These Blade Runner quotes will take you back to the 80s when everyone had wild ideas about what the future would look like.
Tell us your thoughts on the movie in the comment section below.
Blade Runner, starring Harrison Ford, is a 1982 science fiction film that is set in the dystopian future of 2019.
Thankfully, 2019 looked nothing like the film!
In the movie, synthetic humans known as ‘replicants’ are bio-engineered by the powerful Tyrell Corporation to work in space colonies.
In 2019 Los Angeles, former police officer Rick Deckard is detained by officer Gaff and brought before his former supervisor, Bryant.
Deckard, who is now a “blade runner,” tracks down bio-engineered humanoids known as ‘replicants’ and ‘retires’ them (permanently).
Bryant informs Deckard that four replicants are inhabiting the earth illegally.
This visually stimulating film follows Deckard’s efforts to find and retire the androids.
There is a little romance, too, as Deckard falls in love with Tyrell’s assistant, a replicant that was given memories that enable her to have some emotional responses.
Enjoy these Blade Runner quotes!
Don’t forget to also check out these American Psycho quotes that will leave you feeling disturbed.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our inspirational quotes category page for more inspirational life quotes.
‘Emotional’ Blade Runner quotes
1. “All the courage in the world cannot alter fact.” — Niander Wallace
You will also enjoy our article on lighthouse quotes.
2. “Sometimes to love someone, you got to be a stranger.” — Rick Deckard
3. “Quite an experience to live in fear, isn’t it? That’s what it is to be a slave.” — Batty
You will also enjoy our article on Frankenstein quotes.
4. “Pain reminds you the joy you felt was real. More joy, then! Do not be afraid.” — Niander Wallace
5. “I always knew you were special. Maybe this is how. A child. Of woman born. Pushed into the world. Wanted. Loved.” — Joi
6. “Is this to be an empathy test? Capillary dilation of the so-called blush response? Fluctuation of the pupil. Involuntary dilation of the iris…” ― Tyrell
7. “The first thought one tends to fear, to preserve the clay. It’s fascinating. Before we even know what we are, we fear to lose it.” — Niander Wallace
8. “They all think it’s about more detail. But that’s not how memory works. We recall with our feelings. Anything real should be a mess.” — Dr. Ana Stelline
9. “We began to recognize in them a strange obsession. After all, they are emotionally inexperienced, with only a few years in which to store up the experiences which you and I take for granted. If we gift them with a past, we create a cushion or a pillow for their emotions, and consequently, we can control them better.” ― Tyrell
You will also enjoy our article on everything happens for a reason quotes.
Blade Runner quotes from Roy Batty and other characters
10. “WAKE UP, TIME TO DIE!” — Leon
11. “The only way you can hurt him is to kill him.” — Bryant
12. “It’s not an easy thing to meet your maker.” — Roy Batty
13. “It’s too bad she won’t live, but then again who does?” — Gaff
14. “He can breathe okay as long as nobody unplugs him.” — Bryant
15. “Death. Well, I’m afraid that’s a little out of my jurisdiction.” — Tyrell
16. “The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and you have burned so very, very brightly Roy.” ―Tyrell
17. “Our lives mean nothing next to a storm that’s coming. Dying for the right cause. It’s the most human thing we can do.” — Freysa
18. “The facts of life… to make an alteration in the evolvement of an organic life system is fatal. A coding sequence cannot be revised once it’s been established.” ― Tyrell
19. “I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.” ― Roy Batty
Blade Runner 2049 quotes
20. “Half as much but twice as elegant, sweetheart.” — K
21. “I had your job once. I was good at it.” — Rick Deckard
22. “There’s a little of every artist in their work.” — Dr. Ana Stelline
23. “You newer models are happy scraping the shit… because you’ve never seen a miracle.” — Sapper Morton
24. “That baby meant we are more than just slaves. If a baby can come from one of us, we are our own masters.” — Freysa
25. “The World is built in a wall that separates kind. Tell either side there’s no wall, you’ve bought a war. Or a slaughter.” — Lieutenant Joshi
More Blade Runner quotes
Critics had mixed reviews about the film, praising its cinematic quality, but bemoaning the slower pace.
However, the movie was a hit among fans and influenced video games, anime, and television shows.
2019 might not have featured androids infiltrating the earth, but some of the movie’s themes were relevant.
Corporate power creates paranoia and distrust among humanity.
The police are omnipresent and corrupt.
Like many dystopian films, it taps into our fears about technology and losing natural life.
There is an ongoing debate about whether Deckard himself is a replicant.
The writer, director, and Harrison Ford all had different opinions and ultimately left it ambiguous.
In the director’s cut, there are scenes that lead the viewer to believe he is a replicant.
What do you think?
Are you team human or team replicant?
Let us know in the comment section below, along with any other favorite Blade Runner quotes and lines.