As you will see in these Stepmom quotes, the movie takes a realistic look at how resentment and jealousy can make co-parenting a challenge.
Maybe it is a cold and dreary day outside and you feel like watching a sad movie. It’s cathartic to cry sometimes, and if that is the mood you are in, then Stepmom, starring Julia Roberts and Susan Sarandon, is a perfect choice.
The movie was released in 1998, and was a box office hit, even though it was met with mixed reviews from critics. The movie starts out exploring the dynamics between a divorced New York couple and the ex-husband’s new girlfriend.
As if all of that alone is not enough drama for a magnificent film, the writers throw us a heart-wrenching plot twist. It turns out that Susan Sarandon’s character, Jackie Harrison, has been battling cancer in silence. When she gets the news that her cancer is terminal, she finally shares the news with her family.
Keep reading through these Stepmom quotes to learn how this affects the family, but fair warning it might make you cry!
Don’t forget to also check out these co-parenting quotes to help separated parents
Stepmom quotes from Isabel
1. “You know, I never wanted to be a mom. Sharing it with you… that’s one thing. It’s another to be looking over my shoulder for the next twenty years, knowing someone else would have done it better… someone else would have done it right.” ― Isabel (Julia Roberts)
2. “You know every story, every wound, every memory. Their whole life’s happiness is wrapped up in you… every single second. Don’t you get it? “ ― Isabel (Julia Roberts)
3. “Don’t fight with me when I’m hungry.” ― Isabel (Julia Roberts)
4. “It’s not that I can’t cook, I choose not to cook.” ― Isabel (Julia Roberts)
5. “What is it that you’re worried about, looking bad at the PTA?” ― Isabel (Julia Roberts)
6. “If you meet me back here in 1 hour, I will prove to you why you hired me… even though I wouldn’t sleep with you.” ― Isabel (Julia Roberts)
7. Look down the road to her wedding. I’m in a room alone with her, fixing her veil, fluffing her dress, telling her no woman has ever looked so beautiful. And my fear is she’ll be thinking, “I wish my mom was here”. ― Isabel (Julia Roberts)
8. “Hello?… What is your problem, asshole?” ― Isabel (Julia Roberts)
9. “Why doesn’t everybody get on the sofa for a picture, huh?” ― Isabel (Julia Roberts)
10. “All right, you may think this is funny, but this is so not…” ― Isabel (Julia Roberts)
Stepmom quotes from Jackie and Luke Harrison
11. “Yep. Life’s a tradeoff. It’s finally legal to smoke dope, but you got to have cancer.” ― Jackie, (Susan Sarandon)
12. “You know, Ben was born in two hours, went right to the breast, and camped there for 4 days. His blanket looked just like a cape. Even the nurses thought so. He loves hearing that story about how he was born a magician.” ― Jackie, (Susan Sarandon)
13. “I’m getting a court order and you are never going to be with these children again alone, do you understand? EVER!” ― Jackie, (Susan Sarandon)
14. “A 12-year-old girl is trying to cope with the fact that her Father is never moving back in here with his family, she sees her Father naked in the shower, with another woman, for the first time, and you think it would be better for her… than to pretend that nothing happened?” ― Jackie, (Susan Sarandon)
15. “I have their past, and you can have their future.” ― Jackie, (Susan Sarandon)
16. “Winning without dignity or grace is not winning.” ― Jackie, (Susan Sarandon)
17. “Good one. Okay, now let’s get one with the whole family. Isabel?” ― Jackie, (Susan Sarandon)
18. Jackie Harrison: “What are we going to tell the kids?”
Luke Harrison: “Maybe we should tell them the truth. They can handle it. It should’ve been
me instead of you.” ― Luke, (Ed Harris)
19. “We’ll beat it. You’re not alone in this, you know. You don’t have to go through this by yourself — you know that? Understand what I’m saying?” ― Luke, (Ed Harris)
20. “Don’t do this. Don’t bring in the lawyers. You know that the kids aren’t in any real danger, this is about Isabel.” ― Luke, (Ed Harris)
Stepmom quotes from conversations between Jackie and Isabel
21. Isabel: You look tired.
Jackie: I hate when people say that. It’s like a polite way of telling you that you look like shit.
