Sewing Quotes that Promote Creativity
January 12, 2023 6:00 AM EST
We have created the best sewing quotes compilation for those who love sewing.
The quotes listed below are both exciting and inspirational.
You would enjoy reading and sharing these sewing quotes.
So, without any further ado, let’s dive in!
What are the physical benefits of sewing and stitching?
It might sound surprising, but there are certain benefits that one can achieve while spending some time stitching or sewing.
Sewing or stitching helps in:
- Developing a proper sitting posture
- Improving hand-eye coordination
- Blood pressure management
- Strengthening your immune system
- Improving your mood
To get the details of these benefits, please continue reading.
1. Allows Developing a Proper Sitting Posture
You can use sewing to improve your sitting posture.
This is because you must sit upright and maintain a particular posture when sewing.
You would develop a habit of sitting upright and continue to follow this posture when doing other daily tasks.
Doing this also helps to lower back pain issues.
2. Improves Hand-Eye Coordination
For better cognitive development, we need to work on our hand-eye coordination.
While sewing, we cut and stitch along lines, which improves our spatial perception.
Also, you work carefully to prevent hurting your finger with the needle.
So, sewing practice can help you improve your hand-eye coordination.
3. Helps with Blood Pressure Management
You can attain various psychological and physical benefits by focusing on sewing.
For instance, you can also manage your blood pressure by keeping yourself busy creating something.
Sewing is a kind of meditation for those who have chosen it as a hobby.
So this can help you lower your stress and your blood pressure.
4. Strengthens your Immune System
When you are stress-free and happy, you feel a positive change in all aspects of your life.
For instance, your body gains more strength in terms of its immune system.
A strong immune system prevents frequent health issues and ensures a healthy life.
5. Leads to a much Better Mood
Since sewing offers various health benefits, it also helps to increase our energy level.
As a result, our body experiences less stress and shows more dexterity.
This helps us to carry a good mood when performing our daily tasks.
Top 10 sewing quotes
Here are the top 10 most engaging sewing quotes to read and share.
1. “I do enjoy sewing.” — Andi Dorfman
2. “My sewing skills are terrible.” — Joe Lycett
3. “I preferred sewing to bossing little children.” — Mary Harris Jones
4. “My mother is very good at sewing and makes wonderful quilts.” — Coy Bowles
5. “My daughter does sewing, needlepoint, and very good drawings.” — David Linley
6. “‘Sewing Bee’ is making people realize that you can do it yourself.” — Esme Young
7. “I tote around that big ol’ sewing machine with me everywhere I go.” — Bianca Belair
8. “It used to be twelve people crowded around a sewing table; now it’s ten.” — Ben Shahn
9. “The art of sewing lyrics with the tune is very interesting as a music director.” — Ankit Tiwari
10. “Writing is like sewing together what I call these ‘buttons,’ these bits and pieces.” — Sandra Cisneros
Sewing quotes for inspiration
Are you looking for inspirational sewing quotes? Just take a look at the quotes below.
11. “The sewing machine charm. To a life bound by family, the thread that ties us all together” ― Viola Shipman
12. “The scar on my eye is a result of the doctor’s sewing up my face. It was 450 stitches and plastic surgery.” — Charlie Puth
13. “My regular life today is reading books, making dolls houses, sewing dolls with my daughter, and barbequing.” — Milla Jovovich
14. “When I moved out of my mom’s house at 18 I was almost as sad to leave her sewing machine behind as anything else.” — Beth Ditto
15. “When a man’s suit fits, when the construction is beautiful when the sewing and fabrics are there… in the end, you’ll look the best in it.” — John Varvatos
Deep sewing quotes about life and creativity
16. “When I write sad songs, I feel like I’m sewing up a scar in me, and the outcome always feels so much better than when I write happy ones.” — Sam Smith
17. “I’ve worked in construction, in a factory sewing clothes. I also sold flowers and doughnuts – just odd jobs to try to make 10 pesos, which is equivalent to 20 cents.” — Manny Pacquiao
18. “I have written most of my melodies walking and I feel it is definitely one of the most helpful ways of sewing all of the different things in your life together and seeing the whole picture.” — Bjork
19. “I have a sewing machine that I adore, and I spend a lot of time sitting in front of it when I’m not working. And any excuse to paint or draw or do something artistic with my hands really gets me going. Definitely aspiring.” — India de Beaufort
20. “Sleep is one of the great pleasures of life. Designing my bed linen line seemed like a natural progression for me. Everyone loves getting into a bed made up with beautiful linen. I love sewing, I love fabrics, and I love sleeping.” — Twiggy
Sewing quotes about family life
These sewing quotes relate to the importance of sewing in your past and current family life.
