Whether you love jewelry, science, or money, you’ll find these gold quotes interesting.
There sure is a lot to be said about that one little word.
While it’s an element that appears on the periodic table throughout life, it has become so much more than that.
Tell us your favorite gold quote in the comment section below.
What are the benefits of reading these gold quotes?
Gold has long been connected with wealth and riches.
From ancient Egyptian relics to the jewelry of our current day, gold is something that people have sought after from what appears to be as far back as we can go.
Gold is important because:
- it has actual monetary/currency value (social construct)
- there is a lot of symbolic value
- it is relatively scarce and difficult to mine/extract
Whatever reason you’re interested in gold, these quotes show the many sides of it.
Don’t forget to check out these diamond quotes about lasting forever and shining bright.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Look through our complete collection of inspirational quotes here.
Gold Quotes About Humans and Reality
1. “Don’t gain the world and lose your soul; wisdom is better than silver and gold.” – Bob Marley
2. “It’s health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver.” – Mahatma Gandhi
3. “Gold medals aren’t really made of gold. They’re made of sweat, determination and a hard to find alloy called guts.” – Dan Gable
4. “All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.” – J.R. Tolkien
5. “Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold.” – Leo Tolstoy
6. “Fire is the test of gold; adversity, of strong men.” – Martha Graham
7. “But in truth, should I meet with gold or spices in great quantity, I shall remain till I collect as much as possible, and for this purpose, I am proceeding solely in quest of them.” – Christopher Columbus
8. “Everything has its limit—iron ore cannot be educated into gold.” – Mark Twain
9. “Praise, like gold and diamonds, owes its value only to its scarcity.” – Samuel Johnson
10. “The most pitiful among men is he who turns his dreams into silver and gold.” – Kahlil Gibran
11. “Brass shines as fair to the ignorant as gold to the goldsmiths.” – Elizabeth I
12. “Commodities such as gold and silver have a world market that transcends national borders, politics, religions, and race. A person may not like someone else’s religion, but he’ll accept his gold.” – Robert Kiyosaki
13. “The desire of gold is not for gold. It is for the means of freedom and benefit.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
14. “The desire for gold is the most universal and deeply rooted commercial instinct of the human race.” – Gerald Loeb
15. “Gold is a treasure, and he who possesses it does all he wishes to in this world and succeeds in helping souls into paradise.” – Christopher Columbus
You might also like these silver quotes about the shiny precious metal.
Gold Quotes from History
16. “O Zeus, why is it you have given men clear ways of testing whether gold is counterfeit but, when it comes to men, the body carries no stamp of nature for distinguishing bad from good.” ― Euripides
17. “When Gold argues the cause, eloquence is impotent.” – Publilius Syrus
18. “Gold loves to make its way through guards and breaks through barriers of stone more easily than the lightning’s bolt.” — Horace
19. “If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation and to raise the dead with tears, then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping.” — Sophocles
20. “Every man now worships gold, all other reverence being done away.” — Sextus Propertius
21. “There is no honest man — not one — that can resist the attraction of gold!” — Aristophanes
22. “Water is best, but gold shines like fire blazing in the night, supreme of lordly wealth.” — Pindar
23. “If speaking is silver, then listening is gold.” ― Turkish Proverb
24. “Not all that glitters is gold; not all that is sticky is tar.” — Lithuanian Proverb
25. “Where gold speaks, every tongue is silent.” — Italian Proverb
26. “Real gold is not afraid of the melting pot.” — Chinese Proverb
27. “If you are sick, think about your life; if you are better, think about your gold.” — Mongolian Proverb
Gold Quotes About Money and Politics
28. “We have gold because we cannot trust governments.” ― Herbert Hoover
