These Breakfast At Tiffany’s quotes come from both the novel and the movie, and gather the best lines from Holly all in one place!
I had never seen this movie before, or even read the book, but I knew it existed for two reasons. The first is Audrey Hepburn, who is basically considered royalty in Hollywood.
The second reason is the song by Deep Blue Something, Breakfast At Tiffany’s. The lyrics tell the story of two lovers who feel like they have grown apart and have nothing in common and then the singers belt out these iconic lyrics of nearly everyone’s favorite 90s song, “And I said what about Breakfast at Tiffany’s. She said I think I remember the film and as I recall I think we both kind of liked it. And I said well that’s the one thing we’ve got.”
Breakfast at Tiffany’s is a 1961 American romantic comedy that also tells the story of two lovers who do not have very much in common.
Holly, played by Audrey Hepburn, is a naïve, eccentric ‘café society’ girl. She falls in love with a struggling writer named Paul, played by George Peppard.
Keep reading through these Breakfast At Tiffany’s quotes for a good laugh. If you haven’t watched the film, they might inspire you to go watch it, just like they did for me.
Breakfast at Tiffany’s quotes from the novel
1. “I don’t want to own anything until I find a place where me and things go together.” ― Truman Capote
2. “We don’t belong to each other: he’s an independent, and so am I.” ― Truman Capote
3. “Everybody has to feel superior to somebody,” she said. “But it’s customary to present a little proof before you take the privilege.” ― Truman Capote
4. “Reading dreams. That’s what started her walking down the road. Every day she’d walk a little further: a mile, and come home. Two miles, and come home. One day she just kept on.” ― Truman Capote
5. “Love should be allowed. I’m all for it. Now that I’ve got a pretty good idea what it is.” ― Truman Capote
6. “Leave it to me: I’m always top banana in the shock department.” ― Truman Capote
7. “The answer is good things only happen to you if you’re good. Good? Honest is more what I mean… Be anything but a coward, a pretender.” ― Truman Capote
8. “I told you: you can make yourself love anybody.” ―Truman Capote
9. “I’m very scared, Buster. Yes, at last. Because it could go on forever. Not knowing what’s yours until you’ve thrown it away.” ― Truman Capote
10. “You’re wrong. She is a phony. But on the other hand you’re right. She isn’t a phony because she’s a real phony. She believes all this crap she believes. You can’t talk her out of it.” ― Truman Capote
Breakfast at Tiffany’s quotes from conversations between Holly and Paul
11. Paul Varjak: [about Holly and Jose] So you’re getting married, then?
Holly Golightly: Well, he hasn’t really asked me, not in so many words.
12. Paul Varjak: Four you mean?
Holly Golightly: Huh?
Paul Varjak: Well that’s how many it takes: will you marry me?”
13. Holly Golightly: Don’t you just love it?
Paul Varjak: Love what?
Holly Golightly: Tiffany’s! ”
14. Holly: Rusty Troller… he happens to be the ninth richest man in America under fifty.
Paul: Now that, indeed, is a remarkable piece of information to have at your fingertips!
Holly: I keep track of these things.”
15. Holly: Do you think she’s talented? [Paul turns toward her] Deeply and importantly talented?
Paul: No. Amusingly and superficially talented, yes, but . . . deeply and importantly, no
16. Holly: Well let me tell you something, mister. If I had her money, I’d be richer than she is!
Paul: How do you figure that?
Holly: Because I keep the candy store.
17. Holly: I’ll never let anyone put me in a cage!
Paul: I don’t want to put you in a cage, I wanna love you.
Holly: Same thing!
18. Paul: I love you.
Holly: So what.
