Enjoy these great Tony Dungy quotes from the legendary player turned coach!
Tony Dungy was born in Jackson, MI, in 1955, and after playing high school football, he earned a scholarship to the University of Minnesota, where he starred as a quarterback.
After not being drafted into the NFL, he changed his position to defensive back and made the Pittsburgh Steelers, where he would play three years and help them win the Super Bowl in 1978.
Dungy then began his coaching career with the Steelers in 1982 as an assistant coach and became the defensive coordinator in 1984.
He would go on to become the head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for six seasons before becoming the head coach of the Indianapolis Colts and winning Super Bowl XLI.
Dungy became the first African-American to lead his team to a Super Bowl victory as a head coach, and he is also famous for his “Tampa 2” defense.
Take a look at these Tony Dungy quotes to learn more about this great man.
Tony Dungy Quotes About Faith
Dungy is a Christian and very open about his Faith, as shown in these quotes.
1. “I’ve said all along that God is in control.” — Tony Dungy
2. “My purpose in life is simply to glorify God.” — Tony Dungy
3. “God allows us to feel pain for a reason: to protect us.” — Tony Dungy
4. “We knew that our family life and our faith walk were more important.” — Tony Dungy
5. “We would be successful in God’s eyes if we did the things that glorify Him.” — Tony Dungy
6. “I coach football. But the good I can do to glorify God along the way is my real purpose.” — Tony Dungy
7. “I have yet to hear God’s audible voice, although I have often felt led by God in more subtle ways.” — Tony Dungy
8. “I don’t have the strength or wisdom to get through a single day without guidance and grace from God.” — Tony Dungy
9. “And if God has given you a lot of ability, I believe you should be held to a higher level of expectation.” — Tony Dungy
10. “We often can’t see what God is doing in our lives, but God sees the whole picture and His plan for us clearly.” — Tony Dungy
Tony Dungy Quotes About Leadership
As a former NFL coach, Dungy has a lot to say about leadership.
11. “Remember that mentor leadership is all about serving.” — Tony Dungy
12. “The best leaders are following Christ. That’s the best leader you can follow.” — Tony Dungy
13. “It’s about serving God by serving others. That’s the mindset of the mentor leader.” — Tony Dungy
14. “A good leader gets people to follow him because they want to, not because he makes them.” — Tony Dungy
15. “You’re born with some things inside you that will allow you to lead, but I think you have to take the bull by the horns.” — Tony Dungy
16. “The secret to success is good leadership, and good leadership is all about making the lives of your team members or workers better.” — Tony Dungy
17. “So, when it comes to effective leadership, it’s not about you and what makes you comfortable or helps you get ahead. It’s about other people.” — Tony Dungy
Motivational Tony Dungy Quotes
As you read these quotes from Tony Dungy, allow them to motivate you.
18. “Respond to adversity; don’t react.” — Tony Dungy
19. “I need to treat everybody fairly, but fair doesn’t always mean equal.” — Tony Dungy
20. “We believed it was not our formations that made us good, but rather how we played.” — Tony Dungy
21. “Some way we have to let our young people know that that leader can look like anyone.” — Tony Dungy
22. “You can’t always control circumstances. However, you can always control your attitude, approach, and response.” — Tony Dungy
23. “People look at me and see a calm, cool guy on the sidelines, and I want them to know that my Christian faith affects my coaching and everything I do.” — Tony Dungy
24. “We have to be careful that we don’t let the pursuit of our life’s goals, no matter how important they seem, cause us to lose sight of our purpose.” — Tony Dungy
25. “We spent our whole married life in the ultra-competitive world of professional football. Lauren and I had always tried to view it through God’s eyes.” — Tony Dungy
Tony Dungy’s Personal Life
Tony Dungy has been married to Lauren Dungy since 1982, and they have 11 children, including eight adopted children.
Dungy is a strong Evangelical Christian and participates in many programs and causes for Christianity and to help others.
Please share these Tony Dungy quotes with others by clicking the share button!