Enliven and invigorate your authentic self with our revival quotes.
A revival means to rejuvenate, reenergize or bring something back to life.
Check out our revival quotes to learn more.
Revivals have had an exciting history, and our revival quotes will remind you of their significance.
A revival can be literal, such as when medical professionals resuscitate someone who is clinically dead or when one performs CPR on someone who is not breathing.
Spiritual r are similar but do not involve physically life-threatening conditions.
Both nationally and abroad, religious revivals have impacted entire generations of people.
Check out these interesting facts about revivals below:
- The United States has a long history of revival culture.
- Members of the church believe revival to be an act of God.
- Many religious followers believe authentic revival cannot be scheduled.
What are Christian Revivals?
Christian revivals occur when natural spiritual interest increases with renewal in the life of a church congregation or society, with a local, national, or global effect.
In the Christian sense, revivals can also refer to evangelistic meetings between leaders and congregation members.
Some church members put great energy into organizing revivals for large groups of people.
But is it possible to organize an authentic revival?
Some, like Dr. Steven R. Cook, suggest, “For revival to be true according to Scripture, whether personal or corporate, it must start with the communication and positive reception of God’s Word.”
Many Christians agree that for revival to manifest, people must be in tune with their heart’s feelings.
Cook notes, “When there is positive volition in the hearts of people, it will lead to regeneration of the lost through evangelism and godly reforms among the saved.”
Many devout Christians believe revival cannot be predicted or scheduled and must manifest naturally when people feel inspired by spirit.
To learn more, check out our revival quotes below.
Short Revival Quotes
Revivals are designed to motivate people’s passion, and these quotes remind us why.
1. “I think water transport will see a revival.” — James Howard Kunstler
2. “A revival of religion presupposes a declension.” — Charles Finney, Lectures On Revivals Of Religion
3. “The conservative revival cannot be dismissed.” — Christopher Lasch
4. “Any revival in which I am involved is liable to change.” — Tom Stoppard
5. “Revival is not just a feeling of excitement of the Lord.” — Jerry Falwell
6. “We have to have a revival of the concept’ truth matters.’” — Charlie Sykes
7. “As long as we are content to live without revival, we will.” — Leonard Ravenhill
8. “A revival is nothing else than a new beginning of obedience to God.” — Charles Finney, Lectures On Revivals Of Religion
9. “They tell me a revival is only temporary; so is a bath, but it does you good.” — Billy Sunday
10. “Present-day wickedness, apostasy, and modern civilization cannot prevent revival.” — John R. Rice
Check out our collection of Genesis quotes if you enjoy this article.
Famous Revival Quotes from American Preachers
These selections of revival quotes come from American preachers from Christian churches.
11. “When there is a spirit of controversy in the church or in the land, a revival is needful.” — Charles Finney, Lectures On Revivals Of Religion
12. “When Holy God draws near in true revival, people come under terrible conviction of sin.” — Henry Blackaby
13. “When is a revival needed? When carelessness and unconcern keep the people asleep.” — Billy Sunday
14. “Revival is when God gets so sick and tired of being misrepresented that he shows himself.” — Leonard Ravenhill
15. “Any true revival can be proven by the fact that it changed the moral climate of an area or nation.” — Leonard Ravenhill
16. “Revival is an infusion of new spiritual life imparted by the Holy Spirit to existing parts of Christ’s body.” — Richard Lovelace
17. “There is need of a great revival of spiritual life, of truly fervent devotion to our Lord Jesus, of entire consecration to His service.” — Andy Murray
18. “Revival is a renewed conviction of sin and repentance, followed by an intense desire to live in obedience to God. It is giving up one’s will to God in deep humility.” — Charles Finney
19. “A true revival means nothing less than a revolution, casting out the spirit of worldliness and selfishness, and making God and His love triumph in the heart and life.” — Andrew Murray
20. “Oh, what responsibility this lays on the Church of God! If you grieve Him away from yourselves or hinder His visit, then the poor perishing world suffers sorely!” — Andrew Bonar
Top Spiritual Revival Quotes and Sayings
Revivals are known to awaken latent energy inside people.
