These Iyanla Vanzant quotes will inspire and encourage you as you work through your life.
Iyanla Vanzant is a woman with an amazing story to tell.
She went from being a welfare mom to an Emmy Award winner and New York Times best-selling author.
She’s a writer, public speaker, and spiritual life coach.
She now has more than a dozen books published and has been featured on Oprah multiple times.
Iyanla delivers a no-nonsense message in order to help others live their best life through love and forgiveness.
With all of those best-selling books, you know that these Iyanla Vanzant quotes are sure to inspire and motivate.
Don’t forget to also check out these Gordon Ramsay quotes from the international chef and restaurateur.
Iyanla Vanzant quotes on choosing your path in life
1. “We have the ability, right, and power to create whatever we want in our lives.” – Iyanla Vanzant
Everyday Application: This is your life. It is up to you how you live it. You have the power to change your life. Most people fear change, even when they say that is what they want, because of the unknown and work required. That is also your right to decide. At the end of the day, it is all up to you.
2. “Your willingness to look at your darkness is what empowers you to change.” – Iyanla Vanzant
Everyday Application: We all have some kind of past that influences how we feel and behave. Being able to look at it, and give those feelings a name is the first part of healing. That healing, and the resulting mindset, is where we get the desire and belief that we can change.
3. “So many of us invest a fortune making ourselves look good to the world, yet inside we are falling apart. It’s time to invest on the inside.” – Iyanla Vanzant
Everyday Application: It is fine to look nice if that is what you want! Again, it is your life and you choose how you live it. However, falling apart on the inside is not conducive to a life that leaves you feeling fulfilled. Speak kindly to yourself, engage in self-care, and maybe even try therapy. You will be amazed at the impact it has on your world.
4. “I now know that nothing in my life will change until I change the way I see my life and myself.” – Iyanla Vanzant
Everyday Application: Our brains believe what we tell them. So, if you are seeing yourself in a certain way, then your behaviors will match up with that proposed self-image. If you want something else, then change the narrative. This might mean focusing on the positive, building your self-esteem, and learning some new skills.
5. “We must inspire ourselves by believing we have the power to accomplish everything we set out to do.” – Iyanla Vanzant
Everyday Application: We look for sources of inspiration all around us. Whether it is the words or actions of others. However, we can be our own powerful source of inspiration. What have you overcome? Are you honest with yourself about your achievements? Recognize your worth, and know that you are all you need to do what you set out to do.
6. “In any situation, you have the right, power and ability to choose your experience.” – Iyanla Vanzant
Everyday Application: This doesn’t mean there is a right or a wrong way. This means that you are in control of your reaction, not necessarily the situation itself. How will you respond? What actions will you take? How will you view the experience in the future?
7. “Close the door to yesterday, and open your mind, your heart, and your spirit to the blessings of this moment.” – Iyanla Vanzant
Everyday Application: The past is done. The only thing it can do now is help you learn what what went right or wrong. If you can do something with that information in the present, then it is ok to think about it. However, if you are trapped reliving unfortunate events or traumas from your past, try to learn how to heal. Your life is happening now.
8. “The remedy for life’s broken pieces is not classes, workshops or books. Don’t try to heal the broken pieces. Just forgive.” – Iyanla Vanzant
Everyday Application: Forgiveness is key, because it frees us from the anger and resentment. It doesn’t mean you weren’t wronged. It doesn’t mean you have to let someone back into your life. It just means you can be at peace and move forward. However, classes, workshops, books, and therapy can all be great resources!
Encouraging Iyanla Vanzant quotes
9. “The only way to get what you really want is to let go of what you don’t want.” – Iyanla Vanzant
Everyday Application: Instead of trying to juggle too many things, make priorities! If the things that don’t help you get what you want are taking up too much room in your “hands” (or mind or life) then you have to let them go. Free up those hands to be able to grab onto the things that will move the needle in the direction you want it to go!
10. “Remain open. There is something bigger than you know going on here.” – Iyanla Vanzant
Everyday Application: Be vulnerable. Let people see the real you. Possibilities present themselves in strange ways sometimes. Sometimes, a disappointment is a blessing in disguise. You never know what is going to happen, but be open to the idea that when something doesn’t work out, it is because it was not mean for you.
11. “Right where you are is where you need to be. Don’t fight it!” – Iyanla Vanzant
Everyday Application: Everything happens for a reason. Either it is meant to lead you somewhere, teach you something, help you discover part of yourself, or bring new people into your life. Don’t fight the lessons, and just go with the flow!