29. “Fear, prejudice, malice, and the love of approbation bribe a thousand men where gold bribes one.” – Robert G. Ingersoll
30. “Gold is money. Everything else is credit.” – J. P. Morgan
31. “Never trust money more than gold.” ― Toba Beta
32. “A gold standard doesn’t imply stability in the prices of the goods and services that people buy every day, it implies a stability in the price of gold itself.” — Ben Bernanke
33. “Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants, but debt is the money of slaves.” — Norm Franz
34. “Although gold and silver are not by nature money, money is by nature gold and silver.” — Karl Marx
35. “Governments lie; bankers lie; even auditors sometimes lie. Gold tells the truth.” — Lord Rees Mogg
36. “The great merit of gold is precisely that it is scarce; that its quantity is limited by nature; that it is costly to discover, to mine and to process; and that it cannot be created by political fiat or caprice.” — Henry Hazlitt
37. “Gold will be around, gold will be money when the dollar and the euro and the yuan and the ringgit are mere memories.” — Richard Russell
38. “The modern mind dislikes gold because it blurts out unpleasant truths.” — Joseph Schumpeter
39. “Those who worship Gold in a world so corrupt as this we live in, have at least one thing to plead in defense of their idolatry — the power of their Idol.” – Charles Caleb Colton
40. “Gold would have value if for no other reason than that it enables a citizen to fashion his financial escape from the state.” — William F. Rickenbacker
Gold Quotes from Poets and Writers
41. “The anarch is on the side of gold. This is not to be construed as a lust for gold. He recognizes gold as the central and immobile power.” – Ernst Jünger
42. “I did not know that mankind were suffering for want of gold. I have seen a little of it. I know that it is very malleable, but not so malleable as wit. A grain of gold will gild a great surface, but not so much as a grain of wisdom.” ― Henry David Thoreau
43. “Pure gold does not rust. Only gold alloys do so. You may have golden dreams. But if you go in the company of toxic people, you become “a gold alloy” and what that means is that you can rust at any time!” ― Israelmore Ayivor
44. “The beauty about gold, though, is that in all states from uncertainty to conviction, it never for once gives up its luster.” ― Ufuoma Apoki
45. “Gold has at all times been considered the best of testimonies of good faith.” ― Rafael Sabatini
46. “Gold — what can it not do, and undo?” — William Shakespeare
47. “Gold is a living god and rules, in scorn, all earthly things but virtue.” — Percy Bysshe Shelley
48. “Gold gives to the ugliest thing a certain charming air, for that without it were else a miserable affair.” — Moliére
49. “Gold opens all locks. No lock will hold against the power of gold.” — George Herbert
50. “Beauty attracts us men, but if like an armed magnet it is pointed, beside, with gold and silver, it attracts with tenfold power.” — Jean Paul
Must Read Gold Quotes You Can Apply In Different Aspects Of Life
51. “All the gold which is under or upon the earth is not enough to give in exchange for virtue.” — Plato
52. “For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.” — Martin Luther
53. “Gold is so heavy it settles down upon the lowest souls.” — Austin O’Malley
54. “Happiness resides not in possessions, and not in gold. Happiness dwells in the soul.” — Democritus
55. “It was not by gold or by silver, but by labor, that all wealth of the world was originally purchased.” — Adam Smith
56. “Gold will be slave or master.” – Horace
57. “I like gold because it is a stabilizer; it is an insurance policy.” – Kevin O’Leary
58. “The finest compliment you can pay a man is that his word was as good as gold.” – Evel Knievel
59. “They don’t give you gold medals for beating somebody. They give you gold medals for beating everybody.” — Michael Johnson
60. “Gold is forever. It is beautiful, useful, and never wears out. Small wonder that gold has been prized over all else, in all ages, as a store of value that will survive the travails of life and the ravages of time.” — James Blakeley
Some Good Gold Quotes Worth Quoting
61. “I have seen flowers come in stony places And kind things done by men with ugly faces, And the gold cup won by the worst horse at the races, So I trust, too.” — John Masefield
