This “water quotes” collection will inspire you to keep moving towards your goals and dreams no matter what obstacles stand in your path.
Water is vital for all forms of life. Although it provides no calories or organic nutrients, water plays an important role in our world. It is the centerpiece of all life.
As we strive for a happier and more fulfilling life, we can draw a lot of inspiration from water. Despite being soft and humble, it cuts through hard rocks because of its patience and persistence.
So when life throws obstacles in your way, be like water and either cut through them or form a new path that will lead you to your goals and dreams.
To give you the motivation you need to keep flowing, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and thoughtful water quotes, water
Don’t forget to also read our selection of inspirational rain quotes.
Water quotes honoring the flow of life
1. “Nothing is softer or more flexible than water, yet nothing can resist it.” – Lao Tzu
2. “Many a calm river begins as a turbulent waterfall, yet none hurtles and foams all the way to the sea.” – Mikhail Lermontov
3. “A drop of water, if it could write out its own history, would explain the universe to us.” – Lucy Larcom
4. “Where the waters do agree, it is quite wonderful the relief they give.” ― Jane Austen
5. “The fall of dropping water wears away the Stone.” – Lucretius
6. “A lake carries you into recesses of feeling otherwise impenetrable.” ― William Wordsworth
7. “It is life, I think, to watch the water. A man can learn so many things.” ― Nicholas Sparks
8. “In rivers, the water that you touch is the last of what has passed and the first of that which comes; so with present time.”― Leonardo da Vinci
9. “When the well’s dry, we know the worth of water.” – Benjamin Franklin
10. “Water is sufficient…the spirit moves over water.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
Water quotes to inspire your day
11. “This life is like a swimming pool. You dive into the water, but you can’t see how deep it is.” – Dennis Rodman (see more Dennis Rodman quotes and sayings)
12. “You swam in a river of chance and coincidence. You clung to the happiest accidents—the rest you let float by.” – David Wroblewski
13. “They both listened silently to the water, which to them was not just water, but the voice of life, the voice of Being, the voice of perpetual Becoming.”― Hermann Hesse
14. “When life places stones in your path, be the water. A persistent drop of water will wear away even the hardest stone.” ― Autumn Morning Star
15. “Human nature is like water. It takes the shape of its container.” ― Wallace Stevens
16. “When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.” – Rumi
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Rumi quotes from the iconic poet.
17. “You are water I’m water we’re all water in different containers that’s why it’s so easy to meet someday we’ll evaporate together.” ― Yoko Ono
18. “Thousands have lived without love, not one without water.”― W. H. Auden
19. “Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children’s lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land.” – Luna Leopold
20. “All water is holy water.” ― Rajiv Joseph
You might also like these sea quotes to invoke depth and exploration.
Water quotes about life and progress
21. “I love the sounds and the power of pounding water, whether it is the waves or a waterfall.” – Mike May
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of waves quotes for surfers & beach lovers.
22. “Until justice rolls down like water and righteousness like a mighty stream.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.
23. “Do not feel sad for your tears as rocks never regret the waterfalls” ― Munia Khan
24. “Love, like a river, will cut a new path whenever it meets an obstacle.” – Crystal Middlemas
25. “Run wild and free like a waterfall” ― Anamika Mishra
26. “Life is like the ocean, it goes up and down.”― Vanessa Paradis
27. “Water is sacred to all Human Beings. If you do not have water, you cannot have
28. “Always be like
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of dance quotes to help you find the perfect words about movement.
29. “Water is the mother of the vine, the nurse and fountain of fecundity, the adorner
30. “When the water is calm, take as much distance as possible with your boat!” ― Mehmet Murat
Water quotes to help you move forward
31. “You can’t cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water.” – Rabindranath Tagore
32. “A river cuts through
33. “In one drop of water are found all the secrets of all the oceans; in one aspect of you are found all the aspects of existence.” ― Kahlil Gibran
34. “Water is the most perfect
35. “Life in us is like the water in a river.” ― Henry David Thoreau
36. “Water is soft and humble, but it is the most powerful and is the most endurable.” ― Debasish Mridha
37. “You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.”― Mahatma Gandhi
Don’t forget to also check out these sky quotes for those who marvel the world above.