21. “A revival means days of heaven upon earth.” — David Lloyd-Jones
22. “The blues, the sound of a sinner on revival day.” — William Christopher Handy
23. “During true revival, thousands of lost people are suddenly swept into the Kingdom of God.” — Henry Blackaby
24. “What America needs is not just another politician or more promises. What America needs is a revival.” — Rand Paul
25. “We get excited about many things, but excitement is not a revival if God is not the thing that gets us excited.” — Jerry Falwell
26. “I discovered that no revival comes if we don’t preach the Word of God under the anointing of the Holy Spirit.” — Reinhard Bonnke
27. “All revival begins and continues in the prayer meeting. Some have also called prayer the “great fruit of revival.” — Henry Blackaby
28. “Revival is the visitation of God which brings to life Christians who have been sleeping and restores a deep sense of God’s near presence and holiness.” — J.I. Packer
29. “We cannot organize revival, but we can set our sails to catch the wind from Heaven when God chooses to blow upon His people once again.” — G. Campbell Morgan, My All In All
30. “A revival does two things. First, it returns the Church from her backsliding, and second, it causes the conversion of men and women; and it always includes the conviction of sin on the part of the Church. What a spell the devil seems to cast over the Church today!” — Billy Sunday
The Best Revival Quotes from Passionate People
These revival quotes are bound to get you going.
31. “From the start, Trump’s rallies had the air of the tent revival, that same hot thrum of militant exorcism and ecstasy.” — Ben Fountain
32. “Maud Gonne was, excuse me, Maud Gonne was central to the Gaelic literature revival. She wrote plays, and she sang.” — Derrick Jensen
34. “Charles Finney, the great 19th-century revivalist and evangelical, would have had a hard time preaching a revival in America today.” — Anthea Butler
35. “Revival of investor confidence and industrial development is, in my opinion, one of the biggest achievements of my government.” — Amarinder Singh
36. “I usually do a fair amount of research before I see a show on the history of previous productions if it’s a revival and the creative team.” — Ben Brantley
37. “This trend used to exist in Bengali playback where singers and composers would have their own hit series. I am thrilled that Bengal is seeing a revival of that trend.” — Jeet Gannguli
38. “Finney’s brand of evangelical fervor, called the ‘new measures,’ emphasized saving souls and reviving worship by incorporating elements of personal testimony and music into church services.” — Anthea Butler
39. “For decades, the GOP has faithfully served the rich, corporations, polluters, and purveyors of pure, unadulterated greed, and brought blue-collar white voters along for the ride with promises of cultural revival.” — Joy Reid
40. “Mother goddesses are just as silly a notion as father gods. If a revival of the myths of these cults gives women emotional satisfaction, it does so at the price of obscuring the real conditions of life. This is why they were invented in the first place.” — Angela Carter
Political Revival Quotes
These interesting quotes remind us why people are passionately engaged in political revivals.
41. “Lowered crime is a precondition to economic revival, not its consequence.” — Heather Mac Donald
42. “The comeback of true green olives was part of a Spanish food revival in the early 2000s.” — Bee Wilson
43. “Guys like The Revival have this chip on their shoulder, and I think that’s what you have to do.” — Christian Cage
44. “The drive toward economic nationalism is only part of the general revival of nationalism.” — Arthur Henderson
45. “In times of revival, thousands may be found on their knees for hours, lifting up their heartfelt cries, with thanksgiving, to heaven.” — Henry Blackaby
46. “We can be certain that cities around the world will compete for the jobs that the next revival of the financial services industry will bring.” — Michael Bloomberg
47.“The revival of Islam dates from the early years of the 20th century. It was brought about by their humiliation, by their sense of how low they’d fallen compared with the West.” — John Keegan
48. “I often haven’t heard the music since I’ve recorded it. I don’t listen to it. When I do hear it, like at someone’s house, I’ll listen. I’m probably the most into the stuff I did with New Grass Revival.” — Leon Russell
49. “On August 28, 2010, Fox News messiah Glenn Beck hosted a ‘Restoring Honor’ revival meeting featuring sexy guest star Sarah Palin, much as Bob Hope would roll out Raquel Welch in white go-go boots on his U.S.O. tours to give our fighting men a morale lift in their khakis.” — James Wolcott
50. “The Chinese nation reached the most dangerous period. Since then, countless people with lofty ideals to realize the great revival of the Chinese nation rose to resist and fight, but failed one time after another.” — Xi Jinping
The History of Revival in America
America has a complicated history of revivals.
In Christianity, the concept of revivals is derived from biblical narratives of national decline and restoration during the history of the Israelites.
Historians have identified and debated the impacts of national and global revivals on modern Church culture.
There have been several so-called “awakening periods” that have had impacts on society.
Some of these include the Welsh Revival, the Azusa St Revival, the Jesus People Revival, the Bario Revival, and the Chile Revival.
Many of these events had global impacts as they served to organize and spread missionaries across the globe.
Depending on who you ask, this has both helped and hurt the countries where these missionaries enter.
Today, revivals remain popular among the Church.
While the number of people who attend church or identify as Christian decreases, you can still easily access a revival in your area should you look for one.
What is your favorite revival quote?
Please be sure to let us know in the comments section below.