With a healthy dose of courage and determination, you can accomplish incredible feats.
If you’re ready to become a better man and live a more fulfilled life, we want to provide you with wise words to help you along your journey.
Being a man is about taking responsibility and using your willpower to become the person that you know you can and should be. It’s about using your power as a man to serve others and create positive change.
Although you can never be perfect, there are many things you can do to become a better man. There is always room for improvement and opportunities for growth.
Just like any other human, you’ll stumble and make mistakes from time to time. But with enough focus and determination, you can make steady progress over time and turn your weakness into greatness.
Instead of being a victim of your environment, take responsibility for your circumstances and look for opportunities to create the kind of life you desire. It’s easier said than done, but you can become and be even more of a man than you are right now.
To help you become the best that you can be, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and good man quotes, good man sayings, and good man proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Don’t forget to also read these classy gentleman quotes that will inspire you to become an upstanding member of society.
Good Man Quotes To Inspire You To Do Your Best
1. “Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.” – Theodore Roosevelt
2. “The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” – Thomas Paine
3. “If a man’s mind becomes pure, his surroundings will also become pure.” – Buddha
4. “The way of a superior man is three-fold: virtuous, he is free from anxieties; wise, he is free from perplexities; bold, he is free from fear.” – Confucius
5. “The first step to be a good man is this: You must deeply feel the burden of the stones some else [is] carrying.” – Mehmet Murat ildan
6. “The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.” – Samuel Johnson
7. “To be a man requires that you accept everything life has to give you, beginning with your name.” – Burl Ives
8. “It takes a great man to be a good listener.” – Calvin Coolidge
9. “He who stops being better stops being good.” – Oliver Cromwell
10. “The heart of a good man is the sanctuary of God in this world.” – Suzanne Curchod
Good man quotes that will make you want to up your game
11. “The man who is deserving the name is the one whose thoughts and exertions are for others rather than for himself.” – Walter Scott
12. “You have to have a bunch of dimensions of yourself. You have to be able to adapt in this world. You can’t be a nice guy living in a world of savages.” – Mike Tyson
13. “Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.” – Marcus Aurelius
14. “You spend time with your family? Good. Because a man who doesn’t spend time with his family can never be a real man.” – Don Vito Corleone
15. “Nothing deters a good man from doing what is honorable.” – Seneca the Younger
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Seneca quotes that will help you in all facets of your life.
16. “The mark of a great man is one who knows when to set aside the important things in order to accomplish the vital ones.” – Brandon Sanderson
17. “If unwilling to rise in the morning, say to thyself, ‘I awake to do the work of a man.’” – Marcus Aurelius
18. “Life is too short to be little. Man is never so manly as when he feels deeply, acts boldly, and expresses himself with frankness and with fervor.” – Benjamin Disraeli
19. “A man may conquer a million men in battle but one who conquers himself is, indeed, the greatest of conquerors.” – Buddha
20. “Men are like steel. When they lose their temper, they lose their worth.” – Chuck Norris
Good man quotes to help you become the best version of yourself
21. “A good man will want you to shine. He wants you to be your amazing self. A good man loves to show off his happy, intelligent, amazing, powerful woman.” – Anastasia Netri
22. “Being a ‘good man’ is something you do, not something you are.” – Luvvie Ajayi
23. “A good man’s prayers will from the deepest dungeon climb heaven’s height, and bring a blessing down.” – Joanna Baillie
24. “It is not what he has, or even what he does which expresses the worth of a man, but what he is.” – Henri-Frederic Amiel
25. “One good man, one good man, it ain’t much – it’s only everything.” – Deborah Kerr
26. “Adversity toughens manhood, and the characteristic of the good or the great man is not that he has been exempt from the evils of life, but that he has surmounted them.” – Patrick Henry
27. “A good man would prefer to be defeated than to defeat injustice by evil means.” – Sallust
28. “There are two questions a man must ask himself: The first is ‘Where am I going?’ and the second is ‘Who will go with me?’ If you ever get these questions in the wrong order you are in trouble.” – Sam Keen
29. “No great man ever complains of want of opportunity.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
30. “The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better.” – John Dewey
Good man quotes that will inspire you to be a better person
31. “He who Serves his fellows is, of all his fellows, greatest.” – E. Urner Goodman
32. “A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker.” – Gautama Buddha
33. “What a man knows should find its expression in what he does. The value of superior knowledge is chiefly in that it leads to a performing manhood.” – Christian Nestell Bovee
34. “A strong man doesn’t have to be dominant toward a woman. He doesn’t match his strength against a woman weak with love for him. He matches it against the world.” – Marilyn Monroe
35. “A man’s got to have a code, a creed to live by, no matter his job.” – John Wayne (see more inspirational John Wayne quotes)
36. “A man does what he must – in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures – and that is the basis of all human morality.” – John F. Kennedy
37. “A man should be able to hear, and to bear, the worst that could be said of him.” – Saul Bellow
38. “It is part of a good man to do great and noble deeds, though he risk everything.” – Plutarch
39. “There is nothing noble being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” – Winston Churchill
40. “It is not the situation which makes the man, but the man who makes the situation.” – Frederick William Robertson
Good man quotes to help you reach you full potential
41. “A gentleman will open doors, pull out chairs, and carry things. Not because she’s helpless or unable, but because he wants to show her that she is valuable and worthy of respect.” – Charles J. Orlando
42. “The mark of a real man, is a man who can allow himself to fall deeply in love with a woman.” – C. JoyBell C.