12. “Move toward your wildest dreams, take the labels off your mind and step boldly into your greatness.” – Iyanla Vanzant
Everyday Application: It is funny how you can start working toward your wildest dreams and then reach them! When that happens you learn just how wild you can really dream. The only limits that exist are those we place on ourselves.
13. “If you are afraid to take a chance, take one anyway. What you don’t do can create the same regrets as the mistakes you make.” – Iyanla Vanzant
Everyday Application: Take the chance because the truth is you will regret the lost opportunity more than the mistake! At least, when you make a mistake you can learn and improve from it. When you don’t take your shot, then you spend the rest of your life wondering what if!
14. “People say I’ve had a difficult time in life. I think I’ve had an exciting time in life.” – Iyanla Vanzant
Everyday Application: Everything is about perspective! You can look at your obstacles as negative struggles, or you can look at them and realize how strong you are. You can look at the things that have happen and recognize the good they brought in their own strange way, or you can focus on the pain. Check out this article for quotes on perspective.
15. “You are the only one who can do it like you do it.” – Iyanla Vanzant
Everyday Application: There is no one in the world who thinks or behaves like you. People may also have similar experiences, but no one’s perspective is the same. We are all unique and should embrace that! Go out there and be the best version of you possible.
16. “Until and unless you know that you are enough just the way you are, you will continue to look for more.” – Iyanla Vanzant
17. “No matter what’s going on in your life today, remember, it’s only preparation. It’s preparation for better things.” – Iyanla Vanzant
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of black women quotes for a boost of inspiration.
Iyanla Vanzant quotes about who you are
18. “Everything that happens to you is a reflection of what you believe about yourself. We cannot outperform our level of self-esteem. We cannot draw to ourselves more than we think we are worth.” – Iyanla Vanzant
Everyday Application: Self-esteem and self-worth help dictate what you think you are capable of and deserve. They shape the things you tell your brain, and your brain will believe what you tell it. If life is not working out quite the way you want it to, then dig deep and look at what you believe about yourself.
19. “Have the courage to be exactly who you are without apology.” – Iyanla Vanzant
20. “When you start a new trail equipped with courage, strength, and conviction, the only thing that can stop you is you.” – Iyanla Vanzant
Everyday Application: When you arm yourself with courage, strength, and conviction, you will find yourself moving or eliminating the goal posts of your limits. The only thing that can stop you are the limits you set in your mind. When you tell yourself that you are brave, strong, and capable, you will be amazed at how much you can actually do.
21. “If you don’t allow yourself to dream, to dare, to move up, out, forward; how will you ever know what you are really capable of?” – Iyanla Vanzant
22. “You have set standards for how you want to be treated and what you expect from yourself and for yourself.” – Iyanla Vanzant
23. “What you tell yourself about yourself, about your life, about your limitations, you will believe.” – Iyanla Vanzant
24. “There comes a moment when you must decide that you are going to believe in yourself. If you believe you have the power, the power is yours.” – Iyanla Vanzant
25. “Rather than beating yourself up for what you are not doing, appreciate and celebrate the things you are doing.” – Iyanla Vanzant
26. “Be willing to share all of who you are. So many of us want a partner, but we’re not willing to show all of us.” – Iyanla Vanzant
27. “Loving yourself has nothing to do with being selfish. It means that you accept yourself for what you are.” – Iyanla Vanzant
28. “We really don’t know how to love each other because we haven’t really learned to love ourselves. In many instances, not all, it’s not malicious. We’ve just been conditioned to such bad behavior.” – Iyanla Vanzant
Have you seen these Margaret Atwood quotes that prove words are powerful?
Motivational Iyanla Vanzant quotes
29. “You must create what you want inside of your heart and mind before you can hope to see it in your world.” – Iyanla Vanzant
30. “I gave myself permission to feel and experience all of my emotions. In order to do that, I had to stop being afraid to feel. In order to do that, I taught myself to believe that no matter what I felt or what happened when I felt it, I would be okay.” – Iyanla Vanzant
31. “You know that you’ve healed an issue when you can talk about it and you’re not weeping, when you can speak to it and identify the lesson. You know that you’ve healed an issue when, having gone through that, has a benefit that you live today.” – Iyanla Vanzant
32. “Just do what you do and do it well. Stop worrying about what other people are doing, or what they will say about what you are doing.” – Iyanla Vanzant
33. “I came from nothing. I came from the projects and welfare and ended up a millionaire with no frame of reference. I was bound to hit a wall sooner or later.” – Iyanla Vanzant
Thought-provoking Iyanla Vanzant quotes
34. “Comparison is an act of violence against the self.” – Iyanla Vanzant
Everyday Application: Most people have heard how comparison is the thief of joy, but this quote takes it to an entire different level. Not only are you robbing your joy, but you are actually inflicting pain and suffering on yourself. If you are going to compare yourself to anyone compare yourself to the person you were yesterday. Otherwise, look to others and their successes as a roadmap to what you can be doing. Learn from them. Don’t let your self be upset that you do not have what they have!
