Mental health refers to the state of our emotional, psychological, and social well-being.
It impacts the way we feel, think and act, making it important in all areas of our lives.
Mental health plays an important role in the way we deal with stress, how we relate to others, and the decisions we make in our daily lives.
Without positive mental health, it will be almost impossible to realize your full potential, work productively, make a meaningful contribution to your community, or handle the stress that comes with life.
So what can you do to ensure you have a healthy mental state?
Well, there are various ways to maintain positive mental health and live a more fulfilling and enjoyable life.
Besides seeking professional help if you need it, you should make time to connect with others, think positively about yourself and get physically active.
Also, make sure you get enough rest, you’re mindful of your present moment, and be helpful to others.
A healthy mental state will help you leverage your Everyday Power to achieve the success you seek and live a purposeful life.
Here are some inspirational mental health quotes to remind you of that.
Inspirational mental health quotes for happiness and success
1. “Mental health needs a great deal of attention. It’s the final taboo and it needs to be faced and dealt with.” – Adam Ant
2. “It’s up to you today to start making healthy choices. Not choices that are just healthy for your body, but healthy for your mind.”― Steve Maraboli
3. “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light.” — Albus Dumbledore
4. “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.” – Joubert Botha
5. “This feeling will pass. The fear is real but the danger is not.”― Cammie McGovern
6. “Everybody knows there is no such thing as normal. There is no black-and-white definition of normal. Normal is subjective. There’s only a messy, inconsistent, silly, hopeful version of how we feel most at home in our lives.” ― Tori Spelling
7. “What mental health needs is more sunlight, more candor, and more unashamed conversation.” – Glenn Close
8. “It’s not just people who can’t find a job, or can’t fit in in society that struggle with depression sometimes.” — Jared Padalecki
9. “It doesn’t have to take over your life, it doesn’t have to define you as a person, it’s just important that you ask for help. It’s not a sign of weakness.” — Demi Lovato
10. “What does your anxiety do? It does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, but it empties today of its strength. It does not make you escape the evil; it makes you unfit to cope with it if it comes.” ― Raymond L. Cramer
Inspirational mental health quotes to help you on your journey
11. “There isn’t anybody out there who doesn’t have a mental health issue, whether it’s depression, anxiety, or how to cope with relationships. Having OCD is not an embarrassment anymore – for me. Just know that there is help and your life could be better if you go out and seek the help.” – Howie Mandel
12. “I’ve run my whole life – for more than exercise, for mental health.” – Wendelin Van Draanen
13. “Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I’m not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you’ve felt that way.”— Charles Bukowski
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Charles Bukowski quotes to help you see life from a brand new perspective.
14. “It is not the the bruises on the body that hurt. It is the wounds of the heart and the scars on the mind.”― Aisha Mirza
15. “The only journey is the journey within.” – Rainer Maria Rilke
16. “You have to quit confusing a madness with a mission.” ― Flannery O’Connor
17. “Hope is a powerful thing. Some say it’s a different breed of magic altogether.” – Stephanie Garber
18. “And every person can benefit from talking to somebody. I’m the most anti-medication person, but some people need medicine, and there was a time where I needed some too.” — Miley Cyrus
19. “My dark days made me strong. Or maybe I already was strong, and they made me prove it.” – Emery Lord
20. “The acknowledgment of having suffered evil is the greatest step forward in mental health.” ― Stefan Molyneux
Also read these helpful suicide quotes to inspire prevention.
Insightful and inspirational mental health quotes
21. “Self-esteem is as important to our well-being as legs are to a table. It is essential for physical and mental health and for happiness.” – Louise Hart
22. “Your illness is not your identity. Your chemistry is not your character.” — Pastor Rick Warren
23. “To think too much is a disease.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
24. “If we start being honest about our pain, our anger, and our shortcomings instead of pretending they don’t exist, then maybe we’ll leave the world a better place than we found it.” – Russell Wilson
25. “Just because you don’t understand it doesn’t mean it isn’t so.” –Lemony Snicket
26. “One small crack does not mean that you are broken, it means that you were put to the test and you didn’t fall apart.” –Linda Poindexter
27. “Mental health…is not a destination, but a process. It’s about how you drive, not where you’re going.” – Noam Shpancer
28. “I didn’t talk to anyone about [postpartum depression]. I was very reluctant.. Four of my friends felt the same way I did, and everyone was too embarrassed to talk about it.” — Adele (See more postpartum depression quotes)
29. “Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other one thing.” – Abraham Lincoln
30. “It was too heavy a burden to carry and I simply couldn’t do that anymore. I sought and received treatment, I put positive people around me and I got back to doing what I love – writing songs and making music.” – Mariah Carey
Don’t forget to also read these All the Bright Places quotes on mental health, love, and more.