38. “Water is the lifeblood of our bodies, our economy, our nation
39. “Pure water is the world’s first and foremost medicine.” – Slovakian Proverb
40. “Water was liquid silver, water was gold. It was clarity—a sacred thing.” ― Aspen Matis
Interesting quotes about water and life
41. “I have seen the sea when it is storm and wild; when it is quiet and serene when it is dark and moody. And in all these moods, I see myself.” – Martin Buxbaum
42. “The places where water comes together with other water. Those places stand out in my mind like holy places.” ― Raymond Carve
43. “Water is such a lifesaver into which we cannot breathe but without taking it into us we cannot live” ― Munia Khan
44. “Water is the driving force in nature.” ― Leonardo da Vinci
45. “No water, no life. No blue, no green.” – Sylvia Earle
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of blue quotes about the power of colors.
46. “Therefore, just as water retains no constant shape, so in
47. “Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean.”― Ryunosuke Satoro
48. “In my life, water has had the character of punctuation.” ― Sue Ellen Campbell
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of character quotes about the power of integrity.
49. “The sea is captive in a drop of water.” ― Marty Rubin
50. “The water tells none of its secrets.” ― Nikos Engonopoulos
Inspirational water quotes to help you move forward
51. “Water, in all its forms, is what carries the knowledge of life throughout the universe.”― Anthony T. Hincks
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of inspirational quotes that will brighten your day.
52. “I believe that water is the closest thing to a god we have here on Earth. We are in awe of its power and majestic beauty. We are drawn to it as if it’s a magical, healing force. We gestate in water, are made of water, and need to drink water to live. We are living in water.”― Alex Z. Moores
53. “I am like the water that runs over me, immune to permanence, recycling endlessly. I am water; I am life. The form may change, but the substance stays the same. Strike me down and I will rise again. Vincit qui patitur.”― Rick Yancey
54. “Water belongs to us all. Nature did not make the sun one person’s property, nor air, nor water, cool and clear.”― Michael Simpson
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of cool quotes about keeping a relaxed mind.
55. “The water was pure and cold and came out of the Apennines tasting like snow melted in the hands of a pretty girl.”― Pat Conroy
56. “Clean water is inestimably precious to waste!”― Mohith Agadi
57. “Water liked to be free. . . Water hated being trapped, just like Percy.”― Rick Riordan
58. “Water is the reason of our birth; it is the healer, the destroyer and the final consumer.”― Neeraj Singhvi
59. “Without water, life would just be rock.”― Anthony T. Hincks
60. “Be like water, which is fluid & soft & yielding, as in time, water will overcome rock which is rigid & hard. Therefor, what is soft is strong.”― Anonymous
61. “Water is always working, reorganizing the land.”― Tim Palmer
62. “I was still water, held by my surroundings.
I am now a river, carving my own path.”― Scott Stabile
63. “A calm water is like a still soul.”― Lailah Gifty Akita
64. “You can not hide on an island and expect that water will not find you.”― Chuck Bridges
65. “Water! You may not like it, but you have to drink it.”― Anthony T. Hincks
Water quotes that will broaden your thoughts
66. “Water is life’s matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water.” – Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
67. “The water is a dark flower and a fisherman is a bee in the heart of her.”