Short Breakfast at Tiffany’s quotes from Holly Golightly
19. ”But I am mad about Jose. I honestly think I’d give up smoking if he asked me.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
20. “Promise me one thing: don’t take me home until I’m drunk – very drunk indeed.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
21. “Sally helps me with my accounts. I have no head for figures at all.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
22. “Stop blushing, Fred. You didn’t say you’re a genius, I did.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
23. “But just remember, I’m the agent. He’s already got a decorator. I’m the agent.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
24. “It should take you exactly four seconds to cross from here to that door. I’ll give you two.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
25. “I’ll never get used to anything. Anybody that does, they might as well be dead.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
26. “Hand me my purse, will you, darling? A girl can’t read that sort of thing without her lipstick.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
27. “Anyone who ever gave you confidence, you owe them a lot.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
28. “I thought if I’m marrying a south American, I’d better find out something about the country. ” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
29. “It’s all gone. Isn’t that too bad? Got any whiskey upstairs?” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
30. “I’m in a terrible rush. Grand central station, and step on it darling.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
Breakfast at Tiffany’s quotes about men, marriage, and love
31. “No, no, you disapprove of me. And I will not accept drinks from gentlemen who disapprove of me. I’ll pay for my own whiskey and don’t you forget it!” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
32. “I do not accept drinks from disapproving gentlemen. Especially not from disapproving gentlemen who are kept by the ladies. So take it. You should be used to taking money from ladies by now.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
33. “You could always tell what kind of a person a man thinks you are by the earrings he gives you. I must say, the mind reels.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
34. “I’ll tell you one thing, Fred, darling… I’d marry you for your money in a minute. Would you marry me for my money?” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
35. “Years from now, years and years, I’ll be back… me and my nine Brazilian brats. They’ll be dark like Jose, of course, but they’ll have bright green, beautiful eyes. I’ll bring them back, all right, because they must see this. Oh, I love New York.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
36. “Look, I know what you’re thinking, and I don’t blame you. I’ve always thrown out such a jazzy line, but really, except for Doc and yourself, Jose’s my first non-rat romance. Not that he’s my idea of the absolute finito. He’s too prim and cautious to be my absolute ideal.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
37. “Let’s get something straight. I am not now nor have I ever been Fred, nor am I Benny Shacklett, whoever he may be. My name is Paul – Paul Varjak… and I love you.” ― Paul Varjak, (George Peppard)
38. “I certainly had him pegged wrong, didn’t I? I thought he was just a rat, but he was a super rat all along – a super rat in rat’s clothing” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
39. “You know what’s wrong with you, Miss Whoever-you-are? You’re chicken, you’ve got no guts. You’re afraid to stick out your chin and say, “Okay, life’s a fact, people do fall in love, people do belong to each other because that’s the only chance anybody’s got for real happiness.” ― Paul Varjak, (George Peppard)
39. [takes out the ring and throws it in Holly’s lap] Here. I’ve been carrying this thing around for months. I don’t want it anymore. ― Paul Varjak, (George Peppard)
Random Breakfast at Tiffany’s quotes about money, yaks, and everything else
40. “Well, when I get it the only thing that does any good is to jump in a cab and go to Tiffany’s. Calms me down right away. The quietness and the proud look of it; nothing very bad could happen to you there. If I could find a real-life place that’d make me feel like Tiffany’s, then – then I’d buy some furniture and give the cat a name!” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
41. “I’m like cat here, a no-name slob. We belong to nobody, and nobody belongs to us. We don’t even belong to each other.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
42. “I’ve got to do something about the way I look. I mean a girl just can’t go to Sing Sing with a green face.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
43. “You know what’s gonna happen to you? I am gonna march you over to the zoo and feed you to the yak.” ― Mag Wildwood, (Dorothy Whitney)
44. “No. The blues are because you’re getting fat and maybe it’s been raining too long, you’re just sad that’s all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you’re afraid and you don’t know what you’re afraid of. Do you ever get that feeling?” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
45. “I’m trying desperately to save some money, you know I told you. I just can’t seem to. He makes me write down everything in there. What I get, what I spend. I used to have a checking account. He made me get rid of that. He feels, for me anyway, that it’s better to operate on a cash basis, taxwise. ” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
46. “What’s the matter? Don’t you think I can do it? Tell me. Seriously, I’m interested. Don’t you think I can? ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
47. “Ok, positive statement. Ringing affirmative. I’m a writer.” ― Paul Varjak, (George Peppard)
48. “I don’t think I’ve ever drunk champagne before breakfast before. With breakfast on several occasions, but never before, before.” ― Paul Varjak, (George Peppard)
49. “I’m not Holly! I’m not Lula Mae either. I don’t know who I am. I’m like Cat here. We’re a couple of no-name slobs. We belong to nobody, and nobody belongs to us. We don’t even belong to each other.” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
50. “You stay right where you are. You must be absolutely exhausted. I mean, it’s very late, and you were sound asleep and everything. I suppose you think I’m very brazen or tres fou or something. ” ― Holly Golightly, (Audrey Hepburn)
Which of these Breakfast at Tiffany’s quotes is your favorite?
Blake Edwards directed the film, which was written by George Axelrod. This classic film was adapted from Truman Capote’s 1958 novella also named Breakfast At Tiffany’s.
The film achieved both commercial and critical success and has continued to be a beloved rom-com. There are so many memorable scenes in this film, including the opening scene where Holly is gazing into Tiffany’s window front.
Throughout the film, Holly deals with several different men, including her ex-husband and a Brazilian politician. At one point, she plans on marrying a man named Trawler for his money.
Along the course of their friendship, though, she and Paul have fallen in love. It is a rom-com, so if you haven’t seen it, you can still probably guess how the movie ends!
If you have seen it, be sure to let us know your favorite Breakfast at Tiffany’s quotes and lines from the film in the comment section below.
October 19, 2021 7:00 AM EST