things purely social we can be as separate as the five fingers, and yet one as the hand in all things essential to mutual progress.” – W.E.B. Du Bois
9. ”And yet this does not touch the kernel of the problem. Human advancement is not a mere question of almsgiving, but rather of sympathy and cooperation among classes who would scorn charity.” – W.E.B. Du Bois
W.E.B Du Bois quotes that will stimulate your hunger for knowledge
11. ”A little less complaint and whining, and a little more dogged work and manly striving would do us more credit than a thousand civil rights bills.” – W.E.B. Du Bois
12. ”Strive for that greatness of spirit that measures life not by its disappointments but by its possibilities.” – W. E. B. Du Bois
13. ”The future woman must have a life work and economic independence. She must have the right of motherhood at her own discretion.” – W. E. B. Du Bois
14. ”The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression.” – W. E. B. Dubois
15. ”I have loved my work, I have loved people and my play, but always I have been uplifted by the thought that what I have done well will live long and justify my life, that what I have done ill or never finished can now be handed on to others for endless days to be finished, perhaps better than I could have done.” – W. E. B. Du Bois
16. ”One thing alone I charge you. As you live, believe in life! Always human beings will live and progress to greater, broader and fuller life. The only possible death is to lose belief in this truth simply because the great end comes slowly, because time is long.” – W. E. B. Du Bois
17. ”I insist that the object of all true education is not to make men carpenters, it is to make carpenters men.” – W. E. B. Du Bois
More W.E.B. Du Bois quotes that will change the way you think
18. ”Education is that whole system of human training within and without the school house walls, which molds and develops men.” – W. E. B. Du Bois
19. ”Believe in life! Always human beings will progress to greater, broader, and fuller life.” – W. E. B. Dubois
20. ”And yet this very singleness of vision and thorough oneness with his age is a mark of the successful man. It is as though nature needs must make men narrow in order to give them force.” – W. E. B. Dubois
21. ”The worker must work for the glory of his handiwork, not simply for pay; the thinker must think for truth, not for fame.” – W. E. B. Dubois
22. ”The theory of democratic government is not that the will of the people is always right, but rather that normal human beings of average intelligence will, if given a chance, learn the right and best course by bitter experience.” – W. E. B. Dubois
23. ”A system cannot fail those who it was never meant to protect.” – W. E. B. Dubois
24. ”Children learn more from what you are than what you teach.” – W. E. B. Dubois
25. ”Men we shall have only as we make manhood the object of the work of the schools – intelligence, broad sympathy, knowledge of the world that was and is, and of the relation of men to it – this is the curriculum of that Higher Education which must underlie true life.” – W.E. B. Du Bois
Which of these W.E.B. Du Bois quotes was your favorite?
W.E.B. Du Bois’ work transformed the way that blacks were perceived in American society. He will always be remembered for championing liberal learning and for his commitment to the struggle against racial discrimination.
Du Bois’ life and work remind us to always stand up for what is right rather than what the establishment deems to be popular. Hopefully, the above quotes will help empower you.
Did you enjoy these W.E.B. Du Bois quotes? Which of the quotes was your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.
May 5, 2019 8:00 AM EST