50 Transgender Quotes To Open Your Heart
September 6, 2022 9:00 AM EST
Take a moment to check out these insightful transgender quotes and learn more about what it means.
Share some of your favorite transgender quotes with us in the comment section below.
As a collective, we here on planet earth are still working through some of our issues.
One of those issues is the equal treatment of all human beings regardless of their status or personal identification.
A 2013 Pew poll found that 90% of Americans know someone who is gay, lesbian, or bisexual and about 8% of Americans know someone who is transgender.
In 2013, 72% of LGBTQ homicide victims were transgender women, and a majority were women of color.
As we continue to mature as a species, humanity must make a choice.
Violence against oppressed and vulnerable groups has to stop.
These transgender quotes cast light on the fact that despite our personal differences and preferences, we are all human beings deserving of an opportunity to live a good life.
Open your heart.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
If you want more motivational quotes, check out our motivational quotes category page.
Inspirational transgender quotes
1. “Transgender people really are misunderstood.” — Zoey Tur
2. “Being transgender gives me my personality.” — Jazz Jennings
3. “Every single lesbian and transgender woman is a woman.” — Patricia Arquette
4. “You know, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender – people are people.” — Judith Light
5. “I would not be unhappy were I the last cisgender male to play a female transgender on television.” — Jeffrey Tambor
6. “We have some amazing people that are standing up for transgender people, and it’s very cool to see that.” — Vanessa Ray
7. “I wouldn’t change myself at all. Being transgender makes me who I am: a strong person, a confident person.” — Jazz Jennings
8. “For transgender kids who are struggling, I want them to know they’re not alone. They shouldn’t be afraid to step out of their shadows.” — Jazz Jennings
9. “Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender teens are bullied and ostracized in epidemic proportions. It’s disgusting, and it must change.” — Monica Raymund
10. “Everyone has people in their lives that are gay, lesbian or transgender or bisexual. They may not want to admit it, but I guarantee they know somebody.” — Billie Jean King
Transgender quotes about discrimination
11. “I hope to stop discrimination against young transgender people.” — Jazz Jennings
12. “Nature chooses who will be transgender; individuals don’t choose this.” — Mercedes Ruehl
13. “The struggle isn’t just about being straight or gay or transgender—it’s a human struggle.” — Boy George
14. “The transgender bathroom thing – it’s just so obvious that people are scared of what they don’t understand.” — Nikki Glaser
15. “I don’t think we should be discriminating against anyone. Transgender people are people and deserve the best we can do for them.” — Orrin Hatch
16. “Love doesn’t care how much money you have. It doesn’t care who your parents are. It doesn’t care if you’re gay, straight, or transgender.” — Rumer Willis
17. “Transgender people, especially transgender women of color, face pervasive discrimination throughout life, including by those sworn to protect us.” — Sarah McBride
18. “For many older Americans who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender, a lifetime of discrimination has undermined their right to a retirement with dignity.” — Ted Deutch
19. “Obviously, there is much similarity among the challenges of transgender people and all women—from health care to harassment to discrimination in the workplace.” — Gloria Steinem
20. “I want to make sure that people understand that, behind this national conversation around transgender rights, there are real people who hurt when they’re mocked, who hurt when they’re discriminated against, and who just want to be treated with dignity and respect.” — Sarah McBride
Transgender quotes about what it is and means
21. “Being transgender isn’t a medical transition. It’s a process of learning to love yourself for who you are.” — Jazz Jennings
22. “My pronouns are she, her, and hers. I identify as female, specifically as a transgender female. And my name is Josie Totah.” — Josie Totah
23. “It’s something you’re born with, and you realize that you’re trapped in the wrong body. It’s not like one day you’re like, ‘I want to be transgender!’” — Jazz Jennings
24. “I don’t want the same trans story to be told over and over again. I don’t want people to get stuck on this very western idea of what it means to be transgender.” — Hari Nef
25. “I’ve always been transgender, and I always will be. Having said that, my spirit is feminine. If you had to divide humanity into two groups, I would sit with the women.” — Anohni
26. “I hope I can help convince people there that being transgender is not a big deal and that we are just average people trying to go to school, work, and live good lives.” — Nicole Maines
27. “I learned a lot more about transgender people. It’s not a choice, but a physiological condition that has to do with the size of the hypothalamus part of the brain.” — Mercedes Ruehl