35. “Why can’t women get along? Because we’re afraid. We’re afraid to be vulnerable. We’re afraid to be soft. We’re afraid to be hurt. But most of all, we’re afraid of our power. So we become controlling and aggressive and vicious.” – Iyanla Vanzant
36. “I’m focusing on healing lives and teaching people that they can heal – giving them tools to heal.” – Iyanla Vanzant
37. “I’ve seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. Lived it and I’m still here to talk about it and help someone else if I can.” – Iyanla Vanzant
38. “All of us have ways in which we mask and cover our pain.” – Iyanla Vanzant
39. “What a blessing that God allows a life to come through your body, and then allows you to place that body in a body bag and take it out. I had to say that there’s a magnificent something that God has for me to do, to give me that level of completion. That level of experience. It’s unspeakable.” – Iyanla Vanzant
40. “Any time there is ‘un-forgiveness’ between people who love each other, there is suffering. Any time people face challenges that they really don’t understand… there is suffering.” – Iyanla Vanzant
41. “Pain is pain, hurt is hurt, fear is fear, anger is anger, and it has no color.” – Iyanla Vanzant
42. “Wherever you are, use your time, energy and talents to do the best you can right now.” – Iyanla Vanzant
43. “There is absolutely no reason to ever settle for less than the best.” – Iyanla Vanzant
44. “One of the ways that people avoid taking responsibility for their role in their own pain is what I call the BPs – blame and projection.” – Iyanla Vanzant
45. “Life is a game that is meant to be FUN! Give yourself permission to have FUN!” – Iyanla Vanzant
46. “All things are lessons that God would have us learn.” – Iyanla Vanzant
47. “Begin within. If it shows up in your life, it’s coming to tell you something about you that you’re acting like you don’t know. Something about yourself, or your relationship with God.” – Iyanla Vanzant
48. “I’ve seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. Lived it and I’m still here to talk about it and help someone else if I can.” – Iyanla Vanzant
49. “Some of us pray demands. Some of us pray complaints. Some of us pray knowing, and some of us pray not knowing. But prayer is the attitude that you hold in your heart.” – Iyanla Vanzant
50. “It’s about your heart and about your consciousness. It’s not about the length of time you pray. Some of the most powerful prayers I’ve ever heard come from children, who can barely speak.” – Iyanla Vanzant
You might also like these Bob Goff quotes that will inspire you to love more and dream bigger.
More Iyanla Vanzant quotes
51. “Choice is a divine teacher, for when we choose we learn that nothing is ever put in our path without a reason.” – Iyanla Vanzant
52. “You can never love anyone to your own detriment. That is not love, that is possession, control, fear, or a combination of them all.” – Iyanla Vanzant
53. “One way to eliminate self-negating thoughts and behavior is by gaining more understanding through realizing that you cannot force others to see that what you feel is real.” – Iyanla Vanzant
54. “If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.” – Iyanla Vanzant
55. “When you stand and share your story in an empowering way, your story will heal you and your story will heal somebody else.” – Iyanla Vanzant
56. “Before you find out who you are, you have to figure out who you aren’t.” – Iyanla Vanzant
57. “When you have something to do life will not allow you to move forward until you do it.” – Iyanla Vanzant
58. “When you can look a thing dead in the eye, acknowledge that it exists, call it exactly what it is, and decide what role it will take in your life then, my Beloved, you have taken the first step toward your freedom.” – Iyanla Vanzant
59. “I’d been taught not to like myself, because the people around me didn’t, for whatever reason like me.” – Iyanla Vanzant
60. “Everyone has a purpose because God is a purposeful God.” – Iyanla Vanzant
What did you learn from these Iyanla Vanzant quotes?
If you’re in the position that you are looking for some encouragement or inspiration in life, these quotes may be just the thing that you needed.
While many of these Iyanla quotes are able to inspire, it’s not because she went through an easy life.
She’s able to speak from her own experiences, which makes her message seem even more powerful.
Let these quotes empower you to embrace yourself, forgive if needed, and move forward, choosing the best path for your life.
Don’t be afraid to read through the list multiple times or every day to help keep you inspired as you work on making changes in your life.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Iyanla Vanzant quotes and sayings?
Which other personality should we feature on Everyday power?
Let us know in the comment section below.
July 7, 2022 12:01 AM EST