Blade Runner, starring Harrison Ford, is a 1982 science fiction film that is set in the dystopian future of 2019. Thankfully, 2019 looked nothing like the film! In the movie, synthetic humans known as ‘replicants’ are bio-engineered by the powerful Tyrell Corporation to work in space colonies.
In 2019 Los Angeles, former police officer Rick Deckard is detained by officer Gaff and brought before his former supervisor, Bryant. Deckard, who is now a “blade runner” tracks down bio-engineered humanoids known as ‘replicants’ and ‘retires’ them (permanently). Bryant informs Deckard that four replicants are inhabiting the earth illegally.
This visually stimulating film follows Deckard’s efforts to find and retire the androids. There is a little romance too, as Deckard falls in love with Tyrell’s assistant, a replicant that was given memories that enable her to have some emotional responses. Enjoy these Blade Runner quotes!
Don’t forget to also check out these American Psycho quotes that will leave you feeling disturbed.
‘Emotional’ Blade Runner quotes
1. “Pain reminds you the joy you felt was real. More joy, then! Do not be afraid.” — Niander Wallace
2. “Sometimes to love someone, you got to be a stranger.” — Rick Deckard
3. “All the courage in the world cannot alter fact.” — Niander Wallace
4. “I always knew you were special. Maybe this is how. A child. Of woman born. Pushed into the world. Wanted. Loved.” — Joi
5. “They all think it’s about more detail. But that’s not how memory works. We recall with our feelings. Anything real should be a mess.” — Dr. Ana Stelline
6. “The first thought one tends to fear, to preserve the clay. It’s fascinating. Before we even know what we are, we fear to lose it.” — Niander Wallace
7. “Quite an experience to live in fear, isn’t it? That’s what it is to be a slave.” — Batty
8. “Is this to be an empathy test? Capillary dilation of the so-called blush response? Fluctuation of the pupil. Involuntary dilation of the iris…” ― Tyrell
9. “We began to recognize in them a strange obsession. After all, they are emotionally inexperienced, with only a few years in which to store up the experiences which you and I take for granted. If we gift them with a past, we create a cushion or a pillow for their emotions, and consequently, we can control them better.” ― Tyrell
Blade Runner quotes from Roy Batty and other characters
10. “Our lives mean nothing next to a storm that’s coming. Dying for the right cause. It’s the most human thing we can do.” — Freysa
11. “It’s too bad she won’t live, but then again who does?” — Gaff
12. “It’s not an easy thing to meet your maker.” — Roy Batty
13. “Death. Well, I’m afraid that’s a little out of my jurisdiction.” — Tyrell
14. “He can breathe okay as long as nobody unplugs him.” — Bryant
15. “The facts of life… to make an alteration in the evolvement of an organic life system is fatal. A coding sequence cannot be revised once it’s been established.” ― Tyrell
16. “The only way you can hurt him is to kill him.” — Bryant
17. “The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and you have burned so very, very brightly Roy.” ―Tyrell
18. “WAKE UP, TIME TO DIE!” — Leon
19. “I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.” ― Roy Batty
Blade Runner 2049 quotes
20. “Half as much but twice as elegant, sweetheart.” — K
21. “I had your job once. I was good at it.” — Rick Deckard
22. “You newer models are happy scraping the shit… because you’ve never seen a miracle.” — Sapper Morton
23. “The World is built in a wall that separates kind. Tell either side there’s no wall, you’ve bought a war. Or a slaughter.” — Lieutenant Joshi
24. “That baby meant we are more than just slaves. If a baby can come from one of us, we are our own masters.” — Freysa
25. “There’s a little of every artist in their work.” — Dr. Ana Stelline
26. “I always told you. You’re special. Your history isn’t over yet. There’s still a page left.” — Joi
27. “The whole town was somethin’. One time. Forget your troubles, see a show, gamble a little. Winsome money, lose some money. They made money seem like candy.” — Rick Deckard
28. “It was very clever to keep yourself empty of information, and all it cost you was everything.” — Niander Wallace
Short Blade Runner quotes
29. “More human than human is our motto.” — Tyrell
30. “You know the score, pal. If you’re not a cop, you’re little people!” — Harry Bryant
31. “Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch!” — Leon
32. “That was irrational of you… not to mention unsportsmanlike.” — Roy Batty
33. “I’m not in the business. I am the business.” — Rachael
34. “I’ve done questionable things.” — Roy Batty
35. “Can the maker repair what he makes?” — Roy Batty
36. “You’ve done a man’s job, sir. I guess you’re through, huh?” — Gaff
37. “Revel in your time.” — Tyrell
38. “My Mother… let me tell you about my Mother!” — Leon
39. “If only you could see what I’ve seen with your eyes!” — Roy Batty
40. “There’s a part of me in you…” — J.F. Sebastian
Blade Runner quotes that make you laugh or cry
41. “Is this testing whether I’m a Replicant or a lesbian, Mr. Deckard?” — Rachael
42. “Talk about Beauty and the Beast — she’s both.” — Bryant
43. “Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent. I thought you were supposed to be good. Aren’t you the “good,” man? C’mon, Deckard. Show me what you’re made of.” ― Roy Batty
44. “Replicants are like any other machine, are either a benefit or a hazard. If they’re a benefit, it’s not my problem.” ― Rick Deckard
45. “Fiery, the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled round their shores. Burning with the fires of Orc.” ― Roy Batty
46. “I need ya, Deck. This is a bad one, the worst yet. I need the old blade runner, I need your magic.”― Bryant
47. “I’m Deckard. Blade Runner. B Two sixty-three fifty-four. I’m filed and monitored.” ― Rick Deckard
48. “I was quit when I came in here. I’m twice as quit now.” ― Rick Deckard
49. “Replicants are like any other machine. They’re either a benefit or a hazard. If they’re a benefit, it’s not my problem.” ― Rick Deckard
50. “Don’t be an asshole, Deckard. I’ve got four skin-jobs walking the streets.” ― Bryant
More Blade Runner quotes
Critics had mixed reviews about the film, praising its cinematic quality, but bemoaning the slower pace. However, the movie was a hit among fans and influenced video games, anime, and television shows.
2019 might not have featured androids infiltrating the earth, but some of the movie’s themes were relevant. Corporate power creates paranoia and distrust among humanity. The police are omnipresent and corrupt. Like many dystopian films, it taps into our fears about technology and losing natural life.
There is an ongoing debate about whether Deckard himself is a replicant. The writer, director, and Harrison Ford all had different opinions and ultimately left it ambiguous. In the director’s cut, there are scenes that lead the viewer to believe he is a replicant.
What do you think? Are you team human, or team replicant? Let us know in the comment section below, along with any other favorite Blade Runner quotes and lines.
April 19, 2021 7:00 AM EST