If you’re looking for a little Christian inspiration, look no further than these Charles Spurgeon quotes.
Charles Spurgeon has been referred to by some as the “Prince of Preachers”. He was a well-known and favorite preacher in the 1800’s in and around London, England.
Spurgeon was a well-spoken preacher who was known for having a baby face but speaking a mature message. He didn’t sugar coat the scripture and was a strong speaker. He spoke to tens of thousands of people.
As you’ll see from these Charles Spurgeon quotes, his message continues to resonate with people more than a hundred years later.
Don’t forget to also check out these Billy Graham quotes about faith.
Charles Spurgeon quotes about God
1. “When your will is God’s will, you will have your will.” – Charles Spurgeon
2. “You will never glory in God till first of all God has killed your glorying in yourself.” – Charles Spurgeon
3. “Men will allow God to be everywhere but on his throne. They will allow him to be in his workshop to fashion worlds and make stars. They will allow Him to be in His almonry to dispense His alms and bestow his bounties. they will allow Him to sustain the earth and bear up the pillars thereof, or light the lamps of heaven, or rule the waves of the ever-moving ocean; but when God ascends Hes throne, His creatures then gnash their teeth. And we proclaim an enthroned God, and His right to do as He wills with His own, to dispose of His creatures as He thinks well, without consulting them in the matter; then it is that we are hissed and execrated, and then it is that men turn a deaf ear to us, for God on His throne is not the God they love. But it is God upon the throne that we love to preach. It is God upon His throne whom we trust.” – Charles Spurgeon
4. “The Lord gets his best soldiers out of the highlands of affliction.” – Charles Spurgeon
5. “Stale godliness is ungodliness. Let our religion be as warm, and constant, and natural as the flow of the blood in our veins. A living God must be served in a living way.” – Charles Spurgeon
6. “God’s thoughts of you are many, let not yours be few in return.” – Charles Spurgeon
7. “A dark cloud is no sign that the sun has lost his light, and dark black convictions are no arguments that God has laid aside His mercy.” – Charles Spurgeon
8. “If you believe in prayer at all, expect God to hear you. If you do not expect, you will not have. God will not hear you unless you believe He will hear you; but if you believe He will, He will be as good as your faith.” – Charles Spurgeon
9. “The Christian should work as if all depended upon him, and pray as if it all depended upon God.” – Charles Spurgeon
10. “The nearer a man lives to God, the more intensely has he to mourn over his own evil heart.” – Charles Spurgeon
Wise Charles Spurgeon quotes
11. “Purposes, plans, and achievements of men may all disappear like a yon cloud upon the mountain’s summit; but, like the mountain itself, the things which are of God shall stand fast forever and ever.” – Charles Spurgeon
12. “There is a power in God’s gospel beyond all description.” – Charles Spurgeon
13. “Prayer is the slender nerve that moves the muscle of omnipotence.” – Charles Spurgeon
14. “Many men owe the grandeur of their lives to tremendous difficulties.” – Charles Spurgeon
15. “None but God would ever have thought of justifying me. I am a wonder to myself.” – Charles Spurgeon
16. “Faith never makes herself her own plea, she rests all her argument upon the blood of Christ.” – Charles Spurgeon
17. “All the goodness I have within me is totally from the Lord alone. When I sin, it is from me and is done on my own, but when I act righteously, it is wholly and completely of God.” – Charles Spurgeon
18. “We are in a wrong state of mind if we are not in a thankful state of mind.” – Charles Spurgeon
19. “Think not that humility is weakness; it shall supply the marrow of strength to thy bones. Stoop and conquer; bow thyself and become invincible.” – Charles Spurgeon
20. “You cannot slander human nature; it is worse than words can paint it.” – Charles Spurgeon
Charles Spurgeon quotes about the Bible
21. “The Bible in the memory is better than the Bible in the book case.” – Charles Spurgeon
22. “Scripture is like a lion. Whoever heard of defending a lion? Just turn it loose; it will defend itself.” – Charles Spurgeon
23. “Some people like to read so many [Bible] chapters every day. I would not dissuade them from the practice, but I would rather lay my soul asoak in half a dozen verses all day than rinse my hand in several chapters. Oh, to be bathed in a text of Scripture, and to let it be sucked up in your very soul, till it saturates your heart!” – Charles Spurgeon
24. “If you cut him, (John Bunyan) he’d bleed Scripture!” – Charles Spurgeon
25. “You need not bring life to the scripture. You should draw life from the scripture.” – Charles Spurgeon
26. “To trifle with Scripture is to deprive yourself of its aid. Reverence it, and look up to God with devout gratitude for having given it to you.” – Charles Spurgeon
27. “The fact is, we sometimes read Scripture, thinking of what it ought to say, rather than what it does say.” – Charles Spurgeon
28. “Dear friends, whenever you want to understand a text of Scripture, try to read the original.” – Charles Spurgeon
29. “Nobody ever outgrows Scripture; the book widens and deepens with our years.” – Charles Spurgeon
30. “The Bible is not the light of the world, it is the light of the Church. But the world does not read the Bible, the world reads Christians! “You are the light of the world.” – Charles Spurgeon
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Bible quotes to get you thinking.