43. “You have to be a man before you can be a gentleman.” – John Wayne
44. “Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man.” – Arthur Schopenhauer
45. “Good men who exercise power are really the most fascinating of all people.” – John Keegan
46. “A man’s ledger does not tell what he is, or what he is worth. Count what is in man, not what is on him, if you would know what he is worth—whether rich or poor.” – Henry Ward Beecher
47. “Being a good husband is like being a good stand-up comic: you need ten years before you can even call yourself a beginner.” – Jerry Seinfeld
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of husband quotes to make him feel appreciated.
48. “Good men have the fewest fears. He has but one great fear who fears to do wrong; he has a thousand who has overcome it.” – Christian Nestell Bovee
49. “Though in the order of nature angels rank above men, yet, by scale of justice, good men are of greater value than bad angels.” – Saint Augustine
50. “A man must at times be hard as nails: willing to face up to the truth about himself…But he must also be tender. No weapon will breach the armor of a woman’s resentment like tenderness.” – Elisabeth Elliot
Good man quotes to elevate your perspective
51. “If there is anything that a man can do well, I say let him do it. Give him a chance.” – Abraham Lincoln
52. “Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
53. “It is his nature, not his standing, that makes the good man.” –
54. “The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions” — Leonardo da Vinci
55. “A good man does not spy around for the black spots in others, but presses unswervingly on towards his mark.” – Marcus Aurelius
56. “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.” — Bob Marley
57. “Excellence or virtue in a man will be the disposition which renders him a good man and also which will cause him to perform his function well.” –
58. “Women love us for our defects. If we have enough of them, they will forgive us everything, even our gigantic intellects.” — Oscar Wilde
59. “Try not to become a man of success, but rather become a man of value.” – Albert Einstein
60. “There is nothing wrong with being afraid – but there is nothing more wrong than allowing that to be your master.” – Bobby Darin
Good man quotes to inspire and motivate you
61. “A superior man is modest in his speech , but exceeds in his actions.” – Confucius
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of inspirational quotes that will brighten your day.
62. “A good man is kinder to his enemy than bad men are to their friends.” –
63. “Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you.” – Aldous Huxley
64. “A good man and a wise man may at times be angry with the world, at times grieved for it; but be sure no man was ever discontented with the world who did his duty in it.” – Robert Southey
65. “Life’s not about hard of a hit you can give….it’s about how many you can take, and still keep moving forward.” — Sylvester Stallone in Rocky
66. “A good man will not lie, although it be for his profit.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
67. “The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet keep looking. Don’t Settle.” — Steve Jobs
68. “The life of a good man is at the same time the most eloquent lesson of virtue and the most severe reproof of vice.” – Samuel Smiles
69. “Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.” — Martin Luther King Jr.
70. “To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe” – Anatole France
Good man quotes to live by
71. “Try to live the life of the good man who is more than content with what is allocated to him.” – Marcus Aurelius
72. “A good man can be stupid and still be good. But a bad man must have brains.” – Maxim Gorky
73. “People often tell me I could be a great man. I’d rather be a good man.” –
John F. Kennedy Jr.
74. “It is the task of a good man to help those in misfortune.” – Sophocles
75. “Life is strange. Every so often a good man wins.” – Frank Dane
76. “Living or dead, to a good man there can come no evil.” – Socrates
77. “Most important is be a good man.” – Pele
78. “The good man does not grieve that other people do not recognize his merits. His only anxiety is lest he should fail to recognize theirs.” – Confucius
79. “No evil can happen to a good man either in life or after death.” – Plato
80. “The life of a good man was a continual warfare with his passions.” –Samuel Richardson
Good man quotes to encourage
81. “One can know a man from his laugh, and if you like a man’s laugh before you know anything of him, you may confidently say that he is a good man.” – Fyodor Dostoevsky
82. “The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.” – Albert Einstein
83. “We are all ready to be savage in some cause. The difference between a good man and a bad one is the choice of the cause.” – William James
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of savage quotes that will spark your inner boss.
