This Presidents Day quotes collection will help you honor our past Presidents and the ways in which they shaped our country with vision and dignity.
Presidents Day is celebrated on the third Monday of February to honor iconic presidents. It is a time celebrate the courage, conviction and contributions of our national statesmen and American presidents.
Originally established in recognition of President George Washington, the holiday is now widely known as Presidents Day. It is popularly viewed as a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents, not just George Washington.
Despite its popular name, this federal holiday is officially called George Washington’s Birthday. Washington’s February 22 birthday
was celebrated for many years before it was moved as part of 1971’s Uniform Monday Holiday Act to create a three-day weekend.
On this day, people across the nation have an opportunity to explore the life and contributions of America’s past leaders with activities that showcase their greatest accomplishments.
Our presidents symbolize the values that Americans hold dear – courage, conviction, justice and equality. To help you honor them, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and thought-provoking Presidents Day quotes.
Also check out these wise presidential quotes from past presidents.
Presidents Day quotes celebrating past US presidents
1. “The harder the conflict, the greater the triumph.” – George Washington
2. “The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.” – James Madison
3. “Honesty is the first chapter of the book wisdom.” – Thomas Jefferson
4. “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.” – Abraham Lincoln
5. “America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand.” – Harry S. Truman
6. “Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.” – John Quincy Adams
7. “The American, by nature, is optimistic. He is experimental, an inventor and a builder who builds best when called upon to build greatly.” – John F. Kennedy
8. “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.” – Theodore Roosevelt
9. “You can do what you have to do, and sometimes you can do it even better than you think you can.” – Jimmy Carter
10. “It is hard to fall, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.” – Franklin Roosevelt
Presidents Day quotes to honor the long history of our nation’s highest office
11. “We must work to bind up the wounds of a suffering world — to build an abiding peace, a peace rooted in justice and in law.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower
12. “Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.” – Bill Clinton
13. “As powerful as our memories are, our dreams must be even stronger. For when our memories outweigh our dreams, we become old.” – Barack Obama
14. “Leadership to me means duty, honor, country. It means character, and it means listening from time to time.” – George W. Bush
15. “We can’t help everyone, but everyone can help someone.” – Ronald Reagan
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Ronald Reagan quotes from the former United States President.
16. “Ideas control the world.” – James A Garfield
17. “One man with courage makes a majority.” ― Andrew Jackson
18. “It’s easier to do a job right, than to explain why you didn’t.” ― Martin Van Buren
19. “There is nothing more corrupting, nothing more destructive of the noblest and finest feelings of our nature, than the exercise of unlimited power.” ― William Henry Harrison
20. “You don’t know what you can miss before you try.” ― Franklin Pierce
Presidents Day quotes to honor our past presidents
21. “There are men and women who make the world better just by being the kind of people they are. They have the gift of kindness or courage or loyalty or integrity. It really matters very little whether they are behind the wheel of a truck or running a business or bringing up a family. They teach the truth by living it.” ― James Garfield
22. “Words without actions are the assassins of idealism.” ― Herbert Hoover
23. “Our country may be likened to a new house. We lack many things, but we possess the most precious of all – liberty.” – James Monroe
24. “Every good citizen makes his country’s honor his own, and cherishes it not only as precious but as sacred. He is willing to risk his life in its defense and is conscious that he gains protection while he gives it.” – Andrew Jackson
25. “I should be pleased to see all the nations on the earth prosperous and happy and rich, for it would furnish to me the best evidence of the prosperity of my native land.” – John Tyler
26. “No president who performs his duties faithfully and conscientiously can have any leisure.” – James K. Polk
27. “In all disputes between conflicting governments, it is our interest not less than our duty to remain strictly neutral.” – Zachary Taylor
28. “God knows I detest slavery but it is an existing evil, and we must endure it and give it such protection as is guaranteed by the Constitution.” – Millard Fillmore
29. “The test of leadership is not to put greatness into humanity, but to elicit it, for the greatness is already there.” – James Buchanan
30. “In every battle there comes a time when both sides consider themselves beaten, then he who continues the attack wins.” – Ulysses S. Grant
Which of these Presidents Day quotes was your favorite?
American statesmen and presidents are the foundation of a country built upon justice, equality and the preservation of human rights.
Hopefully, the above quotes will help you pay homage to the achievements and contributions of the past presidents.
Did you enjoy these Presidents Day quotes? Which of the quotes was your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.
May 5, 2019 8:29 AM EST