You will enjoy our Mark Nepo quotes if you love beautifully expressed sentiments.
Mark Nepo is an internationally recognized poet and spiritual advisor whose work has touched the hearts of millions.
Check out our Mark Nepo quotes below.
You might also enjoy these related articles:
Who is Mark Nepo?
Mark Nepo is a man who is inspired to inspire people.
As an author, he has sold millions of copies of books.
He wrote The Book of Awakening, a New York Times number one best seller.
As a poet, his work is enjoyed and studied worldwide.
Check out these Mark Nepo quotes below:
- He has published twenty-five books.
- Mark’s books have been translated into over twenty languages.
- Mark was named one of the 100 most spiritually influential living people.
Mark employs storytelling to teach valuable lessons and open up the minds of audiences and students.
What does Mark Nepo believe?
Nepo believes in you!
He believes every human has the tools and skills needed to make the best life possible for themselves.
He encourages his audiences to redefine their reality by taking responsibility.
He once said, “When the sweet ache of being alive, lodged between who you are and who you will be, is awakened, befriend this moment.”
He goes on to add, “It will guide you. Its sweetness is what holds you. Its ache is what moves you on.”
Did Mark Nepo work with Oprah?
Mark was part of Oprah Winfrey’s The Life You Want Tour
They toured the country together in 2014, reaching millions of people.
The tour’s mission was to inspire people to recognize their inner strength and take steps to live the life they want in the present.
He has appeared many times on Oprah Winfrey Network TV.
Mark is a frequent guest on her Super Soul Sunday.
To learn more, check out our Mark Nepo quotes below.
Check out our collection of Oprah Winfrey quotes if you enjoy this article.
Short Mark Nepo quotes about life’s journey
Nepo reminds us to live in the present and explore the unknown.
1. “Pursue the obstacle. It will set you free.” — Mark Nepo
2. “When we heal ourselves, we heal the world.” — Mark Nepo
3. “There are no wrong turns, only unexpected paths.” — Mark Nepo
4. “The broken door lets in the light. The broken heart lets in the world.” — Mark Nepo
5. “Repetition is not failure. Ask the waves, ask the leaves, ask the wind.” — Mark Nepo
The best Mark Nepo quotes about the present moment
As a poet, Mark Nepo encourages us to live our best life in the now.
6. “Everything in life opens and closes, sheds and renews. We are no different.” — Mark Nepo
7. “What will you do today, knowing that you are one of the rarest forms of life to ever walk the Earth?” — Mark Nepo
8. “How will you carry yourself? What will you do with your hands? Tomorrow you could die, but today you are precious and rare and awake.” — Mark Nepo
9. “Grateful and awake, ask what you need to know now. Say what you feel now. Love what you love now.” — Mark Nepo
10. “There are many ways that we grow, but there are two major ways: We shed what no longer works, or we’re broken open.” — Mark Nepo
The top Mark Nepo quotes about the importance of listening
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. There is power in listening.
11. “In the practice of our days, to listen is to lean in, softly, with a willingness to be changed by what we hear.” — Mark Nepo
12. “My own time on earth has led me to believe in two powerful instruments that turn experience into love: holding and listening.” — Mark Nepo
13. “Listening in its endless forms is the way we stay open, the way we stay in relationship, the way we refresh who we are and what we’re doing here.” — Mark Nepo
14. “To listen is to continually give up all expectation and to give our attention, completely and freshly, to what is before us, not really knowing what we will hear or what that will mean.” — Mark Nepo
15. “For every time I have held or been held, every time I have listened or been listened to, experience burns like wood in that eternal fire, and I find myself in the presence of love. This has always been so.” — Mark Nepo
Famous Mark Nepo quotes about water and a desire to change
An old saying says you never step into the same river twice. These Mark Nepo quotes encourage us to always be willing to adjust and change like water.
16. “If we’re unwilling to shed, then we will be broken open.” — Mark Nepo
17. “I think that through suffering, human beings are eroded to our beauty.” — Mark Nepo
18. “Through shedding, we are worn down, just as nature is eroded to its beauty.” — Mark Nepo
19. “But the water, the glorious water everywhere, has taught me that we are more than what we reflect or love.” — Mark Nepo
20. “Water reflects everything it encounters. This is so commonplace that we think water is blue, when in fact it has no color.” — Mark Nepo
Mark Nepo quotes and sayings about happiness and light
These Mark Nepo quotes remind us that satisfaction is wherever we seek to look for it.
21. “The key to knowing joy is being easily pleased.” — Mark Nepo
22. “This is the work of compassion: to embrace everything clearly without imposing who we are and without losing who we are.” — Mark Nepo
23. “Light is in both the broken bottle and the diamond, and music is in both the flowing violin and the water dripping from the drainage pipe.” — Mark Nepo
24. “Yes, God is under the porch as well as on top of the mountain, and joy is in both the front row and the bleachers, if we are willing to be where we are.” — Mark Nepo
25. “The further I wake into this life, the more I realize that God is everywhere and the extraordinary is waiting quietly beneath the skin of all that is ordinary.” — Mark Nepo
Did Mark Nepo get cancer?
Yes, Mark Nepo is a cancer survivor.
Almost three decades ago, he discovered a lump on the back of his head which would get diagnosed as cancer.
He remembers, “Back 26 years ago, I was in a former life and a former marriage, and I had this lump start to grow, and it was huge.”
Nepo’s story reminds us that we can live several lifetimes in one lifespan.
His transformation journey reached a milestone moment when he learned of his cancer diagnosis.
He shared that it surprised him, “I had never been ill; I had a lot going on, and I didn’t really pay much attention.”
Nepo’s life-changing diagnosis reminds all of us that our lives can change in the blink of an eye.
We should take nothing for granted and do our best to express gratitude for what we have.
Nepo laments, “When I went to go back out that door, it was gone. “There was no way to get back to the life I had lived. Everything had changed.”
Nepo has spent a large portion of his life helping people make the most of the time they have.
Do you have a favorite Mark Nepo quote?
Please be sure to let us know in the comments section below.