21. “I had my first sewing machine when I was 9. I trained in fashion illustration when I was in school.” — Jason Wu
22. “All the embroidery is made in my father’s workshop in India… and all the cutting and sewing is done in my studio.” — Naeem Khan
23. “My brother liked sewing and sculpting and making things, and my sister sewed and painted and cooked and baked.” — John Lasseter
24. “As an adult and a parent, when I’m not acting, I’m not acting. I’m being a parent, and I’m on the school run, and I’m sewing labels onto socks. That’s what I’m doing.” — Kate Winslet
25. “I really had an aptitude for sewing – my mother taught me. I even learned to embroider when I was very young and I made the most fantastic dresses for my dolls. So I thought I could be a designer.” — Lady Colin Campbell
Sewing quotes to make you smile
26. “When you grow up starving, you cannot point with pride to a book you’ve just spent six hours reading. Picking cotton, sewing flour bags into clothes – those were the skills my father grew up appreciating.” — Karin Slaughter
27. “I couldn’t sew on a day like this. There’s something in the air that gets in the blood and makes a sort of glory in my soul. My fingers would twitch and I’d sew a crooked seam. So it’s ho for the park and the pines.” ― Lucy Maud
28. “My mother had a sewing machine. I was never allowed to use it, but I was so fascinated by this little needle going up and down joining fabric together that I’d use it when my mother went out to feed the chickens.” — Philip Treacy
29. “I was a math whiz who stunk at English, so of course, I wanted to be a writer more than anything in the world. I performed impromptu plays for my grandmother’s sewing circle but forced my little sister to ask for ketchup at McDonald’s.” — Alethea Kontis
30. “When I was little, and whenever I had to wear a dress while my mother took up the hem or made any alterations, she told me to keep a thread from the dress in my mouth while she was sewing, and that would keep me from getting stuck by the needle.” — Charlotte Rae
Sewing quotes to lighten up your thoughts
These sewing quotes are motivational, giving you a reason to lighten up your thoughts.
31. “A good use for me is to let me go away with my sewing machine and come back with some really new stuff.” — Betsey Johnson
32. “Comparing science and religion isn’t like comparing apples and oranges – it’s more like apples and sewing machines.” — Jack Horner
33. “What we’re always looking for in students is who they are, and I think that’s something that happens on the ‘Sewing Bee’.” — Esme Young
34. “I’m able to show on YouTube what I’m passionate about, what I love to do and one of those things is sewing my gear.” — Bianca Belair
35. “The most casual examination will reveal the fact that all the jokes about the horrible results of masculine cooking and sewing are written by men.” — Heywood Broun
Sewing quotes for hobbyists and enthusiasts
36. “My husband went through a phase of giving me vacuum cleaners, sewing machines, and Mixmasters. It’s ironic. He is encouraging me to develop a hobby, I think.” — Cate Blanchett
37. “Blaming America for the problems of countries whose citizens would rather spend time sewing blankets to cover women’s faces than improving the quality of life is utterly ludicrous.” — Stephen Miller
38. “Robotics has already made significant inroads in electronics assembly, with sewing trades – traditionally many countries’ first entry point to the global trading system – likely to come next.” — Michael Spence
39. “The Royal Family doesn’t go out shopping for their uniforms: they’ve got some guy sewing on all the ornaments in-house. You could say I’ve got my own in-house team as well.” — Theophilus London
40. “You sweat out the free agent thing in November then you make the trades in December. Then you struggle to sign the guys left in January and in February I get down to sewing all the new numbers on the uniforms.” — Whitey Herzog
Sewing quotes about childhood memories
Sewing quotes listed in this section can relate to your childhood memories.
41. “My parents got me a sewing machine for Christmas during my senior year of high school.” — Kourtney Kardashian
42. “My mom taught me how to sew when I was 2 or 3, so I’ve been sewing for as long as I can remember.” — Serena Williams
43. “My family has always made clothes. Growing up, I can remember sewing machines being everywhere.” — Hector Bellerin
44. “My mother was kept very busy with her sewing; sometimes she would have another woman helping her.” — James Weldon Johnson
45. “I have great admiration and tenderness for Azzedine Alaia. I haven’t seen him in a while, but I guess he must be still sewing some dresses at night.” — Hedi Slimane
Longer sewing quotes to enjoy
46. “My grandmother raised five children during the Depression by herself. At 50, she threw her sewing machine into the back of a pickup truck and drove from North Dakota to California.” — Michelle Pfeiffer
47. “I use filming as an excuse to take classes. I got my certification in sailing for ‘Wedding Crashers,’ and now I can handle a 26-foot boat. I played a seamstress once, so I took sewing classes. I love dipping into these other lives.” — Rachel McAdams
48. “Growing up around Amish farmland, I enjoyed the opportunity to witness firsthand their love of family, of the domestic arts – sewing, quilting, cooking, baking – as well as seeing them live out their tradition of faith in such a unique way.” — Beverly Lewis
49. “I remember an old Singer sewing machine at home that belonged to my grandmother. It had a pedal. My mom taught me how to use it when I was 12 years old. I used to find it so intriguing, how a flat piece of material could be made into an object that had so many uses.” — Bibhu Mohapatra
50. “I had a great grandmother who believed in so many strange superstitions. She used to tell the future from the things that catch on to the hem of your skirt when you’ve been sewing, and different colored threads would mean different things… Of course, all that influenced me quite a lot as a child.” — Joanne Harris
Which of these sewing quotes do you like the most?
We mostly perceive sewing as a hobby, which is interesting!
By going through our sewing quotes selection, you can understand the importance of sewing in our lives.
If you like our sewing quotes, don’t forget to share your favorite one with friends and family.