22. Isabel: Are you dying?
Jackie: Not today.
23. Isabel: What about her?
Jackie: 28 hours. The doctors wanted to go in and get her, but I knew she’d come at her
own time. You can never rush her.
Isabel: I’ll keep that in mind.
24. Isabel: I am so unbelievably sick of your imperious bullshit. I never said I was
Jackie: You don’t use that kind of language in this house!
25. Isabel: If every time life hits her hard you want to have a twelve-hour conversation every
third Tuesday of the month, go right ahead, lady. I have a life.
Jackie: Oh, and I don’t?
26. Jackie: You know what your problem is? You are so self-involved. You couldn’t be a mother.
Isabel: Maybe the problem here is your daughter, and that she is a spoiled, wise-ass little
Jackie: Get out of my house. Get out!
Isabel: Are you sure? I didn’t see that on the schedule.
27. Isabel: I’m so sorry, but you’re not making this any easier on anybody.
Jackie: It is not my job to make it easier for you, it is my job to take care of those children
and they don’t wanna be with YOU!
28. Isabel: [backstage at the school Thanksgiving play] I have something to tell you.
Jackie: You’re having Michael Jackson’s baby.
Isabel: That, *and* Anna is totally over her head for Brad Kovitsky.
29. Isabel: No, it’s Monday. Her riding lesson is on Tuesday.
Jackie: Except for the third Tuesday of the month, which switches to Monday, and in
November when she rides on Thursdays. I mean, it is not that difficult. Don’t you have
some kind of little… black agenda book that you can write all this down in?
30. Jackie: What happened?
Isabel: Nothing happened. Eh… Luke was in the shower this morning and… Anna sort of…
walked in without even knocking.
Jackie: I don’t see why that would upset her. I mean, there have been people in our family
that have taken showers before.
Isabel: Well, I was in there with him.
31. Jackie: What do you have that I don’t?
Isabel: You’re Mother Earth, incarnate.
Jackie: You’re… hip, and fresh.
Stepmom quotes from Ben and Anna Harrison
32. “Listen up, limp dick, as for you pitiful knowledge of what a real woman wants. I’m not going to waste my time on some loser who doesn’t even know what snowblowing is. It has to be said my new boyfriend he’s in high school and every time we talk about you he laughs his ass off about you.” ― Anna, (Jena Malone)
33. “See Mom? I told you! I’m telepathetic.” ― Ben, (Liam Aiken)
34. “Mom, if you want me to hate her, I will.” ― Ben, (Liam Aiken)
35. Ben: No one loves you like I do.
Jackie: No. No one ever will.”
36. Luke: Anna! You do not run out on your mother!
Anna: No, that’s your job.”
37. “I don’t have to listen to you, you’re not my mother!” ― Anna, (Jena Malone)
38. Isabel: Why don’t we name the puppy?
Anna: I know: Isabel.
Isabel: I beg your pardon?
Anna: Well, it kind of smells like you, and I’m allergic to you too, so it fits perfectly.
39. Isabel: Hello?… What is your problem, asshole?
Anna: YOU are my problem!
40. Anna: How come Isabel screams during sex?
Jackie: How do you know she screams during sex?
Anna: I live in the same country.
41. “You didn’t asked me if I wanted a new mother. You didn’t even asked me if I liked her.” ― Anna, (Jena Malone)
42. “Will you sing me a song? My mom always sings to me when I get hurt.” ― Ben, (Liam Aiken)
Which of these Stepmom quotes is your favorite?
“Let’s get a photo with the whole family,” is actually the last line of the movie. At this point, Jackie is nearly bedridden, but she spends Christmas morning with all the people who love her.
She shares some tear-jerking scenes with her children. Isabel takes a photo of Jackie, Luke, and the kids, before Jackie utters her request in a thready voice.
This moment shows just how much the relationship between the two women changes throughout the film. Jackie has come to rely on Isabel, and Isabel learns much about caring for others in a selfless manner.
There is so much growth that happens in this movie for each of the characters. It feels authentic and real to anyone who has experienced any kind of traumatic event that helped shape who you are.
What are your favorite Stepmom quotes and lines from the film? You can let us know in the comment section below, but what I am most curious about is if you made it through the whole movie without crying!
October 20, 2021 7:00 AM EST