― Annie Proulx
68. “The sound of water is worth more than all the poets’ words.” – Octavio Paz
69. “The water caresses in the glass, like love in the body.”― Charles de Leusse
70. “A pool is water, made available and useful, and is, as such, infinitely soothing to the western eye.” – Joan Didion
71. “Make hope just like water in your life”― Khaled Ibrahim
72. “Why was it that the sight of water made everything in the world seem okay? She wanted to look at water every day.”― E.C. Diskin
73. “Water wants to join water. Youth wants to join youth.”― Hermann Hesse
74. “The person who despises a drop of water is an utter ignorant who doesn’t know that billions of tiny creatures in this world can live with one water drop for days!”― Mehmet Murat ildan
75. “Whoever thirst for the living Water shall be quench.”― Lailah Gifty Akita
Thoughtful water quotes
76. “Water is my drink.” – Stephen Curry
77. “I am like water so to say, I will find my way!”― Md. Ziaul Haque
78. “My desk faces the water, and I’m perfectly happy sitting there. I’m never lonely.” – Tom Stoppard
79. “When water falls, it flies.”― Anthony T. Hincks
80. “I could float in the pool for hours, just letting the water carry me.” – Jill Scott
81. “If the earth is a mother then rivers are her veins.”― Amit Kalantri
82. “How one raindrop marries the other and forms an ocean of love.”― Suyasha Subedi
83. “Water in the boat is the ruin of the boat, but water under the boat is its support.”― Jalaluddin Rumi
84. “Be like water. Flow, crash, fly!”― Md. Ziaul Haque
85. “Water is colourless like life.”― Lailah Gifty Akita
Water quotes that will get you thinking
86. “In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.” – Benjamin Franklin
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of wine quotes to celebrate over your favorite glass.
87. “I have left almost to the last the magic of water, an element which owing to its changefulness of form and mood and colour and to the vast range of its effects is ever the principal source of landscape beauty, and has like music a mysterious influence over the mind.” – Sir George Sitwell
88. “Do you ever feel like you’re getting sick, and then you have a glass of water and you’re like, ‘oh, that’s why people drink that.’” – Dina Hashem
89. “Water is the most extraordinary substance! Practically all its properties are anomalous, which enabled life to use it as building material for its machinery. Life is water dancing to the tune of solids.” – Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
90. “My therapist set half a glass of water in front of me. He asked if I was an optimist or a pessimist. So, I drank the water and told him I was a problem solver.” – Unknown
91. “Water is insipid, inodorous, colorless and smooth.” – Edmund Burke
92. “No one can see their reflection in running water. It is only in still water that we can see.” – Taoist proverb
93. “Water sustains all.” – Thales of Miletus
94. “In order to reflect, think and plan, you must quiet yourself. You can’t see your reflection in churning waters. Water must be still to see your reflection.” – Karen Susman, The Remarkable Networking Toolbox
95. “A man of wisdom delights in water.” – Confucius
Thought-provoking water quotes
96. “Do not turn me into restless waters you cannot promise to be my stream.”― Sanober Khan
97. “We forget that the water cycle and the life cycle are one.” — Jacques Yves Cousteau
98. “There’s plenty of water in the universe without life, but nowhere is there life without water.” — Sylvia A. Earle
99. “Water is the only drink for a wise man.” —Henry David
100. “Water is the best of all things.” — Pindar
101. “Only a fool tests the depth of the water with both feet.” —African Proverb
102. “If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water.” — Loren Eiseley
103. “When the water starts boiling it is foolish to turn off the heat.” —Nelson Mandela
104. “Drinking water is essential to a healthy lifestyle.” — Stephen Curry
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of health quotes expressing the power of making healthy choices.
105. “To put your hands in a river is to feel the chords that bind the earth together.” —Barry Lopez
Insightful water quotes
106. “Water is life, and clean water means health.” — Audrey Hepburn
107. “It is wise to bring some water when one goes out to look for water.” —Arab Proverb
108. “Life depends on water, but the reservoir depends on you.” — Unknown
109. “A drop of water is worth more than a sack of gold to a thirsty man.” —Unknown
110. “My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.” — Mitch Hedberg
111. “All the water that will ever be is, right now.” —National Geographic
112. “Every drop in the ocean counts.” — Yoko Ono
113. “He that has satisfied his thirst turns his back on the well.” —Baltasar Gracian
114. “Water is the soul of the Earth.” — W. H. Auden
115. “The people are like water and the ruler a boat. Water can support a boat or overturn it.” —William Shakespeare
Water quotes to inspire you to flow
116. “As many raindrops join to form a great river of water, many souls join their highest intent to form the river of evolved consciousness.” – Jonathan Lockwood Huie
117. “You don’t drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.” – Edwin Louis Cole
118. “No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it’s not the same river and he’s not the same man.” – Heraclitus
119. “Many drops make a bucket, many buckets make a pond, many ponds make a lake, and many lakes make an ocean.” – Percy Ross
120. “I would love to live like a river flows, carried by the surprise of its own unfolding.” – John O’Donohue
121. “Perhaps the truth depends on a walk around the lake.” – Wallace Stevens
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of lake quotes to bring your life peace.
