Learn something new about one of the earliest examples of Black Excellence in America with our Benjamin Banneker quotes.
The life of Benjamin Banneker is one of accomplishments, intelligence, and overcoming the limitations of others.
Learn more about this American genius with our Benjamin Banneker quotes.
Who was Benjamin Banneker?
Benjamin Banneker was a multi-talented genius who excelled in the fields of mathematics, astronomy, engineering, invention, and city planning.
Check out these interesting facts about Benjamin Banneker:
- Mr. Banneker was a free-born African American.
- He worked to survey the land and map out Washington, D.C.
- He built a clock using only a watch as his inspiration and a pocket knife as a tool.
Why is the story of Benjamin Banneker so important?
African Americans are taught about the various heroes and sheroes who overcame being enslaved to lead successful lives.
The life of Benjamin Banneker is different in that he overcame racial prejudice and other limitations set by close-minded individuals, but he never was enslaved.
It is important for examples like Benjamin Banneker to be celebrated.
His genius is a reminder that African Americans had a strong hand in impacting the country outside of their efforts to build parts of America via chattel slavery.
Benjamin Banneker was a true genius
Banneker’s genius was evident at a young age.
His parents made sure he was literate at a young age.
He took off once he learned to read, and the world became his library.
Bannekar studied the stars and planetary movements and kept amazingly detailed almanacs.
He even used his platform to try to convince Thomas Jefferson to stop practicing slavery and abolish the trade.
Benjamin Banneker and Cultural Pride
Today, we look back on the efforts of Banneker in awe.
However, he was aware of the importance of cultural pride during his time.
He proudly exclaimed that he was “of the African race” and loved his culture and identity.
He fought hard to convince others that many Africans were as intelligent as he and should not be kept in inhumane conditions.
To learn more, check out our Benjamin Banneker quotes below.
Short Benjamin Banneker quotes about the illusion of separation
Banneker knew the power of communication and the human spirit.
1. “I hope to live to hear that good communication corrects bad manners.” — Benjamin Banneker
2. “Never abandon your vision.” — Benjamin Banneker
3. “Keep reaching to further your dreams.” — Benjamin Banneker
4. “Evil communication corrupts good manners.” — Benjamin Banneker
5. “Were there no uniforms, there would probably be no armies.” — Benjamin Banneker
Famous Benjamin Banneker quotes about life
6. “Presumption should never make us neglect that which appears easy to us.” — Benjamin Banneker
7. “Despair should never make us lose courage at the sight of difficulties.” — Benjamin Banneker
8. “The color of the skin is in no way connected with strength of the mind or intellectual powers.” — Benjamin Banneker
9. “It is the indispensable duty of those who maintain for themselves the rights of human nature.” — Benjamin Banneker
10. “I have no influence with the rising generation.” — Benjamin Banneker
The best Benjamin Banneker quotes about the science of getting shot
Only Banneker would get struck by a bullet and choose to appreciate the science behind the discharge instead of seeking revenge.
11. “All my arguments have failed to induce them to set bounds to their wants.” — Benjamin Banneker
12. “In four or five seconds of time, after the discharge, the small shot came rattling about me.” — Benjamin Banneker
13. “One or two of which struck the house; which plainly demonstrates that the velocity of sound is greater than that of a cannon bullet.” — Benjamin Banneker
14. “It is the indispensable duty of those who possess the obligations of Christianity, to extend their power and influence to the relief of every part of the human race from whatever burden or oppression they may unjustly labor under.” — Benjamin Banneker
15. “Standing at my door, I heard the discharge of a gun.” — Benjamin Banneker
Benjamin Banneker quotes and sayings about Black pride and nature
These quotes reflect Banneker’s cultural pride.
16. “And in the color which is natural to them of the deepest dye.” — Benjamin Banneker
17. “We are a race of beings who have long labored under the abuse and censure of the world.” — Benjamin Banneker
18. “It is under a sense of the most profound gratitude to the Supreme Ruler of the Universe.” — Benjamin Banneker
19. “I am of the African race.” — Benjamin Banneker
20. “Nature has no exclusive laws, and she has no favorites.” — Benjamin Banneker
The top Benjamin Banneker quotes to Thomas Jefferson about abolishing American slavery
These quotes highlight Banneker’s attempts to convince Thomas Jefferson of the folly of chattel slavery.
21. “I am fully sensible of the greatness of that freedom, which I take with you on the present occasion.” — Benjamin Banneker
22. “How pitiable is it to reflect, that although you were so fully convinced of the benevolence of the Father of Mankind, and of his equal and impartial distribution of these rights and privileges.” — Benjamin Banneker
23. “You should at the same time be found guilty of that most criminal act, which you professedly detested in others, with respect to yourselves.” — Benjamin Banneker
24. “You counteract his mercies, in detaining by fraud and violence so numerous a part of my brethren, under groaning captivity and cruel oppression.” — Benjamin Banneker
25. “I apprehend you will embrace every opportunity to eradicate that train of absurd and false ideas and opinions, which so generally prevails with respect to us.” — Benjamin Banneker
Why don’t more people know about Benjamin Banneker?
Benjamin Banneker is an American hero.
His legacy and contribution to society passed the test of time.
Do you have a favorite Benjamin Banneker quote?
Be sure to let us know in the comments.
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
Inspirational biographies, however, provide insight into the life struggles of the rich and successful.
Have you ever wondered why some people succeed in many areas of life, while others remain stagnant or give up altogether? Find out why here.
Here’s how to get involved in social issues you care about. You can make things better for people in situations where they are powerless.
Want to have a legacy of strength and superhero status? Here are eight steps to becoming your own superhero and achieving personal growth.
Check out these related quote articles:
These John Brown quotes reveal his thoughts about the politics surrounding slavery, God, and the country.
These Nat Turner quotes document the life and legacy of the enslaved African preacher who led one of the bloodiest slave rebellions in American history.
Learn how the efforts of the past impact the present with our Thaddeus Stevens quotes.
Booker T. Washington was by far one of the most influential African-Americans of his time, and when you read through these Booker T. Washington quotes you will understand why.