Share which of The Leftovers quotes below reminds you the most of the series.
The Leftovers is a supernatural mystery drama TV series that aired on HBO from 2014 to 2017. The series follows the lives of Kevin Garvey, a police officer, and his family after the events of “Sudden Departure”. Sudden departure is a global mystery event that resulted in the disappearance of 2% of the world’s population.
As hundreds of millions of people disappear in an instant, the remaining people struggle to cope and wrap their minds on the mysterious event. Various changes shift the dynamics of the world as mainstream religion declines, and cult followings rise.
Here are some of the most exciting The Leftovers quotes for you.
Don’t forget to also check out our collection of The OA quotes full of mystery & drama.
The Leftovers quotes from Nora Durst
1. “Terrible things happen in this world. And the only comfort we get is that we didn’t cause them.” — Nora Durst
2. “Well, you know what they say. They’ll turn up once you stop looking for them.” — Nora Durst
3. “Over here, we lost some of them. But over there, they lost all of us.” — Nora Durst
4. “And I understood that here, in this place, they were the lucky ones. In a world full of orphans, they still had each other. And I was a ghost. I was a ghost who had no place there. And that, Kevin, is when I changed my mind.” — Nora Durst
5. “If we can’t have a sense of humor about you being the Messiah, we’re gonna have a problem.” — Nora Durst
The Leftovers quotes from Isaac Rayney
6. “Ain’t nothing more dangerous than a man who doesn’t believe in nothing.” — Isaac Rayney
7. “You lose your mama and the very next day nobody gives a s*** about her or you because they think the world is ending.” — Isaac Rayney
The Leftovers quotes from Matt Jamison
8. “Suffering breeds compassion.” — Matt Jamison
9. “It’s easier to stay silent than it is to speak truth.” — Matt Jamison
10. “I’m scared of what’ll happen when I go back to Mary. And I’m scared of the chemicals they’re gonna put in my body to try and make me better, and I’m scared it won’t work. I’m scared of dying, Nora.” — Matt Jamison
11. “I’m scared my son will grow up without me, forget my face, forget the sound of my voice. But most of all, I’m scared that I’ll survive. Because if I do, how can I ever stand in front of a room full of people and convince them that I have the answers when I have no idea what the f*** I’m talking about?” — Matt Jamison
12. “If we can no longer separate the innocent from the guilty, everything that happened to us, all of our suffering, is meaningless.” — Matt Jamison
13. “My wife woke up the first night we arrived in your town. It’s the only time in over three years she’s talked to me. And there may be no way to prove it, but it happened and I won’t ever say it didn’t. I don’t want your wristband. Mary found hers, so she’s back where she belongs and I have no doubt that she’ll wake up again soon. And when she does, I’m going to come back and you and I will have a talk.” — Matt Jamison
14. “My name is Matt Jamison. I didn’t know your friend very well. I don’t even know if you considered her a friend, but she lived here, with all of you. I tried to give her a blanket once on a cold winter day, but she wouldn’t take it. She was committed to her path.” — Matt Jamison
The Leftovers quotes from Kevin Garvey
15. “Nobody’s ready to feel better. Ready to f*****’ explode.” — Kevin Garvey
16. “They say they want to remind people of what happened. But what do they want? They want to recruit.” — Kevin Garvey
17. “ I’m the only person that gives a shit about you people, and you won’t even tell me where my wife is?” — Kevin Garvey
The Leftovers quotes from Laurie Garvey
18. “You never tell somebody who’s in the midst of a psychotic break that they are in the midst of a psychotic break.” — Laurie Garvey
19. “I don’t want to hurt them, but they won’t jump out of the way.” — Laurie Garvey
20. “I think I’m supposed to stay broken, maybe we all are.” — Laurie Garvey
21. “Doubting is easy, because doubting costs you nothing.” — Laurie Garvey
22. “Death is easy. People just want finality, an end to their grief. But with departures, there is no end.” — Laurie Garvey
23. “Well, so everybody wants something. A brain, a heart, courage. Kevin’s in the Emerald City. He’s the one who’s going to give it to you.” — Laurie Garvey
24. “So is this the part where you call the DSD and shut this operation down?” — Laurie Garvey
The Leftovers quotes from Patti Levin
25. “You know, the only time in my life that I felt truly free, Kevin, was when I picked up that piece of glass and I stuck it in my neck. You were holding me in your arms and I looked up into your eyes and you were so afraid. But I wasn’t. Because it was finally over. That’s freedom.” — Patti Levin
26. “Doubt is fire. And fire is gonna burn you up until you are but ash.” — Patti Levin
27. “Throughout history assassins have never been motivated by money or revenge. They’re motivated by beliefs. And their targets embody a belief that enrages their would-be assassins. Why? Because secretly, they share that belief.” — Patti Levin
28. “May God have mercy on your soul if there is a god, which there is not.” — Patti Levin
29. “ It’s just that you keep saying you want to go home, and yet you keep leaving and coming here. I’m sensing a lot of internal contradictions from you, Kevin. That sounds like something you need to work out with yourself.” — Patti Levin
30. “Take me home, give a polite little beep as you drive off, but you should know that I have every intention of reporting you to the actual authorities. I will tell them that I was abducted off the street, and I will identify my attackers.” — Patti Levin
The Leftovers quotes from Lucy Warburton
31. “They’re heroes because no one’s gonna come to a parade on We Don’t Know What the f*** Happened Day.” — Lucy Warburton
32. “You are aware that people like dogs?” — Lucy Warburton
33. “Jesus. I never should have told you to watch the f*****g ‘Wire’.” — Lucy Warburton
The Leftovers quotes from John Murphy
34. “No safer here than anywhere else. Of that I am sure. There are no miracles in Miracle.” — John Murphy
35. “I guess I didn’t try hard enough.” — John Murphy
This series is truly a roller coaster ride of emotion for its viewers. With its creative and intelligent narrative, the audience will find mysteries unfolding right in front of their eyes each episode while leaving a branching trail of questions enough to keep you hooked for this series.
As the story sets a challenging tone for us viewers, it constantly reminds us that disappearance, death, and departure are not always about those who leave but also about the ones that are left.
Share these The Leftover quotes and lines with your friends, and why not start a new mystery show to watch later?
December 27, 2021 7:00 AM EST