28. “Historically, our culture has not made room for the nuances of humanity. People have not been kept safe: women, people of colour, queer people, transgender people.” — Indya Moore
29. “There’s a gender in your brain and a gender in your body. For 99 percent of people, those things are in alignment. For transgender people, they’re mismatched. That’s all it is. It’s not complicated.” — Chaz Bono
30. “The transgender community has always been a part of Hawaiian society, where people who don’t conform to the binary system of man/woman, masculine/feminine are accepted or, at minimum, tolerated.” — Janet Mock
Quotes about transgender pride and fear
31. “I always enjoyed doing transgender songs.” — Patti Smith
32. “I am a huge fan of the transgender community.” — Kesha
33. “Transgender women especially feel like we have to fit the binary system to a T in order to not be recognized as trans.” — Fallon Fox
34. “I am very proud of the role I played in getting legal equality for people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender.” — Barney Frank
35. “When I realised I was transgender I was so afraid of what my transition would do to everyone else in my life and how they would react to it and would I be rejected?” — Chaz Bono
36. “There’s power in naming yourself, in proclaiming to the world that this is who you are. Wielding this power is often a difficult step for many transgender people because it’s also a very visible one.” — Janet Mock
37. “Being LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender) in Russia is anything but fun.”-Conchita “I think being a teenager is a difficult journey in and of itself, but being transgender makes it that much harder.” — Jazz Jennings
38. “Transgender folks have been part of the push for LGBT equality from the beginning, and we’ve spoken with loud and intelligent voices and have found political and personal success and advancement all over the world.” — Chelsea Manning
39. “I want to help transgender individuals who might be struggling realize that they have to love themselves and stay true to who they are because if they keep moving forward, and keep a positive attitude, then things will get better.” — Jazz Jennings
40. “The way I see things is that, I think that transgender people are super brave. If you’re a female to male, male to female, if you’re that brave to take control of your own body and make it however you want it to be, more power to you.” — Carmen Carrera
Transgender quotes from various perspectives
41. “Transgender doesn’t need to imply loud.” — Kubra Sait
42. “I’ve always had a lot of gay friends; transgender friends.” — Malik Yoba
43. “There are so few books for little kids that actually mention the word transgender and explain what it is in simple terms.” — Jazz Jennings
44. “Rejecting your gay or transgender child won’t make them straight. It will only mean you will lose them.” ― Christina Engela, Inanna Rising: Women Forged in Fire
45. “My parents started questioning me about whether or not I was transgender – whether or not I was trying to be a woman. It was a big argument.” — James Charles
46. “The unique problem for transgender women in prison is that our health and welfare are also the responsibility of those charged with overseeing us.” — Chelsea Manning
47. “Because you never know when a transgender person is going to come into your life, you need to be prepared, and you need to be ready to help them.” — Nicole Maines
48. “It was easier to forget, or be dismissive about, transgender issues when there weren’t transgender staffers or interns walking the halls of the White House.” — Sarah McBride
49. “I believe marriage equality is a simple change that sends a powerful message. It is a chance for us to say, as a nation, to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and intersex Australians: your love is equal under the law.” — Bill Shorten
50. “A lot of people, when they look at the whole trans thing, they think,’Oh, you’re transgender, and in the fashion industry, which is very pro-LGBT, so you don’t have any problems because it’s a progressive place.’ But that’s not the reality.” — Andreja Pejic
What is it like being transgender?
This issue is larger than swimmers, bathrooms, surgeries, flags, or symbols.
British singer Boy George once pointed out how this is an issue that impacts all of us, noting, “The struggle isn’t just about being straight or gay or transgender – it’s a human struggle.”
We must recognize that each of us is a reflection of each other.
A GLAAD study of transgender Americans found they are nearly four times more likely to have a household income under $10,000 per year, although 87% of transgender people have completed at least some college and 47% have a degree.
Even when seeking help from the law, trans people deal with harassment from police and oftentimes violence.
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. proudly proclaimed that an injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere.
We can create a world where nobody has to hurt themselves or anyone else to find happiness.
Share your thoughts with us in the comment section below.