84. “A man ought to carry himself in the world as an orange tree would if it could walk up and down in the garden–swinging perfume from every little censer it holds up to the air.” – Henry Ward Beecher
85. “The times are never so bad but that a good man can make shift to live in them.” – Thomas More
86. “There is one rule, above all others, for being a man. Whatever comes, face it on your feet.” – Larissa Ione
87. “Contemporaries appreciate the man rather than the merit; but posterity will regard the merit rather than the man.” – Charles Caleb Colton
88. “You can’t measure manhood with a tape line around his biceps.” – Billy Sunday
89. “Here is the manliness of manhood, that a man has a good reason for what he does, and has a will in doing it.” –Alexander MacLaren
90. “A man knows his limits, but a real man can overcome them.” – Travis Martin
More good man quotes and sayings
91. “Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.”― Voltaire
92. “Change your thoughts and you change your world.” – Norman Vincent Peale
93. “The truth is found when men are free to pursue it.” — Franklin D. Roosevelt
94. “Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.” – Dale Carnegie
95. “I’d rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I’m not.” — Kurt Cobain
96. “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.” – Mark Twain
97. “Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.” — Buddha
98. “You and only you are responsible for your life choices and decisions.” – Robert Kiyosaki
99. “Sometimes solitude is one of the most beautiful things on earth — Charles Bukowski
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Charles Bukowski quotes to help you see life from a brand new perspective.
100. “Great hopes make great men.” – Thomas Fuller
We also have a collection of love quotes for him to help you make your man feel special. Be sure to also read that.
Good man quotes to elevate your mind
101. “If you perform the sacrifice of doing your duty, you do not have to do anything else. Devoted to duty, man attains perfection.” – Bhagavad Gita
102. “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.” – Abraham Lincoln
103. “The most persevering becomes the most talented.” – Maxime Lagacé
104. “The greater the success, the more it was due to one thing: focus.” – Shane Parrish
105. “The crucial thing is to find a truth which is truth for me, to find the idea for which I am willing to live and die.” – Søren Kierkegaard
106. “All fortune belongs to him who has a contented mind.” – The Panchatantra
107. “Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.” – Bruce Lee
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Bruce Lee quotes from the iconic actor and fighter.
108. “Manhood is the defeat of childhood narcissism.”- David Gilmore
109. “The ignorant work for their own profit; the wise work for the welfare of the world, without thought for themselves.” – Bhagavad Gita
110. “Every day is a new life to the wise man.”-Dale Carnegie
Good man quotes to motivate you
111. “A person can achieve everything by being simple and humble.” – The Vedas
112. “There is nothing with which every man is so afraid as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming.” – Søren Kierkegaard
113. “You will earn the respect of all men if you begin by earning the respect of yourself.” – Musonius Rufus
114. “You don’t succeed by being perfect. You succeed by doing good work, consistently.” – Thibaut
115. “If you want to save the world, save your little corner of the world.” – Naval Ravikant
116. “Every man of courage is a man of his word.”- Pierre Corneille
117. “What you aim at determines what you see.” – Jordan Peterson
118. “Work hard, be honest, help people, never give up, love your fellow man and woman, give back to society, and don’t ever discriminate.”-Jesse White
119. “You should think in such a way that everybody could look into your soul and see what is transpiring there.” – Seneca
120. “Most people give up right before the big break comes– don’t let that person be you.”-Michael Boyle
Good man quotes that will spur you to action
121. “Do what you can, where you are, with what you have.” – Theodore Roosevelt
122. “I believe the first test of a truly great man is in his humility.” — John Ruskin
123. “Men’s best successes come after their disappointments.” – Henry Ward Beecher
124. “In the face of inhumanity, a good man reacts, but a great one acts.” — James Rollins
125. “Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” – Og Mandino
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of determination quotes to help you keep moving forward.
126. “A great man is always willing to be little.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
127. “Change your life today. Don”t gamble on the future, act now, without delay.” – Simone de Beauvoir
128. “Strive not to be a success, but rather to be a value.” — Albert Einstein
129. “The man who has no imaginations has no wings.” — Muhammad Ali
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Muhammad Ali quotes on life, love and being a champion.
130. “As a general rule, it pays to be confident, helpful and nice.” — Colin Wright
Other good man quotes and sayings
131. “Your life will become better by making other lives better.” – Will Smith
132. “A great man does not seek applause or place; he seeks for truth; he seeks the road to happiness, and what he ascertains, he gives to others.” — Robert Green Ingersoll
133. “Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.” – Pablo Picasso
134. “It makes a big difference when men respect women. There are a lot of men who don’t, so that’s the main quality that would make a good man a great man.” — Stephanie Sigman
135. “A young man without ambition is an old man waiting to be.” – Steven Brust
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of ambition quotes to set your sights sky high.
136. “It takes a great man to give sound advice tactfully, but a greater to accept it graciously.” — Logan Pearsall Smith
137. “Believe in yourself. Have faith in your abilities. Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your powers you cannot be successful or happy.” – Norman Vincent Peale
138. “A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.” — George Bernard Shaw
139. “Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” — Socrates
140. “Don’t hide your scars, they make you who you are.” — Frank Sinatra
Which of these good man quotes was your favorite?
All men want to be respected. But for people to show you more respect, you must first become the man that you know you can be.
It’s easier said than done, but you can become a man who progresses with the right intentions. Hopefully, the quotes above have inspired you to become the best version of yourself.
Which of these good man quotes and sayings resonated with you best? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Feel free to share with us in the comment section below.
February 17, 2021 6:00 AM EST