These Breakfast At Tiffany’s quotes come from both the novel and the movie, and gather the best lines from Holly all in one place!
I had never seen this movie before, or even read the book, but I knew it existed for two reasons.
The first is Audrey Hepburn, who is basically considered royalty in Hollywood.
The second reason is the song by Deep Blue Something, Breakfast At Tiffany’s.
The lyrics tell the story of two lovers who feel like they have grown apart and have nothing in common and then the singers belt out these iconic lyrics of nearly everyone’s favorite 90s song, “And I said what about Breakfast at Tiffany’s.
She said I think I remember the film and as I recall I think we both kind of liked it.
And I said well that’s the one thing we’ve got.”
Breakfast at Tiffany’s is a 1961 American romantic comedy that also tells the story of two lovers who do not have very much in common.
Holly, played by Audrey Hepburn, is a naïve, eccentric ‘café society’ girl.
She falls in love with a struggling writer named Paul, played by George Peppard.
Keep reading through these Breakfast At Tiffany’s quotes for a good laugh.
If you haven’t watched the film, they might inspire you to go watch it, just like they did for me.
Breakfast at Tiffany’s quotes from the novel
1. “I don’t want to own anything until I find a place where me and things go together.” ― Truman Capote
2. “We don’t belong to each other: he’s an independent, and so am I.” ― Truman Capote
3. “Everybody has to feel superior to somebody,” she said. “But it’s customary to present a little proof before you take the privilege.” ― Truman Capote
4. “Reading dreams. That’s what started her walking down the road. Every day she’d walk a little further: a mile, and come home. Two miles, and come home. One day she just kept on.” ― Truman Capote
5. “Love should be allowed. I’m all for it. Now that I’ve got a pretty good idea what it is.” ― Truman Capote
6. “Leave it to me: I’m always top banana in the shock department.” ― Truman Capote
7. “The answer is good things only happen to you if you’re good. Good? Honest is more what I mean… Be anything but a coward, a pretender.” ― Truman Capote
8. “I told you: you can make yourself love anybody.” ―Truman Capote
9. “I’m very scared, Buster. Yes, at last. Because it could go on forever. Not knowing what’s yours until you’ve thrown it away.” ― Truman Capote
10. “You’re wrong. She is a phony. But on the other hand you’re right. She isn’t a phony because she’s a real phony. She believes all this crap she believes. You can’t talk her out of it.” ― Truman Capote
Breakfast at Tiffany’s quotes from conversations between Holly and Paul
11. Paul Varjak: [about Holly and Jose] So you’re getting married, then?
Holly Golightly: Well, he hasn’t really asked me, not in so many words.
12. Paul Varjak: Four you mean?
Holly Golightly: Huh?
Paul Varjak: Well that’s how many it takes: will you marry me?”
13. Holly Golightly: Don’t you just love it?
Paul Varjak: Love what?
Holly Golightly: Tiffany’s! ”
14. Holly: Rusty Troller… he happens to be the ninth richest man in America under fifty.
Paul: Now that, indeed, is a remarkable piece of information to have at your fingertips!
Holly: I keep track of these things.”
15. Holly: Do you think she’s talented? [Paul turns toward her] Deeply and importantly talented?
Paul: No. Amusingly and superficially talented, yes, but . . . deeply and importantly, no
16. Holly: Well let me tell you something, mister. If I had her money, I’d be richer than she is!
Paul: How do you figure that?
Holly: Because I keep the candy store.
17. Holly: I’ll never let anyone put me in a cage!
Paul: I don’t want to put you in a cage, I wanna love you.
Holly: Same thing!
18. Paul: I love you.
Holly: So what.
Short Breakfast at Tiffany’s quotes from Holly Golightly
19. ”But I am mad about Jose. I honestly think I’d give up smoking if he asked me.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
20. “Promise me one thing: don’t take me home until I’m drunk – very drunk indeed.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
21. “Sally helps me with my accounts. I have no head for figures at all.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
22. “Stop blushing, Fred. You didn’t say you’re a genius, I did.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
23. “But just remember, I’m the agent. He’s already got a decorator. I’m the agent.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
24. “It should take you exactly four seconds to cross from here to that door. I’ll give you two.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
25. “I’ll never get used to anything. Anybody that does, they might as well be dead.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
Which of these Breakfast at Tiffany’s quotes is your favorite?
Blake Edwards directed the film, which was written by George Axelrod.
This classic film was adapted from Truman Capote’s 1958 novella also named Breakfast At Tiffany’s.
The film achieved both commercial and critical success and has continued to be a beloved rom-com.
There are so many memorable scenes in this film, including the opening scene where Holly is gazing into Tiffany’s window front.
Throughout the film, Holly deals with several different men, including her ex-husband and a Brazilian politician.
At one point, she plans on marrying a man named Trawler for his money.
Along the course of their friendship, though, she and Paul have fallen in love.
It is a rom-com, so if you haven’t seen it, you can still probably guess how the movie ends!
If you have seen it, be sure to let us know your favorite Breakfast at Tiffany’s quotes and lines from the film in the comment section below.
August 10, 2022 5:00 AM EST