122. “The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.” – Isak Dinesen
123. “There’s hope at the bottom of the biggest waterfall.” – Patrick Ness
124. “Water links us to our neighbor in a way more profound and complex than any other.” – John Thorson
125. “To understand water is to understand the cosmos, the marvels of nature, and life itself.” – Masaru Emoto
Powerful water quotes
126. “Water is the driving force of all nature.” – Leonardo da Vinci
127. “Like roots finding water, we always wind up moving towards what sustains us.” – Mark Nepo
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of moving quotes about the power of a new environment.
128. “We never know the worth of water till the well is dry.” – Thomas Fuller
129. “Rivers, ponds, lakes and streams – they all have different names, but they all contain water. Just as religions do – they all contain truths.” – Muhammad Ali
130. “River is time in water; as it came, still so it flows, yet never is the same.” – Barten Holyday
131. “The lake and the mountains have become my landscape, my real world.” – Georges Simenon
132. “Clean water, the essence of life and a birthright for everyone, must become available to all people now.” – Jean-Michel Cousteau
133. “Just let go – and fall like a little waterfall.” – Bob Ross
134. “The deeper the waters are, the more still they run.” – Korean Proverb
135. “When I sit here by the sea and listen to the sound of waves, I feel free from all obligations and people of this world.” – Henry David Thoreau
More water quotes and sayings
136. “I have seen the sea when it is storm and wild; when it is quiet and serene when it is dark and moody. And in all these moods, I see myself.” – Martin Buxbaum
137. “Love, like a river, will cut a new path whenever it meets an obstacle.” – Crystal Middlemas
138. “A Woman in harmony with her spirit is like a river flowing. She goes where she will without pretense and arrives at her destination prepared to be herself and only herself.” – Maya Angelou
139. “Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there someday.” – A. A. Milne
140. “Surrender to the flow of the River of Life, yet do not float down the river like a leaf or a log. While neither attempting to resist life nor to hurry it, become the rudder and use your energy to correct your course to avoid the whirlpools and undertow.” – Jonathan Lockwood Huie
141. “I understand that everything is connected, that all roads meet, and that all rivers flow into the same sea.” – Paulo Coelho
142. “Wondering if you are Love is like the ocean wondering if it is water.” – Unknown
143. “Going with the flow is responding to cues from the universe. When you go with the flow, you’re surfing Life’s force. It’s about wakeful trust and total collaboration with what’s showing up for you.” – Danielle LaPorte
144. “Water is fluid, soft and yielding. But water will wear away rock, which is rigid and cannot yield. As a rule, whatever is fluid, soft and yielding will overcome whatever is rigid and hard. This is another paradox: what is soft is strong.” – Lau Tzu
145. “When I sit here by the sea and listen to the sound of waves, I feel free from all obligations and people of this world.” – Henry Thoreau
Which of these water quotes was your favorite?
Water is the driving force in nature. It’s the lifeblood of humanity, our nations, our economies and our well-being.
Water represents life. It’s a symbol of love, purity, fertility, life, motion, renewal, and transformation. We hope that the above quotes have inspired you to move forward in your life and live it to the fullest.
Did you enjoy these water quotes? Which of the quotes resonated with you best? Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it.
February 18, 2021 6:00 AM EST