Mental health quotes to remind you to take care of your mind
31. “Mental health is often missing from public health debates even though it’s critical to wellbeing.” – Diane Abbott
32. “Unfortunately, we force people to break the law in order to get any kind of mental health treatment.” – Pete Earley
33. “PTSD is a whole-body tragedy, an integral human event of enormous proportions with massive repercussions.”
― Susan Pease Banitt
34. “Don’t let your struggle become your identity.” – Unknown
35. “Self-esteem is not a luxury; it is a profound spiritual need.”― Nathaniel Branden
36. “..balancing time you spend with or without people is crucial for mental health.” ― Amy E. Spiegel
37. “Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.” – Carl Jung
38. “I’m actually taking medication that seems to be pretty good. It’s not making me feel too tired or sluggish or anything like that. Finding the proper balance is what is most important,” – Mariah Carey
39. “I’m struggling just to get through the days. I think a lot of people are.” — Justin Bieber
40. “About a third of my cases are suffering from no clinically definable neurosis, but from the senselessness and emptiness of their lives. This can be defined as the general neurosis of our times.” – C.G. Jung
Don’t forget to also read these insightful insanity quotes that will help you stay sane in the chaos that’s life.
Mental health quotes to make you strong
41. “A child’s mental health is just as important as their physical health and deserves the same quality of support.” – Kate Middleton
42. “The bravest thing I ever did was continuing my life when I wanted to die.”― Juliette Lewis
43. “I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship.” — Amy March
44. “There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.”― John Green
45. “Your illness does not define you. Your strength and courage does.” –Unknown
46. “I keep moving ahead, as always, knowing deep down inside that I am a good person and that I am worthy of a good life.” ― Jonathan Harnisch
47. “Hope, hope, hope. It has to be there. Rob the person of hope, and there won’t be any recovery.” – Dan Fisher
48. “There’s not shame in dealing with these things. There’s no shame in having to fight everyday.” — Jared Padalecki
49. “If you are physically sick, you can elicit the interest of a battery of physicians; but if you are mentally sick, you are lucky if the janitor comes around.” – Martin H. Fischer
50. “I let it get to me that day. I wasn’t in a good place. And unfortunately I was going through a rough time and I let it get to me a little bit too much. That was it,”- Liam Payne
Also check out these wellness quotes and sayings that can help you achieve a better life.
Inspirational mental health quotes
51. “Living with anxiety, turning up, and doing stuff with anxiety takes a strength most people will never know.”― Matt Haig
52. “It can be a good thing, too, to learn to sit in your own weirdness.”― Sarah Wilson
53. “When anxiety is in balance, it helps us to think ahead to the future, make plans, and get organized.”― Jessica Moore
54. “Mental health is an important topic, and should be discussed more frequently. It’s not “attention seeking.”― Brien Blatt
55. “Mental health sufferers are not crazy. They have special insight. You better recognize that setting aside your interest people to stay asleep and show empathy towards God’s imperfect creations, otherwise the world has no meaning to exist.”― Maria Karvouni
56. “Is stress inflicted on you — or created by you?”― Frank Sonnenberg
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of stress quotes that will teach you tips to better manage yours.
57. “Depression… is what your suffering actually yours?”― Susanna Mittermaier
58. “There is a point where courage becomes a symptom of mental illness.”― Wayne Gerard Trotman
59. “Through the vehicle of our emotions, our mind, body, and spirit are sending signals that something has to shift.”― Randy Taran
60. “It’s okay to not be okay – it means that your mind is trying to heal itself.”― Abhijit Naskar
61. “True suffering is being trapped in your own head.”― Adam Snowflake
62. “Those who suffer from depression would know that all the things that might seem nonsensical are eventually real.”― Dwimirnani
63. “The only people who have room to worry about the future are those who aren’t fighting just to survive the present.”― Kerry Kletter
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of worry quotes to help you calm your fears.
