To learn more about this woman that spent her life giving to others, read these Amy Carmichael quotes.
Amy Carmichael was born in Millisle, Ireland, in 1867 and died in Dohnavur, India, in 1951 at the age of 83.
She was an Irish woman who devoted her life to being a Christian Missionary serving in India.
You might also enjoy these related articles:
Later, she opened an orphanage and founded a mission in India called the Dohnavur Fellowship, which still supports people today.
Carmichael’s work as a missionary led many later missionaries to credit her with being an influence on them.
She wrote many books about her experiences as a missionary in India, including the books If, Edges of His Ways, Candles In The Dark, and many more.
Take a look at these Amy Carmichael quotes to learn more about this inspirational woman.
Amy Carmichael Quotes to Inspire You
As a woman who lived for God, she inspired many people and showed them God.
1. “You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving.” — Amy Carmichael
2. “Do not fight the thing in detail: turn from it. Look ONLY at your Lord.” — Amy Carmichael
3. “God, hold us to that which drew us first when the Cross was the attraction, and we wanted nothing else.” — Amy Carmichael
4. “Our loving Lord is not just present, but nearer than the thought can imagine – so near that a whisper can reach Him.” — Amy Carmichael
5. “No one sees these little hidden steps. They only see the accomplishment, but even so, those small steps were taken.” — Amy Carmichael
6. “Satan is so much more in earnest than we are–he buys up the opportunity while we are wondering how much it will cost.” — Amy Carmichael
7. “It is great to be faced with the impossible, for nothing is impossible if one is meant to do it. Wisdom will be given, and strength.” — Amy Carmichael
8. “Let us not be surprised when we have to face difficulties. When the wind blows hard on a tree, the roots stretch and grow the stronger, let it be so with us.” — Amy Carmichael
9. “Blessed are the single-hearted, for they shall enjoy much peace. If you refuse to be hurried and pressed, if you stay your soul on God, nothing can keep you from that clearness of spirit which is life and peace.” — Amy Carmichael
10. “If the praise of others elates me and their blame depresses me; if I cannot rest under misunderstanding without defending myself; if I love to be loved more than to love, to be served more than to serve, then I know nothing of Calvary love.” — Amy Carmichael
Wise Amy Carmichael Quotes
Through the Holy Spirit, Amy was wise beyond her years.
11. “It is a safe thing to trust Him to fulfill the desires which He creates.” — Amy Carmichael
12. “Joy is perfect acquiescence ~ acceptance, rest ~ in God’s will, whatever comes.” — Amy Carmichael
13. “All along, let us remember we are not asked to understand, but simply to obey.” — Amy Carmichael
14. “Oh, will you pray? Stop now and pray, lest desire turn to feeling and feeling evaporate.” — Amy Carmichael
15. “I pray thee hush the hurrying, eager longing, I pray thee soothe the pangs of keen desire.” — Amy Carmichael
16. “We have all eternity to celebrate the victories but only a few hours before sunset to win them.” — Amy Carmichael
17. “It is not the place where we are or the work that we do or cannot do that matters; it is something else. It is the fire within that burns and shines, whatever be our circumstances.” — Amy Carmichael
You will also enjoy our article on Voddie Baucham quotes.
Amy Carmichael Quotes About God
Amy Carmichael was undeniably a woman of God who loved Him above all else.
18. “When the Lord leads, He always strengthens.” — Amy Carmichael
19. “Can we follow the Savior far, who have no wound or scar?” — Amy Carmichael
20. “He said, “Love…as I have loved you.” We cannot love too much.” — Amy Carmichael
21. ”When I consider the cross of Christ, how can anything that I do be called sacrifice?” — Amy Carmichael
22. “The hope that is left after all your hopes are gone—that is pure hope, rooted in the heart of God.” — Amy Carmichael
23. “If I put my own good name before the other’s highest good, then I know nothing of Calvary love.” — Amy Carmichael
24. “God delights to meet the faith of one who looks up to Him and says, ‘Lord, You know that I cannot do this–but I believe that you can!’” — Amy Carmichael
25. “Give me the Love that leads the way, The Faith that nothing can dismay, The Hope no disappointments tire, The Passion that’ll burn like fire, Let me not sink to be a clod, Make me Thy fuel, Flame of God.” — Amy Carmichael
How Did Carmichael’s Early Life Influence Her?
Amy was born to David and Catherine Carmichael, who were both devout Christians.
Her family founded the Welcome Evangelical Church, and Amy started a Sunday morning class for girls there.
Amy continued to serve others in the church.
Eventually, she felt called to the mission field.
She would eventually spend the last 55 years of her life serving as a missionary in India.
Please share these Amy Carmichael quotes with your friends and family and post any comments about this inspirational woman in the comment section below.