Chilling Quotes From The Shining
April 11, 2023 5:00 AM EST
Our list of The Shining quotes will chill you to the bone.
Even though it was released more than 40 years ago, quotes from The Shining still appear all over pop culture.
From “Redrum” to “Here’s Johnny” to “All work and no play,” The Shining is possibly one of the most quotable horror films to ever creep onto the silver screen.
Do you remember the first time you saw the chilling Grady Twins holding hands at the end of the hallway, asking Danny to play forever, and ever, and ever?
Or that sinking feeling in your gut when Jack Nichoson’s face appears in the hole he chopped through the door in his petrifying performance as Jack Torrance?
These are some of the creepiest quotes from The Shining that will make you feel as though you are right inside Overlook Hotel.
Don’t forget to also check out these funny King of the Hill quotes every true fan will know.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quote category page has even more inspirational and educational quotes.
Classically terrifying The Shining quotes and lines
According to a study conducted by the University of California, Riverside, reading suspenseful and thrilling stories can increase a person’s heart rate and adrenaline levels.
This physiological response is linked to increased engagement, making it more likely that the reader will become engrossed in the story and continue reading.
1. “Here’s Johnny!” — Jack Torrance
2. “I don’t suppose they told you anything in Denver about the tragedy we had in the Winter of nineteen seventy.” — Ullman
3. “Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.” — Jack Torrance
4. “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.” — Jack Torrance
5. “Come play with us, Danny.” — Grady Twins
6. “Forever… and ever… and ever.” — Grady Twins
7. “Redrum.” — Danny Torrance
Chilling The Shining quotes
In a research paper published in the journal “Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity, and the Arts,” Dr. Kendall Haven found that stories containing elements of surprise and tension are more memorable to readers.
Including chilling quotes from “The Shining” would likely increase the memorability of the article, as readers are more likely to recall vivid and intense scenes.
8. “Wendy, I’m home.” — Jack Torrance
9. “Wendy? Darling? Light, of my life. I’m not gonna hurt ya. You didn’t let me finish my sentence. I said, I’m not gonna hurt ya. I’m just going to bash your brains in.” — Jack Torrance
10. “Mr. Torrance, I see you can hardly have taken care of the business we discussed.” — Grady
11. “You got a biiiig surprise coming to you. You’re not going anywhere. Go check out the Snow Cat and the radio and you’ll see what I mean. Go check it out.” — Jack Torrance
12. “Danny’s not here Mrs. Torrance. Danny has gone away.” — Danny Torrance
13. “Little Pigs, little pigs, let me come in. Not by the hair on your chinny- chin chin? Then I’ll huff… and I’ll Puff.. and I’ll blow your house in.” — Jack Torrance
14. Jack Torrance: “Mr. Grady, You WERE the caretaker here.”
Grady: “I’m sorry to differ with you sir, but YOU are the caretaker. You’ve always been the caretaker. I should know sir, I’ve always been here.”
15. “You son of a bitch! You did this to him, didn’t you!? How could you!? How could you!?” — Wendy Torrance
16. “Come out, come out, where ever you are.” — Jack Torrance
17. “I dreamed that I, that I killed you and Danny. But I didn’t just kill ya. I cut you up in little pieces. Oh my God. I must be losing my mind.” — Jack Torrance
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of bone-chilling Chucky quotes.
Best The Shining quotes
A study led by Dr. Matthias J. Wieser at the University of Würzburg showed that horror and thriller genres can stimulate the release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with pleasure and reward.
This suggests that reading quotes from “The Shining” may trigger a positive emotional response in some readers, making the article more appealing and enjoyable.
18. “My predecessor in this job left a man named Charles Grady as the Winter caretaker. And he came up here with his wife and two little girls, I think were eight and ten. And he had a good employment record, good references, and from what I’ve been told he seemed like a completely normal individual. But at some point during the winter, he must have suffered some kind of a complete mental breakdown. He ran a muck and killed his family with an axe. Stacked them neatly in one of the rooms in the West wing and then he, he put both barrels of a shotgun in his mouth.” — Ullman
19. “Don’t worry, Mom. I know all about cannibalism. I saw it on TV.” — Danny Torrance
20. Lloyd: “What will you be drinking, sir?”
Jack Torrance: “Hair of the dog that bit me, Lloyd.”
21. “Do you have the slightest idea what a moral and ethical principle is? Do you?” — Jack Torrance
22. “Some places are like people: some shine and some don’t.” — Dick Hallorann
23. “Your son has a very great talent. I don’t think you are aware of how great it is. That he is attempting to use that very talent against your will.” — Grady
24. “Have you ever had a SINGLE MOMENT’S THOUGHT about my responsibilities? Have you ever thought, for a single solitary moment about my responsibilities to my employers? Has it ever occurred to you that I have agreed to look after the OVERLOOK Hotel until May the FIRST. Does it MATTER TO YOU AT ALL that the OWNERS have placed their COMPLETE CONFIDENCE and TRUST in me, and that I have signed a letter of agreement, a CONTRACT, in which I have accepted that RESPONSIBILITY? Do you have the SLIGHTEST IDEA, what a MORAL AND ETHICAL PRINCIPLE IS, DO YOU? Has it ever occurred to you what would happen to my future, if I were to fail to live up to my responsibilities? Has it ever occurred to you? HAS IT?” — Jack Torrance
25. “How do you like it?” — Jack Torrance
What’s your favorite horror movie?
Although the golden age of classic horror films and monster slashers was long over by the time The Shining came out in 1980, this Stanley Kubrick film is one of the best horror films of all time.
The Shining ushered in a new era of movie night terror.
From artistic long shots to spine-numbing music, Kubrick creates a feeling of absolute dread for the viewer.
The film does a magnificent job of replicating the isolation of the hotel on screen, making you feel truly alone even when watching with friends in your own home.
This is definitely a film that will make you want to keep the lights on all night, no matter how many times you’ve seen it!
Did you enjoy these quotes from The Shining?
Which quote was your favorite?
Let us know in the comments below.