Our list of The Shining quotes will chill you to the bone.
Even though it was released more than 40 years ago, quotes from The Shining still appear all over pop culture. From “Redrum” to “Here’s Johnny” to “All work and no play,” The Shining is possibly one of the most quotable horror films to ever creep onto the silver screen.
Do you remember the first time you saw the chilling Grady Twins holding hands at the end of the hallway, asking Danny to play forever, and ever, and ever? Or that sinking feeling in your gut when Jack Nichoson’s face appears in the hole he chopped through the door in his petrifying performance as Jack Torrance?
These are some of the creepiest quotes from The Shining that will make you feel as though you are right inside Overlook Hotel.
Don’t forget to also check out these funny King of the Hill quotes every true fan will know.
Classically terrifying The Shining quotes and lines
1. “Here’s Johnny!” — Jack Torrance
2. “I don’t suppose they told you anything in Denver about the tragedy we had in the Winter of nineteen seventy.” — Ullman
3. “Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.” — Jack Torrance
4. “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.” — Jack Torrance
5. “Come play with us, Danny.” — Grady Twins
6. “Forever… and ever… and ever.” — Grady Twins
7. “Redrum.” — Danny Torrance
Chilling The Shining quotes
8. “Wendy, I’m home.” — Jack Torrance
9. “Wendy? Darling? Light, of my life. I’m not gonna hurt ya. You didn’t let me finish my sentence. I said, I’m not gonna hurt ya. I’m just going to bash your brains in.” — Jack Torrance
10. “Mr. Torrance, I see you can hardly have taken care of the business we discussed.” — Grady
11. “You got a biiiig surprise coming to you. You’re not going anywhere. Go check out the Snow Cat and the radio and you’ll see what I mean. Go check it out.” — Jack Torrance
12. “Danny’s not here Mrs. Torrance. Danny has gone away.” — Danny Torrance
13. “Little Pigs, little pigs, let me come in. Not by the hair on your chinny- chin chin? Then I’ll huff… and I’ll Puff.. and I’ll blow your house in.” — Jack Torrance
14. Jack Torrance: “Mr. Grady, You WERE the caretaker here.”
Grady: “I’m sorry to differ with you sir, but YOU are the caretaker. You’ve always been the caretaker. I should know sir, I’ve always been here.”
15. “You son of a bitch! You did this to him, didn’t you!? How could you!? How could you!?” — Wendy Torrance
16. “Come out, come out, where ever you are.” — Jack Torrance
17. “I dreamed that I, that I killed you and Danny. But I didn’t just kill ya. I cut you up in little pieces. Oh my God. I must be losing my mind.” — Jack Torrance
Best The Shining quotes
18. “My predecessor in this job left a man named Charles Grady as the Winter caretaker. And he came up here with his wife and two little girls, I think were eight and ten. And he had a good employment record, good references, and from what I’ve been told he seemed like a completely normal individual. But at some point during the winter, he must have suffered some kind of a complete mental breakdown. He ran a muck and killed his family with an axe. Stacked them neatly in one of the rooms in the West wing and then he, he put both barrels of a shotgun in his mouth.” — Ullman
19. “Don’t worry, Mom. I know all about cannibalism. I saw it on TV.” — Danny Torrance
20. Lloyd: “What will you be drinking, sir?”
Jack Torrance: “Hair of the dog that bit me, Lloyd.”
21. “Do you have the slightest idea what a moral and ethical principle is? Do you?” — Jack Torrance
22. “Some places are like people: some shine and some don’t.” — Dick Hallorann
23. “Your son has a very great talent. I don’t think you are aware of how great it is. That he is attempting to use that very talent against your will.” — Grady
24. “Have you ever had a SINGLE MOMENT’S THOUGHT about my responsibilities? Have you ever thought, for a single solitary moment about my responsibilities to my employers? Has it ever occurred to you that I have agreed to look after the OVERLOOK Hotel until May the FIRST. Does it MATTER TO YOU AT ALL that the OWNERS have placed their COMPLETE CONFIDENCE and TRUST in me, and that I have signed a letter of agreement, a CONTRACT, in which I have accepted that RESPONSIBILITY? Do you have the SLIGHTEST IDEA, what a MORAL AND ETHICAL PRINCIPLE IS, DO YOU? Has it ever occurred to you what would happen to my future, if I were to fail to live up to my responsibilities? Has it ever occurred to you? HAS IT?” — Jack Torrance
25. “How do you like it?” — Jack Torrance
26. “It’s amazing how fast you get used to such a big place. I tell you, when we first came up here I thought it was kind of scary.” — Wendy Torrance
More creepy The Shining quotes
27. Nurse: “Who’s Tony?”
Danny Torrance: “He’s the little boy that lives in his mouth.”