62. “There is no intrinsic worth in money but what is alterable with the times, and whether a guinea goes for twenty pounds or for a shilling, it is the labor of the poor and not the high and low value that is set on gold or silver, which all the comforts of life must arise from.” — Bernard De Mandeville
63. “What was worth saving? Not as much as you’d anticipated, once you got into the spirit of paperlessness. Pile up those minecarts with fool’s gold. The thing that’s worth keeping is the thing you do next.” — Nick Paumgarten
64. “The respect that is only bought by gold is not worth much.”— Frances Harper
65. “Your name and your reputation is all that you have, so guard them. They are worth more than money or gold.” — Michelle
66. “Wisdom is worth more than gold.” — Lailah Gifty Akita
67. “There is potential for boundless good in the boy I knew. Trust that the man you see now is a shadow of what lies beneath. If you would, give him the love that will enable him to see it for himself. To a lost soul, such a treasure is worth its weight in gold. Worth its weight in dreams.” — Renee Ahdieh
68. “I think the mental victory is worth it as much as a gold medal.” — Cameron Van Der Burgh
69. “Life is the most precious of all treasures. Even one extra day of life is worth more than ten million Ryo of gold.” — Nichiren
70 “A rat in its stealing behavior may manage to steal gold jewelry and to make a nest with it but that does not in any way qualify the rat to be a millionaire though its gold pieces be worth that much.” — Newton Gatambia
Gold Quotes To Celebrate Wins
71. “Recommend to your children virtue; that alone can make them happy, not gold.” — Ludwig van Beethoven
72. “Gold gives an appearance of beauty even to ugliness: But with poverty everything becomes frightful.” — Nicolas Boileau-Despreaux
73. “I have to follow my thoughts and mine for the gold. I have to dig it out.” — Bill Cosby
74. “I wouldn’t say that there’s ever been an Olympic champion that didn’t deserve to win an Olympic Gold Medal.” — Dorothy Hamill
75. “I graduated at the top of my class in the ’84 Olympic Games; I won a gold medal.” — Scott Hamilton
76. “Yellow-colored objects appear to be gold.” — Aristotle
77. “She Got The Gold Mine, I Got the Shaft.” — Jerry Reed
78. “A great smile is a wonderful asset, but a good heart is pure gold.” — Dolly Parton
79. “That is gold which is worth gold.” — George Herbert
80. “There is no brilliant single stroke that is going to transform the water into wine or straw into gold.” — Coleman Young
Gold Quotes About The Might Worth of Gold
81. “I am a drop of gold he would say I am molten matter returned from the core of earth to tell you interior things.” ― Anne Carson
82. “Find me a reasonable lover against his weight in gold.” ― Plautus
83. “All in green went my love of riding on a great horse of gold into the silver dawn.” ― E. E. Cummings
84. “You have a heart of gold and I am kneeling in your bloodstream panning for the only thing that has ever felt like home.” ― Andrea Gibson
85. “They’d blame a castoff just for breathing. You could be good as gold and they’d still blame you.” ― Paolo Bacigalupi
86. “Too many people miss the silver lining because they’re expecting gold.” ― Maurice Setters
87. “Find a pile of gold and sit on it.” ― John Gardner
88. “Now I had won the gold medal. But it didn’t mean anything, because I didn’t have the right color skin.” ― Muhammad Ali
89. “Gold don’t come off. What’s good stays good no matter how much of a beating it takes.” ― Joe Hill
90. “That’s the shame about Miles Copeland; he’s evil, but he’s got a heart of gold.” ― Dave Wakeling
Which of these gold quotes is your favorite?
Gold can be good, and it can be bad.
Some people have a tendency to get too caught up in trying to find gold or money.
It takes over their life.
In the 1800s, the Gold Rush caused many people to leave parts of their lives behind in search of finding riches.
Some struck it big and changed their future, but many made sacrifices in search of gold and were left with nothing but regrets.
Regardless of how people feel about riches, there just seems to be something about gold that attracts people to its beauty of it.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these gold quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.