If the drama of real-life politics isn’t enough for you, you’ll love these House of Cards quotes and series.
House of Cards is a political thriller series on Netflix created by Beau Willimon.
The first season was released in 2013 and since then gathered tons of fans across the globe.
The smart and dark theme of this show gave out a fresh appeal to the audience.
In addition, its villainous portrayal of the main character, Frank Underwood, hits a perfect timing when all the shows out there at that time were about a generic heroic figure.
The House of Cards is set in the vicious world of US politics.
Although most of the events are purely work of fiction, some portrayals uncannily resemble the political weather in most democratic nations.
These House of Cards quotes will take you on a wild ride of betrayal, power, and manipulation.
Don’t forget to also check out these Bridgerton quotes from the hit period drama.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
Browse our entire collection of inspirational quotes for more motivating ideas and concepts.
House of Cards quotes from Frank Underwood
1. “The best thing about human beings is that they stack so neatly.” ― Frank Underwood
2. “I’ve always loathed the necessity of sleep. Like death, it puts even the most powerful men on their backs.” ― Frank Underwood
3. “From this moment on, you are a rock. You absorb nothing, you say nothing, and nothing breaks you.” ― Frank Underwood
4. “A great man once said, everything is about sex. Except for sex. Sex is about power.” ― Frank Underwood
5. “The nature of promises is that they remain immune to changing circumstances.” ― Frank Underwood
6. “The road to power is paved with hypocrisy and casualties. Never regret.” ― Frank Underwood
7. “Every kitten grows up to be a cat. They seem so harmless at first. Small, quiet, lapping up their saucer of milk. But once their claws get long enough, they draw blood. Sometimes from the hand that feeds them. For those of us climbing to the top of the food chain, there can be no mercy. There is but one rule: hunt or be hunted.” ― Frank Underwood
8. “Proximity to power deludes some into thinking they wield it.” ― Frank Underwood
9. “Democracy is so overrated.” ― Frank Underwood
10. “There’s no better way to overpower a trickle of doubt than with a flood of naked truth.” ― Frank Underwood
11. “There are two kinds of pain. The sort of pain that makes you strong, or useless pain. The sort of pain that’s only suffering. I have no patience for useless things.” ― Frank Underwood
House of Cards quotes from Claire Underwood
12. “I’m not worried about your brain. It’s your heart we’re talking about.” ― Claire Underwood
13. “The blood is on all of our hands, and doing nothing is the same as pulling a trigger.” ― Claire Underwood
14. “We need to dial up the terror…” — Claire Underwood
15. “Now, history judges every leader, every president, by how he or she treats his or her own people.” — Claire Underwood
16. “You know, it’s pure feeling for me. Light versus dark. And that line where they meet.” — Claire Underwood
House of Cards quotes from Tom Hammerschmidt
17. “Grief demands an answer, but sometimes there isn’t one.” ― Tom Hammerschmidt
18. “He was right about your soul. What’s in your bones. That you’re ruthless. You’re corrupt. You destroy whatever’s in your path.” — Tom Hammerschmidt
House of Cards quotes from Thomas Yates
19. “You could wake up tomorrow…and…I don’t know, feed the children…start a war…” — Thomas Yates
20. “He’s hiding something…but it doesn’t matter. He’s modern. He makes the presidency accessible. I mean, don’t you want to see the candidate stay up all night?” — Thomas Yates
House of Cards quotes from other characters
21. “Brave is never giving up. You fight, no matter what.” — Hannay Conway
22. “It’s good to have dreams, just so long as they’re not fantasies.” ― Freddy Hayes
23. “We both know something the rest of the world refuses to acknowledge. There is no justice, only conquest.” — Tian Jun Gu
24. “I’m not fucking you because I like you. I’m fucking you because I hate you.” — Laura Moretti
25. “But she is merciless. Single-minded as a single mind can be.” — Mark Usher
Which of these house of Cards quotes is your favorite?
This series has gained over 30 Primetime Emmy Award nominations due to its masterful execution of Shakespeare’s 4th wall break, which is well received by the fans.
Despite all of the dark political atmosphere of the show, it’s not about a tale of evil overcoming good but rather a critical approach that drives the question “is there more to politics than pure comedy and spectacle”.
The next time you think about politics, force yourself to take a deeper look at the motive of your favorite politician.
These House of Cards quotes and sayings will keep you entertained and critical of the dark side of politics.