28. “A momentary loss of muscular coordination. A few extra footpounds of energy per second, per second.” — Jack Torrance
29. “White man’s burden, Lloyd, my man, white man’s burden.” — Jack Torrance
30. “I’m awfully glad you asked me that, Lloyd. Because I just happen to have to twentys and two tens right here in my wallet. And I was afraif there were gonna be there until net April. So, here’s what: You slip me a bottle of bourbon, a cool glass and some ice. You can do that, can’t you, Lloyd? You’re not too busy, are you?” — Jack Torrance
31. “I like you, Lloyd. I always liked you. You were always the best of them. Best goddamned bartender from Timbuktu to Portland, Maine. Or Portland, Oregon, for that matter.” — Jack Torrance
32. “Here’s to five miserable months on the wagon, and all the irreparable harm it has caused me.” — Jack Torrance
33. “God, I’d give anything for a drink. I’d give my god-damned soul for just a glass of beer.” — Jack Torrance
34. Danny Torrance: “What was the Donner Party?”
Jack Torrance: “They were a party of settlers in covered-wagon times. They got snowbound one winter in the mountains. They had to resort to cannibalism in order to stay alive.”
Danny Torrance: “You mean they ate each other up?”
Jack Torrance: “They had to, in order to survive.”
35. “Great party, isn’t it?” — Injured Guest
36. Lloyd: “Women. Can’t live with them, can’t live without them.”
Jack Torrance: “Words of wisdom, Lloyd, my man. Words of wisdom.”
37. Ullman: “Four presidents, movie stars…”
Wendy Torrance: “Royalty?”
Ullman: “All the best people.”
38. Dick Hallorann: “Mrs. Torrance, your husband inroduced you as Winifred. Now, are you a Winnie or a Freddy?”
Wendy Torrance: “I’m a Wendy.”
Dick Hallorann: “Oh. That’s nice, that’s the prettiest.”
39. “How’d you like some ice cream, doc?” — Dick Hallorann
40. “How could you?! How could you?!” — Wendy Torrance
Other famous The Shining quotes
41. “The loser has to keep America clean.” — Wendy Torrance
42. Lloyd: “How are things going, Mr. Torrance?”
Jack Torrance: “Things could be better. Things could be a whole lot better.”
Lloyd: “I hope it’s nothing serious.”
Jack Torrance: “Nothing serious. Just a little problem with the old sperm bank upstairs.”
43. “Perhaps they need a good talking to, if you don’t mind my saying so. Perhaps a bit more. My girls, sir, they didn’t care for the Overlook at first. One of them actually stole a pack of matches, and tried to burn it down. But I “corrected” them sir. And when my wife tried to prevent me from doing my duty, I “corrected” her.” — Grady
44. “Stay away from me!” — Wendy Torrance
45. “Thank God you’re here. There’s someone eIse in the hotel with us. There’s a crazy woman in one of the rooms. She tried to strangle Danny.” — Wendy Torrance
46. “Are you out of your fu**ing mind?!” — Jack Torrance
47. “Wendy, listen. Let me out of here and I’ll forget the whole damn thing! It’ll be just like nothing ever happened. Wendy, baby, I think you hurt my head real bad. I’m dizzy, I need a doctor. Honey, don’t leave me here.” — Jack Torrance
48. “Hi, Lloyd. Little slow tonight, isn’t it? HA-HA-HA-HA!” — Jack Torrance
49. “Larry, just between you and me, we got a very serious problem with the people taking care of the place. They turned out to be completely unreliable a**holes.” — Dick Hallorann
50. “That’s strange, sir. I don’t have any recollection of that at all.” — Grady
What’s your favorite horror movie?
Although the golden age of classic horror films and monster slashers was long over by the time The Shining came out in 1980, this Stanley Kubrick film is one of the best horror films of all time.
The Shining ushered in a new era of movie night terror. From artistic long shots to spine-numbing music, Kubrick creates a feeling of absolute dread for the viewer. The film does a magnificent job of replicating the isolation of the hotel on screen, making you feel truly alone even when watching with friends in your own home.
This is definitely a film that will make you want to keep the lights on all night, no matter how many times you’ve seen it!
Did you enjoy these quotes from The Shining? Which quote was your favorite? Let us know in the comments below.
July 16, 2021 7:00 AM EST