Charles Spurgeon quotes about prayer
31. “If you want that splendid power in prayer, you must remain in loving, living, lasting, conscious, practical, abiding union with the Lord Jesus Christ.” – Charles Spurgeon
32. “No man can do me a truer kindness in this world than to pray for me.” – Charles Spurgeon
33. “A prayerful church is a powerful church…” – Charles Spurgeon
34. “Earnest intercession will be sure to bring love with it. I do not believe you can hate a man for whom you habitually pray. If you dislike any brother, Christian, pray for him doubly, not only for his sake, but for your own, that you may be cured of prejudice and saved from all unkind feeling.” – Charles Spurgeon
35. “I know of no better thermometer to your spiritual temperature than this, the measure of the intensity of your prayer.” – Charles Spurgeon
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of spiritual quotes to help you feel connected to a higher power.
36. “Frequently the richest answers are not the speediest . . . A prayer may be all the longer on its voyage because it is bringing us a heavier freight of blessing. Delayed answers are not only trials of faith, but they give us an opportunity of honoring God by our steadfast confidence in Him under apparent repulses.” – Charles Spurgeon
37. “All our libraries and studies are mere emptiness compared with our closets. We grow, we wax mighty, we prevail in private prayer.” – Charles Spurgeon
38. “Whether we like it or not, asking is the rule of the Kingdom. If you may have everything by asking in His Name, and nothing without asking, I beg you to see how absolutely vital prayer is.” – Charles Spurgeon
39. “Neglect of private prayer is the locust which devours the strength of the church.” – Charles Spurgeon
40. “I have not preached this morning half as much as I have prayed. For every word that I have spoken, I have prayed two words silently to God.” – Charles Spurgeon
More Charles Spurgeon quotes
41. “Atonement is the brain and spinal cord of Christianity. Take away the cleansing blood, and what is left to the guilty?” – Charles Spurgeon
42. “No scene in sacred history ever gladdens the soul like the scene on Calvary.” – Charles Spurgeon
43. “If Christ cannot take care of his church without you, you cannot do it. Be still, and know that he is God.” – Charles Spurgeon
44. “Love your fellowmen, and cry about them if you cannot bring them to Christ. If you cannot save them, you can weep over them. If you cannot give them a drop of cold water in hell, you can give them your heart’s tears while they are still in this body.” – Charles Spurgeon
45. “No man ever need fear offering a reward of a thousand pounds to a contented man, for if anyone came to claim the reward, he would prove his discontent.” – Charles Spurgeon
46. “I, of all men, am perhaps the subject of the deepest depression at times.” – Charles Spurgeon
47. “If God requires of the sinner, dead in sin, that he should take the first step, then he requires just that which renders salvation as impossible under the gospel as it was under the law since man is as unable to believe as he is to obey.” – Charles Spurgeon
48. “Remember, he that believes shall be saved, be his sins ever so many.” – Charles Spurgeon
49. “If all my senses were to contradict God, I would deny every one of them and sooner believe myself to be out of my right mind than believe that God could lie.” – Charles Spurgeon
50. “Our sorrows are all, like ourselves, mortal…They come but blessed be God, they also go. We suffer today, but we shall rejoice tomorrow.” – Charles Spurgeon
What did you learn from these Charles Spurgeon quotes?
Charles Spurgeon was tied in with some controversy when he spoke out against other preachers who seemed to be softening their message to the current day and belief instead of holding true to what the words said.
He was not a man who was going to be led easily away from his beliefs and the message that he shared.
Whether you need comfort, inspiration or a little direction, there is likely to be a Charles Spurgeon quote that shares it with you. Choose your favorites and refer back to them often or memorize them so you can easily recall them.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Charles Spurgeon quotes and sayings? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
December 10, 2020 7:00 AM EST