64. “I sometimes feel like my head is a computer with too many windows open.”― Matt Haig
65. “The quickest way to end up feeling anger all the time is to repress it and fight against it.”― Jessica Moore
Mental health quotes to give you hope
66. “Mental health problems don’t define who you are. They are something you experience. You walk in the rain and you feel the rain, but, importantly, YOU ARE NOT THE RAIN.” — Matt Haig
67. “There is no standard normal. Normal is subjective. There are seven billion versions of normal on this planet.”― Matt Haig
68. “If you are broken, you do not have to stay broken.” — Selena Gomez
69. “They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me.”― Nathaniel Lee
70. “We are not our trauma. We are not our brain chemistry. That’s part of who we are, but we’re so much more than that.” ― Sam J. Miller
71. “Crazy isn’t being broken or swallowing a dark secret. It’s you or me amplified. If you ever told a lie and enjoyed it. If you ever wished you could be a child forever.” ―Susanna Kaysen, Girl, Interrupted
72. “Don’t let your mind bully your body into believing it must carry the burden of its worries.” — Astrid Alauda
73. “There is so much pain in the world, and most of these people keep theirs secret, rolling through agonizing lives in invisible wheelchairs, dressed in invisible bodycasts.” ―Andrew Solomon, The Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression
74. “The best thing you could do is master the chaos in you. You are not thrown into the fire, you are the fire.” — Mama Indigo
75. “I have never been remotely ashamed of having been depressed. Never. What’s there to be ashamed of? I went through a really tough time and I am quite proud that I got out of that.” —J. K. Rowling
Don’t forget to also check out these self harm quotes and sayings that will help move you to a calm moment.
Mental health quotes to enlighten you
76. “Mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of, but stigma and bias shame us all.” – Bill Clinton
77. “You are so brave and quiet, I forget you are suffering.” —Ernest Hemingway
78. “Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed.” – Dale Carnegie
79. “It’s okay to feel unstable. It’s okay to disassociate. It’s okay to hide from the world. It’s okay to need help. It’s okay not to be okay. Your mental illness is not a personal failure.” —Unknown
80. “You are stronger than you know. In the depths of despair you find your true strength within.” – Asad Meah
81. “We take care of our dental health. We don’t take care of our mental health … I think the solution to making this world better is if we would just be healthy mentally.” —Howie Mandel
82. “Do not just slay your demons; dissect them and find what they’ve been feeding on.” – Anonymous
83. “I think that we’re all mentally ill. Those of us outside the asylums only hide it a little better — and maybe not all that much better after all.” —Stephen King
84. “You will emerge from this nightmare like the powerful, beautiful, resilient person that you are. It can be hard to remember this when you feel like a shell of the person you once were. But trust me: You are capable of overcoming so much more than you think.” – Elite Daily
85. “No one would ever say that someone with a broken arm or a broken leg is less than a whole person, but people say that all the time about people with mental illness.” —Elyn R. Saks
More mental health quotes and sayings
86. “Healing takes time, and asking for help is a courageous step.” – Mariska Hargitay
87. “Be patient and tough; someday this pain will be useful to you.” — Ovid
88. “The humanity we all share is more important than the mental illnesses we may not.” ― Elyn R. Saks
89. “Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.” ― Henry David Thoreau
90. “Life doesn’t make any sense without interdependence. We need each other, and the sooner we learn that the better for us all.” — Erik Erikson
91. “Mental health is something that we all need to talk about, and we need to take the stigma away from it. So let’s raise awareness. Let’s let everybody know it’s OK to have a mental illness and addiction problem.” — Demi Lovato
92. “My dark days made me stronger. Or maybe I already was strong, and they made me prove it.” — Emery Lord
93. “Being vulnerable is actually a strength and not a weakness — that’s why more and more mental health is such an important thing to talk about. It’s the same as being physically sick. And when you keep all those things inside, when you bottle them up, it makes you ill.” — Cara Delevingne
94. “But no matter how much evil I see, I think it’s important for everyone to understand that there is much more light than darkness.” ― Robert Uttaro
95. “Anyone can be affected, despite their level of success or their place on the food chain. In fact, there is a good chance you know someone who is struggling with it since nearly 20% of American adults face some form of mental illness in their lifetime. So why aren’t we talking about it?” — Kristen Bell
How did you like these mental health quotes?
Mental health is vital in all stages of life. For you to realize your full potential, achieve success and live a more fulfilling life, you need to have a healthy mental state.
While taking care of your mental health might mean getting professional support, you should also consider making the right changes for you. Hopefully, these quotes have inspired you to always maintain positive mental health for success and happiness.
Did you enjoy these mental health quotes? Which of the quotes was your favorite? We would love to hear all about it in the comment section below.