Fans of Ernest Hemingway or classic literature will love these The Sun Also Rises quotes.
The Sun Also Rises is a novel by Ernest Hemingway that was published by Scribner in 1926.
The book is based on people that Hemingway knew and on his life experiences.
The book’s plot follows an American and a group of expatriates who travel to Spain.
The group meets to celebrate the running of the bulls, and while sharing experiences, they have ups and downs throughout the group, mainly centered around the beautiful and promiscuous Lady Brett Ashley.
Although Lady Brett is engaged, she has multiple affairs with other men in the group as well as a bullfighter named Romero.
Take a look at these The Sun Also Rise quotes to learn more about the novel.
The Sun Also Rises Quotes From Jake
Since the novel follows Jake Barnes, he has a lot to say and narrate.
1. “You were happy a minute ago.” — Jake
2. “I hated to leave France. Life was so simple in France.” — Jake
3. “He no longer had his greatest moments in the bull-ring.” — Jake
4. “Nobody ever lives life all the way up except bull-fighters.” — Jake
5. “I stood up. I had heard them talking from a long way away.” — Jake
6. “I have never seen a man in civil life as nervous as Robert Cohn.” — Jake
7. “But I couldn’t live quietly in the country. Not with my own true love.” — Jake
8. “We all felt good, and we felt healthy, and I felt quite friendly to Cohn.” — Jake
9. “You can’t get away from yourself by moving from one place to another.” — Jake
10. “It was a good morning; there were high white clouds above the mountains.” — Jake
Iconic The Sun Also Rises Quotes
Check out these iconic quotes from the classic 1926 novel.
11. “We could have had such a good time together.” — Brett
12. “I can’t stand it to think my life is going so fast and I’m not really living it.” — Robert
13. “The three of us sat at the table, and it seemed as though about six people were missing.” — Jake
14. “It is awfully easy to be hard-boiled about everything in the daytime, but at night it is another thing.” — Jake
15. “It had rained a little in the night, and it was fresh and cool on the plateau, and there was a wonderful view.” — Jake
16. “Let no man be ashamed to kneel here in the great out-of-doors. Remember the woods were God’s first temples.” — Bill
17. “I looked at myself in the mirror of the big armoire beside the bed . . . of all the ways to be wounded. I suppose it was funny.” — Jake
The Sun Also Rises Quotes For Fans of the Novel
Fans of Hemingway and his novel, The Sun Also Rises, will be sure to love these quotes.
18. “I only thought if you fished them some time it might remind you of what a good time we had.” — Harris
19. “A fog had come over the mountains from the sea…you could not see the tops of the mountains.” — Jake
20. “In the Basque country, the land all looks very rich and green, and the houses and villages look well-off and clean.” — Jake
21. “He was not sure that there were any great moments. Things were not the same, and now life only came in flashes.” — Jake
22. “Robert Cohn was once middleweight boxing champion of Princeton. He cared nothing for boxing, in fact, he disliked it.” — Jake
23. “She was looking into my eyes with that way she had of looking that made you wonder whether she really saw out of her own eyes.” — Jake
24. “I had the feeling as in a nightmare of it all being something repeated, something I had been through and that now I must go through again.” — Jake
25. “It was like certain dinners I remember from the war. There was much wine, an ignored tension, and a feeling of things coming that you could not prevent happening.” — Jake
What Happens to the Group?
Lady Brett’s cheating causes a fistfight between four of the men who want her as their own.
Ultimately, she runs off with the famous bullfighter and leaves her fiance and other lovers.
Unfortunately for Lady Brett, the bullfighter leaves her alone and broke, and she must contact any old love for help and asks to rejoin her fiance.
Please share these The Sun Also Rises quotes with others by clicking the share button!